Shepherd Legacy

macbeth

Guest elbee909

you had to be there to hear fans chanting for Gordon Lee, and if you weren't you pretty certainly wouldn't have heard it.

Still waiting for mick to confirm this. Wonder how long it will take

hum hum......

I was in the Leazes that day and can't remember anybody singing for Gordon Lee, Fact. 

I can't tell half the shit people are chanting, esp. when they're new chants.  Might just be me though, I think you can hear what you want to hear in half of these things.

you had to be there to hear fans chanting for Gordon Lee, and if you weren't you pretty certainly wouldn't have heard it.

hum hum......

I was in the Leazes that day and can't remember anybody singing for Gordon Lee, Fact. 

Facts are not facts until reformed by NE5

fuck me lads, are we seriously re-collecting songs that may or may not have been sung 30 years ago? and who may or may not have been there?

jesus wept.

It's ironic that an argument essentially over wanting to be seen as the longest, most loyal supporter, with the biggest nob , and therefore the voice of authority on all things NUFC, ends up in an argument that would make 5 year-olds in the playground embarrassed.

f*** me lads, are we seriously re-collecting songs that may or may not have been sung 30 years ago? and who may or may not have been there?

jesus wept.

It's ironic that an argument essentially over wanting to be seen as the longest, most loyal supporter, with the biggest nob , and therefore the voice of authority on all things NUFC, ends up in an argument that would make 5 year-olds in the playground embarrassed.

were you in the playground? How do you know the 5-year old was embarrassed if you weren't there? Keep your nose out of this, you just don't have the first-hand knowledge to even post on the same thread as some  :fight:

f*** me lads, are we seriously re-collecting songs that may or may not have been sung 30 years ago? and who may or may not have been there?

jesus wept.

were you in the playground? How do you know the 5-year old was embarrassed if you weren't there? Keep your nose out of this, you just don't have the first-hand knowledge to even post on the same thread as some  :fight:

I was in the playground, next to the tennis courts, and we were singing nursery rhymes.  You weren't even there.

It's too easy  mackems.gif

Former Newcastle United chairman Freddy Shepherd claims soon-to-be ex-Magpies owner Mike Ashley bought the club on the cheap, something that would never have been allowed to happen had he not been unwell at the time.

The Sportsworld chain and Lillywhites chief secured the St. James’ Park outfit for over £130 million in summer 2007 after purchasing the stakes of both Sir John Hall and Shepherd.

But speaking exclusively in the November issue of FourFourTwo magazine, out on Wednesday, the vibrant Geordie reveals that Ashley: “got the club for peanuts. Sir John sold it, not me. I was in hospital with pneumonia and the doctor wouldn’t let me get involved.”

“I said I’d only sell to a Geordie Abramovich.”

However, the Buckinghamshire-born businessman appears set to sell on the north-east giants after just 15 months at the helm, the result of vociferous fan unrest following the departures of managers Sam Allardyce and Kevin Keegan who were both given little time to stamp their authority on the club.

And Shepherd feels the decision to dispose of the former Bolton boss so soon was the wrong one.

Sam would have turned it around,” adds Shepherd. “He missed out on great players because there was a 10-day period when he couldn’t sign anyone because of the takeover. Glen Johnson, Sylvain Distin, Steve Sidwell, Tal Ben Haim, Roberto Carlos… all on Bosmans.

“He had five months, a ridiculous amount of time. Chairmen feel the heat – I found the fan pressure enormous – but there was no bullshit from Sam. He would have got the fans on side.”

I disagree.

But speaking exclusively in the November issue of FourFourTwo magazine, out on Wednesday, the vibrant Geordie reveals that Ashley: ?got the club for peanuts. Sir John sold it, not me. I was in hospital with pneumonia and the doctor wouldn?t let me get involved.??

:lol:

Never has a word been so over used than vibrant.

I laughed it was used to describe Hull.

Now it should be retired after being used to describe Shepherd.

But speaking exclusively in the November issue of FourFourTwo magazine, out on Wednesday, the vibrant Geordie reveals that Ashley: “got the club for peanuts. Sir John sold it, not me. I was in hospital with pneumonia and the doctor wouldn’t let me get involved.

