Shepherd Legacy

macbeth

The crowd last night, and apathy and despair of the last 2 weeks, has been an experience the likes of which surrounded this club for years during most of the 1970's and 1980's.  This is what it was like, despite what one or two others say while they bellyache on about how bad the last 15 years have been and how "embarrassed" they have been..........they have in fact more or less tried to tell you and others that it was "no different".....

who said that ? They must be mad, who has been embarrassed, who has said they wished to go back to the 70s or 80s ?

This thread began to discuss Shepherd's good shape. You have twisted it, as ever to not be about Shepherd but to be about 20 or 30 years ago, or about Ashley. You would make a great politician.

"Mr Brown how do you justify the mess the country is in at the moment ?"

"Well if you don't support me you must want John Major back"

"Yes but Mr Brown we're talking about now, not 12 years ago, how do you explain that the country is so worse off now, afert all your time as either Chancellor or PM?"

"In 2003 we increased the pay for nurses, and built lots of new hospitals and nurseries. Compare this to how Mrs Thatcher took free milk from schoolkids in the 70s and then closed down manufacturing in the1980s. Is that what you want instead ?"

"But Mr Brown the banks are collapsing, the country is running out of money, what are you doing about it".

"Back in 1991 under the Conservatives inflation was at 10%, interest rates were over 14%, do you wish to return to that"

its too easy sometimes .......

PS..its actually called "Shepherds legacy", and to measure it, you have to gauge the time the Halls and Shepherd (ie the major shareholders), left the club put against how they found it when they came in.

If you hadn't disappeared from here for a while [surprise surprise] then you wouldn't have missed the amount of people saying how embarrassed they were.......but then again, as you're obsessed with the finance and not the football, its no surprise that you have missed them all.

it's too easy sometimes  :celb:

you're not enjoying the state the club is in are you ?

I haven't been happy about the state it is in since 2005, before that, like you now, I kidded myself it would be okay.

I tried to explain what was happening. I did try. That it has accelerated out of control is very sad.

I know you hate graphs and numbers but the following two show why I was so worried. I too could have sat and put my hands of my ears and sing "lalalalala" loudly, and remember the Feyenoord game. The financial mess of the club is purely down to the directors of the club. Similarly the mess of the last fortnight is down to the current directors. The current directors had to spend too much time trying to recover the club from the financial mess they inherited. This is no excuse for the last fortnight, but it won't have helped them much.

http://www.football-finances.org.uk/newcastle/2007/profit13.gif

http://www.football-finances.org.uk/newcastle/2007/payrol12.gif

it's too easy sometimes  :celb:

you're not enjoying the state the club is in are you ?

I haven't been happy about the state it is in since 2005, before that, like you now, I kidded myself it would be okay.

I tried to explain what was happening. I did try. That it has accelerated out of control is very sad.

I know you hate graphs and numbers but the following two show why I was so worried. I too could have sat and put my hands of my ears and sing "lalalalala" loudly, and remember the Feyenoord game. The financial mess of the club is purely down to the directors of the club. Similarly the mess of the last fortnight is down to the current directors. The current directors had to spend too much time trying to recover the club from the financial mess they inherited. This is no excuse for the last fortnight, but it won't have helped them much.

http://www.football-finances.org.uk/newcastle/2007/profit13.gif

http://www.football-finances.org.uk/newcastle/2007/payrol12.gif

How does the increase in payroll costs compare to the rest of the Premiership? How does it compare to rising costs of living?

If you hadn't disappeared from here for a while [surprise surprise] then you wouldn't have missed the amount of people saying how embarrassed they were.......but then again, as you're obsessed with the finance and not the football, its no surprise that you have missed them all.

Come on, you're the man who can hunt through hundreds of Mags to find a snippet you think proves something, you must be able to find one example of someone saying they were embarrassed.

I fully expect you to say "I can't be bothered, I know they said it, you look".

That was always the difference between us. I only ever used printed numbers from reports that Shepherd had signed off as my source of info, you used well-established gossip and hearsay.

How does the increase in payroll costs compare to the rest of the Premiership? How does it compare to rising costs of living?

dunno the Premiership comparison. It works out as over 11% per year for the last 4 years, or 15% a year since 2001.

