So who's going to buy the club?

Dave

Guest sicko2ndbest

times:

Talks over Newcastle’s sale continue, but those close to the bidding process suggest that the deterioration of the global financial economy means that a resolution is not imminent

I find it strange people talking about which methods of success they would prefer, I will go with any that gets us a trophy.

yes, well I suppose if beggars have to be choosers we'll just have to make do with that.

I find it strange people talking about which methods of success they would prefer, I will go with any that gets us a trophy.

To be fair i think its a pretty divisive topic - I would never say i wouldnt want to win a trophy by buying it but i can easily see how people (including me) would say they'd prefer to win it the "noble" way.

Football is about 2 things - the skill and ability of the team and the skill of the manager in getting that team and club to perform. Once you bring in mega billions how is the skill of the manager as important, you pretty much take away one vital facet of the game by reducing the skill involved for a manager who has 15 superstars at his disposal. I dont like that about the current game, theres obviously clubs such as Real who have unlimited funds - but would i be wrong in saying that there undefined wealth is historically induced?

I hate starting every season knowing that becasue we as a club dont have the wealth we will pretty much never get back into the top4 irrespective of how good our manager is that just seems pointless to me.

EDIT: I know this will come across as a stupid question for the 'success starved Geordies' with that 'winning is everything mentality' but would anyone sacrifice a guarateed Carling Cup or FA Cup win in the future to make the premiership more competitive again/be able to go back to 2004 and getting the appointment right?

success in the English game has always been a function of wealth.

Tell that to Brian Clough and Nottingham Forest, or Sir Bobby Robson and Ipswich.

Clough was a big spender, he broke the transfer record when he bought Trevor Francis for starters, and Bobby Robson never won the title or the European Cup. As usual, you don't make much of a point but you have said in the past that a manager who won the UEFA Cup is a good manager whereas another one who won 4 titles with 2 different clubs and 3 manager of the year awards isn't. So its hardly surprising.

Also for someone who backed Souness until the day he left........

:clap:

Tell that to Brian Clough and Nottingham Forest, or Sir Bobby Robson and Ipswich.

Clough was a big spender, he broke the transfer record when he bought Trevor Francis for starters, and Bobby Robson never won the title or the European Cup. As usual, you don't make much of a point but you have said in the past that a manager who won the UEFA Cup is a good manager whereas another one who won 4 titles with 2 different clubs and 3 manager of the year awards isn't. So its hardly surprising.

and you say a board that took us from 3rd to 13th. a good manager to a shit manager (times 3) profititability to massive debt is a good board

plus ca change!

Why are you wasting bandwidth with this inane drivel?

Guest sicko2ndbest

Shearer

' I can see Kinnear being here til the end of the season '

Dosnt look like he is involved with negotiations

Guest sicko2ndbest

Prompt sale hopes receeding

Oct 25 2008 by Luke Edwards, The Journal

DESPITE fresh speculation regarding Kuwait billionaire Nasser Al-Kharafi’s interest in buying Newcastle United, the prospect of a quick sale continues to recede for owner Mike Ashley.

The Journal revealed Al-Kharafi’s interest in the Magpies last month and although the world’s 48th richest man has refused to rule out taking control it is understood there is still some way to go for a deal.

An intermediary working on behalf of Al-Kharafi has claimed another round of talks will be held over the weekend, but there are worries the global economic downturn will scupper a deal. The Dubai-based consortium Zeebal Investments has already pulled out of a deal to buy Charlton Athletic. And sources close to Keith Harris – in charge of United’s sale – say several consortiums have had to back away from talks.

and you say a board that took us from 3rd to 13th. a good manager to a shit manager (times 3) profititability to massive debt is a good board

plus ca change!

by the same token Brian Clough took Forest backwards in his last season but he was still one of the greats ?

Your point - that you keep making - is cherry picking. Over the 15 years, we as a club were one of the biggest and best in the country, nobody is saying that there were going to be better people around, but  not too many. Their replacement number 1 has been a disaster. I rest my case.

Why are you wasting bandwidth with this inane drivel?

why are you wasting bandwidth and trying to tell people that the biggest clubs and most successful have done it without being the most ambitious spenders

Realistically, we need this sorting sooner rather than later, I imagine Kinear will stay till January.

I really hope not. We ideally need all of this sorting before January.

Just feel like every other club around us are all sorted with managers and take overs etc we need to sort this NOW. Why is it taking so long?

I think I will cry with happyness and relief when we get taken over and bring in a manager.

Please please pleaase

Just feel like every other club around us are all sorted with managers and take overs etc we need to sort this NOW. Why is it taking so long?

Global financial crisis, limited supply of multi-billionaires interested in throwing huge amounts of money at a club they have no connection with etc etc

Due Diligence is done

They are sitting down talking to people this week

NUFCTV JK interview

So the parties interested have all done due diligence, and now the club must decide which they want to sell to? Is that right?

Due Diligence is done

NUFCTV JK interview

Not sure what to feel if this goes through.  I just hope whoever has the stones to buy us has the stones to build the team and the club.

Due Diligence is done

NUFCTV JK interview

:celb:

Then again, JK isn't necessarily the most reliable source for information + I have the irrational yet undeniable feeling that Ashley might screw up negotiations.

:undecided: