Newcastle 1 - 0 Bolton Wanderers - 23/08/08 - Post match reaction from page 15

James

Wasn't a good game, Bolton are horrible fuckers and it disgusts me how they act. Matt Taylor, for example, knew we had the pressure on so he sat down. f*** all the matter with him, but he sat down. When Bennett didn't let the physio on, he folded his arms. He was then forced to walk the 10 yards off the pitch, although he was then subbed so maybe there was something up with him. Whatever.

The old problems are still there, if we come up against a team who park everyone behind the ball we will struggle to break them down. Don't know whether it was just a bad day at the office or something but everyone seemed a little slow, passes that could have gone 5/10 seconds earlier were delayed and opportunities of an opening were missed. Milner was at his absolute worst today, absolutely nothing to show for his usual running, not one good cross all game.

The subs were what made the difference. Geremi, for all he has no legs, has a brilliant football brain. Also him and Beye work well, Beye played a lot better with Geremi in front of him and seemed to feel happier about bombing forward - maybe because he was confident of getting the ball off Geremi instead of Milner who struggled to do anything well. Then Martins went off - don't know if it's in our game plan for him to stand on the touchline when we have the ball outwide but maybe someone should tell him when he's the lone striker he should be in the box. Owen arrived and as is his new thing played deeper, with Milner being the "front" man. Milner looked a little bit better here, but I wouldn't want it permanently. Or ever again, really. Anyway, without sounding like I want to bum him, you don't appreciate Michael Owen till you see his movement up close. The amount of headed chances he gets for a man of his size sums it up really, having said that he's only useful if someone can deliver. Without Geremi on the pitch, he probably wouldn't have had a sniff at goal at all.

Jonas is quite frankly far too good for us. The amount of times he was surrounded by 3 players and came out with the ball was incredible, he can beat his man all day and routinely did only to be let down by a lack of options. His work rate is phenomenal aswell, he can even tackle. Just a shame some of his team mates aren't on the same level as him. N'Zogbia isn't a left back, obviously, and was below par coming forward. Some awful crosses, and 1 really good one. He did well once we were 1-0 up, maybe he felt the pressure had eased a bit and he started enjoying himself. Coloccini is solid, looks like a sound investment. Taylor...isn't. And Shay saved a pen. What is the world coming to?

Guthrie doesn't waste a pass but he's not likely to unlock any doors, he just keeps things ticking over. Butt can spread the play all day long but for some reason his short passes have gone to s***. More so than before. Might do alright together away from home but at home, too bland.

Graham Danby f***ing loved it though, every verse of Blaydon Races again :)

I, too, noticed that Beye seems more willing to bomb forward with Geremi on the right. Shruges, maybe it's for tactical reasons or maybe Beye is more comfortable/confident with it.

Guest Howaythetoon

Martins made a class run in the first half, not sure it was who never placed the pass, but he shot off and it wasn't exactly a hard ball to make either. That irked me no end.

Was Duff I think.

Guest Howaythetoon

Guthrie wasn't that bad in possession. My mind could be playing tricks but I didn't count many misplaced passes or moments of dispossession and some of his passing was excellent, especially in switching play and using variety. Even when he trod on the ball he still made the pass, a successful one. I thought all 3 of our new summer signings were our better players today, without ever really performing outstandingly.

Guthrie wasn't that bad in possession. My mind could be playing tricks but I didn't count many misplaced passes or moments of dispossession and some of his passing was excellent, especially in switching play and using variety. Even when he trod on the ball he still made the pass, a successful one. I thought all 3 of our new summer signings were our better players today, without ever really performing outstandingly.

I'm happy with our business so far in the sense I feel each player we have brought in has certainly been an upgrade to what we've got in that area, if this is the way things continue in the future I'll be happy that's for certain. Obviously we need more signings like, but one step at a time.

I hate to be a downer, but compared to this stage last season, we are on the same number of points, wins, draws and goals conceded, but we have scored one less goal. :razz:

Alternatively, we have got 3 more points than in the corresponding fixture :colo: :jonas: :nile:

Guest Howaythetoon

I'm happy with our business so far in the sense I feel each player we have brought in has certainly been an upgrade to what we've got in that area, if this is the way things continue in the future I'll be happy that's for certain. Obviously we need more signings like, but one step at a time.

Aye, for me I'm going to look at Guthrie as Butt's replacement if not now then for the future as KK did say he sees him as more of a defensive style midfielder and if so, I'd be happy with that because he works as hard as Butt and seems as level headed as him too, but he is superior in passing terms and can actually carry the ball well. Guthrie patrolling in front of the back four and in between the attack would be ideal, his job to pick the ball up from the back four and pass it to attackers, to give attackers an option of playing it back, to sit and mop up and keep the play ticking over. For that though we need someone alongside him with athleticism, drive and a more attacking instinct. For what he cost though and given his age he's been a pleasant surprise. I don't think there is an awful lot more to come from him though. He could be extremely effective and a very positive player for us with the right players around him though. Butt alongside him does him nor the team any favours though, nor Butt himself. Its nice to be able to talk about these "problems" though.

Is Butt becoming the odd man out or the weakest link for us?

Guest Heneage

Guthrie over-ran is a fair point, we need  midfielder that  can take a pass and dribble if needs be. butts looking finished almost. I think what we have to remember is, not every team that comes to SJP will play like Bolton, today we watched Alladyce tactics at its worst, 4-6-0 pretty much and when Elmander went off it just lowered their mobility up front even more.  

