So who's going to buy the club?

Dave

Is it just me who doesn't like the look if the Nigerian bid?:no:

Apparently their latest offer is £200m which Ashley won't accept. They say they won't go higher because that will leave them with no funds for transfers, development etc. Waste of time if that's true.

If that's right then it was obviously just a PR operation for NVA, because Ashley would never sell for that. Stress on the 'if' though.

I'm not convinced of any bid that needs to scrabble together enough funds to buy the club. Sounds like the Icelandic West Ham debacle.

:lol:

imagine how big their sofa is

They're going to pay Martins in Naira (he sends most of it home to his family anyway) and re-invest the savings in re-branding the club Newgeria United.

I don't particularly like the sound of consortiums that have been put together just to buy the club. It suggests that there won't be much in the way of funds to invest in the club, over and above what has been generated through income. I also worry whether divisions might appear between the various backers, at some stage. (Look at what's happened to Liverpool) I'd be happier with a leader who could impose a direction and, if necessary, take calculated risks. It seems to me that with these consortiums we'd be operating on a more strictly business model, and I've yet to see anything to get enthusiastic about. As Sir John Hall said, the corporate model doesn't really work for football.

These people also seem to be dangling the carrot to the fans of bringing Keegan back, but Keegan likes to have access to the man with the purse strings, and to persuade him to cough up funds. As we've seen, he doesn't like working within a corporate structure. That's if you think it's right to bring Keegan back anyway, which I don't.

Unless we're looking at some Abramovich-style sugardaddy, I can't see that they're going to offer us anything more than Ashley, and in fact, arguably less.

I don't particularly like the sound of consortiums that have been put together just to buy the club. It suggests that there won't be much in the way of funds to invest in the club, over and above what has been generated through income. I also worry whether divisions might appear between the various backers, at some stage. (Look at what's happened to Liverpool) I'd be happier with a leader who could impose a direction and, if necessary, take calculated risks. It seems to me that with these consortiums we'd be operating on a more strictly business model, and I've yet to see anything to get enthusiastic about. As Sir John Hall said, the corporate model doesn't really work for football.

These people also seem to be dangling the carrot to the fans of bringing Keegan back, but Keegan likes to have access to the man with the purse strings, and to persuade him to cough up funds. As we've seen, he doesn't like working within a corporate structure. That's if you think it's right to bring Keegan back anyway, which I don't.

Unless we're looking at some Abramovich-style sugardaddy, I can't see that they're going to offer us anything more than Ashley, and in fact, arguably less.

Absolutely spot on. If the "cockney mafia" was clueless about the "area" and the Geordie nation, then what on earth will a consortium from Nigeria know about it?

Bringing back Keegan (under a consortium regime) will be a massive massive mistake that could spell the end for the club in the not so far future. Having said that, I will say it again, IMO Keegan is finished with football, and in particular, NUFC.

What about the SAFC model with a front man backed by a group with enough money between them?

Seems to be working.

Apparently their latest offer is £200m which Ashley won't accept. They say they won't go higher because that will leave them with no funds for transfers, development etc. Waste of time if that's true.

I can't fault them for trying to lowball someone who wants out. 

Absolutely spot on. If the "cockney mafia" was clueless about the "area" and the Geordie nation, then what on earth will a consortium from Nigeria know about it?

Depends if they bring in someone to do the job day-to-day - like a Mort or a Quinn - as has been said a few times I think it was the perceived absentee landlord approach that people objected to rather than where the mafia were from as such.

I can't fault them for trying to lowball someone who wants out. 

Yeah, that letter was genius from Ashley.

just from the tribalshite website  but copied from Guardian

Nigerians yet to table offer to Newcastle lawyers

30.09.08 | tribalfootball.com

The Nigerian consortium seeking to takeover Newcastle United is still to lodge their bid, it has been revealed.

The Guardian says the identity of Newcastle United's prospective purchaser will not be unveiled publicly until the deal is as good as done. As one source close to the situation said: "Money talks but wealth is silent."

However, the Nigerian consortium said to be mounting a bid is taking anonymity too far. Despite PR talk of an offer going in, no contact has been made with Newcastle's lawyers about the lodging of a £200m bond. Although there are a number of interested parties the Nigerian group, if one exists, can be discounted as a runner.

The Nigerian consortium seeking to takeover Newcastle United is still to lodge their bid, it has been revealed.

The Guardian says the identity of Newcastle United's prospective purchaser will not be unveiled publicly until the deal is as good as done. As one source close to the situation said: "Money talks but wealth is silent."

However, the Nigerian consortium said to be mounting a bid is taking anonymity too far. Despite PR talk of an offer going in, no contact has been made with Newcastle's lawyers about the lodging of a £200m bond. Although there are a number of interested parties the Nigerian group, if one exists, can be discounted as a runner.

Well at least they've had their week's free publicity.

Well at least they've had their week's free publicity.

they haven't really as no-one knew who they were in the first place.

What about the SAFC model with a front man backed by a group with enough money between them?

Seems to be working.

That's a good point, but I'd add 'so far' on to 'seems to be working'.

They bought the club cheap, made good choices with their Manager and Chief Exec, and invested well to bring about promotion and then keep the club there. The task of pushing on from where they're at is a different one altogether though.

Its not a £200 million bid, that's the bond they were supposed to have lodged with a lawyer to show they were serious about buying the club.  A kind of "here's the colour of our money" kind of thing.  Not that I know anything about it personally just saying that's what the papers have said.

Hope this isn't true:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/everton/3107667/Everton-in-takeover-talks-with-Anil-Ambani-Football.html

According to reports in the Mirror, Everton chairman Bill Kenwright is in the process of luring Ambani, the sixth richest man in the world with a reputed fortune of £20 billion, to buying the Goodison Park club.

Ambani has already been linked with a move for Newcastle and Liverpool, but the possibility of a takeover in the blue half of Merseyside is more likely especially as Kenwright is known to be keen to step down from his current position.

Speaking recently Kenwright said: "I do not want to be here next year.

"I do not want to be standing in front of you saying, 'It's been another tough season' and 'I don't know where the money is'. I would sell tomorrow."

Kenwright, a life-long Everton fan, is known to be keen to secure investment for the club so the team can compete with the so-called 'Big Four', which will require either extra funds beyond his means, or a cash injection to redevelop Goodison Park or move to new stadium.

The takeover would doubtless please David Moyes as he seeks to close the gap on the top four clubs, and challenge for a place in the Champions League.

Ambani, who is the chairman of the Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group, was voted Businessman of the Year in 2006 by Times Of India.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Bill Kenwright doesn't own the club.  He can sell Ambani his 33% stake but that wouldn't be enough to trigger a takeover.

Its not a £200 million bid, that's the bond they were supposed to have lodged with a lawyer to show they were serious about buying the club.  A kind of "here's the colour of our money" kind of thing.  Not that I know anything about it personally just saying that's what the papers have said.

Always got to bring colour into it haven't you.

Always got to bring colour into it haven't you.

Just can't help myself :lol:

I'm yet to be convinced about Ambiani and all these stories. With his kind of money, he could walk into just about any Premiership club - including Liverpool or Arsenal - and pick them up without making much of a dent in his wallet. Why all this drawn-out, fiddling around with a club like Everton?