Did Keegan turn them all down?

KaKa

Guest FlapjackJoe

Gomis, Arda, Derdiyok, Sahin, Gomez, Pandev, Garay, Veloso, Digard, Chamakh, Skjelbred and many more.

There seemed to be quite a good number of promisingyoungsters who we were very strongly linked with this summer, and who it seems fit the criteria of the type of player the club wanted to see brought in.

You have to wonder if this squabbling between KK and the board effectively meant we couldn't seal deals for a number of them, as I doubt KK would have been familiar with them at all, especially as it now appears this squabbling has been going on from pretty early on.

I also imagine bringing some of these players in would have to have meant the sale of the higher earners who weren't really performing for us anymore i.e. Duff, Barton, Smith and maybe even Owen. However, these were also players KK apparently refused to let go.

Only God knows what kind of squad we might have assembled this summer, had we not had KK in charge. You really do have to wonder.

I'm pretty sure it was never a case of Ashley not wanting to invest more in the team this summer, but wanting to do so only after more of the high earners who weren't really contributing much, had been moved on.

Tbh I think KK screwed us royally from that standpoint. Very frustrating.

If that was true, why did he not also turn down Bassong then?

How much did we actually spend in the last transfer window? nothing! infact we made a profit. 15 teams in the PL spent a lot more than us, so yes I would say that was stingy.

Now can you actually prove any of that drivel you spouted in the opening post.

No you can't can you.

Ridiculous.

Can you name those 15 teams?

Gomis, Arda, Derdiyok, Sahin, Gomez, Pandev, Garay, Veloso, Digard, Chamakh, Skjelbred and many more.

There seemed to be quite a good number of promisingyoungsters who we were very strongly linked with this summer, and who it seems fit the criteria of the type of player the club wanted to see brought in.

You have to wonder if this squabbling between KK and the board effectively meant we couldn't seal deals for a number of them, as I doubt KK would have been familiar with them at all, especially as it now appears this squabbling has been going on from pretty early on.

I also imagine bringing some of these players in would have to have meant the sale of the higher earners who weren't really performing for us anymore i.e. Duff, Barton, Smith and maybe even Owen. However, these were also players KK apparently refused to let go.

Only God knows what kind of squad we might have assembled this summer, had we not had KK in charge. You really do have to wonder.

I'm pretty sure it was never a case of Ashley not wanting to invest more in the team this summer, but wanting to do so only after more of the high earners who weren't really contributing much, had been moved on.

Tbh I think KK screwed us royally from that standpoint. Very frustrating.

If that was true, why did he not also turn down Bassong then?

The club managed to bring in Bassong in on trial first, and so Keegan was able to take a good long look at him. Unfortunately, this is not always possible for every player that is identified.

You rubbish what I say then in return exclaim that it was due to the fact the board were too stingy. Well can you offer any proof of that? No you can't can you.

Apart from everything they've done since they got here?

Like investing a ton of money in the academy? In revamping our scouting network? Clearing all of our debt?

How much have we spent on our academy and why does it mean we can't afford to spend £6m on a premiership class left back when two different managers think the current one isn't up to it?

Probably because that premiership class left-back is average, and is not worth £6 million.

Also, we could have landed Atouba for £2 million with his contract running out. His club stated he was set to arrive at Newcastle on Saturday for a medical. The club had probably agreed a deal as an alternative, who was also prem experienced. All fo a sudden he doesn't show up and nothing else happened.

Did KK stop that move also? Very, very likely in my opinion.

Wait ... so how come none of the anti Ashley and anti board stuff isn't "rank" specualtion?

That's easy: The club's latest statements contradict their statements before the closing of the transfer window. Now we know that they lied.

And we've all seen the interview with Keegan where he said the final decision to sell Milner was his.  More lies?

i honestly dont think the major falling out was over milner. i think it was more likely over the barton/ owen/ xisco/ gonzalez end day antics of the board

We might never know for sure, but if people are accusing the board of telling lies about transfer policy then they also need to look at Keegan's part in keeping the pretense going.

If the populist view is to be believed then Keegan had little or no say in transfers for 8 months, but chose to go along with it.  We all know what Keegan is like and there is no way IMO that he would have stayed or stayed quiet for that length of time if he wasn't ok with the situation, and he certainly wouldn't have lied to the fans to cover for Ashley and co. if it was as bad as is being made out and he was genuinely unhappy.

Tbh I think

I really doubt that you can

We'll see soon enough won't we.

If this board stays in place, I'm sure they won't make a mistake with the next guy they bring in. Then we'll see soon enough how the playing staff evolves.

I'm just bringin up a point of discussion which is very, very plausible, bt because it isn't in line with the KK lovefest, you're getting frustrated.  Sucks for you.

You rubbish what I say then in return exclaim that it was due to the fact the board were too stingy. Well can you offer any proof of that? No you can't can you.

Ridiculous.

How much did we actually spend in the last transfer window? nothing! infact we made a profit. 15 teams in the PL spent a lot more than us, so yes I would say that was stingy.

No you can't can you.

Ridiculous.

How much money, how much money, how much moeny ...

First of all, a succesful window is not judged by how much money was spent, but the number of quality players that were broguht in. I have been extremely happy with every single player brought in this summer. Don't hold it against the club, because they were able to identify good players who hardly cost us anything.

Secondly, I would argue that we would probably have been able to bring in more of these types of players i.e. younger, more promising types who don't cost the Earth, if there wasn't this squabbling all summer.

Im more than happy with the players brought in (just not enough), what Im saying is you have no proof that more players would have come in if Keegan had let them, you could just as well say more players would have come in if Wise and Co had sold the club better to potential targets.

you have no proof for your opening post at all its just pointless

Guest SpinTheBlackCircle

You'd have a job buying some of those with a £12m budget. I've got a gut instinct that Skjelbred fell through because of KK though.

