The PANIC! Thread

Coxaux

Guest Gallowgate Mag

Anyone claiming we have the smallest squad in the Prem, I suggest they should look at Everton's starting eleven on Saturday...

Started: Rodwell (17 years old), Baxter (16 years old)

Subs: Jutkiewicz (19), Agard (18), Kissock (18), Wallace (16).

Signings are not the be all and end all. They are a means to an end - but with good management, coaching and common sense football, that end can be reached with the means we already have.

I think we're being a lot more careful with who we sign under the new regime, and that combined with a generally slow market has caused the problem, if one exists.

More careful in what way?

With players' quality, with their attitudes, with their injury records. I've said a couple of times the last few days, quality control is in effect... I for one am in favour of this, bearing in mind where we were with the old splash the cash system.

Thats just it with exception of possibly a defender and a central midfielder the problem is not so much the numbers its the lack of quality (seeing as most would gladly see the likes of Duff, Smith, Shola, Geremi etc) out the team.  The reality is until we can get rid of these big earners it just doesnt make sense to continue to add more and more numbers to a pool of players until we can offload some.

The striker situation is probably the best example where we have 5 or 6 if you include Carroll on the books yet I don't think you will find many people who would argue that we are crying out for a new one.  As supporters we often want to overlook things like this as our concern are results but in reality it makes no sense at all until we can shift some of the wasters that we are not going to see wholesale changes as the salaries our pool of strikers pick up a week must be ridculous..

I think we're being a lot more careful with who we sign under the new regime, and that combined with a generally slow market has caused the problem, if one exists.

Not rushing into deals because we are desperate for players I'd imagine.  Instead of the previous s*** with Mckay

FS:"s*** we need a Striker, who is available?"

Mckay:"Erm...... Albert Luque"

FS"How much and is he good"

Mckay"Erm 8M and he's the best player in Spain"

FS:"Give them 10M to be safe and he can have 80k per week"

FS:"Graeme I've got that striker you wanted"

GS:"Excellent Anelka is a proper Player"

FS"Erm"

GS"You did sign Anelka"

FS"Erm..  I tried but I got this spanish bloke Albert Luque instead"

GS:"FFS"

Mckay sure gets around a lot doesn't he.

Depo wanted £11.5m for Luque, a 27 year old attacking winger with 17 caps for Spain. We paid £9.5m

Depo wanted £10m for Colocinni a 26 year old defender with 28 caps for Argentina. We paid £10m.

Yes, I see the difference.

I'm actually getting a sick feeling in my stomach from worrying over transfers............jesus christ, the stress this club puts you under at times

(I tend to get this at the end of every transfer window though)

This weekend is going to be HUGE.

Plus I'm going to Turkey for 2 weeks on Sunday night so I'll most likely miss it all..........thats if anything happens...

Not rushing into deals because we are desperate for players I'd imagine.  Instead of the previous s*** with Mckay

FS:"s*** we need a Striker, who is available?"

Mckay:"Erm...... Albert Luque"

FS"How much and is he good"

Mckay"Erm 8M and he's the best player in Spain"

FS:"Give them 10M to be safe and he can have 80k per week"

FS:"Graeme I've got that striker you wanted"

GS:"Excellent Anelka is a proper Player"

FS"Erm"

GS"You did sign Anelka"

FS"Erm..  I tried but I got this spanish bloke Albert Luque instead"

GS:"FFS"

Mckay sure gets around a lot doesn't he.

Depo wanted £11.5m for Luque, a 27 year old attacking winger with 17 caps for Spain. We paid £9.5m

Depo wanted £10m for Colocinni a 26 year old defender with 28 caps for Argentina. We paid £10m.

Yes, I see the difference.

I don't recall them wanting 12 for Luque.  Look at it this way Luque was damn sure he wouldnt come, his advisor told Shepherd he want a ridiculous wage around 80k to come shepherd said yes without negotiating.  Shepherd signed Luque off his own back without consulting the management.

Luque was s***

Colo looks class

We got a 10m rated winger for f*** all.

