Mike Ashley - Newcastle's best ever chairman/owner.

Benwell Lad

Woudlnt go that far to be honest - takes a bit to achieve what SJH did, however i fully supported the plans he had for the club - he did make one big error of judgement and that was bringin Keegan back, the oppurtunity to rectifythat mistake has now gone.

It would be interesting to see how many of the fans would blame Ashley for relegation if it were to happen and how many fans would blame themselves for not allowing him to rectify the situation in time a la West Ham.

This whole episode has massively dented my faith in the fans.

he did make one big error of judgement and that was bringin Keegan back

Given the lack of decent alternatives, I struggle to see how bringing back someone who saved us from relegation was a mistake - or was the mistake to actually make the fans hope?

I certainly think Ashley was the best leader the club has had in that time

Best leader?!?! He appointed: Chris Mort (Loan-Chariman) the fucker could not even get him on a full time deal & Steve Hayward (non-executive Director) & they went out & got Dennis Wise (Executive Director (Football)), Tony Jimenez (Vice President (Player Recruitment)), Jeff Vetere (Technical Co-ordinator), David Williamson (Executive Director (Operations)), John Irving  (Financial Controller)  & Derek Llambias (Managing Director & Chairman). That crew ran/led or currently run/lead Newcastle United. Elsewhere mid 2007 the Chairman of Sports Direct left after a boardroom wrangle (I FUCKING KID YOU NOT!!), Mike could not get anyone in (REALLY I AM NOT SHITTING YOU), so he went back to running the SportDirect as Chairman from Dec 2007. He leads SportsDirect, he owns Newcastle United Football.

When I get the urge I will look at the rest of your post

I can't believe that anyone can still think Ashley has been a good owner - just look at the mess we are in. Don't blame the fans or KK; if Ashley had the balls for it he'd stick it out and hold on to his beliefs. He wants his money and he will get it. He's lied to us and tried to get public sympathy through a statement made with the benefit of hindsight.

You know I am quite surprised by this thread, I have no grudge about Mike Ashley and am sure he is a good guy but can any of his supporters answer these questions:

1) Why (and still to this day) when everyone in the world can see that both Llambias and Wise are useless and have done nothing for the club does he persist with them? His public persona has been battered over this yet still they stay?

2) Why did Ashley attend call a meeting with supporters and corporate clients to ask why they where not buying season tickets and boxes and announce there would be a 'WOW' signing and tell us money was available when that was a total lie?

3) Why the wall of silence from the club?

4) Why try to assasinate Keegans character shortly after he left only to retract later?

5) Why claim Police told him to keep away from the ground which was then denied?

He says he had a plan but I don't believe any of it, he installed Wise who sold Milner and brought Xisco and Gonzalez in on the last day but if Wise and Co had a plan where the hell where the early signings? He wants to reduce the wage bill (by alledegly selling anyone on the books) which we all agree with but he has allowed us to start the season with a paper thin squad and joke of a DOF, if you think that is the work of a astute business man then I think you need to look a little closer.

He has constantly contradicted himself week in week out and made himself look like a joke, that in anyones book shows extremely poor judgement and the fact he took the fans for idiots who would always turn up to support there beloved Newcastle was ultimately his downfall. I for one will be glad when he has gone. Yes he apparently had a plan but funny how he only told us that plan after all the protests and previous lies.

Where was the annoucement pre-season telling us that 20 mill was the budget each year and that was it? It was non-existent, because damage limitation is now the only plan on his agenda, he is not stupid and he knows a club staring relegation in the face with no saleable assets and falling attendances mean he will get back half of what he paid, he wants out asap because the longer he stays the more it costs him.

He and his team are faceless and in the spotlight that is football, frankly that is unacceptable.

He's the worst owner we have had.

He says something like "I want the club to be run like Arsenal" and suddenly he was close to making us the most stable club in the world.

I honestly can't believe people defend Ashley, he's done fuck all but buy the club and pay off some of the debts (that were perfectly reasonable for us to have, none of this bullshit about we were heading for a Leeds), now he wants to sell the club but he's going to charge an extra £100m, aye, great, he's the new messiah - shame the fans had to spoil it for him.

Spackas.

Ashley took the club from 13th to 12th in the full season he was here.

Shepherd took the club from 2nd to 13th in the full seasons he was here.

