Jonas Gutierrez

Guest Coubury

He reminds me a lot of Alan Ball.

Granted I never saw much of Alan Ball though.

WTF?

Some of you lot are unreal.

He's our only threat from midfield and people still look for reasons to slate the guy.

Secondly, if he was surrounded by a tiny bit of quality, he might have half a chance of looking like the player he could be.

Alan Ball was a great player!

Guest Saint Andy

Jonas is a class act, pacey, takes people on and beats them, and has already set up several assists.

I can't believe people on here are having a go at him, like someone said, it's his first season in the premiership.

Class act for a player who isn't going to score or assist heavily. Of all the players in our squad, I think he'd look the best in a top four side, because the opposition couldn't afford to double up on him all game without worrying about the space that would leave for other dangers/talented players in a top four calibre team.

Works hard, good touch, decent passing, good movement, beats players consistently, drives the team forward and plays teamates into good positions (not direct goalscoring opportunities, but situations where they can go and provide that for someone else), and will chip in with a moderate number of assists over the course of a season.

Thinking about it, he'd actually be a perfect signing for ManU. Good foil for C.Ronaldo on the other flank who provides the end product that Gutierrez doesn't, has the movement/touch/awareness to fit into ManU's system along with the work rate, and would be a big upgrade on Park Ji Sung. Ferguson tends to be a bit slow when it comes to signing established Premiership players from other clubs, he's usually prepared to wait a season or two before any real interest comes out in the open, so although there may be no sign of it right now, I wouldn't be suprised if Fergie has an eye on him, especially after that opening day Old Trafford performance.

Jonas is a class act, pacey, takes people on and beats them, and has already set up several assists.

I can't believe people on here are having a go at him, like someone said, it's his first season in the premiership.

Agreed, how anyone can slate him on here is amazing. His work rate and skills are unbelievable.

Other teams rate him obviously, otherwise they wouldn't be double marking him.

Is it because Wise signed him? Could that be the underlying reason some don't like him? It can't be his footballing ability surely.

It's not his fault that he beats 3 players and crosses the ball to where the strikers should be but are floating about somewhere else. My guess is that a top 4 side will snap him up sooner or later and he'll be very sorely missed by us.

Guest neesy111

Agreed, how anyone can slate him on here is amazing. His work rate and skills are unbelievable.

Is it because Wise signed him? Could that be the underlying reason some don't like him? It can't be his footballing ability surely.

It's not his fault that he beats 3 players and crosses the ball to where the strikers should be but are floating about somewhere else. My guess is that a top 4 side will snap him up sooner or later and he'll be very sorely missed by us.

my problem is he need's to start providing goals we can't rely on other's, we should expect around 10 goals a season from him, robert and solano would get around the mark consistently

apart from that he is a very good player, pity we ain't got the coaches to teach him how to shot

my problem is he need's to start providing goals we can't rely on other's, we should expect around 10 goals a season from him, robert and solano would get around the mark consistently

apart from that he is a very good player, pity we ain't got the coaches to teach him how to shot

You're living in the clouds if you think that any of our midfielders are capable of 10 goals a season. To be fair to Solano and Robert, a lot of them goals were from dead balls and we don't have a player that can deliver a good one in or hit the target consistently. Jesus, it's a miracle if we score a goal outside the box now-a-days.

Jonas has 2 or 3 assists so far. It's a start and I think with some more like minded  team mates we'd get the best out of him.

Guest Geordiesned

Come on some stato how many assists has he got? I bet is more than any other player we have, at times I am shocked tot eh very core at things said on here about our own players.

3. Villa, Stoke and Portsmouth.

Guest toonlass

A problem we have, and need to start expoiting, is that while Jonas is beating 2-3 men the players that are unmarked because their markers are trying to get the ball of Jonas are not making the most of the freedom they have. If these players make more use of the space they have then we will see the benefits.

All fur coat and no knickers. Yesterday was another Jonas show of huge effort and zero end product. Hes essentially a hairier version of Dyer, without the odd goal now and again.

Sorry but your just an idiot....did you even watch the game? not match of the day

Pipe down pipsqueak. I've seen every game this year so feel i'm quite entitled to my opinion that Guttierez is a decent player but nowhere near as good as many people think.

I did not say you were not but tbh you must be stupid or not understand football.  He must be s*** playing for Argentina, he must be s*** because he ran the show against man u away... Maybe  when you watched him play every game of the season you missed that? Or maybe your just missing the fact that he puts the ball in good areas but we are lucky if we have 2 people in the box attacking them.

If jonas is an ok player as you say f***ing hell we might as well get ourself into the coca cola now because he is the only player in our midfield that looks dangerous (Apart form zog)

How about putting some crosses, any crosses where the striker who he works with in training every day actually are?

Solano and Robert were footballers of a lot more talent and ability.

The idea of teaching a professional footballer how to shoot at his age and at this level makes me absolutely despair.

WTF?

He's our only threat from midfield and people still look for reasons to slate the guy.

Secondly, if he was surrounded by a tiny bit of quality, he might have half a chance of looking like the player he could be.

WTF?

Alan Ball was a great player!

How do you know? You've just admitted you've hardly seen him!!

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/01/12/winger-jonas-gutierrez-devastated-after-draw-72703-22673375/

Winger Jonas Gutierrez devastated after draw

Jan 12 2009 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

JONAS GUTIERREZ has revealed his devastation after coming so close to scoring a last-gasp winner for Newcastle United against West Ham.

