I think it’s a bit unfair…

maze

Guest Brewcastle

I don't have a problem with foreign fans but I know I could never just pick a side and then follow them. Personally I'll never understand how people in Surrey, Hertfordshire, Beijing, Manilla, Sydney etc can just make that decision. And I'll definitely never understand why people would choose the shitheap that is NUFC ! But credit to them for not just going down the Man U route.

when I lived in Australia I followed the Roosters and Sydney Swans cos they were my local sides. Same happened in Argentina with Boca Juniors too. And I support NUFC cos I'm a born and bred geordie.

I'm "born and bred" Norwegian, a Tronder. Then it's a natural to support Rosenborg BK from Trondheim, a team close to my homeplace. Because of different times of football seasons in Norway and England, English football gets very much attention in Norway. Sending matches on TV every weekend (now today it's sent every day it's a match, league and cups) have lasted for about 40 years. That's the main reason why English football is that popular in Norway.

When I was a young lad I didn't pick a team to support by myself, it was the team that got most publicity and allmost everybody supported. But soon I felt I lost interest. My support wasn't from my heart, it was because of everybody elese supported that team (don't telling who :razz:). I tried to change club when I got another team's football-bag as a present by a mistake. But still the feeling from the heart wasn't there. My interest for English football was there, and I felt I needed a team to support. So I decided to make a last try, and pick a team out of same "roules" as I support Rosenborg BK in Norway. -I wanted to support the English team that was closest to my homeplace here in Norway. - I had a suspicion about what club it could be, and got it confirmed after a look on the map: Newcastle United! I still remember my first feeling: "This is right".  But then too I thought "If I don't get engagded to it with my heart" I give a sh** in supporting one special team". But NUFC felt right from the start. The entusiasm from the Geordies, their history, the way the team play(ed), and everything around the club appealed to me. I was lost to NUFC from an early stage. I don't only support NUFC, but also the fans. And I'm very happy about to have made some very good friends "over there" thru the football.

The supporting is a hobby I like and have become a lifestyle, so I give a sh** if some english or other fan does mean I'm not dedicated enough, or if I should just keep my support to my Norwegian team. I follow my heart, not commands from people who don't know me.

I've lived all my life in Newcastle but actually find some of the foreign posters here can usually write interesting stuff. Raconteur is from Oz I think, and the dutch lad who's always on a downer, Unbelievable his argumentative stance is always a good read.

Guest LucaAltieri

I've lived all my life in Newcastle but actually find some of the foreign posters here can usually write interesting stuff. Raconteur is from Oz I think, and the dutch lad who's always on a downer, Unbelievable his argumentative stance is always a good read.

Alright, steady on.

ALL clubs that profess to be 'big' and 'ambitious' need as much support as they can get ; parochialism, as sometimes expressed by a minority of NUFC fans('you can't support the club if you're not a Geordie' etc etc)

has NO place in today's Prem.

Man U and Arsenal have much larger Financial turnovers than NUFC and a large part of this is sales of merchandise etc in countries where they have a large fan-base.

ALL fans who want to follow the club are welcome, and should be made to feel so at matches...

Alright, steady on.

:lol:

ALL clubs that profess to be 'big' and 'ambitious' need as much support as they can get ; parochialism, as sometimes expressed by a minority of NUFC fans('you can't support the club if you're not a Geordie' etc etc)

has NO place in today's Prem.

Man U and Arsenal have much larger Financial turnovers than NUFC and a large part of this is sales of merchandise etc in countries where they have a large fan-base.

ALL fans who want to follow the club are welcome, and should be made to feel so at matches...

That's about the size of it.

The parochialism has really been showing its fangs in the last few weeks, though. I can't believe some of the stick being handed out to those deemed "foreign" by a handful of self-righteous mongs on here, starting with all the crap about "cockneys". It's all right as banter; it's fucking embarrassing and offensive as banners.

By the way i wasn't having a go at all foreign fans there, i know most of them do show the same passion as the local fans. I just feel that if your a fan you cant just take a break when times are tough.

By the way i wasn't having a go at all foreign fans there, i know most of them do show the same passion as the local fans. I just feel that if your a fan you cant just take a break when times are tough.

I agree, but that goes for local and non local fans.