We got a very promising central midfielder for 2.2M

We have got a very promising centrehalf for 1.5m

We've bought youth players for once with the exception of Krul.

There are still 4/5days left of this transfer window

You are moronic if you believe our negotiations have been poorer than they were under FS.

With players' quality, with their attitudes, with their injury records. I've said a couple of times the last few days, quality control is in effect... I for one am in favour of this, bearing in mind where we were with the old splash the cash system.

Well I guess we'll see about their quality after we've had a bit of time to assess them, but I'd be surprised if at least 2 of them don't turn out to be deemed as "failures" by most. Hope I'm wrong and they all make me eat my words of course, but I'm just going by the law of averages.

As to their attitudes, well Coloccini's been through 8 clubs at the age of 26, and Gutierrez has just canceled his contract with his previous club  ???

I'm actually getting a sick feeling in my stomach from worrying over transfers............jesus christ, the stress this club puts you under at times

Why?  Yes I know some new signings (providing they add something to the team) would make us a stronger side but if for whatever reason we don't get the additions is it really doom and gloom?  Take some of last seasons results under Keegan along with the start this year.  Yes we won't be challenging for 4th but are the teams around about us really that much better and we still have Martins, Viduka, a fully fit Michael Owen and Barton to return.

As long as the club show progression over the season and climb the table it will be a good start I will be happy and then we can build on from there...

Not rushing into deals because we are desperate for players I'd imagine.

;D I actually missed that line when I first read it.

No, we're not rushing into deals now are we, because we're flush with players.

I think what it means is, even though we do need players we're still going to be choosy about who we sign.

No that's what I mean, we could go out and buy... I don't know, Danny Murphy, Luis Boamorte and Jlloyd Samuel.  Would that make you happy?  Or would you rather wait to see more of the standard of Jonas and Colo?

Guest Micktoon

On the basis on the first couple of games our first team is looking canny, desperate for another forward. However as I've said we are desperately thin, one look at the bench for the Coventry game brings shivers.

We have needed to buy since January, everyone at the club knew this and little has been done to change this. If the club is happy to stay where we were last season then fine, the current squad can and will achieve that.

The fact is though I was under the impression that we wanted to push on with Keegan at the helm and us the fans were led to believe that this would be case.

Not concerned as we will achieve status quo, if we avoid injuries we may even finish a little higher than last year. I am dissapointed in the fact that I think we deserve better than this.

Why?  Yes I know some new signings (providing they add something to the team) would make us a stronger side but if for whatever reason we don't get the additions is it really doom and gloom?  Take some of last seasons results under Keegan along with the start this year.  Yes we won't be challenging for 4th but are the teams around about us really that much better and we still have Martins, Viduka, a fully fit Michael Owen and Barton to return.

As long as the club show progression over the season and climb the table it will be a good start I will be happy and then we can build on from there...

Exactly how I feel. The point of that billionaire thread was that it appears many expected us to be spending money as though we are competing for the CL spots in this coming season, when we're quite clearly not. Just think people are being a little unreasonable tbh.

Guest neesy111

Exactly how I feel. The point of that billionaire thread was that it appears many expected us to be spending money as though we are competing for the CL spots in this coming season, when we're quite clearly not. Just think people are being a little unreasonable tbh.

that's how i feel, i would rather spend 50-60 million when we are in the position in the league to, so let's see we finish 7th this season, then to make the push for 4th-5th place, then we can do it then

Even without signings our squad's still bigger than Villa's or Everton's by the way.

Not saying I don't want any but...

Is that true?

If so, i have never heard that yet. It's a nice piece of knowledge to know that two of our main rivals have smaller squads, fills me with a touch more optimism.

Obviously doesn't hide the fact that we need more players like.

If we can get into the UEFA cup via the bloody intertoto that will do me this year. Back in europe and onto a better stage, next year we can try and invest a little more.

A few less reputable boards (is that possible!?) are spectulating that the "Wow" signing will be announced at 6 p.m. tonight. I believe it so much I'm off to bed. Hopefully Huntelaar will be a Toon player when I wake up tomorrow morning.....er.... maybe not.