Arsenal 3 - 0 Newcastle United - 30/08/08 - post match reaction from page 28

Dave

Guest Brendan_Rice

Outclassed today.

Given 8 - Best keeper in the league would have been 6-0 if not for him

Beye 5 - ok not all that good though.

Taylor 4 - Ripped to shreds at times

Colo 6 - decent

Enrique 6 - Was looking good (Bassong 6.5 - Early days but like the look of him so far).

Jonas 7.5 - Our best outfield player by some distance. Great tracking back, and had a real go at them.

Butt 5.5 - A mixture of good and bad moments. Unlucky with his header

Gutherie 5 - Doesn't do enough for me.

Zoggy 5 - runs came to nothing

Ameobi 5 - Tried, but did very little overall.

Owen  5 - Didn't  really happen for him today, no supply.

Ameobi 5 and Owen 5 ? What did Ameobi do the whole game ? How many times did he touch the ball ? What was his role ? If Ameobi was replaced with a donkey, would it have made any difference ?

He got in the way of our best chance at goal if that counts?

Given 8 - Thank god we god not lose him

Beye 6- Taylor did him no favours today

Taylor 4 - Showed again how poor he can he and how stupid

Colo 6 - Not at his best but again Taylor was so weak he did double the work

Enrique 6 - was doing okay / Bassong 7 - I do like this lad, looks decent

Jonas 8 - A real star, superb work ethic, maybe tries to do a bit to much at times but who can blame him with the s**** he is playing with.

Butt 6.- Old legs that won;t carry the heart

Gutherie 5 - Looked out of his depth today.

Zoggy 4 - was poor today looked disinterested again

Ameobi ? - is he really a footballer?

Owen  6 - Worked hard but had nothing to feed off, will he stay? would you?

Agree with most of this, although I would give Taylor a 3, Guthrie was ok, a couple of our better balls came from his feet, I think he would benefit by replacing Butt, who is clearly past it.

Shola's only contribution of note was to get in the way of our best chance, where was the Ranger man?

And Sultanas commentary... I thought we had numbers on our backs to help them remember our players names... they only seemed to know Owen and Given as they said nada when anyone else had the ball. (unless it was something derogatory)

They were too strong, too quick and too good. A comprehensive defeat. Awful defending, awful play in midfield and up front and inept tactics. Disappointing, but expected. Arsenal are a formidable side when in full flow. Next.

This.  We've got 3 winnable games to prepare for and hopefully talent coming in.

Outclassed today.

Colo 6 - decent

Enrique 6 - Was looking good (Bassong 6.5 - Early days but like the look of him so far).

Jonas 7.5 - Our best outfield player by some distance. Great tracking back, and had a real go at them.

Taylor was better than Colo by some distance for me. STrong in the air, positionally good and saved what should have been a goal when Colo stepped up to challenge Vela, got turned and it ended up with Walcott 8 yards out hitting it wide at the near post because Taylor's positioning covered half the goal the other side of Shay.

Guthrie's passing is immense, just wish he had players with better end product to give it to.

I think you must have lost your mind.

Coloccini was playing at centre back by himself today. Of course Coloccini stepped up to challenge Vela, he was stepping up to challenge their attackers all game! And he was winning a lot of tackles. That is what you are supposed to do.

If it was left to Taylor he would keep backing off till he ended up in the goal with the ball. That is not how to defend. This is why he seems to be invisible half the time. It is because he never steps up to tackle anyone or try to win the ball or apply pressure. He keeps backing off again and again and so ends up in awful positions where he is way too deep in the box. It's terrible defending by a bad defender.

I can't believe you've just watched that game and can come out saying Taylor played better. It's quite startling.It's amazing to me.

Have to agree. Thought Taylor was subpar. There was a run of play where Adebayor had the ball on the right wing and Taylor just kept backing off and backing off. Jonas came in and actually pressured him for the ball and forced him to make a pass under pressure.

And he's still holding his f***ing arms out.

You just never back away like that, it's not the way to defend. Get low face the attacker, try and force them one way and get in position to put a tackle in. At the very worst you slow them down till help arrives.

