Manchester United 1 - 1 Newcastle - 17/08/08 - post match reaction from page 26

Dave

Guest tenbobnote

definitely playing well.  great to see them breaking up MU in midfield.  need a bit more to finish but a huge improvement.

We get the ball, and with everyone (bar Butt), I actually feel confident that we'll do something decent with it.

I love it.

Yep, this is the thing. I'm even getting excited when Damien Duff gets on the ball ffs. That's what Keegan has changed - that feeling of excitement when you're in possession.

Am I the only person who thinks that Newcastle United is playing better in this game than in any game last season? We're moving it around fluently, keeping our own in midfield and Jonas Gutierrez + Coloccini are looking like fantastic additions. Milner is a different player in midfield - He's filled that playmaking role fantastically. Granted, Manchester United don't have their best squad on the pitch, but if we play like this against 70% of the teams in the EPL, we'll have a decent shot at Europe next season.

Eh? Milner has done practically nothing except to hit a good cross towards an invisible player of ours at the back post.

Guest musika

Wish Milner would push up more or at least try something more positive with his passes because passing it back to Beye/Taylor is useless. We're not even keeping possession any longer because the defenders pump it back up anyway.

Overall, a pretty good half, innit? We can win this. Howay the lads!

Err - For the first 30 minutes we had barely touched the ball. If Deco or Iniesta did what Milner has been doing, they'd be praised for controlling the tempo. When you're being outplayed and can barely get a touch on the ball, you don't try to push forward the moment you have the ball - That's fuelling the fire and ends up resulting in scrappy and rushed play. Milner has done a fantastic job at slowing the game down and giving our midfield some composure.

My 2 cents :-)

Guest Mcdonald36

Which genius at Sky thought it would be a good idea to employ Jamie Redknapp and Dion Dublin as pundits?

They come out with the most dull, generic, cliched crap.

Guest Toon1981

I'd love to see us try and take the initiative by getting zog up the left straight after half time.  fletcher and brown aint special at all.

Guest tenbobnote

I dont know why most people are so insistent on getting Duff off, he hasnt played bad.

agree, he hasn't done much wrong.

Performing well but the defence is too deep, Milner is a liability defending, he's jockying mid air when the player is 10 yards away, get into him ffs.

I agree about Milner, but he's not the only one. We need to get a bit closer. It's a question of confidence as much as anything.

I think we should put milner up front with martins and duff on the wing. I would also take butt off and put Geremi on, can't be any worse can he?

No need IMO, we're playing well, we're level, the last thing we want to do is go making substitutions.

Duff and Butt will do as squad platers for us but with the others in this side they deserve better players around them, will be Owen in for Duff when he's back and a new DCM for Duff, we will be top 8 at least.

Wish Milner would push up more or at least try something more positive with his passes because passing it back to Beye/Taylor is useless. We're not even keeping possession any longer because the defenders pump it back up anyway.

Overall, a pretty good half, innit? We can win this. Howay the lads!

Err - For the first 30 minutes we had barely touched the ball. If Deco or Iniesta did what Milner has been doing, they'd be praised for controlling the tempo. When you're being outplayed and can barely get a touch on the ball, you don't try to push forward the moment you have the ball - That's fuelling the fire and ends up resulting in scrappy and rushed play. Milner has done a fantastic job at slowing the game down and giving our midfield some composure.

My 2 cents :-)

Milner's been arguably our main weak link for me, he's just painfully average. No pace, no real crossing ability, and he's not cut inside today once i don't think.

I can't remember the last time I've felt this optimistic, even if we lose this game, we've played well enough this half, with some key players missing to show that with a few signings we could be playing in Europe next season.