I'm sure anyone who says that doesn't really, fully, mean it. It's all well and good saying it but even if you avoid the match when it is being played, you'll feel either happy or sad when you find out the result. You'll feel something, if you don't then you can't have been much of a fan at all in the first place. So in a way it is impossible to take a break from supporting the club in my opinion.

dont like cockney mags dont like foreign mags dont like charvs that make us like s**** on tv apart from that we have a decent core support who will always be there

Sad iyam.

to be fair me fatha is a cockney, was looking for a bite didn't get much tho  :colo:

dont like cockney mags dont like foreign mags dont like charvs that make us like s**** on tv apart from that we have a decent core support who will always be there

Sad iyam.

to be fair me fatha is a cockney, was looking for a bite didn't get much tho  :colo:

I'm a Geordie, but I now live in London. If it wasn't for the "Cockney" Mags, and various others, our away end at Arsenal and West Ham would have been a bit thin, believe me.

Kaizero - That was my bad. I should of course have explained why I decided to take a break. It has nothing to do with my support for NUFC and the players at the club. I still got the passion and love. It's easier to break-up with your girlfriend than it is to break-up with your football club, trust me on that.

'Some people believe football is a matter of life and death.

I'm very disappointed with that attitude.

I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.'

When this whole situation first started, I guess I was just as shocked, confused and angry as most in here. But, you know, after a while of venting my opinions and anger I was left with an empty, sad and disappointing feeling. I knew I could not make a difference in terms of protests at the Hull game and outside SJP. You, the season ticketholders and local Geordies had to do that. Basically, I was left feeling pretty small. A few days later though, Ashley released a statement saying he would listen to the fans and sell out. And I just hope you guys can read between the lines, and realise how powerful we, the fans, as a unit are. Together we can do anything.

So after those days, I knew things were going to take off - numerous thread in the forum about 'the same old' stuff, over and over again to total boredom. When you've expressed your opinions (like I had) what's the point of further participating in these threads, repeating yourself? Or to put it in other words, if you feel sick, do you think going around saying "I'm sick, I'm sick, I'm sick" is going to make you feel any better? No.

So: I said what I felt after Keegan parted, I was aware of the effects - we're gonna lose games until order is restored,  people's gonna vent their feelings in endless threads to total boredom, and the media will have tons to write about. I took a stand, and decided not to be a part of that. Things will get better sooner or later.

...That some of you guys seems to just go on and on criticizing foreign fans all the time. I’m not going to deny the some of the posts are a bit outlandish, but to say things like:  “f*** off”, “you’re clueless”, “Cockney” … and so on is not making anything better.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks to you guys, I'm extending my vocabulary :pow: (But, I have no idea why you call Londoners that :iamatwat: )

musika -  Very good post :thup: Just got to add though, I've been a Newcastle fan ever since Shearer signed. I actually met Shearer during Norway Cup '94 when he played for Blackburn against Vålerenga. That was huge, meeting Shearer in person :smitten: 

At an age of 10 I didn't know what EPL was, but after meeting Shearer I became a fan of him. So, in some ways I guess you could say I'm an ex-Blackburn fan. But when he signed for Newcastle, I joined him. And I'm going to stick to this club 'till I die.

Gemmill -  

The only time I have a problem with foreign fans is when they start telling the match-going fans where they're going wrong in supporting the team - there was a lad from Pakistan who came on after one home match to tell us the fans were to blame for the team losing that day, the silly arsehole.  Keep your nose clean on that front and I'll leave you alone. :razz:

You've hit the nail with the hammer there. This is actually in-between the pros and cons with foreign fans. cons: 'you' (local fans) obviously know a lot more than us. I experienced that during my first Newcastle match against West Ham in April 2008. I don't think anyone feel comfortable with being criticized when it's stated in a negative manner. But if it is constructive and non-abusive, I see nothing wrong in that. You need to remember that as a foreign fans we see everything from distance, while you guys are up close every day. I guess there's some pros and cons there as well. I'm not having a go at you, just to make that clear. The Toon Army's support is unquestionable, and at the end of the day it is Newcastle City's football club, so naturally it should AND WILL express the feelings of those who attend the matches and live in and around the city.

OzzieMandias -

Meanwhile, I don't see how anyone can criticise someone who comes from a place without a team for choosing to support Newcastle. We should welcome their interest. If we don't, they'll just be spending their cash on one of our rivals. Personally I find the current situation more depressing, where hardly anyone outside of the UK seems to have heard of us anymore.

As a Geordie who's spent his adult life either in London or abroad, I'm always glad to see foreign supporters. Trying to follow our fortunes in Sky pubs is, in my experience, a thankless and lonely task. If we're on telly, we're either playing one of the "big four", in which case the pub will be full of glory-hunters in red or blue, or else we're playing some smaller team, in which case most people will be cheering on the "underdog" -- and we're never the underdog.

