Newcastle 1 - 0 Bolton Wanderers - 23/08/08 - Post match reaction from page 15

James

Jon

Jonas is quite frankly far too good for us... ...Just a shame some of his team mates aren't on the same level as him.

Putting Jonas in that midfield is like getting one tooth whitened. They looked off-white before you did it, but now the rest seem positively yellow in comparison now.

I truely like Milner. He's honest, talented and hard-working. But seeing him get the ball is like going back to a fat lass after dating a model.

Wasn't a good game, Bolton are horrible fuckers and it disgusts me how they act. Matt Taylor, for example, knew we had the pressure on so he sat down. Fuck all the matter with him, but he sat down. When Bennett didn't let the physio on, he folded his arms. He was then forced to walk the 10 yards off the pitch, although he was then subbed so maybe there was something up with him. Whatever.

The old problems are still there, if we come up against a team who park everyone behind the ball we will struggle to break them down. Don't know whether it was just a bad day at the office or something but everyone seemed a little slow, passes that could have gone 5/10 seconds earlier were delayed and opportunities of an opening were missed. Milner was at his absolute worst today, absolutely nothing to show for his usual running, not one good cross all game.

The subs were what made the difference. Geremi, for all he has no legs, has a brilliant football brain. Also him and Beye work well, Beye played a lot better with Geremi in front of him and seemed to feel happier about bombing forward - maybe because he was confident of getting the ball off Geremi instead of Milner who struggled to do anything well. Then Martins went off - don't know if it's in our game plan for him to stand on the touchline when we have the ball outwide but maybe someone should tell him when he's the lone striker he should be in the box. Owen arrived and as is his new thing played deeper, with Milner being the "front" man. Milner looked a little bit better here, but I wouldn't want it permanently. Or ever again, really. Anyway, without sounding like I want to bum him, you don't appreciate Michael Owen till you see his movement up close. The amount of headed chances he gets for a man of his size sums it up really, having said that he's only useful if someone can deliver. Without Geremi on the pitch, he probably wouldn't have had a sniff at goal at all.

Jonas is quite frankly far too good for us. The amount of times he was surrounded by 3 players and came out with the ball was incredible, he can beat his man all day and routinely did only to be let down by a lack of options. His work rate is phenomenal aswell, he can even tackle. Just a shame some of his team mates aren't on the same level as him. N'Zogbia isn't a left back, obviously, and was below par coming forward. Some awful crosses, and 1 really good one. He did well once we were 1-0 up, maybe he felt the pressure had eased a bit and he started enjoying himself. Coloccini is solid, looks like a sound investment. Taylor...isn't. And Shay saved a pen. What is the world coming to?

Guthrie doesn't waste a pass but he's not likely to unlock any doors, he just keeps things ticking over. Butt can spread the play all day long but for some reason his short passes have gone to shit. More so than before. Might do alright together away from home but at home, too bland.

Graham Danby fucking loved it though, every verse of Blaydon Races again :)

Was just about to post my views on the match but that completely sums up what I was going to say.

Wasn't a good game, Bolton are horrible fuckers and it disgusts me how they act. Matt Taylor, for example, knew we had the pressure on so he sat down. Fuck all the matter with him, but he sat down. When Bennett didn't let the physio on, he folded his arms. He was then forced to walk the 10 yards off the pitch, although he was then subbed so maybe there was something up with him. Whatever.

The old problems are still there, if we come up against a team who park everyone behind the ball we will struggle to break them down. Don't know whether it was just a bad day at the office or something but everyone seemed a little slow, passes that could have gone 5/10 seconds earlier were delayed and opportunities of an opening were missed. Milner was at his absolute worst today, absolutely nothing to show for his usual running, not one good cross all game.

