So, who's signing in the final week?

Coxaux
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think lots of people underestimate KK's self-belief in getting the best out of players who have been underperforming for us for too long now. How do we know he automatically wants rid of the same players we do?

He sees Smith, Duff, Butt, Milner etc every day in training, we don't. It wouldn't amaze me if he thinks there's something to work with there, however small it looks to us on match day.

I suppose what I'm saying is that not replacing players doesn't necessarily mean there are problems behind the scenes etc.

problem isn't behind the scenes though with the players you name there, it's on the pitch - where they're shite!! ;)

i think you're right about this however, trouble is in many cases we're not even talking about replacing (except FWs), we're talking about supplementing

If we're talking about supplementing, why are the likes of Bassong ignored then? Guthrie is a weird one as I assumed he would be a squad player but looks better than that, but still - if we just need to fill out the squad, why the complaints when players don't cost £10m each?

I think lots of people underestimate KK's self-belief in getting the best out of players who have been underperforming for us for too long now. How do we know he automatically wants rid of the same players we do?

He sees Smith, Duff, Butt, Milner etc every day in training, we don't. It wouldn't amaze me if he thinks there's something to work with there, however small it looks to us on match day.

I suppose what I'm saying is that not replacing players doesn't necessarily mean there are problems behind the scenes etc.

problem isn't behind the scenes though with the players you name there, it's on the pitch - where they're s****!! ;)

i think you're right about this however, trouble is in many cases we're not even talking about replacing (except FWs), we're talking about supplementing

If we're talking about supplementing, why are the likes of Bassong ignored then? Guthrie is a weird one as I assumed he would be a squad player but looks better than that, but still - if we just need to fill out the squad, why the complaints when players don't cost £10m each?

The squad fillers in essence should be Duff, Smith, Milner, Zoggy, Butt.

Buy quality in those positions and the squad would look very healthy indeed.

So only another 5 and we're laughing!  :pow:

problem isn't behind the scenes though with the players you name there, it's on the pitch - where they're s****!! ;)

Nice in theory, but adding five new quality players to the wage bill (and shifting the no doubt hefty wages of Duff, Smith and Butt onto the bench/out of the squad) just isn't realistic. Yet some seem to think we can accomodate this and should be doing so.

We've got some shit players here, many probably on big money. But until they leave we can't just keep adding to them. Our biggest problem is nobody seems to want them.

I'm pessimistic, in that I think anyone we'll sign will appear to be steady, average meh signings, if we even sign anyone at all, and people are going to be complaining about it hugely - think Rossi and Sibierski.

Having said that, I'm optimistic that these people will be proved wrong.

Nice in theory, but adding five new quality players to the wage bill (and shifting the no doubt hefty wages of Duff, Smith and Butt onto the bench/out of the squad) just isn't realistic. Yet some seem to think we can accomodate this and should be doing so.

We've got some shit players here, many probably on big money. But until they leave we can't just keep adding to them. Our biggest problem is nobody seems to want them.

dave, you want me to send you letter in braille about this "complaining 'cause players don't cost 10m" bullshit you're always wheeling out?  i have my opinion on the types of outlay the club should be putting into players as a WHOLE, i'm entitled to that, but i think you'd really struggle to find a post from me COMPLAINING about any of the recent signings we've made on the basis of price, nor going mental 'cause colo cost 10m

anyhow back to topic: what bontempi says is basically right albeit tongue in cheek, as is what you say and that's the problem...

i never discounted bassong, i counted him as the 3rd CB actually...i'd like to see cacapa replaced then we'd have a strong four CBs assuming the new guy was good

CMs i'm like you, now counting guthrie as a starter and rightly so it seems...butt/geremi on the other hand need covering with either better players (preferably) or younger up and comers - so that's a supplement

FWs owen/viduka can't be relied upon and need supplementing, smith/ameobi are shite and needs replacing

fairly simple stuff

I'm pessimistic, in that I think anyone we'll sign will appear to be steady, average meh signings, if we even sign anyone at all, and people are going to be complaining about it hugely - think Rossi and Sibierski.

Having said that, I'm optimistic that these people will be proved wrong.

guthrie was a "meh" signing, not too many "meh's" about the lad so far!