The former Real Mallorca star was just about to pull the trigger at Gallowgate before being denied by Matthew Upson’s sliding tackle.

Gutierrez, who put in another workmanlike shift down the left wing, feels nobody could have complained had United picked up all three points in one of the most entertaining matches of the season at St James’s Park.

However, the game will always be tainted in the eyes of Gutierrez, who thought he had won it at the death.

He told the Chronicle: “It’s hard to take. I feel I had the last real chance of the game and that would have won it for us.

“I don’t think West Ham could have recovered from that.

“I wanted to put the ball into the bottom corner, but Upson has made a very good tackle.”

United dominated their clash with West Ham, but were let down by a bad start to the second half in which they allowed Carlton Cole to add to Craig Bellamy’s equaliser.

But Gutierrez feels Newcastle would have been worthy winners – and hailed the impact of goal hero Andy Carroll.

He added: “It’s important for any young striker to get their first goal early in their career.

“He played very well and for the team.

“It’s vital for strikers to have confidence and they get that from their goals.

“I think he’s an exciting player for the future.

“We have some good new players coming through.”

God, I think he is fantastic. I thought he was (once again) fantastic on Saturday and when I'm nearly gone I will still think myself privileged to have seen him play. Yes, I would criticise him for hesitating before shooting in the ingury-time chance but the way he got himself into that situation was just sublime. Even Andy Gray, during the Last Word on Sunday, described him as a find..

Class act for a player who isn't going to score or assist heavily. Of all the players in our squad, I think he'd look the best in a top four side, because the opposition couldn't afford to double up on him all game without worrying about the space that would leave for other dangers/talented players in a top four calibre team.

Works hard, good touch, decent passing, good movement, beats players consistently, drives the team forward and plays teamates into good positions (not direct goalscoring opportunities, but situations where they can go and provide that for someone else), and will chip in with a moderate number of assists over the course of a season.

Thinking about it, he'd actually be a perfect signing for ManU. Good foil for C.Ronaldo on the other flank who provides the end product that Gutierrez doesn't, has the movement/touch/awareness to fit into ManU's system along with the work rate, and would be a big upgrade on Park Ji Sung. Ferguson tends to be a bit slow when it comes to signing established Premiership players from other clubs, he's usually prepared to wait a season or two before any real interest comes out in the open, so although there may be no sign of it right now, I wouldn't be suprised if Fergie has an eye on him, especially after that opening day Old Trafford performance.

Speculative, but there's base behind what you say. Saha, Berbatov & Tevez are cases in point - where approaches were made amidst a series of streaks of hot-form, pertaining to the players mentioned. You could also mentione their/United repeated attempts to sign Viera - when Kenyon was CEO - as another example, after Viera had quickly established himself as the league's premier deep-playing midfielder. A natural & eventual successor for Keane.

If clubs do have their eye on him - as you say - then the Summer transfer window will make for interesting reading, if we avoid the drop this season. Afterall the club, according to their mantra, are placing an emphasis on signing players with marketable resale value. Gutierrezz, probably signed for a couple of million - if the club financed him paying off his Mallorca contract, fits the bill if Ashley can recoup 10m and a hefty profit on the original Webster-based outlay.

With a quota of good/Quick attack-minded midfielders around him, provided Ashley has the ambition to significantly strengthen the squad over the next two windows & beyond - and with a slightly 'out of the box' thinking manager at the helm, i envision Guiterrez in the role that was was earmarked for Viana & previously held by *Speed. And Viana didn't have the accompanying physical attributes & toughness to compliment his undoubted range of passing.

*Converted attacking midfielder, in that conversion is based on the player's an ability to read the play & knowing when to hit the right pass & and this often translates into being able to read the oppostion's build-up play from a defensive standpoint when asked to fill a more defensive orientated role in the middle of the park. And Speed was never an all-out physical-type destroyer as Robson's deeper playing creator. Carrick, when making a comparison with his role at West Ham during the early stages of his career to his present & previous midfield role United and Spurs, has followed a similar path.

Guitterrez rebounding & setting up counterattacks, from the deeper positions through the central corridor, is the most fascinating scenario imo.

Some of the criticism on here verges almost on the pathetic.

Its unreal at times. Neesy111 for example needs to keep his eyes open when watching matches.

Jonas is a class act, he can't do everything in a shit team. Jesus indeed weeps at the forum sometimes, his tears form a river all the way to hell.

You're living in the clouds if you think that any of our midfielders are capable of 10 goals a season. To be fair to Solano and Robert, a lot of them goals were from dead balls and we don't have a player that can deliver a good one in or hit the target consistently. Jesus, it's a miracle if we score a goal outside the box now-a-days.

Jonas has 2 or 3 assists so far. It's a start and I think with some more like minded  team mates we'd get the best out of him.

I remember a fair percentage of Solano's efforts on goal - and his accompanying return - resulted sneaking from his wing and covering the far post, and meeting whatever was crossed/delivered from left-sided channels.

Nobby's innate reading of the play, and knowing when to sneak-in (particularly spotting his opposing defender/fullback drifting too far inside the penalty box ala Carr), won't be equaled for some time i suspect. It's a trait, coupled with a matching goal return, i don't expect to see from Jonas.

Nobby scored quite a few times, often unmarked at the far post, when the build-up play originated on the left side. Scored with a couple of headers as well. To dismiss Solano's overall goal return as free-kick induced is a bit of a misplaced myth imo.