Didier Deschamps

LooneyToonArmy

NUFC face fight to land Didier Deschamps

Sep 9 2008 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

NEWCASTLE United could face a fight if they turn to legendary French World Cup-winning captain Didier Deschamps.

Spurs’ assistant manager Gus Poyet remains the overwhelming favourite to succeed Kevin Keegan after working as Dennis Wise’s No 2 at Leeds United and Swindon Town.

The Uruguayan is believed to have already held talks in the capital with United’s representatives.

But former Juventus and Monaco boss Deschamps is also on Newcastle’s radar should Poyet – who is reluctant to give up life in the capital – opt out of a switch to Tyneside. Poyet’s superb relationship with United executive director Tony Jimenez may also see the Londoner swing a deal despite Poyet’s reservations about moving north again.

Deschamps fits into the framework of the club’s controversial two-tier management system which resulted in Kevin Keegan quitting the club.

However, Deschamps is an admirer of executive Dennis Wise after developing a strong friendship with the Londoner during his solitary season in England back in 1999/2000 when Chelsea won the FA Cup, beating the Magpies in the semi-final 2-1 at Wembley.

Yet although Deschamps is currently out of work, sources in France claim that he is in line for the national team job with current Les Bleus head coach Raymond Domenech fighting for his job.

A source close to Deschamps told the Chronicle: “It’s no secret that Didier was close to Dennis Wise during his time at Chelsea.

“And he was certainly interested in the job back in January before Keegan came in.

“The problem is that everybody thinks that he will be the next national team manager, very soon.”

Back in January when his agent Jeannot Werth was asked if Deschamps would be interested, he replied: “Yes, why not?”

Deschamps’ managerial CV is quite impressive – as a rookie boss he won the French League Cup with Monaco in 2003 before leading the principality side to the Champions League final in 2004, where they lost 3-0 to Porto.

And in 2007 he resigned as Juve coach after taking the club back to Serie A after the club had been demoted following the infamous match-fixing scandal a year earlier which had resulted in Fabio Capello losing his job.

France – who were dumped out of Euro 2008 in the group stages – were also gunned down by Austria 3-1 over the weekend in their World Cup qualification group.

And failure to beat Serbia on home soil tomorrow night could spell the end for Domenech, with national hero Deschamps one of the favourites to take his place.

French Football Federation president Jean-Pierre Escalettes has also given Domenech the dreaded vote of confidence after the loss in Vienna.

Now Le Graet, the FFF’s vice-president, has again come out in defence of the coach with the pressure growing in France.

He said: “People are coming to see Domenech’s head roll more than to watch a match. That is not right.”

Deschamps was staying under the radar today, with the outcome of France’s clash with Serbia the key to his future.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/09/09/nufc-face-fight-to-land-didier-deschamps-72703-21709061/

Why is he the overwhelming favourite? What has exactly has he done to elevate himself into such a position? Why is he better than the other candidates (must be more to it than just his relationship with Wise)?

I'm not one of those who have completely written off the Ashley regime already but i might well be having second thoughts if we devote all our time and effort into bringing Poyet in.

I am absolutely fed up of the word "source"

There needs to be a campaign to frequently use Craig-vocab, i.e. the infamous "sensing". Much better than sources.

What more evidence do you need than "word on the street" and "my understanding is"....

Guest guinness_fiend

Mods: please can we have a separate section on this forum for unsourced fictitious material, else the mongs will start salivating and/or sharpening their pointy sticks?

Aye, if we bring in Poyet my Ashley defending will be pretty much impossible!

This summers influx of south american/spanish speakers is maybe a hint as to where they may be directing their search for a new man. I have a feeling your fears will be realised.

Aye, if we bring in Poyet my Ashley defending will be pretty much impossible!

This summers influx of south american/spanish speakers is maybe a hint as to where they may be directing their search for a new man. I have a feeling your fears will be realised.

Argh! :weep:

Seriously though, a lot of clubs have used the theory of buying enclaves of particular language speakers or nationalities... I don't think it is a bad thing generally. Except if it leads to Gus Poyet being our manager of course.

Guest guinness_fiend

Why would poyet have to any different to the rest of them and give up life in london to be manager?

By "rest of them," I presume that you mean the other Premiership managers who live in London and commute to work, like Alex Ferguson, Mark Hughes, Harry Redknapp, Rafa Benitez etc?

Or, was that another pathetic attempt at sarcasm and anti-Wise baiting?

Guest Chubby Jason

I think Poyet would be a smart choice.

why? What has he ever doine to prove that? He was assistant at a couple of lower league clubs and now is assistant again at an underachieving premierleague team.

No thanks.

Guest Jawesome

Doesnt matter anyway

Anyone associated with Wise will be hated and not given a chance

...and?

And what?

And.......ya mam, or something along those lines of this very intellectual conversation.

why? What has he ever doine to prove that? He was assistant at a couple of lower league clubs and now is assistant again at an underachieving premierleague team.

No thanks.

I said smart choice which means you have to disengage the hatred to understand. Not possible?

Ok.

Guest Chubby Jason

No thanks.

I said smart choice which means you have to disengage the hatred to understand. Not possible?

Ok.

I think all I did was state a couple of facts, giving a pretty good reasoning as to why he wouldn't be a smart choice. Didn't really see any vitriol or hatred in there at all if I'm being honest.

So why would he be a "smart choice" then?

Why is he the overwhelming favourite? What has exactly has he done to elevate himself into such a position? Why is he better than the other candidates (must be more to it than just his relationship with Wise)?

I'm not one of those who have completely written off the Ashley regime already but i might well be having second thoughts if we devote all our time and effort into bringing Poyet in.

I think Poyet's popularity with the bookies is based on a combination of factors:

- Swindon and Tottenham's league performance were positively affected by Poyet's presence as assistant manager

- Ferguson's apparent pursuit of Poyet as his assistant

- Clearly, his friendship with club executives is a big influence on how the bookies shape their market - there's a very big chance they will indeed give the job to the boy

And this is what bothers me - whatever your position on the rights and wrongs of Keegan's departure, appointing Poyet would be PR suicide. It's all very well to be a maverick but Ashley seems bent on loading the bullets for the firing squad.*

Besides which, I prefer the Water Carrier, which is why I'm in the Deschamps thread! Bummer to hear about the France job - hope Les Bleus smash Serbia to keep Domenech in a job :lol:

* I make those comments as someone who has supported Ashley throughout this saga - not without deep misgivings, but support nonetheless.