So, who's signing in the final week?

Coxaux
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

All the 'New Board Brown-nosers' have been banging the 'we've still got time...i'm confident we'll bring in the players...blah blah blah' all summer. We now get to a day and a half left (after they told us it's taking this long cause deals take months) and we're still told we've got time (but deals take months don't they?!)

Remind me of that story (fictitious) where the King sat on the shore thinking he could push the tide back. The waves came in and rose and rose, and his advisors told him to get up and leave as he couldn't do it. He thought he ''still had time'' too. Silly F***** drowned tho!

But we haven't been doing nothing have we? We've already brought in 4 good players.

We've brought in two good players and two squad players and we have let 8 players go, 3 of whom could be considered first team players..

All the 'New Board Brown-nosers' have been banging the 'we've still got time...i'm confident we'll bring in the players...blah blah blah' all summer. We now get to a day and a half left (after they told us it's taking this long cause deals take months) and we're still told we've got time (but deals take months don't they?!)

Remind me of that story (fictitious) where the King sat on the shore thinking he could push the tide back. The waves came in and rose and rose, and his advisors told him to get up and leave as he couldn't do it. He thought he ''still had time'' too. Silly F***** drowned tho!

But we haven't been doing nothing have we? We've already brought in 4 good players.

We've brought in two good players and two squad players and we have let 8 players go, 3 of whom could be considered first team players..

Is it not 3 first team players and one squad player or do you rate Butt higher than Guthrie

I know it's early to judge, but I think Jonas, Colo and Guthrie and good signings and Bassong looks assured.

Most of what we let go was absolute dross, we're better off without most of them. Even Milner, who was decent, was a fantastic deal if the money being talked about is right.

Is it not 3 first team players and one squad player or do you rate Butt higher than Guthrie

I'd have Guthire in ahead off Butt, however, I'd rather have two better 'first-team' players in ahead of both of them...

Guthrie has had a good solid start to the season, he's a tidy player and his passing is excellent. However, if we had signed the players we really need in this transfer window he would only be a squad player.

I still think it's interesting to look at the transfers made in the first few years of Robson's tenure.  But of course, the last board had far more ambition than this lot, so that's us told.

Robson's spend increased (or more specifically it was when he went out and got us Robert and Bellamy) as the stadium expansion gave us a cash windfall. we've just had a cash windfall in the last season with tv money increasing by £18m. combine that with us not having spent anything in net terms since 2006, add on this season's extra £18m too and we should have shedloads (that's before you even factor in something like having a billionaire owner).

also worth noting that our turnover since then has doubled (£54.m in 2001 and likely to be around £110m for 2008) and that transfer fee inflation has occured (with total spending in the transfer window around doubled) so if you want to compare 2001 transfer spending to current day spending, it might be wise to double the 2001 figures.

I would say Emre and Milner were more viable options in midfield than Butt, as was Faye as well arguably.. Guthrie looks promising, but if we are depending on him to be our best central midfielder God help us.

I have being plesantly suprised with Guthrie so far.Hes gone to Emriates and Old Trafford and put in 2 good shifts,I am more than happy for him to be in our starting eleven thus far.I think though against weaker sides like he was against Bolton he may struggle,he doesnt seem to have a killer pass to open up a defence.But if we get a creative midfielder beside him I think he will be an excellent player for us

Bit confused about Milner vs Guthrie in the press and amongst some fans.

So Guthrie, a young English player with a lot of potential, bought for a pittance, shouldn't be playing for us - but Milner, a young English player with some potential (yet had proved he has little effect on the game), sold for an absolute fortune, should have been kept and played in the first team?

I don't understand.

Agreed, there will be some disappointed hectors tomorrow when the awful truth is unveiled.

Still, we might be surprised and Arshavin and Berbatov could be introduced at a press conference on Tuesday. :toke:

but, but, but.........we're going to sign 4 players to improve the team in the next day and a half...

i expect us to have signed someone by tonight tbh, even this lot arent bad enough to do the majority of their transfer work on the very last day (a special extension to the window at that!)

what we need -

A first choice striker to play along Owen or Martins or both. preferably someone with good movement who can lead the line & play with their back to goal to link with other strikers, wingers, midfield.

