Joint Statement from "The Mag" and "True Faith".

Guest Heneage

The reality is that Ashley wont sell unless someone is prepared to pay his asking price, and i can see no harm in 'Ashley Out' campaigning when its clear that there is someone on the horizon. If you say there will never be any forewarning or prior knowledge if a groupis interested in buying then that answers my question about the point of campaigning in the first place.

Forget campaigning as a way of forcing Ashley out. I agree it's very unlikely to work to that end. The situation is though that the club has seriously pissed off most supporters by its actions in the last week, and whether that be by negligence, by design or through no fault of his own, does not change that fact. I'm sure at this moment Ashley is regretting what has happened and if he could go back in time he'd do something to at least put off Keegan resigning (until he could undermine him a bit more ho ho).

However, if after such a sacred cow has been used and cast adrift, if after such an initial public outcry, there were now to be no protests, no boycoutts, no repercussions whatsoever, what message does that send to Ashley? If he can carry on through this as if nothing has happened, it tells him he can do whatever the f*** he likes with the club from now to the end of time and noone will bat an eyelid. Is that the "relationship" we want with the owner of the club?

Protest and affect the revenue of his other businesses now and it sends him a message so perhaps he'll at least think twice about crossing the supporters again. Do nothing, and expect an equal measure of respect to be given to our opinion in the future.

Aye, good post UV and I'm not against any protests at the moment if i'm honest, i'm just not wildly excited about them ending up positive. However, i take your point about letting him know not to fuck about in the future, it even means if the magic billionaire does materialise he is more likely to sell on the back of protests. I'm just not convinced one exists. According to the same papers who were right about the behind the scenes problems this summer, Ashley has been trying to flog the club to anyone and everyone. No takers so far at the price he's been asking apparently.

As pete said before, you never know if a new owner is around the corner with a bid but if this Indian lot are interested in buying the club, i'd have thought they'd be hoping to pick a club up for the price of city, not 300m or whatever it is Ashley wants. For a club in this current state :(

I agree with you. Having seen protests before, I'm not optimistic they succeed, but they can make you feel better for a while  :coolsmiley:

The real crust now, is Ashley [and his band of merry men] has been found to be an arsehole of the highest order, and so we are back to where we were a while ago, we know the club is for sale, and we have to hope the new owners will be good owners, and try to be successful. [like the Halls and Shepherd ........]

In the meantime, lets just hope that Ashley doesn't preside over the shambles that followed Gordon Lee's walkout in 1976 and asset strip in the meantime.

I think that moment has passed this time thankfully but the current players have already been badly affected by this whole episode.

As for the debate of 18 months ago  :coolsmiley:

<sigh>

Do you reckon Ashley may hold on to the club Chez.......at first I thought he would be looking to just get rid, but now you have time to think about it, I reckon he might get a bit bloody minded about it.

Loads of people noticed these "so- called embarrassing things". The dogs/Mary Poppins comment was front page news if I recall correctly.

Pretending for a moment that it matters, do you imagine for one second that Ashley could not very easily be caught in such a sting operation saying far, far worse things about the club, it's staff, and the supporters. There's no doubt in my mind that the tabloids will be hatching their schemes to catch him out as we type, and with the lack of tact he has shown in his few public interviews (I hate Spurs me, cave in Afghanistan) I can only imagine what he'll come out with when pissed in private. I'm expecting to see something within the year.

What in a brothel with possies? I'd be surprised if he was stupid enough to fall for that.

Strange that there seems to be the same 2/3 posters all over these threads that don't agree with the popularist view on the club. That's fair enough, but I would have to question their motives for it,  when they feel the need to do it on EVERY thread about this. Maybe pushing a bit too hard shows up the fact that they are doing it mainly to go against the grain instead of actually truly believe what they are saying.

If the popularist view is to place more importance to the kind of mild insults any of us might come out with in private than to finishing third and playing in the Champions League (you know, in the middle of the period where we "bent over and took it up the arse from the club"), then I'm happy to be labelled contrary.

Well it's a good job for Robson, otherwise you would have been able to mention the champions league.

No actually, I promise myself when I shut the computer down last time that I wouldn't get involved in the Shepherd thing.

So what you're saying is if we concentrate on finishing 3rd that'll happen?

I wish someone had told me earlier.

The reality is that Ashley wont sell unless someone is prepared to pay his asking price, and i can see no harm in 'Ashley Out' campaigning when its clear that there is someone on the horizon. If you say there will never be any forewarning or prior knowledge if a groupis interested in buying then that answers my question about the point of campaigning in the first place.