They dived all over the shop and to be honest I see them having just as much trouble as last season.

Guest Howaythetoon

I don't buy that Guthrie was overran, indeed he did a splendid job having thought more about it. He did what he was signed to do: pick the ball up off the back-four (tick), spray it about i.e. keep possession (tick) while protecting the back-four off the ball (tick), it just didn't always work like that because in Butt, Milner, Duff and N'Zogbia the ball either rarely stuck with them or advanced tellingly or Bolton were successful in snuffing us out. Guthrie playing the anchor role with a more mobile and attacking force alongside him with some pace and quality on the right flank and a focal point up front, in the style KK wants us to play, i.e. possession pass and move attacking football, will stand out because he's calm and composed in possession and can hit a pass, that and he works hard and seems good at reading play.

Guthrie got caught a couple of times in posession, was physically outmuscled on one occassion and faded badly on the second half.  I think he's a fine prospect but today wasn't his best game.

Given: Great save for the penalty but apart from that he didn't have any other saves of note to make, one thing he did do today however was he came out to punch or catch balls that were floated in which he's often left in the past. 8

Beye: Didn't have much to deal with defensively but for someone who spent so much time in the oppositions half he was so negative, rather pass it back for Milner rather than attempting to get the ball in himself. Disappointing. 6

Taylor: Played well apart from the hand ball where he was booked, that was just stupid. 7

Coloccini: Best player on the pitch IMO, comfortably handled everything that was thrown at him and always made himself available for a pass.9

N'Zogbia: Looked good today which was down to not having to do much defending, seems to link up well with Jonas when overlapping down the left. 7

Jonas: Our best attacking threat, some great flicks to beat his man but often found himself lacking options. 8

Butt: I thought he was poor throughout, looks a player on the way down. 5

Guthrie: Bolton's tactics of closing him down early rattled him and he got caught out a few times in the first half, when the game opened up in the second half some of his long range passing was excellent when spreading play around. 6

Milner: Works hard, gives 100% etc. 5

Duff: Didn't do anything to link up midfield and attack, not good enough. 5

Martins: Some good link up play and some poor link up play, often lacked support and had to come deep looking for the ball too much, not his best day. 6

Owen: Great goal but similar to martins had to come deep looking for the ball which meant he was never really a threat in open play. 7

Geremi: Improved our right hand side when he came on, our passing game also improved with him on the pitch. 7

I'm just going by the hour's highlights on Sky, but I thought we did pretty well against a big, physical side. We can't expect to dominate a team like that, but we had that bit of extra class.

I'd agree with those who've said that Colo isn't that strong in the air. He can pass though, and if we could get another good centre back and push Colo into the DM position, that wouldn't be the worst that could happen.

The thing that stands out from this game is that we need a midfielder who can unlock defences. If teams are going to come and sit with 10 men behind the ball we're going to need something a bit extra to help us create chances. I hope KK is working on it.

Replace Duff and Milner with players who can deliver end product and that team becomes a lot more dangerous.

I reckon Jonas is going to win us a fair share of penalties this year.  And he might get a number of defenders booked too.  Second game in a row he's been played clean through - Vidic made one of the most perfect tackles you'll ever see last weekend and Joey O'Brien hauled him down to take a yellow today.  He looks so dangerous in those situations.

I reckon Jonas is going to win us a fair share of penalties this year.  And he might get a number of defenders booked too.  Second game in a row he's been played clean through - Vidic made one of the most perfect tackles you'll ever see last weekend and Joey O'Brien hauled him down to take a yellow today.  He looks so dangerous in those situations.

I have a strange habit of closely observing how teams celebrate their goals........apparently Jonas didn't bother to celebrate with the goal scorer today and last week at OT. I like (I know it's odd) seeing the whole Newcastle team celebrating (except Shay for obvious reason).

Agree with most of Baggio's ratings except the Milner one. He started slow but in the second half, when he played in Duff's position, he was better.

We were just really slow all game and that's something that needs working on. Whenever we tried to play faster, some dipshit (Duff, especially) would fuck up the momentum by holding the ball for too long, passing it back or simply just losing the ball. Generally, though, we've got some good players but it's not coming together yet.

Other teams will come to St. James' and do the same thing so we must pass the ball quicker and better.

The thing that stands out from this game is that we need a midfielder who can unlock defences. If teams are going to come and sit with 10 men behind the ball we're going to need something a bit extra to help us create chances. I hope KK is working on it.

Replace Duff and Milner with players who can deliver end product and that team becomes a lot more dangerous.

the absolute truth.

duff was a travesty yesterday, an anti footballer...when he got hurt i really couldn't help but think nasty thoughts

milner, all work no end product, ever...

on the AM note i think we saw owen make a big difference (aside from the goal) when he came on simply 'cause his ability to find space appears to not be limited to the box, when we're coming forward he drops neatly in between the oppositions MD & DF, protects the ball when it's played into him and that then creates the space for other to make runs and gamble

pity we can't rely on him for fitness as if we could (as much as you ever can i suppose) then a good CM would suffice plus a saviola type who can play both FW roles for when owens injured...in fact that would do anyways for me, a beardsley-esque player is the priority, not an orthodox CM with better passing; arshavin basically

I would have sworn we won yesterday but if you read the posts in this thread you wouldn't know it.

As above.

3 points and we didnt play well.  Surely thats a good thing if we can grind out 3 points vs anti football teams???

I was there and we werent nearly as bad as half of the posts in here make out.