Two creative players. We've gradually eroded the creative impetus of our side in recent years, losing Dyer, Solano, Milner, Emre, seeing N'Zogbia stall and regress as a player, and with some others like Duff being finished. I'd like to see us buy a winger and an attacking midfielder. one of them should be a big signing for the first-team, in one of those positions depending on which formation we play, and the other an impact player who increases our options and depth.

Replacement for Butt. He looks past it as a defensive midfielder. even when he played with Geremi last season, it was the cameroonian who did the majority of the defensive duties. His passing is also increasingly erratic and i don't think he complements Guthrie very well, they are both quite slight and neither have the greatest movement or energy. Let's break the bank for someone we can build our midfield around for a few years.

Centre-half. Faye was our best defender before Coloccini came in and i don't think Taylor is up to much, while I don't see Cacapa being the right partner for Coloccini. Selling Faye and not bringing in a replacement seems like madness to me, as he's just the sort of partner Coloccini needs as he is aggresive & strong in the air. oh well.

Cover for full-backs. not so much a pressing concern though it seems like Keegan simply doesn't rate Enrique so you can expect this position to be another first-teamer.

so with a day and a half left, it's not too much to ask is it?  ??? :angry:

i expect us to have signed someone by tonight tbh, even this lot arent bad enough to do the majority of their transfer work on the very last day (a special extension to the window at that!)

what we need -

A first choice striker to play along Owen or Martins or both. preferably someone with good movement who can lead the line & play with their back to goal to link with other strikers, wingers, midfield.

Two creative players. We've gradually eroded the creative impetus of our side in recent years, losing Dyer, Solano, Milner, Emre, seeing N'Zogbia stall and regress as a player, and with some others like Duff being finished. I'd like to see us buy a winger and an attacking midfielder. one of them should be a big signing for the first-team, in one of those positions depending on which formation we play, and the other an impact player who increases our options and depth.

Replacement for Butt. He looks past it as a defensive midfielder. even when he played with Geremi last season, it was the cameroonian who did the majority of the defensive duties. His passing is also increasingly erratic and i don't think he complements Guthrie very well, they are both quite slight and neither have the greatest movement or energy. Let's break the bank for someone we can build our midfield around for a few years.

Centre-half. Faye was our best defender before Coloccini came in and i don't think Taylor is up to much, while I don't see Cacapa being the right partner for Coloccini. Selling Faye and not bringing in a replacement seems like madness to me, as he's just the sort of partner Coloccini needs as he is aggresive & strong in the air. oh well.

Cover for full-backs. not so much a pressing concern though it seems like Keegan simply doesn't rate Enrique so you can expect this position to be another first-teamer.

Plenty of time left in the window mate..  :crazy2:

Malouda just come on for chelski so cross that one off as well

We can cross almost every player we are linked with off they have all played or playing this weekend

It means fuck all though really, Milner played against Coventry and then a day or so later he was with Villa.

what we need -

You've got your head in the clouds if you thought the club would bring in 7 players to walk straight into the first team in one Summer.

what we need -

You've got your head in the clouds if you thought the club would bring in 7 players to walk straight into the first team in one Summer.

To be fair that's what was needed

what we need -

I guess that's fair enough Baggio, as getting 7 quality players in and have them play well together is a gigantic challenge, but could you please explain why we've let first team players such as Emre, Faye and Milner go when they were all still under contract? Weren't we trying to move forward this summer? For me, we should have only signed first team players to challenge those already there and let go of the dead wood. Instead we have let some first team players go, and some of the dead wood remains, notably in the striking department.

Okay was I dreaming when KK himself said that 2 signings were already well down the line?!

So why are people still saying we won't sign anyone?

How weird are you guys? Why are you trying to convince yourselves that youhave any idea what you are talking about?

If you don't have anything to say then shut up. Stop talking just for the sake of it.