You are the last line of protection. What sense does it make to run towards your goal when an attacker is coming at you. It infuriates me.  It's really basic stuff, but yet he's still doing it. Why no one points this out to him I will never know.

Depressing to watch.

Guest toonlass

I can not defend Ameobi one bit, made no movement what so ever.  Jesus he was bad.

Don't bring Jesus into this. He didn't select Ameobi.

I see Taylor did his 'plant feet into the ground' thing that is supposed to confound centre-forwards.

Ok, I'm staying here. Whatcha going to do now, eh?

Wait a minute, you've cleverly walked past me...

Outclassed today.

Colo 6 - decent

Taylor was better than Colo by some distance for me. STrong in the air, positionally good and saved what should have been a goal when Colo stepped up to challenge Vela, got turned and it ended up with Walcott 8 yards out hitting it wide at the near post because Taylor's positioning covered half the goal the other side of Shay.

Guthrie's passing is immense, just wish he had players with better end product to give it to.

I think you must have lost your mind.

Coloccini was playing at centre back by himself today. Of course Coloccini stepped up to challenge Vela, he was stepping up to challenge their attackers all game! And he was winning a lot of tackles. That is what you are supposed to do.

If it was left to Taylor he would keep backing off till he ended up in the goal with the ball. That is not how to defend. This is why he seems to be invisible half the time. It is because he never steps up to tackle anyone or try to win the ball or apply pressure. He keeps backing off again and again and so ends up in awful positions where he is way too deep in the box. It's terrible defending by a bad defender.

I can't believe you've just watched that game and can come out saying Taylor played better. It's quite startling.It's amazing to me.

Have to agree. Thought Taylor was subpar. There was a run of play where Adebayor had the ball on the right wing and Taylor just kept backing off and backing off. Jonas came in and actually pressured him for the ball and forced him to make a pass under pressure.

And he's still holding his f***ing arms out.

I have to disagree my friend. If a striker drops off so deep into his own midfield that he's got midfielders ahead of him, you don't as a CB chase him that far up the pitch. Colo's challenge on Vela was near the half way line at a time when the rest of our defence were closer to the 18 yard box. If this was 2 years ago we'd have been slating Boumsong for chasing strikers wherever they go on the pitch to try and win the ball. But as it's flavour of the month Colo he's praised for trying to win the ball (Even though he never, and from the 39th minute onwards he lost more of those he stepped out for than he won).

It pains some people on here to praise the unfashionable players, but Taylor won a LOT in the air today, and got many blocks in. HE stepped out of the line cleverly to deflect many arsenal shots for corners in the second half (Caused by an absent CM pairing not tracking their men).

I'm happy to stick my neck on the line: Taylor played better than Colo and Beye. I'll watch the full 90 mins again twice this week and update my opinion if i think it should change.

oh, on the adebayor thing, if he'd gone in at him there was a good chance adebayor would have been 2v1 against Bassong as last man as Colo was up and out of the defence again. With taylor's lack of pace against Ade i thought it was a good ploy to back off and actually he did well although a free kick was wrongly given against him. If it was a Ferdinand or Toure with more pace against Adebayor fair enough go in against him. What Taylor could hav done better mind was back off but only show him the touchline and force him down there. Taylor backed off towards goal however (tactic many CBs are taught). The lad does have a bright future tho.

Kaka in future by all means debate with me, that's great and what this forum's for. I'm glad you've been entertained like i have watching the team we love for the last 2 hours. But please in future do not feel you have to question my sanity or throw other insults at me. I respect you and would like the same mate. cheers  :thup:

Kaka in future by all means debate with me, that's great and what this forum's for. I'm glad you've been entertained like i have watching the team we love for the last 2 hours. But please in future do not feel you have to question my sanity or throw other insults at me. I respect you and would like the same mate. cheers  :thup:

if you think Taylor was positionally good today you really need help mate

I can not defend Ameobi one bit, made no movement what so ever.  Jesus he was bad.

Don't bring Jesus into this. He didn't select Ameobi.

To be fair, if Jesus was picking the squad, he could've healed Viduka and Martins...

if you think Taylor was positionally good today you really need help mate

He wasn't. Neither was Coloccini. Both were pretty crap today.