Completely justifiable when the team is performing and the players are getting win bonuses as in 2003. Not sure how the 2006 and 2007 increases were justified.

Come on, you're the man who can hunt through hundreds of Mags to find a snippet you think proves something, you must be able to find one example of someone saying they were embarrassed.

I fully expect you to say "I can't be bothered, I know they said it, you look".

That was always the difference between us. I only ever used printed numbers from reports that Shepherd had signed off as my source of info, you used well-established gossip and hearsay.

well, you're right. I can't be arsed, plenty of people have said, and often.

Finding your articles was quite easy, I remembered when you used to do articles and found a few with hardly any problem at all.

I don't use gossip and hearsay for anything, I just use memory (just like I remembered you writing for the Mag) and the fact that I did actually support the club during all those years, the ones that people like mick think were the good old days.

In fact, for most of those years while I supported the club I was always critical of them when they deserved it, which was most of the time, just like since Ashley came in too.

I'm not really bothered if not too many people agree with me either, it makes me laugh when I see people repeating what others say on the premise they think they know what they are talking about, or jumping onto a bandwagon. The mock outrage over the "dogs" business was a typical example. I didn't give a shit about it, and I was living and working away and not one single person ie other supporters of other clubs, thought it was anything at all, in fact if anything one or two people only wondered why people were getting their knickers in a twist about it. That goes for the selling of shirts for 40 quid too, I mean, we all know they are a rip off. But still buy them ? Nobody forces anybody to buy the shirts, and every club sells them for 40 quid  bluelaugh.gif

I've actually posted this too, a while back. When the club went PLC and Shepherd took over as chairman, I was quite worried that the club wouldn't back their managers anymore, but as soon as I saw it happening, then I thought OK then, we'll continue to try and behave like a big club. Thats all I ask from anybody who runs the club, but as the major shareholders didn't change, it then became obvious that for that reason alone it was not really going to change too much.

I'm not really very pleased that you too have got what you wished for, heading downwards like Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday, and all because the club has stopped investing in players and backing their managers. We will see what the resultant failure on the pitch and supporter apathy does to the balance books.

When will these mad fools learn to wish for good things?  If only we invested in players in the way Leeds did, that would guarantee us safety.

Do you want to point out to him that we just broke our transfer record for a defender?

no big deal. Keegan did it twice the last time, and Bobby Robson did it too. Didn't stop the club from buying other players though, and they didn't make the manager sell to buy to do it.

What a load of stupid drivel. We sold several players in order to pay for Shearer. SBR spent a couple of seasons balancing the books before having much cash to splash, and was "backed" with less money than Shepherd's crapper appointments.

Facts, chum.

I'm not really very pleased that you too have got what you wished for, heading downwards like Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday, and all because the club has stopped investing in players and backing their managers. We will see what the resultant failure on the pitch and supporter apathy does to the balance books.

When will these mad fools learn to wish for good things?  If only we invested in players in the way Leeds did, that would guarantee us safety.

Do you want to point out to him that we just broke our transfer record for a defender?

no big deal. Keegan did it twice the last time, and Bobby Robson did it too. Didn't stop the club from buying other players though, and they didn't make the manager sell to buy to do it.

What a load of stupid drivel. We sold several players in order to pay for Shearer. SBR spent a couple of seasons balancing the books before having much cash to splash, and was "backed" with less money than Shepherd's crapper appointments.

Facts, chum.

Darren Peacock, theen other players. You're not saying Keegan didn't spend big money are you  mackems.gif But you have a selective memory anyway, you keep saying that a manager who had won titles with 2 different clubs and was a match for Alex Ferguson was a poor manager ..  bluelaugh.gif

Then Warren Barton, followed up with Ginola, Hislop and Ferdinand.

Hope you've been sending your usual emails to the cockney press dishing the dirt on the club you say you support lately, except that this time you have serious ammunition.

Guest elbee909

this is where you don't listen.........sorry to sound patronising again elbee..........but it HAS been said before. It doesn't guarantee anything - particularly as others are doing it - but it helps and you won't succeed if you don't.

Why not take your lead from the successful clubs that show you how its done, just accept that to have a chance you have to follow their role model ? The best time we've all had in the last 50 years was when we spent money to compete with them ? Whats the problem with you that you can't see this and accept it?

