So who's going to buy the club?

Dave

Hopefully, i just worry that who ever comes in will have to spunk money in January to maybe kep us in the lague if things are going really bad.  Money that would not be there the following summer transfer window.

Would be worth it if we stay up

Oh aye, dont get me wrong could just scupper planning and transfers in the summer but i suppose who ever comes in will know what the situation is come christmas.

Hope this isn't true:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/everton/3107667/Everton-in-takeover-talks-with-Anil-Ambani-Football.html

According to reports in the Mirror, Everton chairman Bill Kenwright is in the process of luring Ambani, the sixth richest man in the world with a reputed fortune of £20 billion, to buying the Goodison Park club.

Ambani has already been linked with a move for Newcastle and Liverpool, but the possibility of a takeover in the blue half of Merseyside is more likely especially as Kenwright is known to be keen to step down from his current position.

Speaking recently Kenwright said: "I do not want to be here next year.

"I do not want to be standing in front of you saying, 'It's been another tough season' and 'I don't know where the money is'. I would sell tomorrow."

Kenwright, a life-long Everton fan, is known to be keen to secure investment for the club so the team can compete with the so-called 'Big Four', which will require either extra funds beyond his means, or a cash injection to redevelop Goodison Park or move to new stadium.

The takeover would doubtless please David Moyes as he seeks to close the gap on the top four clubs, and challenge for a place in the Champions League.

Ambani, who is the chairman of the Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group, was voted Businessman of the Year in 2006 by Times Of India.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Bill Kenwright doesn't own the club.  He can sell Ambani his 33% stake but that wouldn't be enough to trigger a takeover.

Kenwright has the largest shareholding and the other main shareholders are all Kenwright sycophants and will sell whenever he does. I'd bet the house on that.

The club have denied this mornings story about Ambani anyway.

No takeover will happen until the Kirkby stadium shambles is decided one way or another.

Hope this isn't true:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/everton/3107667/Everton-in-takeover-talks-with-Anil-Ambani-Football.html

According to reports in the Mirror, Everton chairman Bill Kenwright is in the process of luring Ambani, the sixth richest man in the world with a reputed fortune of £20 billion, to buying the Goodison Park club.

Ambani has already been linked with a move for Newcastle and Liverpool, but the possibility of a takeover in the blue half of Merseyside is more likely especially as Kenwright is known to be keen to step down from his current position.

Speaking recently Kenwright said: "I do not want to be here next year.

"I do not want to be standing in front of you saying, 'It's been another tough season' and 'I don't know where the money is'. I would sell tomorrow."

Kenwright, a life-long Everton fan, is known to be keen to secure investment for the club so the team can compete with the so-called 'Big Four', which will require either extra funds beyond his means, or a cash injection to redevelop Goodison Park or move to new stadium.

The takeover would doubtless please David Moyes as he seeks to close the gap on the top four clubs, and challenge for a place in the Champions League.

Ambani, who is the chairman of the Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group, was voted Businessman of the Year in 2006 by Times Of India.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Bill Kenwright doesn't own the club.  He can sell Ambani his 33% stake but that wouldn't be enough to trigger a takeover.

Kenwright has the largest shareholding and the other main shareholders are all Kenwright sycophants and will sell whenever he does. I'd bet the house on that.

The club have denied this mornings story about Ambani anyway.

No takeover will happen until the Kirkby stadium shambles is decided one way or another.

Why do I get the feeling Ambani will forget about football and  end up buying Harrods instead?

When people talk about incredibly rich people - like Ambani - potentially buying football clubs, there seems to be a tendency that they're automatically going to splurge a lot of cash on the club, do an Abramhovic, if you like.

These people aren't interested in it purely as they've no other way to spend their cash.They're interested in clubs because they are high profile businesses with the extra cachet of being rather flash businesses to own.

People just assume that whichever billiionaire has 7 or 8 billion, so that means he can easily afford, say, a billion on (whichever) club so that means that he will spend that kind of money.

It is like football suddenly became some kind of Top Trumps.

When people talk about incredibly rich people - like Ambani - potentially buying football clubs, there seems to be a tendency that they're automatically going to splurge a lot of cash on the club, do an Abramhovic, if you like.

