Terry Venables turned down chance to manage Newcastle in 2008

Guest Chubby Jason
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'd have Dagleish like a shot.

He used up all his bad luck as manager of us. He's still a good manager, i think

The same halfwits ranting about cockney mafia were the same ones wanting him out.

:doh:

I thought this was just paper bollocks. Not looking good.

How can it be a bad thing to get a motivator with decent tactical knowledge who's experienced in dragging clubs out of trouble in for one month while the club is sold?

The worst decision in our history. Seriously.

We'll be dead and buried by the time he's finished.

We'll be dead and buried 10 games into the season will we? :lol:  Should rename this forum kneejerks are us.

Terry Venables?

Ashley is laughing his tits off at us here.

For an interim job, who would you bring in? Or would you stick with Hughton?

The problem isn't Hughton, it's that the players look totally demoralised (and a number are absolutely shite) and I really don't see how some fucking crooked cockney wideboy is going to change that.

Its the managers job to motivate the players though!  If they're demoralised that's Hughton's responsibility.

Also I'd say that Hughton's team selection has been one of the reasons our players have become so demoralised in the first place, far from the only reason but certainly one of them.

He should know more than us, eh ?

He probably doesn't.

You would know more than an ex-Newcastle captain who commentates on the club and is a regular behind closed doors amongst the players ?

I doubt it, matey. I really do.

I just wish we weren't talking about the same Terry Venables who I hold personally responsible for Australia's failure to qualify for the 1998 World Cup :(

I admit he's been there and done that, he can get the players concentrating on the football, we're desperate, blah blah blah. But my abiding memory of El Tel was that he let a 2-0 lead slip half an hour away from a World Cup berth. His multi-million dollar tactical acumen didn't mean jack shit to us (Australia) when it really counted - I can see why he's an "acceptable" appointment at this moment for the Toon, but I won't have much faith in him...

Gee, it's hard work supporting NUFC these days :(

Two hours later and still the only dancing smiley vote.   :shifty:

Seriously, in light of the events and turmoil at the club, who are we realistically going to get in?  Terim?  Mourinho?  Hiddink?  Hitzfeld? 

The club is going to be sold, there's no two ways about it.  The new owners will want their own person in.  We need a steadying hand until such time and while the list of managers who would take the position might be crap, you have to be pragmatic about it and concede that Venables is about the best of that crap pile we can get in the short term. 

It's in no way an admission or capitulation that we can't do better in the long term or that standards have lowered -- it's just the reality of the situation in the interim.

I'd have Dagleish like a shot.

He used up all his bad luck as manager of us. He's still a good manager, i think

The same halfwits ranting about cockney mafia were the same ones wanting him out.

Do the names Hamilton, Brady, Serrant, Georgiadis, Perez, Andersson and Guivarc'h - or the words "attack, attack, attack" - mean anything to you?

Guest Pavel Is A Geordie

Fantastic appointment IMO.

Vastly experienced, encourages an attractive style of football, extremely well respected within the game - I haven't heard many players say a bad word about him. I can't think of anyone better to stand in for a month and steady the ship.

He should know more than us, eh ?

He probably doesn't.

You would know more than an ex-Newcastle captain who commentates on the club and is a regular behind closed doors amongst the players ?

I doubt it, matey. I really do.

Moncur's a nice bloke but as a pundit he has as much insight as John McCririck. I'm not really arsed about what he might know or might not. We all know Venables is a shady character, and Moncur might just have been snorting at that. I'd have far more regard for what Steve Gibson the Middlesbrough chairman thinks.

As long it's short term, Venables has all the credentials to keep us out of danger until a takeover is complete. That will do me.

Seriously, in light of the events and turmoil at the club, who are we realistically going to get in?  Terim?  Mourinho?  Hiddink?  Hitzfeld?

How about someone who didn't nearly relegate a team five times stronger than ours in his last job, six years ago. Someone who's biggest achievement in the last fifteen years is more impressive than winning seven games out of twenty six with Boro.

We've got a better manager running our academy for fuck sake.

How about someone who didn't nearly relegate a team five times stronger than ours in his last job, six years ago. Someone who's biggest achievement in the last fifteen years is more impressive than winning seven games out of twenty six with Boro.

We've got a better manager running our academy for f*** sake.

To be fair, he had to sell Ferdinand, Keane and Bowyer before the start of the season, and Woodgate, Bowyer and Fowler in the  January

They were only beaten 9 times in 26 games though, pretty decent for a very poor side who were in big trouble when he arrived.

We've got a better manager running our academy for fuck sake.

Look, I'm not saying he's perfect and I thought my post made that abundantly clear, but suggesting Money would do better is ludicrous.  I don't think there's anyone else we could realistically bring in as "good" (relatively) as Venables.

Someone who's biggest achievement in the last fifteen years is more impressive than winning seven games out of twenty six with Boro.

Christ that is shit isn't it?  Almost identical to Keegan's record since he came back (P21 W6)