The subs were what made the difference. Geremi, for all he has no legs, has a brilliant football brain. Also him and Beye work well, Beye played a lot better with Geremi in front of him and seemed to feel happier about bombing forward - maybe because he was confident of getting the ball off Geremi instead of Milner who struggled to do anything well. Then Martins went off - don't know if it's in our game plan for him to stand on the touchline when we have the ball outwide but maybe someone should tell him when he's the lone striker he should be in the box. Owen arrived and as is his new thing played deeper, with Milner being the "front" man. Milner looked a little bit better here, but I wouldn't want it permanently. Or ever again, really. Anyway, without sounding like I want to bum him, you don't appreciate Michael Owen till you see his movement up close. The amount of headed chances he gets for a man of his size sums it up really, having said that he's only useful if someone can deliver. Without Geremi on the pitch, he probably wouldn't have had a sniff at goal at all.

Jonas is quite frankly far too good for us. The amount of times he was surrounded by 3 players and came out with the ball was incredible, he can beat his man all day and routinely did only to be let down by a lack of options. His work rate is phenomenal aswell, he can even tackle. Just a shame some of his team mates aren't on the same level as him. N'Zogbia isn't a left back, obviously, and was below par coming forward. Some awful crosses, and 1 really good one. He did well once we were 1-0 up, maybe he felt the pressure had eased a bit and he started enjoying himself. Coloccini is solid, looks like a sound investment. Taylor...isn't. And Shay saved a pen. What is the world coming to?

Guthrie doesn't waste a pass but he's not likely to unlock any doors, he just keeps things ticking over. Butt can spread the play all day long but for some reason his short passes have gone to shit. More so than before. Might do alright together away from home but at home, too bland.

Was just about to post my views on the match but that completely sums up what I was going to say.

Then your both talking shite "jonas far too good for us". If thats the way yous feel fuck off and support the mackems.

Then your both talking shite "jonas far too good for us". If thats the way yous feel fuck off and support the mackems.

You gave Given a 7 for saving a pen and keeping a clean sheet. Nice one.

As for my Jonas comments, you know (or should know) fine well what I mean. He is a player who could comfortably play for a better side than ourselves. Happy now? Or because I don't think we're the best team in the country/continent/world mean I should fuck off? Get a grip lad.

I don't think we're far away from having a very good first 11, I think we've really got something to work with and if we replace two or three of our less effective players then we'll have a very good season.

Apparently, Steven Taylor played 48 passes, and only one of them didn't reach it's intended destination. What would those at the game say his passing was like?

To be fair, Bolton had one up front so we had lots of time at the back, and they weren't exactly raking passes he was playing, we're talking 10 yard passes to Beye or Coloccini, or the occasional sly one to Butt

Apparently, Steven Taylor played 48 passes, and only one of them didn't reach it's intended destination. What would those at the game say his passing was like?

To be fair, Bolton had one up front so we had lots of time at the back, and they weren't exactly raking passes he was playing, we're talking 10 yard passes to Beye or Coloccini, or the occasional sly one to Butt

That's what I was thinking, would have been very surprised to see him transform into Franz Beckenbaeur.

Were these passes particularly penetrating?

Guest Heneage

Tbh as others have said it was very much side to side.

Butts forward passing was terrible.

As for my Jonas comments, you know (or should know) fine well what I mean. He is a player who could comfortably play for a better side than ourselves. Happy now? Or because I don't think we're the best team in the country/continent/world mean I should fuck off? Get a grip lad.

Ahem, first of all belittling by using words like "lad" won't work. I gave Given a 7 because despite (as you say) saving a penalty and keeping a clean sheet, his kicking was atrocious. Now there are no rules on how to rate players, so the system is faulted in itself but IMO you rate them for the good things and the negative things. Before the penalty i would have gave him a 6 and after a 7. Perhaps 8 at a push.

Secondly, you comment was "far too good for us", which implies that he's too good for the club. Which in my assesment is super bollocks. However, what i now believe you mean is that he is our best player, which would be fair comment but like i said, that's simply not how i read it.   

Taylor, Guthrie and Milner seem to be the main talking points.

Taylor- I actually thought Taylor was pretty good throughout. Not the standard of Coloccini but i don't think there were many cock-up's, if any. Haven't seen the replay of the pen but it looked similar to the dying swan. Overall, hardly a criminal performance, still unsure of his potential.

Guthrie- The lad got overran today, no doubt but there were reasons. First, he started off terribly, gave the ball away, slipped over and clearly lost abit of confidence. As well as this, his chances of getting on the ball were halved by the fact Bolton bypassed the midfield (as usual). Similar to Taylor, hardly had a criminal performance but did very little to effect the game at either end.

