New England Captain

Gash
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest quklaani

Capello won't do much better with england than his predecessors.  This appointment only highlights how little he is willing to change.  John Terry is about the fifth best english defender and barely scrapes the top ten in the premiership.  He's continually been shown up at the highest level.  I don't really consider myself english (I support Northern Ireland, my father's country) so fortunately I don't have to care and have long since given up a strong interest in the national team of the country I live in, but its still frustrating that Capello has proven to be so gutless.  England will do better, he'll be more Sven than Shteve, but they still wont get past the quarters in any tournament, nor will they play even remotely decent football. 

In the next world cup the following players will start: Terry, Gerrard, Lampard, both the coles, Owen, Beckham. 

Meet the New Boss, Same as the Old Boss.

Ferdinand gets vice-captain.

So that means if anyone else is to get a look in at central defence, Fabio will have to drop either his captain or vice captain (Barring injuries of course)

looks like Capello has painted himself into a corner somewhat

Ferdinand gets vice-captain.

So that means if anyone else is to get a look in at central defence, Fabio will have to drop either his captain or vice captain (Barring injuries of course)

looks like Capello has painted himself into a corner somewhat

This is what I was thinking. I bet all the young English centre halves are chuffed with this annoucement. And some people question why Carragher doesn't bother anymore.

Guest Immsy7

Tbh...The only chance anyone has got of getting in the England squad is if you are a striker to play alongside Rooney or GK.

All the rest are 'Untouchables'

Capello won't do much better with england than his predecessors.  This appointment only highlights how little he is willing to change.  John Terry is about the fifth best english defender and barely scrapes the top ten in the premiership.  He's continually been shown up at the highest level.  I don't really consider myself english (I support Northern Ireland, my father's country) so fortunately I don't have to care and have long since given up a strong interest in the national team of the country I live in, but its still frustrating that Capello has proven to be so gutless.  England will do better, he'll be more Sven than Shteve, but they still wont get past the quarters in any tournament, nor will they play even remotely decent football. 

In the next world cup the following players will start: Terry, Gerrard, Lampard, both the coles, Owen, Beckham. 

you would say that though wouldn't you. Very daft to say he's the 5th best english defender when in truth only Rio is and the rest cant get near him

Guest hikickry

Tbh...The only chance anyone has got of getting in the England squad is if you are a striker to play alongside Rooney or GK.

All the rest are 'Untouchables'

also, playing for tottenham seems to give you a shot > see jermaine jenas.  :angry:

He isn't, like. Only Rio is better than him. Also, Capello seems to have indicated that Lampard and Gerrard probably won't be starting together too much.

Wow, so much wrong with that post, so little time. I'll keep it simple by telling you that you're wrong. :)

Wow, so much wrong with that post, so little time. I'll keep it simple by telling you that you're wrong. :)

It's extreme, but there are parts of it that I agree with.  So far, Capello has still shown that he's willing to stick with the old guard, hasn't put together anything great performance-wise and hasn't really played attractive football, except perhaps T&T.  The only decent team they've played, France (who actually may not even be as decent as we thought after Euro 2008), England looked really uninspired. 

As far as Capello and his honors and success go, he's clearly one of the best of his generation, but I think it's fair to hold off on him being a success with this team until England have comfortably qualified for the World Cup.

Guest quklaani

No I'm not, and I'll continue to be proved right on all counts.  The stuff about England being the same as ever needs no further argument, you'll see in time.  Theres always a slim chance Rooney or Gerrard will have a stunner and win England a tournament, but I doubt it.  And Carragher is easily better than Terry (and I'm a Man Utd fan ffs) as are King and Woodgate, the three times a season they're fit.  I don't honestly think hes much better than Wes Brown, who is invariably slagged off but is always there or there abouts in the Man Utd side for a reason.  Chelsea's defensive set up has covered for the lionheart for years, without Carvalho or Gallas next to him and Makelele in front of him he's a joke.  He gets away with it in the league because of the way english football is, but in champions league he often looks out of his depth, and he's never played well for England.  He's also a cunt, not that thats especially relevant, but its worth mentioning.  I've no problem with him in the team if the others are unavailable or retiring because they can't be arsed, but making him undroppable is an embarassment to the national team.  He's also just so symptomatic of about 2/3 of the problems with english football, its absurdly symbolic.  Feck the whole thing, I'm not sure why anyone outside of those thugs who support league 2 sides in the south east bother with england anyway.

I don't think he's a good captain (I would have preferred David James) but I don't think Terry is England's biggest problem either.  Defending doesn't seem to be the big issue.  Rio, Terry, Richards, Woodgate....plenty of really good options that I'd be happy with.  Same at right-back and left-back. 

Capello's real challenge between now and the important qualifiers is to work out some midfield chemistry that doesn't fall apart against a decent side like Croatia and to unearth a consistent goal scorer for the national side.  Hopefully Rooney will actually score a few this campaign, but maybe Ashton, Bent, Defoe or even Agbonlahor can step up and earn a regular place (I'll include Owen in that list for now).  At the moment they are all completely average given the quality available to other top sides in the world.  Until someone comes along, I'd be happy playing Rooney by himself.  England have the midfield talent to make a 4-5-1/4-3-3 exciting and competitive but it just hasn't been used properly yet.  I'd rather give the likes of Ashley Young, Joe Cole & SWP regular caps in the qualifiers than run of the mill strikers that haven't scored regularly in the league.  The likes of Defoe & Ashton (even Rooney really, despite his ability) should be earning their place by banging in the goals.  Instead, all of the top scorers in England are foreign. 

Feck the whole thing, I'm not sure why anyone outside of those thugs who support league 2 sides in the south east bother with england anyway.

I support England because I'm English. Crazy concept?

I agree re: Terry though. I've thought he was very overrated for a while and is not half the player Rio is.

I'd love to see:

---------------James-----------

Richards--Ferdinand---Terry---Cole

----------Barry----Carrick-------

---Bentley-----Gerrard-----Young

-------------Bent/Ashton-------

Don't really give a shit about who's captain, think the role is overrated.

How Ashley Young doesn't get in the team is totally beyond me. The best English player on show over the past 12 months by a million miles. I still maintain that if he'd have played in those final group games instead of Joe Cole, we'd have gone to Euro 2008.