Jonas Gutierrez

Guest Coubury

Had no idea he was returning tonight, great news! Finally a winger in the squad :celb:

A winger that doesn't know when to cross is as bad as none at all.

His inability to cross is endlessly frustrating, but I really don't think it matters that much in this league. He opens up an entire side of the field and has the ability to get into enough dangerous positions that don't require great crosses. The PL is a different story.

I bet he scores by Christmas if he stays fit.

Personally i think the stick he gets is over the top. OK his crossing needs work but the workrate and tempo he adds to our squad is invaluable IMO.

I think it's a matter of time before he's tearing championship players apart, lets hope he finds a killer touch to go with it.

Personally i think the stick he gets is over the top. OK his crossing needs work but the workrate and tempo he adds to our squad is invaluable IMO.

I think it's a matter of time before he's tearing championship players apart, lets hope he finds a killer touch to go with it.

...and we have a winner. He is infuriating but right now we don't have anyone better. The only other option is to play with wing backs and just use central midfielders across the middle, and we don't want to be limited to just that.

We can hope.

There are certainly signs, and I'm hardly anti-Jonas.

But it's like with Titus Bramble. You KNOW it's there, but.....

Guest Roger Kint

I am sick of reading all the times a footballer suddenly develops the ability to kick a football after the age of 26............

I am sick of reading all the times a footballer suddenly develops the ability to kick a football after the age of 26............

Amen  :angel:

I think we've proven in the last four weeks that he isn't invaluable, but he's certainly a class above in this league and we're an even better team with him in it. Looking forward to seeing him back, although i wouldn't be against continuing this diamond we went with against Ipswich...

wingers don't necessarily have to cross, i see Jonas as the kind who brings the ball forward and plays a simple pass after advancing upfield. the wingers at arsenal, for instance, don't usually launch a high cross in from the throw-in line but try and play little 1-2s and intelligent passes to other attackers. I think Jonas in good spells with us has shown he has that ability, but for numerous reasons we havent been able to build up coherent flowing attacks in his time here. In this league, playing alongside players who are clearly better than the opposition, he'll look good and be pretty effective as he makes space for his team mates and gets the ball in the right areas. He did this to an extent in the premiership but as a crap side we were depending on him more to actually create and as is final ball is shit we ended up disappointed and he ended up with low confidence.

I think we've proven in the last four weeks that he isn't invaluable, but he's certainly a class above in this league and we're an even better team with him in it. Looking forward to seeing him back, although i wouldn't be against continuing this diamond we went with against Ipswich...

OK valuable would have been a better word.

Guest The Libertine

i'd be good if he got a decent run of games together in this league before he's judged (again). he might not be amazing in the premier league but we arent in that anymore. others have won back some support this season and its likely he will too.

OK valuable would have been a better word.

Haha, sorry - aye. I wasn't intentionally being pedantic or anything... was more just sorta praising the current squad. I'd have said before he got injured that he was absolutely vital to the side cos everything seemed to be going through him, and we played with a lot of width against West Brom and Reading. But it's a credit to the boss and the rest of the midfield to have continued getting good results without obvious width.

Guest icemanblue

i'd be good if he got a decent run of games together in this league before he's judged (again). he might not be amazing in the premier league but we arent in that anymore. others have won back some support this season and its likely he will too.

He never lost my support, the sexy bastard that he is.

I actually thought he was very poor in the (very) little I saw of him at the start of this season (just WBA other than highlights due to holiday) although it will certainly aid the team to add someone who can beat players, use pace and offers some natural width. If he can sort out a final product, brilliant. Nolan didn't have one last season and he's doing fine now, why not.

I actually thought he was very poor in the (very) little I saw of him at the start of this season (just WBA other than highlights due to holiday) although it will certainly aid the team to add someone who can beat players, use pace and offers some natural width. If he can sort out a final product, brilliant. Nolan didn't have one last season and he's doing fine now, why not.

I'd say being bothered will be his biggest challenge this season. Didnt really look arsed earlier on, maybe he was angling for a move. now he is stuck here and morale looks good he might be a bit more focused.

I don't think he'll ever be a big goalscorer, his striking of a football just isnt very good. Nolan on the other hand has a good shot and header on him and has demonstrated he can score regularly in the past. i think for him last season he wasn't fit and we werent creating a lot anyway. Now he is up against players even less fit than he is he's doing fine.

I'd say being bothered will be his biggest challenge this season. Didnt really look arsed earlier on, maybe he was angling for a move. now he is stuck here and morale looks good he might be a bit more focused.

I don't think he'll ever be a big goalscorer, his striking of a football just isnt very good. Nolan on the other hand has a good shot and header on him and has demonstrated he can score regularly in the past. i think for him last season he wasn't fit and we werent creating a lot anyway. Now he is up against players even less fit than he is he's doing fine.

yeah, i suppose argentina playing shite has to help, he'll want to play well to get in their team, but has been getting into the squad so it doesn't necessarily mean he'll have to jump ship.

the window is closed....now he knows is staying until january at least! He will hopefully be motivated by our position in the league, getting called up for Argentina and still he hopes to attract barca´s interest again or other champions league clubs, i guess!