Newcastle United Supporters Club

peasepud
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest LucaAltieri

I'm 50+ and have supported Newcastle all my life through thick but mainly thin and along with many others I think Ashley's method was the best chance we have had to finally become a serious football club.

It's all about opinions but I don't think age has a lot to do with it.

We all thought that Ashley would get the club moving in the right direction. However, you have to remember the he lied to the fans ulimtately (and in print) Is this the kind of man you want to run your club?

Yes. Professional people lie. That's how business is done. It works.

I'm 50+ and have supported Newcastle all my life through thick but mainly thin and along with many others I think Ashley's method was the best chance we have had to finally become a serious football club.

We all thought that Ashley would get the club moving in the right direction. However, you have to remember the he lied to the fans ulimtately (and in print) Is this the kind of man you want to run your club?

To be fair, Keegan also lied in print and on camera.

To be fair, Keegan also lied in print and on camera.

You'll go to hell for comments like that  :blob8:

Guest Howaythetoon

Ashley's approach was something new and I fear that we've wasted a good opportunity.

The biggest wasted opportunity was appointing this very good manager who had the unanimous support of the fans and players and not supporting him fully, preferring instead to put the entire running of the club outside of selecting and coaching the players in the hands of inexperienced, agenda driven, detached from the football team part-time employees who together operated a flawed system that has failed the requirements of the football team they were employed to serve. That is where the wasted opportunity rests, big time.

We looked to be getting the infrastructure of the club right, with a long-term plan and a professional approach.

And then he sacked him.

I am of course talking about Sam Allardyce which your comments could well describe for a short while under Big Sam until the poor results. I mention Big Sam because structures and plans are not as important as the manager who is and always will be or should be the driving force behind any club and not this multi-layered management structure (or new age set-up brought in by Big Sam when he was appointed), as we are painfully finding out now.

Thus far this "professional approach" is responsible for the following:

The ST fiasco

The manager resigning

The lack of extra quality in the side

The lack of depth to the squad

The overwhelming media storm following the club

The unrest of fans

The drop in attendances

This approach you talk of will also add the likely event of one Michael Owen leaving before his contract is up at a huge financial loss to the club and another few years of transition under new owners to their list of mistakes, failures and downright mismanagement.

But hey, at least that debt is now gone though eh...

Ashley's approach was something new and I fear that we've wasted a good opportunity.

The biggest wasted opportunity was appointing this very good manager who had the unanimous support of the fans and players and not supporting him fully, preferring instead to put the entire running of the club outside of selecting and coaching the players in the hands of inexperienced, agenda driven, detached from the football team part-time employees who together operated a flawed system that has failed the requirements of the football team they were employed to serve. That is where the wasted opportunity rests, big time.

We looked to be getting the infrastructure of the club right, with a long-term plan and a professional approach.

And then he sacked him.

I am of course talking about Sam Allardyce which your comments could well describe for a short while under Big Sam until the poor results. I mention Big Sam because structures and plans are not as important as the manager who is and always will be or should be the driving force behind any club and not this multi-layered management structure (or new age set-up brought in by Big Sam when he was appointed), as we are painfully finding out now.

The ST fiasco

The manager resigning

The unrest of fans

The drop in attendances

This approach you talk of will also add the likely event of one Michael Owen leaving before his contract is up at a huge financial loss to the club and another few years of transition under new owners to their list of mistakes, failures and downright mismanagement.

Very good.

Respect due to those who have seen through Ashley in the end and admitted it. Those who continue to defend the amateur way the club has been run, which has resulted in the most potentially catastrophic situation since 1978 and then in 1991 does them little credit.

All the above scenario has came about as the result of a board who had little understanding of football, and its amazing that people still cling to ther rejection of some of the good and absolutely correct actions of the old board ie putting the quality of players as paramount and backing their managers, because they understood the real detrimental effect on the "business" if this ever stopped.

And then he sacked him.

The ST fiasco

The manager resigning

The unrest of fans

The drop in attendances

Excellent post.

And then he sacked him.

The ST fiasco

The manager resigning

The unrest of fans

The drop in attendances

HTT's new style - straight to the point. i like it  :pow:

Guest Howaythetoon

In the language of the web content is king.

In the language of finance cash is king.

In the language of the media ratings is king.

In the language of humanity freedom is king.

In the language of football the manager is king.

And Kevin Keegan was our king, he really was.

It infuriates me no end that those running our club have failed to recognise this simple yet most critical concept and therefore proves to me they are and never will be right for our club because this is the mother of all f***-ups - to appoint a very good manager the entire fanbase and playing staff accept and support 100% - only to then do the opposite of that.  :idiot2:

It beggars belief just thinking about it and it is equally staggering that some fans don't see this or rather they don't want to is what I really think. Not even Freddy Shepherd who I personally hold accountable for mismanaging our club during the majority of his tenure failed to recognise the importance of the manager. He may have from time to time dumbed one or two down and undermined one or two once or twice but by and large his appointments had total control to do the job they were appointed to do, the job only they can do - manage the team, by and sell, lead the club.

