Jonas Gutierrez

Guest Coubury

0 goals 3 assists, all he offers is effort

I am with you as far as his stats go.

Its just his work rate we really need and will put that effort in no matter what position he is in, its pointless him bursting forward for it to come to nothng time after time.

Guest firetotheworks

This whole thing about Jonas's assists being bollocks are fair enough, and true. But if we dont have a better replacement then exactly what is the point in putting him somewhere else?

The alternative is Duff.

Carry the ball a long way to lose it or see it come to nothing anyway, then be high up the pitch and have to leg it all the way back to help out.

I agree that maybe we don't hav a better option for the wing like but he is not supplying or scoring so maybe Duff is a better choice, I know I know "DUFF!!2 but he has goals and assists to his name, so therefore offers more as an attacking option..

Carry the ball a long way to lose it or see it come to nothing anyway, then be high up the pitch and have to leg it all the way back to help out.

I agree that maybe we don't hav a better option for the wing like but he is not supplying or scoring so maybe Duff is a better choice, I know I know "DUFF!!2 but he has goals and assists to his name, so therefore offers more as an attacking option..

It's ludicrous to even consider Duff over Jonas.

It would be if you were dropping Jonas for Duff aye.

Fair enough then ;) I thought you were suggesting that but still Jonas is a winger, converting him to a defensive midfielder isn't the answer IMO, just because he can run a lot and and gets stuck in doesn't mean he'd be good in that role, in fact you're limiting him as a player if you take his ability to dribble with the ball and try and beat men because that's the best bit about his play.

Fair enough then ;) I thought you were suggesting that but still Jonas is a winger, converting him to a defensive midfielder isn't the answer IMO, just because he can run a lot and and gets stuck in doesn't mean he'd be good in that role, in fact you're limiting him as a player if you take his ability to dribble with the ball and try and beat men because that's the best bit about his play.

Its true yes but a lot would depend on how close the midfield played to him, last thing we want is him pinned back and therefore pinning the back four back.

This would give him the room to still carry the ball forward and also Allow OOwen to be the play maker where he did so well under KK.

-----------------------Harper

Bey---------Tayls-----------------Bass-----------Jose

-----------------------Jonas

------Guthrie-----------------------------Nolan

----------------------Owen

-----------Oba------------------------?

He looks unbelievably fatigued. Not saying that's an excuse mind, but he seems to have lost that spring in his step and appears to be very heavy legged.

Aye. Felt sorry for him at times today again as he seemed to be the only one doing any running/hassling and showing any heart at times - although Owen and Butt from the front six deserve credit for doing the same.

However, it must also be noted that he does a lot of simple stuff badly at times, which will hopefully improve with confidence. I just think he's showing the strain of literally being our only creative force. He gets no support from his central midfielders, Enrique is getting better at helping him out but still appears a frustrating team-mate to have (very lax at times, shows odd decision making as well) and he still gets kicked to fuck by most teams we play.

He's not as brilliant as was made out when we got him and he had that debut against Man United, but he's still about the best we can offer out wide and is still a good player. Can't fault his application/attitude either, which is something you couldn't really say about 75% of the rest of the squad.

Guest NorwegianMag

I really really like Jonas, both his attitude and working rate, but we desperatly need wingers that can cross into the box. He can't deliver good crosses unfortunatly.

Wasn't it his cross for Oba's chance first half?  Yet again he was pretty much our only creative outlet - and was double marked.  In a decent team he'd be twice the player.

Enrique's.

Thats an issuse too, his finishing is shocking, he had a golden chance, a cross from Duff, not a lot of power on the cross but Jonas didn't really attack the ball and it ended up a poor header. He has had a few shots at goal all of em piss poor power wise, thats why it wouldn't work playing him behind the front two you need a player that can smash the ball, Guthrie can strike the ball very well, maybe he could play the more attacking role with Jonas behind him.

Browsing through some Inter forums, they have even got their eyes open to Jonas, mind hes not good enough for us though  :idiot2:

Link?

I wanna see what they're saying.  :laugh:

Swedish forums where people are desperate for creative midfielders.

Saying stuff like:

"i know Newcastle is a struggling team but have anyone seen Gutierrez, a very creative and handy player"

"we should take a look at this Gutierrez guy over at Newcastle, quality player in a bad team"

"one of my favourite players in england, he should be playing in a better team"

etc etc

seems like alot of people in other clubs really rate him, and he is the only player getting praise by commentators and media really.

Thanks, I think quite a lot of Man Utd fans rate him as well.

Made a huge difference yesterday imo. Carroll has got a lot of the plaudits for his goal but we were looking a lot more potent when Jonas came on. Dunno what position he was playing he seemed to have a free role, and it worked well showed us that the best way to beat teams like Stoke is to play real footballers, not cloggers. Remember Al saying last week Jonas needed to play further up the pitch, if he meant by what Jonas did yesterday then i feel much better as he showed great industry with some cracking runs, a couple of balls in the box, some nice balls behind the defence to Butt and Owen. However i do think it was wise to give him a bit of a rest, he has played a lot this season with internationals, but more of the same please Jonas.