When I went to London in April with my dad, and took the subway to Upton Park - seriously, I've never seen so many Newcastle fans at one time... I felt like coming home right there and then (when, in fact I was in london on my way to Upton). I can't explain the feeling, I was just proud and happy.

Anyway, I have the impression that local Geordies welcome foreigners, and rate us. That is, I came in touch with this Newcastle fan on the sub, and he was from Newcastle, living in Newcastle, been supporting the club for what.. 40 years or so. And he was pretty excited to see a Norwegian Newcastle fan in London, turning up for a West Ham game. "So, you support Newcastle? Coming all the way from Norway TO LONDON, FOR AN AWAY GAME?" ... "you crazy Viking"...That day I made my first friend from Newcastle, and we chat from time to time... mostly on e-mails. And in my latest mail, I asked him what the general feeling in Newcastle City is. Because, I don't know what it is like there. But whatever reason, I'd like to know. I genuinely like to know, in order to understand.

LucaAltieri - Great post! But let's not try to widen the gap by saying locals have it piss-easy, while the foreigners are having such great difficulties. I think it's a bit hard to measure that, and I think it’s a bit unfair… But you're right that we (the foreigners) spend incredibly much time on the internet trying to catch up. For me it's like a full-time job tbh.

Other than that - class post. Spot on.  :thup:

Role Model and Spark -

I agree, but that goes for local and non local fans.

I'm sure anyone who says that doesn't really, fully, mean it. It's all well and good saying it but even if you avoid the match when it is being played, you'll feel either happy or sad when you find out the result. You'll feel something, if you don't then you can't have been much of a fan at all in the first place. So in a way it is impossible to take a break from supporting the club in my opinion.

Please see my response to Kaizero. Also, I always look at the final  result and I feel sad when we lose, happy if we win. Bear in mind that what's happening at and around the club at the moment is equally contributing and damaging to NUFC as the results on the pitch.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

I may be wrong, but it feels to me like the majority of local supporters don't really accept foreign supporters. Maybe this is something that has been perpetuated in the media and isn't strictly true. However, on my first matchday in SJP when I went to the toilets, a number of supporters started to piss on me just because I was wearing a Man U top. Surely if we can't accept people from outside the club will spiral back down and become a smaller enterprise, albeit still with the history and acheivements of 'a big club', or one bigger than most in England. It feels to me like some fans would like that, maybe the majority.

I may be wrong, but it feels to me like the majority of local supporters don't really accept foreign supporters. Maybe this is something that has been perpetuated in the media and isn't strictly true. However, on my first matchday in SJP when I went to the toilets, a number of supporters started to piss on me just because I was wearing a Man U top. Surely if we can't accept people from outside the club will spiral back down and become a smaller enterprise, albeit still with the history and acheivements of 'a big club', or one bigger than most in England. It feels to me like some fans would like that, maybe the majority.

You were wearing a man u top to a toon game??

You were wearing a man u top to a toon game??

:lol:

I must admit I have more respect for Foreign fans who pick outside the top four, the amount of Yanks who support the top four with the most tedious of links.

I must admit I have more respect for Foreign fans who pick outside the top four, the amount of Yanks who support the top four with the most tedious of links.

What about foreign fans who chose us when we were a good team - surely just as bad as those choosing Chelsea now?

Eh, I've come to accept the fact that it's pointless to try to equate local and remote support.  People on here who grew up with Newcastle just look at and support the club in a whole different way than I can or do.  And even if I moved to tyneside it wouldn't be the same because I'd have missed out on the formative years with it. 

I don't feel bad or down about that though, not by any means.  It's not better or worse, just entirely different.  And you see that reaction from local fans when they question how a foreign fan could support a team 5000 or more miles away -- to them it doesn't make sense and we struggle to really explain it.  I've given up on reconciling the two as just about impossible so I'd rather just respect them for who they are and hope they respond in kind. 

For a long time though I did have a bit of inferiority complex about it, like I though I could never love the club as much as a "real fan" could or be as "good" a supporter.  But then one day I just kind of came around to ignoring what the mongs say.  And TBH people who try to hold things like that over someone elses head need shot. 

my .02

What about foreign fans who chose us when we were a good team - surely just as bad as those choosing Chelsea now?

tbf it's not the same if they're still sticking by us. I doubt many of the current Chelski "supporters" would if they started crashing and burning.

tbf it's not the same if they're still sticking by us. I doubt many of the current Chelski "supporters" would if they started crashing and burning.

I was playing devil's advocate a bit and I agree that if they are still "here" then they are just as much masochists as the rest of us.