That is all.

You must have been smashed out of your head when you penned this.

Guest Wally_McFool

he did make one big error of judgement and that was bringin Keegan back

He should have appointed Harry Redknapp instead  then, shouldn't he!

Oh wait a minute!

You know I am quite surprised by this thread, I have no grudge about Mike Ashley and am sure he is a good guy but can any of his supporters answer these questions:

1) Why (and still to this day) when everyone in the world can see that both Llambias and Wise are useless and have done nothing for the club does he persist with them? His public persona has been battered over this yet still they stay?

2) Why did Ashley attend call a meeting with supporters and corporate clients to ask why they where not buying season tickets and boxes and announce there would be a 'WOW' signing and tell us money was available when that was a total lie?

4) Why try to assasinate Keegans character shortly after he left only to retract later?

5) Why claim Police told him to keep away from the ground which was then denied?

He says he had a plan but I don't believe any of it, he installed Wise who sold Milner and brought Xisco and Gonzalez in on the last day but if Wise and Co had a plan where the hell where the early signings? He wants to reduce the wage bill (by alledegly selling anyone on the books) which we all agree with but he has allowed us to start the season with a paper thin squad and joke of a DOF, if you think that is the work of a astute business man then I think you need to look a little closer.

He has constantly contradicted himself week in week out and made himself look like a joke, that in anyones book shows extremely poor judgement and the fact he took the fans for idiots who would always turn up to support there beloved Newcastle was ultimately his downfall. I for one will be glad when he has gone. Yes he apparently had a plan but funny how he only told us that plan after all the protests and previous lies.

Where was the annoucement pre-season telling us that 20 mill was the budget each year and that was it? It was non-existent, because damage limitation is now the only plan on his agenda, he is not stupid and he knows a club staring relegation in the face with no saleable assets and falling attendances mean he will get back half of what he paid, he wants out asap because the longer he stays the more it costs him.

He and his team are faceless and in the spotlight that is football, frankly that is unacceptable.

Here we go...

1) Ashley is off himself, so why would or should he sack them?

2) Were you at said meeting? That "wow" thing was something put out by some third rate blog. Money was spent.

3) I agree with this point, but on the other hand I'm not sure what they could have said that would have placated us fans other than to update us with the progress of certain things. Better to say something than nothing at all, though.

4) What did they retract?

5) Maybe he wasn't officially told to, just advised off the record by a random officer or something?

He told us of his plans before the protests. You missed them if you don't think he did.

Don't give me any of this juvenile "Ashleyite", "Ashley supporter" nonsense back, I'm just answering your questions. He has messed up as have plenty of other people and now we're all suffering. The sooner he and his "cronies" are out, and the obsession with Keegan recedes, we can get on with things and finally look to the future and stability again.

Here we go...

2) Were you at said meeting? That "wow" thing was something put out by some third rate blog. Money was spent.

3) I agree with this point, but on the other hand I'm not sure what they could have said that would have placated us fans other than to update us with the progress of certain things. Better to say something than nothing at all, though.

5) Maybe he wasn't officially told to, just advised off the record by a random officer or something?

He told us of his plans before the protests. You missed them if you don't think he did.

Don't give me any of this juvenile "Ashleyite", "Ashley supporter" nonsense back, I'm just answering your questions. He has messed up as have plenty of other people and now we're all suffering. The sooner he and his "cronies" are out, and the obsession with Keegan recedes, we can get on with things and finally look to the future and stability again.

Lol, why would I give you a juvenile response back, I thought this was a forum.

Anyway,

1) Ashley is off himself, so why would or should he sack them? He should sack them for his public image if nothing else, for an intensely private man (before he joined NUFC) he needs to repair the damage done by all this and removing the problem (Wise) would show he can lead, which to the World it current looks like he can't

2) Were you at said meeting? That "wow" thing was something put out by some third rate blog. Money was spent. - No I was not at the meeting but and I quote from NUFC website 'Money will be available for the right signing' what has he actually spent, 10 Mil - Colo, 2 Mil Bassong, 2 Mil Guthrie and 5 Mil Xisco, I make that 19 Mil and 12 back from Milner so his net spend was about 5 mil not 20 Mil?

