So who's going to buy the club?

Dave

As much as I appreciate that Joe Kinnear is the only one telling us anything from the club these days, you have to wonder why Ashley would be telling him things like this. According to Keegan he very rarely spoke to Ashley, now that he is packing up and leaving, why would he suddenly be having day to day contact with the manager.

Also, either Kinnear has a terrible memory for facts and figures, or he is desperate to keep himself in the news in the hope of getting another job after this, so he tells anyone who will listen what he thinks they want to hear.

As much as I appreciate that Joe Kinnear is the only one telling us anything from the club these days, you have to wonder why Ashley would be telling him things like this. According to Keegan he very rarely spoke to Ashley, now that he is packing up and leaving, why would he suddenly be having day to day contact with the manager.

Also, either Kinnear has a terrible memory for facts and figures, or he is desperate to keep himself in the news in the hope of getting another job after this, so he tells anyone who will listen what he thinks they want to hear.

Why is that an either or?  Also have you considered that Kinnear is in contact with Ashley more then Keegan was because Ashley is now actually actively involved with NUFC on a day to day basis.  You know now that something he considers worthy of his time is going on..

Kevin Keegan, Frank Rijkaard and Paul Ince have all turned down the chance to manage Newcastle United after being approached by the Nigerian consortium considering a bid for the club.

The consortium has not tabled lodged a formal offer with investment bankers Seymour Pierce, having decided to find a manager to act as a figurehead for their bid.

The consortium insist their interest is serious though concede that if they are unable to attract the interest of a credible manager to front the bid their chances of success are limited.

The return of Keegan, whose resignation last month plunged Newcastle into turmoil, would be hugely popular with the club’s fans. And should any consortium succeed in getting Keegan 'on board', its bid would rapidly gain momentum.

The man appointed by Newcastle owner Mike Ashley to handle the sale of the club has admitted the global financial crisis makes his job all the more difficult.

Keith Harris, the former Football League chairman, is optimistic he can still find a suitable buyer. However, with mayhem in the markets, Harris knows the current unpredictability is a major concern.

“You can’t avoid being affected by the financial markets one way or another,” said Harris, who denied bidders had been set a deadline of Monday night.

“We didn’t set an official deadline. But one thing I did read from the transcript from the BBC show last weekend was that the anticipated end to this was early in November and I don’t demure from that.

“What happens between now and then is as unpredictable as what the stock market is going to do. I’m still hoping that we are going to get decent offers.”

Harris added: “There was never a ‘you-must-get-your-bids-in-by’ (date) because that’s not the way you do these things.

“What we said is that we had sent the teaser documents out. We have had a good initial response in terms of supplemental questions. We are now in the process of answering those questions.

“We’re doing that here and getting back to people and obviously we are encouraged we’ve had those questions because if people aren’t interested they don’t bother asking questions.”

Earlier, Newcastle interim manager Joe Kinnear revealed Ashley had disclosed half-a-dozen bidders were in the running and bids had to be submitted by Oct 17.

That date may be a good omen for Ashley, the Sports Direct founder, according to Harris, who said: “Don’t forget that 17 is a lucky number for Mike. Think of the Newcastle shirt he used to wear.”

But former Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd echoed Harris’ concerns about the possible impact of global forces.

“The last I heard from someone in the City, the club has had 100 applications, but 99 of them have been barking mad,” Shepherd said.

“Getting the right person in at the moment is going to be difficult. There’s a credit crunch which will be impacting on potential buyers as much as anyone. It doesn’t matter who they are. The global markets are in turmoil.

“No one’s going to give Mike Ashley a huge profit for the club now; you don’t have to be a rocket scientist to work that one out. Whoever’s going to buy it will know they are going to have to buy players in January.

“If Ashley doesn’t sell the club by January he’s going to have to strengthen the team. That’s why he will be aiming to sell the club before the transfer window opens.”

A high-profile proposed takeover by a South African consortium is now clearly faltering.

Jonathan Cleland, the group’s public face, said: “The challenge now is coming up with the money after some of our preferred backers indicated they were no longer interested.”