Why even have a manager if the manager wasn't going to get the full support all managers need? Why appoint Keegan and totaly misuse him? Not backing KK is like signing Michael Owen and sticking him in goal. Pointless and stupid.

Madness and for that alone they want f***ing shot and have no business in football never mind our club.

And then he sacked him.

The ST fiasco

The manager resigning

The unrest of fans

The drop in attendances

Well I disagree with a lot that you've said there, but to take one particular point, I'd dispute what you say about the squad. I think both the first team and the squad have improved since last season. We've had a very tough time with injuries and suspensions over the last few weeks, but I think the next half dozen games will demonstrate that we've moved forward - particularly now that we've got a manager. And the improvement in the squad is down to the sons of Beelzebub in the recruitment team.

It's not a dramatic smash-your-way-into-the-top-four improvement, but that's not realistic.

And then he sacked him.

The ST fiasco

The manager resigning

The unrest of fans

The drop in attendances

Those comments are opportunistic and shallow tbh. Ashley always said Allardyce wasn't his choice of manager but he was prepared to give him a chance and he did by backing him with his shit choices in signings.

Those comments are opportunistic and shallow tbh. Ashley always said Allardyce wasn't his choice of manager but he was prepared to give him a chance and he did by backing him with his s*** choices in signings.

I tend to agree with you about Sam signings being a bit shite but I read on here about what good players most of them are. I think the only 2 universally accepted of being crap now are Smith & Roz.

That would be the same Rozehnal who was written off within 4 months (imagine if Man Utd had done that with Vidic?!), played reasonably well in Euro 2008, and is currently getting a game for the side top of Serie A.

Better players than Roz have failed in the Premiership & done okay/really well elsewhere, thats life.

Wasn't really given a chance to settle though was he? And then when Keegan came in he was used at full-back and in midfield in his last few games.

He had 21 games, I think the other 2 of Sam's signings at CB looked better than him at CB. When we talk about time to settle Beye, Jose & Cacapa who were all newbies to the Prem looked better than him.

But as you say he is part of SA top team so he must be doing something right across there.

And then he sacked him.

The ST fiasco

The manager resigning

The unrest of fans

The drop in attendances

That's very one sided.

The ST fiasco was brought about because people like the Ultras wanted a singing section and the club wanted more kids in so they moved the away supporters and tried to give season ticket holders a choice of where to sit so they didn't feel as if they were getting thrown out in the way people did when the corporates were given the best seats.  How can you hold that against the club and Ashley?

Yes the manager has resigned, none of us yet know enough to form a definitive position on that although some do.

The lack of extra quality in the squad is a matter of opinion and doesn't stand up when transfers in and out are looked at.  Before Ashley arrived we'd already decided that certain players were not getting new contracts.  Bramble, Pav, Moore, Bernard, Gooch, Babayaro and Sibierski were already going.  We also got rid of first teamers in Parker, Nobby and Dyer in the first summer transfer window, we've since got rid of Rozenhal, Emre, Faye and Milner.

We've brought in Viduka who is never fit enough and as I've highlighted Rozenhal so I'll have to mention that he was also brought in, Barton, Geremi, Smith (spit), Cacapa, Enrique, Faye, Beye, Gutierrez, Guthrie, Bassong, Coloccini and Gonzalez.  I'd rather have the players that we brought in than the ones we let go, Nobby, Faye and Milner were worth keeping, the others were not.

As for lack of squad depth, we've got rid of 14 players who could be classed as first team squad players and we had already told 7 of those 14 that they were going before Ashley arrived, we've brought in 15 players who could be classed as squad players.  Even if we include the 7 who were already going we have added 1 to our squad, take out the 7 and we're 8 better off.

The media storm has been going on for years.

The unrest of the fans, again it's been going on for years, I remember it in the mid 70's with Joe Harvey and Westwood.

The drop in attendances would probably have happened anyway due to the financial mess although not to the extent that they have dropped.

• 2 weeks later...

I went last night,  was actually expecting a few more people to turn up than what were there,  not that much happened,  voted for the initial interim committe to stay in charge till end of season/june time when there will be elections.

Two biggest issues were changing the supporters club into a supporters trust,  good idea and way forward,  would give the organisation more power and enable them to get government funding amongst other things.

The other main point was to try and make contact to Mr Ashley via an open letter thru the media, not sure what will be in the letter though, this followed a long debate about the relevance of boycotting or not,  some good points made both for and against the idea.  Depending on getting reply/answer from Ashley will see what direction any continuation or the boycott takes.