:spit:

Does he seriously expect us to believe that?

hum hum......

http://www.toonarama.co.uk/seasons/1970s/1976-77/1976-77_diary_jan.html

mackems.gif

Guest elbee909

hum hum......

mackems.gif

Are you implying that if someone else, say, remembered something that you didn't remember, every argument you've ever made is moot?

I just want to know if that's basically where you're going with this.

hum hum......

mackems.gif

Are you implying that if someone else, say, remembered something that you didn't remember, every argument you've ever made is moot?

basically, he either wasn't there, or he's a liar.

Which makes me wonder what else he's made up, because I know, that I am telling the truth and not just on this occasion

Guest elbee909

hum hum......

mackems.gif

Which makes me wonder what else he's made up, because I know, that I am telling the truth and not just on this occasion

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence"

Of course, with your non-personal-agenda driven arguments, I'm sure you won't be attributing your differing accounts of that day to malice. 

Yeah, not bloody much...

hum hum......

mackems.gif

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence"

Of course, with your non-personal-agenda driven arguments, I'm sure you won't be attributing your differing accounts of that day to malice. 

Yeah, not bloody much...

not agenda driven. Just truth, like in the link.

Guest elbee909

hum hum......

mackems.gif

Yeah, not bloody much...

Do you have perfect recall about every single match you've attended?

hum hum......

mackems.gif

Yeah, not bloody much...

quite a lot, but in this case, there is the link to prove it. So, you are defending someone who I've proved to be either wrong or a liar ? In fact if you think about it, he's either a liar for saying nobody sang the song in question, or he's a liar for saying he was at the match when he wasn't or surely must have heard it ?

Why do you do it then ?

Guest elbee909

hum hum......

mackems.gif

Yeah, not bloody much...

quite a lot, but in this case, there is the link to prove it. So, you are defending someone who I've proved to be either wrong or a liar ? In fact if you think about it, he's either a liar for saying nobody sang the song in question, or he's a liar for saying he was at the match when he wasn't or surely must have heard it ?

Why do you do it then ?

I'm not really defending him at all.  What I dispute, and I guess what I think is interesting here, is what you think it means if someone doesn't have the same memory of an experience as you do.  You see it as some sort of conspiracy when I really think it's down to not experiencing what you did, on the day.  You refuse to accept the possibility that someone can have a different perspective on a singular event, it's simply your way = the truth. 

I mean, yes, it's ratified by a third party like the Toonarama website - you'll readily believe that particular third party as it suits your own ends, but you'll dismiss someone else who was there who has *no reason to lie* but might just not have heard what you heard.  Why does everything have to be so absolute?

I mean, think about it, why would anyone lie when it obviously weakens their case in an obvious way?  Mick, in this case, would have just been better off saying he'd heard that stuff as well.  If anything he's sticking his neck out by disagreeing with you when the easier route to have taken would be to say he'd heard it as well.  I'm not defending him here, he may just be wrong and I think that's a hell of a lot more likely than him lying. 

I'm impressed at your recall of matches though, I've plain forgotten loads about matches that I've seen relatively recently, e.g. the last ten years.  Or mixed up the details, at least, that's mostly the case. 

I've worked on a fair bit of video game audio dealing with football chants and I think it's interesting what words you can substitute and for it to still fit.  While I'm not disagreeing with your memory of that day here (it seems to me most likely that Mick's brain is falling to bits) I think it wouldn't be the end of the world to accept that there's no grand conspiracy here just because your respective memories of a single day 30 years ago differ so much.

Former Newcastle United chairman Freddy Shepherd claims soon-to-be ex-Magpies owner Mike Ashley bought the club on the cheap, something that would never have been allowed to happen had he not been unwell at the time.

The Sportsworld chain and Lillywhites chief secured the St. James’ Park outfit for over £130 million in summer 2007 after purchasing the stakes of both Sir John Hall and Shepherd.

But speaking exclusively in the November issue of FourFourTwo magazine, out on Wednesday, the vibrant Geordie reveals that Ashley: “got the club for peanuts. Sir John sold it, not me. I was in hospital with pneumonia and the doctor wouldn’t let me get involved.”

However, the Buckinghamshire-born businessman appears set to sell on the north-east giants after just 15 months at the helm, the result of vociferous fan unrest following the departures of managers Sam Allardyce and Kevin Keegan who were both given little time to stamp their authority on the club.

And Shepherd feels the decision to dispose of the former Bolton boss so soon was the wrong one.