Guest sicko2ndbest

Geremi and Smith are both going to be on £3million a year + contracts for 3-4 years with no sell on value. Anyone on these wages should be definate starters offering top 4 level performances that can change games for the better

If thats not justification for the new set up and giving Allardyce the sack, i dont know what is.

dave, you want me to send you letter in braille about this "complaining 'cause players don't cost 10m" bullshit you're always wheeling out?  i have my opinion on the types of outlay the club should be putting into players as a WHOLE, i'm entitled to that, but i think you'd really struggle to find a post from me COMPLAINING about any of the recent signings we've made on the basis of price, nor going mental 'cause colo cost 10m

anyhow back to topic: what bontempi says is basically right albeit tongue in cheek, as is what you say and that's the problem...

i never discounted bassong, i counted him as the 3rd CB actually...i'd like to see cacapa replaced then we'd have a strong four CBs assuming the new guy was good

CMs i'm like you, now counting guthrie as a starter and rightly so it seems...butt/geremi on the other hand need covering with either better players (preferably) or younger up and comers - so that's a supplement

FWs owen/viduka can't be relied upon and need supplementing, smith/ameobi are shite and needs replacing

fairly simple stuff

Firstly, I never specifically referred to you did I? I was going on about the general theme and feeling on the forum at times.

Secondly, we can't just shift Butt and Geremi (both probably making a fortune in wages here) down the list and bring in new players on similarly huge money. It just won't stand up given that we already had the fifth biggest wage bill in the league and aren't anywhere near that in reality. We can bring in young players yes but many on here don't seem to like that. They want them replaced, with someone loads better.

I agree the likes of Cacapa, Smith and Ameobi need replacing, but we can't force clubs to take them, can we? :(

I don't expect Ashley to be chucking money left, right and centre, but he has made approaches for players who cost a fair bit so I don't think we're that hard up. I can accept there needs to be some balancing of the books but if it's the case players need to be shipped out before others come in, I would put this down to another season of transition. I think at full strength we are ok, but if we have many games like tomorrow with make do and mend first 11's we will end up dropping too many points to finish top 8.

Geremi and Smith are both going to be on £3million a year + contracts for 3-4 years with no sell on value. Anyone on these wages should be definate starters offering top 4 level performances that can change games for the better

If thats not justification for the new set up and giving Allardyce the sack, i dont know what is.

To be fair, if the old set up could afford it at the time, then it doesn't matter. Regardless of whose fault it is, the facts are we can't really afford it now. The papers and some fans look at a billionaire in charge and expect him to be splashing out like Abramovich. Well if he plans on leaving as they'd have us believe, I'd rather he didn't drop us in the shit with a load of debt, thanks. :lol:

Btw, you might get a bit of stick for the comment in bold. I read this quote from Arsene Wenger with interest:

"I find Barry a good player. The problems with players who are 27, 28 is that you pay big money but you get nothing back, no resale."

Guest Gallowgate Mag

If we can get one more signing of Gutierrez and Coloccini quality for the centre of midfield I think it'll set us up nicely for the season. Being greedy, someone like that Pog guy or Warnock for left back cover would be excellent.

fairly simple stuff

Firstly, I never specifically referred to you did I? I was going on about the general theme and feeling on the forum at times.

Secondly, we can't just shift Butt and Geremi (both probably making a fortune in wages here) down the list and bring in new players on similarly huge money. It just won't stand up given that we already had the fifth biggest wage bill in the league and aren't anywhere near that in reality. We can bring in young players yes but many on here don't seem to like that. They want them replaced, with someone loads better.

I agree the likes of Cacapa, Smith and Ameobi need replacing, but we can't force clubs to take them, can we? :(

cool, i can't write braille anyways

as for your other stuff all well and good i say, you're right some people won't be happy unless we sign 4 players the quality/price of diego, but most right minded people have accepted that that is neither likely, nor in reality is it sustainable presently

what should be sustainable, given the amount we've spent so far, is one top drawer signing either at CF or CM (that will cost money, that's unavoidable) plus 2-3 less established players to come in and prove themselves around the squad

should that scenario happen i reckon there'd be few complaints...should nothing else happen this window then as you say being unhappy is entirely justifiable imo

cool, i can't write braille anyways

:lol:

as for your other stuff all well and good i say, you're right some people won't be happy unless we sign 4 players the quality/price of diego, but most right minded people have accepted that that is neither likely, nor in reality is it sustainable presently

what should be sustainable, given the amount we've spent so far, is one top drawer signing either at CF or CM (that will cost money, that's unavoidable) plus 2-3 less established players to come in and prove themselves around the squad

should that scenario happen i reckon there'd be few complaints...should nothing else happen this window then as you say being unhappy is entirely justifiable imo

:thup:

Guest sicko2ndbest

To be fair, if the old set up could afford it at the time, then it doesn't matter. Regardless of whose fault it is, the facts are we can't really afford it now. The papers and some fans look at a billionaire in charge and expect him to be splashing out like Abramovich. Well if he plans on leaving as they'd have us believe, I'd rather he didn't drop us in the s*** with a load of debt, thanks. :lol:

Btw, you might get a bit of stick for the comment in bold. I read this quote from Arsene Wenger with interest:

"I find Barry a good player. The problems with players who are 27, 28 is that you pay big money but you get nothing back, no resale."

Ashley sanctioned these didnt he?

Smith is my biggest gripe as he has cost the club a fortune, over £10 million to date with wages and fee.