These people aren't interested in it purely as they've no other way to spend their cash.They're interested in clubs because they are high profile businesses with the extra cachet of being rather flash businesses to own.

People just assume that whichever billiionaire has 7 or 8 billion, so that means he can easily afford, say, a billion on (whichever) club so that means that he will spend that kind of money.

If Ambani or anyone else bought us I wouldn't care about him being a new Abramovich

I just want someone that won't be a total disaster in the day to day running of a business. That in itself would stop us losing money every year despite the low wage bill and TV money going through the roof. Which in turn would generate half decent funds for each window instead of the pathetic net spend we have over the past 5 years.

If Ambani or anyone else bought us I wouldn't care about him being a new Abramovich

I just want someone that won't be a total disaster in the day to day running of a business. That in itself would stop us losing money every year despite the low wage bill and TV money going through the roof. Which in turn would generate half decent funds for each window instead of the pathetic net spend we have over the past 5 years.

and yet you are still a very good side imo, which is a real credit to moyes.

Yep, Moyes has done great considering the finances.

Kenwright would have been ran out of town a long time ago like Peter Johnson was if it wasn't for Moyes papering over the cracks.

Yep, Moyes has done great considering the finances.

Kenwright would have been ran out of town a long time ago like Peter Johnson was if it wasn't for Moyes papering over the cracks.

must be a lovely problem to have, a manager who excels (which i feel he does), despite the restrictions of your chairman.

in the past, we have had a probelmatic chairman PLUS a shite manager, doesnt do too well that one!

would have liked to see moyes get a go here, although i doubt the mutants would have given him any time, i believe he had a couple of poor seasons at your place, and he would have been out here, so it is a credit to kenwright that he has stuck by his man tbf.

If the likes of Ambani actually bought a club I'm sure he would spend big on it.  Especially if he was buying it to raise his profile, after all if you buy a business to raise your profile you're going to want that business to be as high profile as possible, in other words at the top of the league and in Europe.  As well as the fact that he's got idiotic amounts of money (£20 billion or something).  Not convinced he will buy anyone though.

must be a lovely problem to have, a manager who excels (which i feel he does), despite the restrictions of your chairman.

in the past, we have had a probelmatic chairman PLUS a shite manager, doesnt do too well that one!

would have liked to see moyes get a go here, although i doubt the mutants would have given him any time, i believe he had a couple of poor seasons at your place, and he would have been out here, so it is a credit to kenwright that he has stuck by his man tbf.

interesting way to put it, seeing as we just had a manager who was excelling despite the restrictions placed on him

pity he fucked off really

The Magpies have sent forms out to seven different parties interested in buying the club off owner Mike Ashley, but talks will not commence until the club are satisfied the suitors have sufficient funds in place. (Various)

Guest johnson293

There was a guy phoned Century last night - claimed he had been talking to someone pretty well connected with the club (who he asked the questions below), and a well known local former athlete who is a big Newcastle fan (who asked similar questions), of course he didn't name either.

Anyway, the following is a brief recap of what he claims he asked and was told...

Q - Is there time for Ashley to change his mind, ride this out, and hope the results turn again?

A - No. Ashley has no heart for the club anymore, and any attachment he had has gone since what happened with the protests, and he wouldn't stay on now.

Q - Will Ashley take the first offer he gets that meets his valuation?

A - No. Part of any deal to sell will be to check that the buyer has enough funds in place not to simply buy the club, but also to run it properly, and fund transfers, etc. Similar checks/agreements were put ion place when Abramovich bought Chelsea, and 'the Americans bought anoither well known club'.

Q - Are the Nigerians the front runners in the bidding, and is it a serious bid?

A - No - The feeling is that despite what Nathanial says, it won't be the Nigerians who end up buying the club.

Anyway, probably take with a pinch of salt, and it could all be made up... but I suppose we'll see as/when the club is sold.

There was a guy phoned Century last night - claimed he had been talking to someone pretty well connected with the club (who he asked the questions below), and a well known local former athlete who is a big Newcastle fan (who asked similar questions), of course he didn't name either.

Anyway, the following is a brief recap of what he claims he asked and was told...