Skjelbred is shite.

No you can't can you.

Ridiculous.

Only Boro, Blackburn, West Ham, Spurs and Chelsea spent less than us. 4 of them spent more than us last year.

We must be the stingiest club in the world in comparison with our debt, crowds and revenue. But we've got the richest youth team so eh.

Wait ... so how come none of the anti Ashley and anti board stuff isn't "rank" specualtion?

That's easy: The club's latest statements contradict their statements before the closing of the transfer window. Now we know that they lied.

And we've all seen the interview with Keegan where he said the final decision to sell Milner was his.  More lies?

i honestly dont think the major falling out was over milner. i think it was more likely over the barton/ owen/ xisco/ gonzalez end day antics of the board

We might never know for sure, but if people are accusing the board of telling lies about transfer policy then they also need to look at Keegan's part in keeping the pretense going.

If the populist view is to be believed then Keegan had little or no say in transfers for 8 months, but chose to go along with it.  We all know what Keegan is like and there is no way IMO that he would have stayed or stayed quiet for that length of time if he wasn't ok with the situation, and he certainly wouldn't have lied to the fans to cover for Ashley and co. if it was as bad as is being made out and he was genuinely unhappy.

exactly edd - it all either points to something that wasn't cynical by the club but merely a breakdown over time between the parties involved

OR

keegan, as you say, was unhappy and had no say the whole time yet lied to the thousands of fans buying season tickets and let them pay 3 years in advance only to up ship and run at the last minute when it was all too late

if you believe he was lied to from day one then he's equally culpable in this respect, no?

exactly edd - it all either points to something that wasn't cynical by the club but merely a breakdown over time between the parties involved

OR

keegan, as you say, was unhappy and had no say the whole time yet lied to the thousands of fans buying season tickets and let them pay 3 years in advance only to up ship and run at the last minute when it was all too late

if you believe he was lied to from day one then he's equally culpable in this respect, no?

Very well put.

No you can't can you.

Ridiculous.

not of the top of my head, it was in the papers and on tv at the end of the window

You'd have a job buying some of those with a £12m budget. I've got a gut instinct that Skjelbred fell through because of KK though.

Skjelbred is shite.

So how come all of football Europe rates him as one of the brightest young midfield prospects?

OR

Very well put.

irrefutable logic surely?  it'll be ignored

Skjelbred is s****.

So how come all of football Europe rates him as one of the brightest young midfield prospects?

Who bought him in the end?

OR

Very well put.

Yep.  Nicely summed up my feelings on the subject  :thup:

Skjelbred is s****.

Who bought Arshavin?

And to answer your next question of him being priced out of a move ...

How come no one bought Arshavin when he was quoted as £6 million last summer?

Skjelbred is s****.

None, he's still at Rosenborg

He was able to stop the club recruiting them by saying he didn't like the players they had highlighted, now we all know if they wanted to go out and sign them then they could but it's clear to me that they've tried to make it work and not force any player on him that he didn't want, until they did at the end of the window which was why he walked out.

The question is why did they bring those players in that he didn't want on the last day of the window and not earlier? Th obvious answer to that is because up until then they didn't want to go behind his back and cause friction, but in the end they had little choice.

This.

He was able to stop the club recruiting them by saying he didn't like the players they had highlighted, now we all know if they wanted to go out and sign them then they could but it's clear to me that they've tried to make it work and not force any player on him that he didn't want, until they did at the end of the window which was why he walked out.

The question is why did they bring those players in that he didn't want on the last day of the window and not earlier? Th obvious answer to that is because up until then they didn't want to go behind his back and cause friction, but in the end they had little choice.

This.

garbage

pure speculation but it is the most reasonable answer for the whole situation. doesn't anyone feel the transfer activity has stopped since the signing of Bassong, and suddenly restart just 2-3 days before the window closed?

Only just flitted through this but the general gist I am getting from this is that we are suggesting that Kevin was acting in a way that would jeopardise this club's season and basically fuck us over.

If it true, and to be fair from a lot of the point I have read its perfectly feasible,  then the man would seriously go down in my estimation but I guess I have to ask myself, would he do something like that and for what reason?

Apart from everything they've done since they got here?

Like investing a ton of money in the academy? In revamping our scouting network? Clearing all of our debt?

Please show me the facts re investment and clearing the debt.  I've never seen any figures re investment in the academy, I have not seen any accounts that show the debt has been paid off, rather I have been told it has been moved into the holding company and still exists. 

Errr, or how about the view Keegan came in at the end of a transfer window, was promised funds and control of transfers in the summer - the summer came and over the next couple of months it became clear to Keegan that actually he actually wasn't in control culminating in the sale of Milner, the attempted sale of Owen and the bringing in of two players that he didn't sanction which was the final straw for him?

Truth or fiction?  Who knows, nobody actually knows but some on here seem to have made up facts out of nothing.

Errr, or how about the view Keegan came in at the end of a transfer window, was promised funds and control of transfers in the summer - the summer came and over the next couple of months it became clear to Keegan that actually he actually wasn't in control culminating in the sale of Milner, the attempted sale of Owen and the bringing in of two players that he didn't sanction which was the final straw for him?

Truth or fiction?  Who knows, nobody actually knows but some on here seem to have made up facts out of nothing.

slugsy, he came in right in the middle of the january window iirc

also following your own version of events there (where you're probably describing what REALLY happened) it all fell apart near the end rather being a charade from the beginning

i would follow this myself personally but none of it answers the question why the club persued NONE of keegans targets does it? 

Thats just about how I see it, given the choice of believing Keegan who has always been straight or Ashley, wise etc it seems a bit of a no brainer,