2001-02

Guest Howaythetoon

Guest Howaythetoon

I remember the close-season very well, we were linked with a whole host of players, lots of big names, lots of lesser known names. We ended up signing unknowns in Bellamy and Robert mainly with Distin arriving on loan too. We lost out on our number 1 targets Jeffers and Zenden. The mood in Toon was one of pessimism. We'd finished 11th the season before and had spunked £10m on an unknown French bloke and £6m on a player who struggled at relegated Coventry. No-one was impressed. Rumours circulated that Bobby had no money to spend or that the then board were pissing about too much in the transfer market. In pre-season we looked a mess too, collapsing at home to Troyes in a 4-4 draw which drew angry responses from the crowd.

Our first game of the season was away at Stamford Bridge against a Chelsea side kitted out with £35m plus of talent (Zenden included) and were being talked about as one of the faves for the title. Many expected a hammering, especially given our injuries and what appeared to be a totally lopsided team that took to the pitch that day (Given, Barton, Elliott, Hughes, Dabizas, Robert, Acuna, Bassedas, Lee, Ameobi, Bellamy). WE DREW. We performed stoically if not brilliantly. That give people a little bit of hope. It disappeared a few days later when Troyes won on away goals in what was a pitiful performance however.

Another wasted season then...

It didn't quite turn out like that though did it?

Today in 2008 that very season gets looked back on as perhaps one of the most memorable we'll ever likely to witness. I know it ranks as one of my faves, perhaps even eclipsing the season we missed out on the title. It was a great season, the entertainers were back and we finished 4th against all the odds.

This close-season reminds me so much of that one. A messy pre-season in terms of matches, transfer market frustration, rumours of financial prudence, the manager a mere face to placate fans and Man Utd away on opening day. The mood isn't great is it?

Me?

I truly believe we'll have a very good season and starting at Old Trafford where I predict a rare win for our boys.

I'm sick of all the doom and gloom. People citing Guthrie as a nobody for example. He is a typical KK signing believe it or not (Guppy, Allen, Mathie, Lee even), as are the others and we haven't finished yet. There is no power struggle, the club isn't to be sold and we are making progress in many ways in all areas.

The trouble with fans today though is they are ultra impatient and have allowed themselves to be consumed by all things black and white (with the media acting as cheerleaders) leading to no gray areas on all issues concerning the club. Hysteria is common place these days, at both ends of the spectrum.

This for me has been the worst summer of the lot for all that nonsense. Just look at on here and its the same on every Toon forum. We are in good company though because all over the web on rival fan forums the same hysteria and lack of gray matter is prevalent.

Roll on the season.

My predictions:

Guthrie will turn into a steal.

Spiderman will have us on our seats.

Owen will contrinue to score goals.

Martins will excite and frustrate equally, mostly excite.

Collocini will be a beast.

SJP will become a fortress again.

Beye will be Beye.

Given will return to form.

We'll score goals.

We'll win games.

We'll do well.

We'll finish top 8.

I haven't looked so forward to a season (and you all know how optimistic I can get) as this one in ages. We know KK inside out but there is still enough of a surprise element there (the switch to 4-3-3, Owen in midfield) to keep us all on our toes. Fucking hell, we are starting a new season under KK, KING KEV. Who would have thought it, eh? Just like 2001-02...

COME ON THE TOON!

Can't wait.  :thup:

PS WE WILL ENJOY IT. I fucking will.

I remember the close-season very well, we were linked with a whole host of players, lots of big names, lots of lesser known names. We ended up signing unknowns in Bellamy and Robert mainly with Distin arriving on loan too. We lost out on our number 1 targets Jeffers and Zenden. The mood in Toon was one of pessimism. We'd finished 11th the season before and had spunked £10m on an unknown French bloke and £6m on a player who struggled at relegated Coventry. No-one was impressed. Rumours circulated that Bobby had no money to spend or that the then board were pissing about too much in the transfer market. In pre-season we looked a mess too, collapsing at home to Troyes in a 4-4 draw which drew angry responses from the crowd.

Our first game of the season was away at Stamford Bridge against a Chelsea side kitted out with £35m plus of talent (Zenden included) and were being talked about as one of the faves for the title. Many expected a hammering, especially given our injuries and what appeared to be a totally lopsided team that took to the pitch that day (Given, Barton, Elliott, Hughes, Dabizas, Robert, Acuna, Bassedas, Lee, Ameobi, Bellamy). WE DREW. We performed stoically if not brilliantly. That give people a little bit of hope. It disappeared a few days later when Troyes won on away goals in what was a pitiful performance however.