Sam would have turned it around,” adds Shepherd. “He missed out on great players because there was a 10-day period when he couldn’t sign anyone because of the takeover. Glen Johnson, Sylvain Distin, Steve Sidwell, Tal Ben Haim, Roberto Carlos… all on Bosmans.

“He had five months, a ridiculous amount of time. Chairmen feel the heat – I found the fan pressure enormous – but there was no bullshit from Sam. He would have got the fans on side.”

I disagree.

Apart from the fact that Sidwell passed his Chelsea medical before Ashley even bought SJH's shares, Ben Haim turning us down for Chelsea, Glen Johnson wasn't out of contract, Sir John Hall saying all major shareholders had agreed on a fee before he met Ashley's people and him thinking Allardyce would have go the fans back on side, he makes some good points.

I disagree.

Apart from the fact that Sidwell passed his Chelsea medical before Ashley even bought SJH's shares, Ben Haim turning us down for Chelsea, Glen Johnson wasn't out of contract, Sir John Hall saying all major shareholders had agreed on a fee before he met Ashley's people and him thinking Allardyce would have go the fans back on side, he makes some good points.

Basically confirming that if he were still charge, we'd of been shopping in that market anyway.

hum hum......

mackems.gif

Yeah, not bloody much...

Why do you do it then ?

I'm not really defending him at all.  What I dispute, and I guess what I think is interesting here, is what you think it means if someone doesn't have the same memory of an experience as you do.  You see it as some sort of conspiracy when I really think it's down to not experiencing what you did, on the day.  You refuse to accept the possibility that someone can have a different perspective on a singular event, it's simply your way = the truth. 

I mean, yes, it's ratified by a third party like the Toonarama website - you'll readily believe that particular third party as it suits your own ends, but you'll dismiss someone else who was there who has *no reason to lie* but might just not have heard what you heard.  Why does everything have to be so absolute?

I mean, think about it, why would anyone lie when it obviously weakens their case in an obvious way?  Mick, in this case, would have just been better off saying he'd heard that stuff as well.  If anything he's sticking his neck out by disagreeing with you when the easier route to have taken would be to say he'd heard it as well.  I'm not defending him here, he may just be wrong and I think that's a hell of a lot more likely than him lying. 

I'm impressed at your recall of matches though, I've plain forgotten loads about matches that I've seen relatively recently, e.g. the last ten years.  Or mixed up the details, at least, that's mostly the case. 

I've worked on a fair bit of video game audio dealing with football chants and I think it's interesting what words you can substitute and for it to still fit.  While I'm not disagreeing with your memory of that day here (it seems to me most likely that Mick's brain is falling to bits) I think it wouldn't be the end of the world to accept that there's no grand conspiracy here just because your respective memories of a single day 30 years ago differ so much.

you can hardly say that I'm using the toonarama site for my own ends, its not as if Gordon Lee was here for years and they sang that song all the time. My point was quite simply that the fans were beginning to see what he was doing, they could hardly do anything else bearing in mind the league position [although some reverted back to the hype bandwagon later], and they sang that song. It was quite profound, in my opinion it was quite loud and unmistakable, and impossible for anyone not to hear it. So he lied, for what reason, I don't know. However, its amusing that he's been found to be lying, or not even able to admit that he's been mistaken. When someone tells me a blatant lie, it makes me wonder what other bullshit they are spouting.

I've also got loads of videos [edited onto other videos] of the toon over the years, it helps you to remember things, although not too much from the 70's and 60's.

you can hardly say that I'm using the toonarama site for my own ends, its not as if Gordon Lee was here for years and they sang that song all the time. My point was quite simply that the fans were beginning to see what he was doing, they could hardly do anything else bearing in mind the league position [although some reverted back to the hype bandwagon later], and they sang that song. It was quite profound, in my opinion it was quite loud and unmistakable, and impossible for anyone not to hear it. So he lied, for what reason, I don't know. However, its amusing that he's been found to be lying, or not even able to admit that he's been mistaken. When someone tells me a blatant lie, it makes me wonder what other bullshit they are spouting.

I've also got loads of videos [edited onto other videos] of the toon over the years, it helps you to remember things, although not too much from the 70's and 60's.

It's quite funny that the person I went to all of the games with can't remember it either.  :lol:

It's quite funny that the person I went to all of the games with can't remember it either.  :lol:

I think its funny that you seem well suited