Newcastle 1 - 0 Bolton Wanderers - 23/08/08 - Post match reaction from page 15

James

Just watching the goal now, how on earth does Geremi make a assist like that, then the other 70% of the time, his freekicks, corners and general crossing is awful.

His corners are rubbish but his crossing is generally pretty good. That's the third Owen header from Geremi's delivery, the pair of them combine really well.

Baffles me how much stick Geremi gets. He rarely ever gives the ball away, works very hard for the team and probably has a more consistent cross than any of our other players. His set pieces do let him down though. 

I'd prefer Geremi to Duff any day of the week. Gives alot more in almost every aspect, he even nearly scored yesterday.

The football section in the NOTW had this thing about who should replace Beckham for England, Milner was mentioned and they said that he provided the excellent cross for Owens goal yesterday.  :dave:

:laugh:

Tbf he did put in a cross which was practically identical to Geremi's but Owen didn't finish that one. Suppose that wasn't mentioned on here though as Milner is absolute dogshite and did fuck all yesterday [/reverts to form]  :laugh:

Guest Phil K

Get in 36 points from safety  :razz:

Actually thats what I was thinking too - sad sign of the times, isn't it ?

I was basing it 37 needed - on 41 points though, not 40.

The football section in the NOTW had this thing about who should replace Beckham for England, Milner was mentioned and they said that he provided the excellent cross for Owens goal yesterday.  :dave:

Tbf he did put in a cross which was practically identical to Geremi's but Owen didn't finish that one. Suppose that wasn't mentioned on here though as Milner is absolute dogshite and did fuck all yesterday [/reverts to form]  :laugh:

Yawn.

Yawn.

Ditto.

Pluses for me:

Colo and Taylor (obviously outside the penalty) partnership looked solid again.

Zog moving forward looked a threat and crossing was generally of a high standard, could be a good option at home in that position, wouldn't dream of playing him there away from home again though.

Butt's distribution was spot on, a lot of it went unnoticed but he played pretty well on Saturday, much , much , much better than the Manure game.

Owen of course, the guy just knows how to score goals.

Jonas, continued where he left off against Manure

Negatives:

The team as a whole still lack a lock picker, we may get more of these frustrating games against the weaker teams in the league, if we don't find some more creative spark.

Guthrie I thought was poor at times, not a bad game for the lad but seemed to play a bit carelessly from time to time.

Martins injury, that could be hugely significant for us, not sure what the problem was but it didn't look good.

Seemed to me Bolton were very keen not to let Guthrie have much time on the ball. They got into him early on and he didn't have as confident a game as previously.

That's how it looked in the first half, as the game went on and it opened up he was spreading some quality balls about out wide, the sort of player you don't want to be playing against when you're chasing the game.

Seemed to me Bolton were very keen not to let Guthrie have much time on the ball. They got into him early on and he didn't have as confident a game as previously.

I thought he was excellent despite what a few on here have said.

Definitely Premiership class and I can understand why Bolton wanted to keep him so badly, but don't really understand why Liverpool let him go so easily, he'd have been a decent saquad player at least and potentially much more.

Guest neesy111

areet lads

just got back from leeds, seen the goals though

sounds like bolton = anti football

but we still need this playmaker and striker?

Definitely Premiership class and I can understand why Bolton wanted to keep him so badly, but don't really understand why Liverpool let him go so easily, he'd have been a decent saquad player at least and potentially much more.

But can you see him viably challenging Gerrard, Alonso, Lucas and Mascherano for a first team place? The impression I got was that he was rated highly but would fail to break into the first team.

But can you see him viably challenging Gerrard, Alonso, Lucas and Mascherano for a first team place? The impression I got was that he was rated highly but would fail to break into the first team.

You're right, but I would have thought he was worth hanging on to as a squad player and also to see how he progressed in the next year or so.

I'm glad they thought otherwise as their (and Bolton's) loss looks very much like our gain.

Must have seen him as a threat ?

Or more likely they'll have probably known from training if you put him under pressure he'll make mistakes and give the ball away.

You're right, but I would have thought he was worth hanging on to as a squad player and also to see how he progressed in the next year or so.

I'm glad they thought otherwise as their (and Bolton's) loss looks very much like our gain.

There's an interview with him in the match day programme, he said Rafa told him he'd get 10-15 games this season if he wanted to stay but he felt he needed more regular first team football to progress.

I liked it in the second half when he maneuvered past 2 players and played a 40 yard ball out to N'Zogbia wide left all on his own, great vision.

Guest Heneage

I could see Guthrie challenging Lucas. I think Lucas gets rated because hes Brazilian. Hes another one of the Baby Pele generation. Its one of the many problems with being South American, if you are blessed with any talent they place you upon the same pedestool as previous players as some sort of mark, which is impossible as its obvious that every players different.

Just like we'll never have another Shearer ,Messi isn't the new Maradonna as he is proficint with both feet.

DREAM TEAM RATINGS

STAR MAN - DANNY GUTHRIE (Bolton)

NEWCASTLE: Given 7, Beye 5, Taylor 6, Coloccini 7, N’Zogbia 6, Milner 6, Butt 6, Guthrie 7, Gutierrez 7, Duff 5 (Geremi 6), Martins 5 (Owen 7). Subs not used: Enrique, Bassong, Harper, Smith, Edgar. Booked: Taylor.

BOLTON: Jaaskelainen 6, Steinsson 6, Cahill 6, A O’Brien 7, Samuel 6, Muamba 6, Nolan 6, J O’Brien 7 (Riga 6), Davies 6, Taylor 5 (Gardner 5), Elmander 6 (McCann 6). Subs not used: Hunt, Dzemali, Shittu, Al Habsi. Booked: J O’Brien, McCann.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article1599765.ece

Guthrie star man according the The Sun (ignorong the fact they have him playing for Bolton)