Another wasted season then...

It didn't quite turn out like that though did it?

Today in 2008 that very season gets looked back on as perhaps one of the most memorable we'll ever likely to witness. I know it ranks as one of my faves, perhaps even eclipsing the season we missed out on the title. It was a great season, the entertainers were back and we finished 4th against all the odds.

This close-season reminds me so much of that one. A messy pre-season in terms of matches, transfer market frustration, rumours of financial prudence, the manager a mere face to placate fans and Man Utd away on opening day. The mood isn't great is it?

Me?

I truly believe we'll have a very good season and starting at Old Trafford where I predict a rare win for our boys.

I'm sick of all the doom and gloom. People citing Guthrie as a nobody for example. He is a typical KK signing believe it or not (Guppy, Allen, Mathie, Lee even), as are the others and we haven't finished yet. There is no power struggle, the club isn't to be sold and we are making progress in many ways in all areas.

The trouble with fans today though is they are ultra impatient and have allowed themselves to be consumed by all things black and white (with the media acting as cheerleaders) leading to no gray areas on all issues concerning the club. Hysteria is common place these days, at both ends of the spectrum.

This for me has been the worst summer of the lot for all that nonsense. Just look at on here and its the same on every Toon forum. We are in good company though because all over the web on rival fan forums the same hysteria and lack of gray matter is prevalent.

Roll on the season.

My predictions:

Guthrie will turn into a steal.

Spiderman will have us on our seats.

Owen will contrinue to score goals.

Martins will excite and frustrate equally, mostly excite.

Collocini will be a beast.

SJP will become a fortress again.

Beye will be Beye.

Given will return to form.

We'll score goals.

We'll win games.

We'll do well.

We'll finish top 8.

I haven't looked so forward to a season (and you all know how optimistic I can get) as this one in ages. We know KK inside out but there is still enough of a surprise element there (the switch to 4-3-3, Owen in midfield) to keep us all on our toes. f***ing hell, we are starting a new season under KK, KING KEV. Who would have thought it, eh? Just like 2001-02...

COME ON THE TOON!

Can't wait.  :thup:

PS WE WILL ENJOY IT. I f***ing will.

Brilliant stuff....always enjoy your posts. :clap:

Guest Howaythetoon

Btw the old nufc.nu board was just like this one back in that close season, albeit a watered down version. I had hell on trying to get some positivity going. I proclaimed we'd win the league. Well 4th wasn't too far off. Next season I said we'd win the league and CL double. 3rd and almost reaching the quarters... again not bad. Top 8 is fuck all, we can do that. In fact I don't believe KK, he'll be aiming higher than that and I wouldn't bet against him. I'm so looking forward to a full season of KK for the first time since 96. I got my two nephews a season ticket this season, that's how excited I am, I didn't want them missing out on what promises to be. They can't wait and neither can I.

Btw the old nufc.nu board was just like this one back in that close season, albeit a watered down version. I had hell on trying to get some positivity going. I proclaimed we'd win the league. Well 4th wasn't too far off. Next season I said we'd win the league and CL double. 3rd and almost reaching the quarters... again not bad. Top 8 is f*** all, we can do that. In fact I don't believe KK, he'll be aiming higher than that and I wouldn't bet against him. I'm so looking forward to a full season of KK for the first time since 96. I got my two nephews a season ticket this season, that's how excited I am, I didn't want them missing out on what promises to be. They can't wait and neither can I.

I think we're in for a good season and wouldn't bet against us getting back into Europe, at the minute that will depend on us avoiding injuries but even that could still change during the next 3 weeks or so.

Guest Howaythetoon

Do you want to get me a season ticket too? Since you're so excited?

It's very noble of him seeing as he'd washed his hands with the club when Big Sam was sacked.

Lovers tiff, everything's fine now.

I'm not going to make any predictions really until the end of the window. A couple of attacking, creative, decent players would improve us greatly. As it is I'd say we're top 10 material with most of the players fit.

It's very noble of him seeing as he'd washed his hands with the club when Big Sam was sackedSouness was hired.

Guest Howaythetoon

If you have a chance of getting one, snap their hands off tbh because if things do turn around, they'll be like gold dust.

It's very noble of him seeing as he'd washed his hands with the club when Big Sam was sackedSouness was hired.

I was gutted when he was appointed, it's possibly the worst feeling I've ever had regarding Newcastle and I've been through relegations.

I was gutted when he was appointed, it's possibly the worst feeling I've ever had regarding Newcastle and I've been through relegations.

That was the day I lost all optimism. I've never felt that Pre-Souness good feeling in years.