Oh, I do completely accept that one should always be aiming to outreach one's grasp.  I'm just saying stupid things to match the stupid shit you're spouting such as "you too have got what you wished for, heading downwards like Leeds".  No-one's wished for that.  Still, keep on keeping on.

The best times we've had in the last 50 years coincided with decent stints of stable, quality management.  Unless you're counting the 50million give to Souness as the best of times.  The last lot fucked up re. not letting a _decent_ manager do their thing, and so have this lot.  The money helps but the last lot didn't bankroll Bobby Robson for a fair old while and he still steadied the ship. 

You're having a go at people still, for committing the heinous crime of optimism after about four years of steady decline which you seem to have forgotten all about, conveniently.  Yet no-one here CHOSE who was going to buy NUFC.  You seem to think various people on here actually wanted this all to happen.

I'm not childishly going to say that anybody wanted the club to go downwards - just pointing out to those who have ignored facts in favour of personal agendas, and those without the balls to admit it, that they did in fact pretty much point out on a fairly regular basis that we would be better off if virtually anyone else ran the club. Considering that over the course of their time we qualified for europe more than everybody but 4 teams, it says everything about the absurdity of it all........and still they stick to their guns, or haven't even got the balls to give a mature and measured response.

The crowd last night, and apathy and despair of the last 2 weeks, has been an experience the likes of which surrounded this club for years during most of the 1970's and 1980's.  This is what it was like, despite what one or two others say while they bellyache on about how bad the last 15 years have been and how "embarrassed" they have been..........they have in fact more or less tried to tell you and others that it was "no different".....do YOU think last night and the last 2 weeks has been "no different" to the last 15 years ?

Oh dear.

The NE5 Guide To Winding Everyone Up

1. Attribute a vaguely ridiculous viewpoint or sentiment to lots of posters to show how obviously wrong most people are, thus making me seem more right ("they did in fact pretty much point out on a fairly regular basis we would be better off if virtually anyone else ran the club" - this sort of non-statement will do nicely)

2. Attribute irrelevant/meaningless viewpoint or a leading rhetorical question to person you're responding to. ("do YOU think last night and the last 2 weeks has been "no different" to the last 15 years?"  Yes, I'm on a roll!)

3. Try to end with something pithy, implying that we all know the answer already, and all paths lead to my rightness.  IDOLISE ME!

First of all apologies, I got whisked away to Glossop to work and haven't had a chance to look at the cash flow - will do tomorrow.

Secondly, I'm not going to quote the post above but you can't take the wages in isolation. They need to be compared to other clubs and the timing of new TV deals. Back in 1998 Shearer was out top earner on about £40k a week (based on media reports I grant you). Bear in mind we signed him as a WORLD record transfer fee. Barton and Smith earn more than him now, I'd guess that £40k is a pretty average premier league wage now.

Thirdly, someone asked about the frequency of wages. There is no set answer, it will be on a club by club basis. I know of a few clubs who pay youth players monthly and first teamers twice a year. Not that it makes much difference over a year.

Finally, I know I'm being a cheapskate, but if anyone has the 2005 accounts could you post the deferred income figure for me please - reason being the accounting period changed in 2006, if the deferred income was higher in 2005 it will prove the timing of season ticket receipts for me, I'm interested!.

Oh and Chez, I know I need a name change, just don't know what to. (Is there a Geordieboyo on here yet?)

Ta

First of all apologies, I got whisked away to Glossop to work and haven't had a chance to look at the cash flow - will do tomorrow.

Secondly, I'm not going to quote the post above but you can't take the wages in isolation. They need to be compared to other clubs and the timing of new TV deals. Back in 1998 Shearer was out top earner on about £40k a week (based on media reports I grant you). Bear in mind we signed him as a WORLD record transfer fee. Barton and Smith earn more than him now, I'd guess that £40k is a pretty average premier league wage now.

Thirdly, someone asked about the frequency of wages. There is no set answer, it will be on a club by club basis. I know of a few clubs who pay youth players monthly and first teamers twice a year. Not that it makes much difference over a year.

Finally, I know I'm being a cheapskate, but if anyone has the 2005 accounts could you post the deferred income figure for me please - reason being the accounting period changed in 2006, if the deferred income was higher in 2005 it will prove the timing of season ticket receipts for me, I'm interested!.