Forget campaigning as a way of forcing Ashley out. I agree it's very unlikely to work to that end. The situation is though that the club has seriously pissed off most supporters by its actions in the last week, and whether that be by negligence, by design or through no fault of his own, does not change that fact. I'm sure at this moment Ashley is regretting what has happened and if he could go back in time he'd do something to at least put off Keegan resigning (until he could undermine him a bit more ho ho).

However, if after such a sacred cow has been used and cast adrift, if after such an initial public outcry, there were now to be no protests, no boycoutts, no repercussions whatsoever, what message does that send to Ashley? If he can carry on through this as if nothing has happened, it tells him he can do whatever the f*** he likes with the club from now to the end of time and noone will bat an eyelid. Is that the "relationship" we want with the owner of the club?

Protest and affect the revenue of his other businesses now and it sends him a message so perhaps he'll at least think twice about crossing the supporters again. Do nothing, and expect an equal measure of respect to be given to our opinion in the future.

Aye, good post UV and I'm not against any protests at the moment if i'm honest, i'm just not wildly excited about them ending up positive. However, i take your point about letting him know not to fuck about in the future, it even means if the magic billionaire does materialise he is more likely to sell on the back of protests. I'm just not convinced one exists. According to the same papers who were right about the behind the scenes problems this summer, Ashley has been trying to flog the club to anyone and everyone. No takers so far at the price he's been asking apparently.

As pete said before, you never know if a new owner is around the corner with a bid but if this Indian lot are interested in buying the club, i'd have thought they'd be hoping to pick a club up for the price of city, not 300m or whatever it is Ashley wants. For a club in this current state :(

I agree with you. Having seen protests before, I'm not optimistic they succeed, but they can make you feel better for a while  :coolsmiley:

The real crust now, is Ashley [and his band of merry men] has been found to be an arsehole of the highest order, and so we are back to where we were a while ago, we know the club is for sale, and we have to hope the new owners will be good owners, and try to be successful. [like the Halls and Shepherd ........]

In the meantime, lets just hope that Ashley doesn't preside over the shambles that followed Gordon Lee's walkout in 1976 and asset strip in the meantime.

I think that moment has passed this time thankfully but the current players have already been badly affected by this whole episode.

As for the debate of 18 months ago  :coolsmiley:

<sigh>

Do you reckon Ashley may hold on to the club Chez.......at first I thought he would be looking to just get rid, but now you have time to think about it, I reckon he might get a bit bloody minded about it.

Impossible to say but by the look of things he's installing a manager for this system, if it works he'll stay, if it fails he will no doubt sell and leave. Just depends on what you define as success or failure and what he defines it as.

Loads of people noticed these "so- called embarrassing things". The dogs/Mary Poppins comment was front page news if I recall correctly.

Pretending for a moment that it matters, do you imagine for one second that Ashley could not very easily be caught in such a sting operation saying far, far worse things about the club, it's staff, and the supporters. There's no doubt in my mind that the tabloids will be hatching their schemes to catch him out as we type, and with the lack of tact he has shown in his few public interviews (I hate Spurs me, cave in Afghanistan) I can only imagine what he'll come out with when pissed in private. I'm expecting to see something within the year.

What in a brothel with possies? I'd be surprised if he was stupid enough to fall for that.

Strange that there seems to be the same 2/3 posters all over these threads that don't agree with the popularist view on the club. That's fair enough, but I would have to question their motives for it,  when they feel the need to do it on EVERY thread about this. Maybe pushing a bit too hard shows up the fact that they are doing it mainly to go against the grain instead of actually truly believe what they are saying.

If the popularist view is to place more importance to the kind of mild insults any of us might come out with in private than to finishing third and playing in the Champions League (you know, in the middle of the period where we "bent over and took it up the arse from the club"), then I'm happy to be labelled contrary.

Well it's a good job for Robson, otherwise you would have been able to mention the champions league.

No actually, I promise myself when I shut the computer down last time that I wouldn't get involved in the Shepherd thing.

do you mean "wouldn't"

If not for Alex Ferguson, then Manu wouldn't either. What sort of daft talk is that ?

do you mean "wouldn't"

If not for Alex Ferguson, then Manu wouldn't either. What sort of daft talk is that ?

Yep I did mean that. cheers.

It's not daft talk as we employed other managers who failed in that time period, so if it wasn't for Robson we wouldn't be able to say that. manure had one, Ferguson.

do you mean "wouldn't"

It's not daft talk as we employed other managers who failed in that time period, so if it wasn't for Robson we wouldn't be able to say that. manure had one, Ferguson.

<sigh>

this has all been said before.