The uncertainty means Kinnear could remain in charge deep into the current season, especially after impressing Ashley with his efforts in the 2-2 draw at Everton last weekend.

“Mike was on the phone not long after the final whistle went, saying he had been watching the game with his kids at home,” Kinnear said.

“He nearly jumped out of the window when Leighton Baines appeared from nowhere to kick that shot from Charles N’Zogbia off the goal-line because he thought it was going to be the winning goal. But he seemed happy enough at our performance and the eventual result.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/newcastle/3153057/Kevin-Keegan-rejects-Newcastle-United-return-under-Nigerian-consortium-Football.html

I've got to say I'm getting a little worried now, those noises from Harris suggest there may not be any substance in the 6 or 7 or however many consortiums bids. I think Shepherd made a good point when he mentioned the need for Ashley to sell  prior to the January window. One thing we pretty much all agree on here is the need to strengthen the squad, money will need to be spent in January, especially if we are still looking at a relegation fight, Ashley won't want to do that so it's vital for the club that it's sold well before the window opens.

I've got to say I'm getting a little worried now, those noises from Harris suggest there may not be any substance in the 6 or 7 or however many consortiums bids. I think Shepherd made a good point when he mentioned the need for Ashley to sell  prior to the January window. One thing we pretty much all agree on here is the need to strengthen the squad, money will need to be spent in January, especially if we are still looking at a relegation fight, Ashley won't want to do that so it's vital for the club that it's sold well before the window opens.

was going to mention that earlier.......

but I expect I'd get flak so left it for someone else  :coolsmiley:

Its something Ashley appears to have shown a reluctance to do so far.

I fail to see how turning down the offer to be the figurehead of a consortium means they've turned down Newcastle United  :rolleyes:

I haven't found any quotes saying that anyone's turned down anything yet.  The telegraph just seemed to say they had but didn't back it with anything. 

Can you link me or enlighten me?

He could just get a few players in on loan tbh.

It will depend whats in the clubs account, if there's no money in there then I can't see us buying anyone as he's said he won't be putting anymore of his own money in.

Wonder if he'd sell Owen if someone offered about £3m in January for him?  ???

Doubtful, the club is more attractive with him here even if he does have 6 months left on his contract, if anyone takes over between then and the Summer the contract extension is their problem.

Stop it!

Don't even start getting me thinking about another transfer window passing us by as we are taken over.

It'll be difficult to get any good player to sign up in January if the owner, and therefore the manager, is going to change in the near future.

Wow a post from you without a jibe at Keegan !!

But anyway you are spot on, therefore as I said earlier it's absolutely vital for Ashley to sell up well before Jan 1st.

I fail to see how turning down the offer to be the figurehead of a consortium means they've turned down Newcastle United  :rolleyes:

I haven't found any quotes saying that anyone's turned down anything yet.  The telegraph just seemed to say they had but didn't back it with anything. 

Can you link me or enlighten me?

I was only questioning the Telegraphs reasoning, no idea if any of those have actually turned down any consortium or not.

I'd still prefer Ashley to stay, throw tonnes of money at Mort to come back full time, and try market for a world class manager.

The only thing Ashley likes to throw tons of money at is stock share gambling.

I'd still prefer Ashley to stay, throw tonnes of money at Mort to come back full time, and try market for a world class manager.

he threw lots of money at karrimor,lillywhites,kangol etc.

Did he?, to what extent and on what?  Cheap stock to sell on at a profit?

No I'm saying that it means fuck all and frankly I can't believe anyones naive enough to still think about it in that way given the current situation.  There's a big difference between buying a club and paying off debts and actually risking some money on making that club successful.

He's spent money on a solid asset and then paid off debts (that he was forced to pay BTW) that have linearly increased the price of that asset.  The fact is he's not willing to actually risk a penny on the club.  On the other hand he'll risk £300 million on a very dodgy share bet.

Did he?, to what extent and on what?  Cheap stock to sell on at a profit?

to buy them outright and they are still part of sports direct group.