Oh and Chez, I know I need a name change, just don't know what to. (Is there a Geordieboyo on here yet?)

Ta

i think there is actually.

how about Fabricio Coloccini's 70's Haircut?  :colo:

Ta

Regarding season ticket sales, didn't Mort say that we had less than 10% of kids at a game against Liverpool?  I might look for the quote if it would help or make a difference to accuracy.

Ta

:lol:

Facts, chum.

Darren Peacock, theen other players. You're not saying Keegan didn't spend big money are you  mackems.gif But you have a selective memory anyway, you keep saying that a manager who had won titles with 2 different clubs and was a match for Alex Ferguson was a poor manager ..  bluelaugh.gif

Hope you've been sending your usual emails to the cockney press dishing the dirt on the club you say you support lately, except that this time you have serious ammunition.

Strange that you have a go at ozzie for dishing the dirt to the cockney press yet lick Frank Gilmour's arse.

Ta

:lol:

Colos Curlers - get on the case mods!

Facts, chum.

Strange that you have a go at ozzie for dishing the dirt to the cockney press yet lick Frank Gilmour's arse.

oh dear. Childish comment from Baggy alert.

I don't think I've ever seen or heard of Frank Gilmour sending voluntary emails to cockney journalists he's never met. Have you ?

If Ozzie is so bothered by events at the club, and he sent such tripe to cockney journalists, lets see him do it again or else its a proven case that the cretin is only doing it for personal agenda.

But I think we all know this is the case, its as obvious as a DOF system is crap and needs a yes man as a manager, and its as obvious as the early indications that Mike Ashley was never going to run Newcastle United competing with the other top clubs like it should.

So once again Matthew lad, you are talking complete bollocks, its just a shame that like mick you haven't got the balls to admit it.

Facts, chum.

I don't think I've ever seen or heard of Frank Gilmour sending voluntary emails to cockney journalists he's never met. Have you ?

If Ozzie is so bothered by events at the club, and he sent such tripe to cockney journalists, lets see him do it again or else its a proven case that the cretin is only doing it for personal agenda.

But I think we all know this is the case, its as obvious as a DOF system is crap and needs a yes man as a manager, and its as obvious as the early indications that Mike Ashley was never going to run Newcastle United competing with the other top clubs like it should.

So once again Matthew lad, you are talking complete bollocks, its just a shame that like mick you haven't got the balls to admit it.

NE5 trying to point score?! Well i never. :lol:

Any idea when Taylor is going to become England captain btw? Or Alan Smith show us why you thought he was the best replacement for Shearer?

Is that what you wished for?

Group Deferred income, not including capital grants, which were £3m a year on top

2002 28,552k

2003  £28,459k

2004 £30,310k

2005 £29.269k

2006 £24,554k current and 8543k non-current

2007 £19,544k current and 6006k non-current

I don't have soft copy, only the published accounts

Any idea when Taylor is going to become England captain btw? Or Alan Smith show us why you thought he was the best replacement for Shearer?

I think you have taken those comments out of context

Facts, chum.

haha, Matthew lad, I can admit that the Alan Smith that Alex Ferguson also rated has been a big disappointment. He had an injury, and hasn't been the same. This happens a lot. His purchase was also sanctioned by Chris Mort and Mike Ashley, who's arses you no doubt lick because they have implemented your treasured DOF system on the club which is going to relegate it.

Isn't this what YOU wished for ?

You're just like mick son. YOu know nowt, and never will.

I see Taylor is keeping Cacapa out of the central defensive position by the way, the same Cacapa who you insisted was a good signing......

Facts, chum.

Can't admit you got caught talking bullshit, so instead of engaging with the facts as presented, you start rolling around in some other, irrelevant bullshit.

No wonder you're the forum joke.

Facts, chum.

Can't admit you got caught talking bullshit, so instead of engaging with the facts as presented, you start rolling around in some other, irrelevant bullshit.

No wonder you're the forum joke.

if you say so Ozzie lad. Coming from you, its a bit rich though. Please tell us what you disagree with what you've clipped here, whats the betting you don't even know these players  mackems.gif

Have you dished the dirt on the club btw, as you don't reply ?