You're so determined to slate Shepherd you can't even give him [ them ie the board ] for appointing Bobby Robson, and managing a team that qualified in the Champions League and europe ?

Dalglish and Gullit, at the time, were also 2 high profile successful managers, in the case of Dalglish, at the time, he was on a par with Alex Ferguson.

What a difference 90 minutes makes eh ? If THE PLAYERS had performed in one of 2 FA Cup Finals and won one of them [and a number of games under Robson too] what would you say then ?

Seriously mate, its attitudes like this that you can't help but wonder about

do you mean "wouldn't"

<sigh>

You're so determined to slate Shepherd you can't even give him [ them ie the board ] for appointing Bobby Robson, and managing a team that qualified in the Champions League and europe ?

Dalglish and Gullit, at the time, were also 2 high profile successful managers, in the case of Dalglish, at the time, he was on a par with Alex Ferguson.

What a difference 90 minutes makes eh ? If THE PLAYERS had performed in one of 2 FA Cup Finals and won one of them [and a number of games under Robson too] what would you say then ?

We'll never agree, so I'm going to stop.

do you mean "wouldn't"

<sigh>

We'll never agree, so I'm going to stop.

there's nowt to disagree about. They appointed Bobby Robson who got us into the Champions League and the top 3, a manager who had won the title with 4 times with 2 different clubs, FA Cups, and another who had just won the FA Cup and was widely regarded as one of the top up and coming ones.

And played in europe more than everybody but 4 teams, and reached the FA Cup Final twice for the first time in 24 years, where they unlucky played the Champions on both occasions.

Whats to disagree ro dispute about that ?

You tell me what isn't true.

It's wierd this, you saying we don't agree. What do you disagree with ?

Why does it always come back to the same old shitty fucking arguments about the old board?

Give it a rest, it's boring as fuck and in no way relevant.

Sadly because the current board have not give us reason to blow rasberrys at the previous board and say "we told you they were better".

Why does it always come back to the same old shitty f***ing arguments about the old board?

Give it a rest, it's boring as f*** and in no way relevant.

Sadly because the current board have not give us reason to blow rasberrys at the previous board and say "we told you they were better".

depends on which way you count as"better". no-one disagrees under the previous board we had some success but i'd rather be in the position we are in now than where i think we'd have been with shepherd/allardyce.  (and i know theres a few on here that think that may well have been in the championship)

Why does it always come back to the same old shitty f***ing arguments about the old board?

Give it a rest, it's boring as f*** and in no way relevant to the joint statements.

I tried my best, I really did. I've even found some perverse sort of pleasure in agreeing with him these last few days.

Sorry.

:tickedoff:

depends on which way you count as"better". no-one disagrees under the previous board we had some success but i'd rather be in the position we are in now than where i think we'd have been with shepherd/allardyce.  (and i know theres a few on here that think that may well have been in the championship)

Yeah "better" was probably too simplistic.

Better = More stable, better decision making, sensible transfer policies (i.e. no mad salaries paid to average players)

We are nearly there i agree but they still have a lot to learn

In response to Dave comment though I think this will rumble on unless Ashley proves himself near flawless (I think a couple of seasons like Villa have had... steady, promising, good squad building, Owner conspicuous by his absence) should do the trick

Why does it always come back to the same old shitty fucking arguments about the old board?

Give it a rest, it's boring as fuck and in no way relevant to the joint statements.

perhaps because people keep trying to say that qualifying for the Champions League and europe on a regular basis was "shite" Dave.

But I'll leave it there, as I'm sure plenty of others agree that it was indeed, shite.

Lets hope the next board, are a good board.

Guest optimistic nit

that statement is embaressing, over the top and thoughrally patronising and ridiculous

If only you'd spelt ridiculous incorrectly too, that could have been the most ironic post ever.

in what way is that post over the top, patronising or ridiculous?

that statement is embaressing, over the top and thoughrally patronising and ridiculous

If only you'd spelt ridiculous incorrectly too, that could have been the most ironic post ever.

in what way is that post over the top, patronising or ridiculous?

It's patronising because it is calling someone else's views embarrassing and ridiculous without an argument as to why.

It's ridiculous because of the thoroughly atrocious spelling and grammar.

Give it a rest, it's boring as fuck and in no way relevant to the joint statements.

perhaps because people keep trying to say that qualifying for the Champions League and europe on a regular basis was "shite" Dave.

But I'll leave it there, as I'm sure plenty of others agree that it was indeed, shite.

What are you on about?

I didn't know we'd be having a new board any time soon, thanks for the update.

What are you on about?

I didn't know we'd be having a new board any time soon, thanks for the update.

where did I say "soon"