Milner- Is a funny one. On the one hand, sometimes the ball looks tied to his foot, never gives the ball away (which can't be underestimated) and works his socks off for the cause. On the other, he fannies about something cronic, he moves left and right more times than a slalom. Because of this, the moment passes and chance is made harder. Today we very much saw little bits of both. In the first half, on the right he was very poor but when he was played up front he looked twice the player and i thought did very well. I'd like to see him behind a striker a couple more times (only if forced).

I just sow the match on TV.  I must say Taylor looked absolutly brilliant and took the easy route many times, instead of trying to do a bramble. He looks more mature this season than he ever been. Coloccini was strugling a bit in the air, but like the commentators said how often did he play against a team like Bolton and Davies, all around he had a good match.  I think Zoggy did a great job comming forward, and didnt make to many errors at the back either. Givens penalty save was AWESOME  :smitten:

My biggest dissapointment of this match was Guthrie, he was so slow on the ball especially in the first half. He made some errors which made my think about Titus Bramble. I'm glad he did it against bolton and not man utd. I think he was trying to hard to impress his former teammates.  Like ppl mention earlier, Martins must be in the box. His positioning needs to be worked at. Btw: Has Geremi gain a few pounds, he looked fat and slow today.

It was a good result, but we need to pass the ball quicker than we did today. It was like the ball was always played behind the player, or to slow passes. We need to get the ball moving quicker to outplay shitty teams like Bolton. Owen and Given won us the game today.

Ahem, first of all belittling by using words like "lad" won't work. I gave Given a 7 because despite (as you say) saving a penalty and keeping a clean sheet, his kicking was atrocious. Now there are no rules on how to rate players, so the system is faulted in itself but IMO you rate them for the good things and the negative things. Before the penalty i would have gave him a 6 and after a 7. Perhaps 8 at a push.

Secondly, you comment was "far too good for us", which implies that he's too good for the club. Which in my assesment is super bollocks. However, what i now believe you mean is that he is our best player, which would be fair comment but like i said, that's simply not how i read it.   

I mean exactly it how I explained it. He could very comfortably play at a higher level (e.g. Champions League club/Good UEFA cup standard team) If we don't reach the higher level (get back into Europe, basically) and he continues to impress, a bigger club will no doubt come in for him. Whether he goes or not would be another discussion. But that's getting ahead of ourselves considering he's played 2 competitive games for us.

To go back to your ratings, fair enough, Shay's distribution was horrible, but using your negatives/positives thing, you're giving him the same rating as Taylor, who conceded the penalty (there's a negative) and at one stage tripped on the ball under no pressure and had to haul his man down. Then there's the incident mentioned somewhere else where he had all the time in the world to take a touch and pass it out of defence but instead he chose to smash it out for a throw in. I'm not saying he was awful by any means, I'm just using him as a comparison for the Given rating.

As for "belittling" words like lad, telling me to "fuck off and support the mackems" is what exactly?

I mean exactly it how I explained it. He could very comfortably play at a higher level (e.g. Champions League club/Good UEFA cup standard team) If we don't reach the higher level (get back into Europe, basically) and he continues to impress, a bigger club will no doubt come in for him. Whether he goes or not would be another discussion. But that's getting ahead of ourselves considering he's played 2 competitive games for us.

To go back to your ratings, fair enough, Shay's distribution was horrible, but using your negatives/positives thing, you're giving him the same rating as Taylor, who conceded the penalty (there's a negative) and at one stage tripped on the ball under no pressure and had to haul his man down. Then there's the incident mentioned somewhere else where he had all the time in the world to take a touch and pass it out of defence but instead he chose to smash it out for a throw in. I'm not saying he was awful by any means, I'm just using him as a comparison for the Given rating.

As for "belittling" words like lad, telling me to "fuck off and support the mackems" is what exactly?

If i thought for a second that anyone of our fans believe any player was bigger than the club then i'd tell them to fuck off. However, i do realise that was not what you meant so i will apoligise.