Q - Is there time for Ashley to change his mind, ride this out, and hope the results turn again?

A - No. Ashley has no heart for the club anymore, and any attachment he had has gone since what happened with the protests, and he wouldn't stay on now.

Q - Will Ashley take the first offer he gets that meets his valuation?

A - No. Part of any deal to sell will be to check that the buyer has enough funds in place not to simply buy the club, but also to run it properly, and fund transfers, etc. Similar checks/agreements were put ion place when Abramovich bought Chelsea, and 'the Americans bought anoither well known club'.

Q - Are the Nigerians the front runners in the bidding, and is it a serious bid?

A - No - The feeling is that despite what Nathanial says, it won't be the Nigerians who end up buying the club.

Anyway, probably take with a pinch of salt, and it could all be made up... but I suppose we'll see as/when the club is sold.

Listened to the call myself and the legends took the piss and imho rightly so as most of the info he gave was practically common knowledge and we learnt nothing new from the ITK.

Where is the money going then? Directors lining their own pockets? Not enough corporate revenue to add to matchday revenue?

Guest johnson293

South Africans to offer Keegan a stake in the club?

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/10/01/keegan-to-be-offered-newcastle-united-stake-72703-21938909/

KEVIN Keegan will be offered a stake in Newcastle United worth millions if he returns as manager, the Chronicle understands.

A consortium of British-based South Africans are lining up a bid for the club, which is thought to be in line with Mike Ashley’s revised £280-300m asking price.

It was revealed yesterday that Ashley is willing to accept a reduced amount and a Nigerian group, headed by entertainment mogul Chris Nathaniel, claim to have already lodged a £200m offer on Friday.

The rival South African consortium are keeping their identities under wraps until they have studied the club’s books and reached an agreement with the retail billionaire, but some sources claim they have tabled a £280m bid.

Keegan is thought to be central to their plans for the Magpies and the five-strong group of tycoons are prepared to offer him between 5-10% of the club’s shares if he agrees to come back.

Speculation has been growing about who is involved in the consortium, which has called itself the New Newcastle United.

Businessman Brian Joffe, 61, is rumoured to be part of the group.

He founded investment holding firm Bidvest and is chief executive of South African football team Bidvest Wit.

He has a reputation for buying failing companies and turning their fortunes around, which tallies with the way the consortium interested in United are said to have amassed their wealth.

The father-of-two, who was born in Johannesburg, was not in his office when the Chronicle tried to contact him.

Bidvest’s financial controller David Cleasby said: “I can’t talk for Mr Joffe and that is all I can say.”

The South African consortium are reportedly set to handover a £150m down-payment for United, before settling the balance over the following 12 months.

They are understood to have contacted Keegan on Friday and believe they can coax Alan Shearer into taking up a role.

In a bid to tie Keegan to the club beyond the short term, it is thought they are prepared to offer him a stake.

Based on the reduced asking price for the Magpies, that would place the value of the shares offered to him at more than £10m.

Since news broke about the consortium’s interest in the club, speculation has been rife in the South African media as to who the key players are.

One man strongly linked to the deal is billionaire Johann Rupert. He is the man behind Swiss-based luxury goods firm Richemont, which owns brands including Cartier and Dunhill.

The 58-year-old is said to be worth £3.8 billion and has already ploughed around £8m into English rugby team Saracens. Mr Rupert was linked with a takeover of Blackburn Rovers last year, but moved quickly to deny the rumours.

When contacted by the Chronicle, a spokesman said neither Richemont nor Mr Rupert were interested in buying Newcastle United.

Similar rumours surround multi-millionaire Vivian Imerman, a fellow South African.

Mr Imerman, 53, was an owner of Del Monte before buying into Scottish whisky firm Whyte and Mackay, which he sold for £595m last year.

He runs investment firm Vasari Global Ltd in London with fellow South African Gerald Katzeff, 61.

Mr Imerman is married to Lisa Tchenguiz, 43, sister of Robert Tchenguiz, who was a co-owner of Whyte and Mackay with him.

Mr Imerman also denied being involved in a takeover of Newcastle United when contacted by the Chronicle.

Despite the denials, city sources continue to link the businessmen with the South African consortium looking to buy the club