Even Owen has price

Guest toonlass

TBH I would like to see us sign a decent striker before monday too, regardless of Michael Owen's contract situation. Just would like to see the lad signed up. You can't blame him though for not wanting to take a 10%+ pay cut can you?

No you cant, however i would have Harpers sorted before Owen for many reasons. I would like Owen signed up - but it has to be worth it to the club long term.

"Even Owen has price"

Hardly worth noting, of course any player has his price.  If Man Utd slapped £20m on the table tomorrow (not that I think they ever would) I'm sure the club would consider it given he COULD be off for nothing in a year.

Personally I would like Owen to stay and I'd accept him staying with same salary purely because I don't think we can buy a player of anywhere near his quality in our current situation.

Guest rebel_yell12

The first version of ths that I read (on BBC site) included the following final line:

"Owen will be on the bench for Newcastle's first home game of the new season against Bolton after the England striker recovered from the after-effects of a bout of mumps and a calf injury."

That by itself ended any concern in me over the content of the article.  Clearly top-notch journalism that.  Keegan's own comments were far more reasonable -- and correct (let's face it, if say...Man Utd offered NUFC for Owen what they are rumoured to be offering for Berbatov...would you say no?).  Doesn't mean Owen is leaving, just that it's rare that any player doesn't have a price.  Carragher at LFC, Shearer when he was playing...that sort are rare.

Owen will find it very, very hard to find a club who'll pay him what we are.

No he won't. He'll find it very easy actually. This time next year he'll be free. All those millions that a club will save on transfer fees will be available to stick straight on his wages, and that's exactly what they'll do to tempt him. The top four won't be in for him but there'll still be plenty of interest from other clubs. The advantage they have over us is that they can sit back for a season and see what he does in order to judge his worth.

Berbatov to Manu for £27m

Arshavin to Tottenham for £19m

Owen to Tottenham for £11m.

Owen to Blackburn is more likely, from what I'm hearing from...well, OK, from mates in Blackburn.

Would be perfect location for Owen though.

I think its right what he said. Every player is not untouchable and every player has their price. If someone offered 10 - 15 mil for owen thats a good price.

With milner 10 - 12 was more than enough tbh and I think we could buy two players from the continent that would prove to be better. English players are so overrated tbh. You look at the technique of some of the foreign players compared to some of our lot. Theres a world of differenc

Owen to Blackburn is more likely, from what I'm hearing from...well, OK, from mates in Blackburn.

Has Paul Ince won the Euromillions, like?

What kind of crack are you're mates in Blackburn on ?

Guest optimistic nit

Owen to blackburn? :lol:

blackburn wern't going to give hughes enough money for him to stay, i doubt they will give ince more.

What kind of crack are you're mates in Blackburn on ?

He writes for a national newspaper, thank you very much. And he posts regularly on a certain Blackburn forum known to certain people around here. Goes by the name of Nicholas. Not got it wrong ONCE yet.

Owen to Man City.

Thaksin gets his big name signing (after the Ronaldinho debacle).

We get a younger and fitter striker.

If anything, this is the most likely scenario.

Owen to Man City is even crazier than Owen to Blackburn. Or Owen to Accrington Stanley. :shifty:

Guest sittingontheball

Haven't the papers always said he was on 120,000 a week?

18,000 a week is only a million a year. That's only two places in the league.

No player is irreplaceable - but the best clubs replace top players BEFORE they are in desperate need of a similar one. Failure to do this simply means that the club concerned either has to pay over the odds(as NUFC did with Owen initially)OR they don't get the player they need ; Shearer's replacement should have been someone like Ashton, and the signing done 2 years before the player was essential to the team's success.

It would have cost NUFC around 6m to sign Ashton from Norwich,now they will pay at least double that to replace Owen or Viduka...

Its not hard to realise whats going on. KK says owen is for sale but ur going to have to break the bank i.e a bid over 20-25 million. All contract negotions are on hold till the xfer window closes (as KK said) and u shouldnt believe anything in the media. Chill out, im sure owen will get a contract matching his ability/form before january. If not he will be flogged if hes performing well or hell eventually accept a new contract if he gets injured