3) I agree with this point, but on the other hand I'm not sure what they could have said that would have placated us fans other than to update us with the progress of certain things. Better to say something than nothing at all, though. He could have been honest that would placate us, I am sure no team in the Country would rather we where succesful from home grown or nutured talent than NUFC but you cannot put up a wall of silence, he said nothing and look at the reaction it got, do you think on reflection the clubs silence was a good move?

4) What did they retract? - They slagged Keegan off saying he was in dream land asking from Ronaldinho, etc but retracted when they saw the backlash to 'Kevin and I always got on' if they always got on that surely he is two faced for laughing at him behind his back?

5) Maybe he wasn't officially told to, just advised off the record by a random officer or something? For the Police to make a statement I think that is highly unlikely, more like Wise and Co said 'bloody hell, Mike, you don't wanna be going up there anymore'

He told us of his plans before the protests. You missed them if you don't think he did. - If I missed this then fair enough, but all I see from before this shambles was 'kevin has the final say on all team matters' from both Wise and Ashley, something which was obviously a lie.

And I would be interested to read where he said we would only spend 20 Mil a season before this crap so if you could post a link that would be good :)

Best leader?!?! He appointed: Chris Mort (Loan-Chariman) the fucker could not even get him on a full time deal & Steve Hayward (non-executive Director) & they went out & got Dennis Wise (Executive Director (Football)), Tony Jimenez (Vice President (Player Recruitment)), Jeff Vetere (Technical Co-ordinator), David Williamson (Executive Director (Operations)), John Irving  (Financial Controller)  & Derek Llambias (Managing Director & Chairman). That crew ran/led or currently run/lead Newcastle United. Elsewhere mid 2007 the Chairman of Sports Direct left after a boardroom wrangle (I f***ing KID YOU NOT!!), Mike could not get anyone in (REALLY I AM NOT SHITTING YOU), so he went back to running the SportDirect as Chairman from Dec 2007. He leads SportsDirect, he owns Newcastle United Football.

Don't bother. If you get as excited as you did about that one line you may have a heart attack or spontaneously combust or something.

Anyway now that you and the rest of the pie boycotters have got what you want we can look forward to a better plan for the future and better leadership than Ashley gave us. Can't we ?

He's in overall control and therefore has presided over the most farcical circumstances I can ever remember, circumstances which may yet see us relegated.

As the person ultimately in charge of this mess, he gets no thanks from me.

And yes, I'm as bitter as fuck after giving him three years of my money up front, placing my trust in the systems he's now so willingly abandoning, and generally affording him the benefit of any doubt since he arrived.

he didn't put money in to the team (ie, the thing us fans follow) though, he put it into paying off debts that he had no choice but to pay off, and others that would prove to be an investment and save him money through avoiding future interest payments.

seems like ive had to point this out a million times before, but im sick of that particular canard.

You have to keep pointing it out because from a financial perspective it doesnt back up the position you are taking. Debt is fine but no debt is better because debt has a cost, r. I wont go into the models for you.

I'm sick of reading the opinions of people on finance and business who are not qualified to open their mouths on the subject. However, we all have a cross to bear Johnny.

aye, the same old people still defending it, as we hurtle down towards where the Halls and Shepherd found us.

You have to acknowledge at some point that Shepherd had stopped spending on the team, that's how Roeder had one of the weakest squads since the days of McKeag who you keep coming back to. At the point Ashley took over the well had run dry, the big money signings had put the club into significant debt with no return following Souness reign of terror, and Roeder's bumbling ineptness. There was no Europe, we were doing shit at that point.

This isn't a defence of Ashley, btw, just bringing some perspective.

comes back to a point also mentioned before though. You may think that Roeder was "inept" or whatever, but if you want to compare the 2 regimes ie McKeag etc and Shepherd/Hall etc, then where we were under Roeder was deemed success [not shit] under the McKeags and his cronies.

Thats also a perspective.

Understand ? Its called "higher expectation", which I've mentioned in the Shepherds Legacy thread, as well as other threads in the past.

If you just want to pick selective periods to support your POV, then I would say that the most successful period we had was when SJH was the Chairman. As soon as Shepherd took the reigns, the rot set in. Under Hall we went from being 2nd in the league to struggling against relegation due to Shepherd's tenure. This is also an undeniable fact.

Best leader?!?! He appointed: Chris Mort (Loan-Chariman) the fucker could not even get him on a full time deal & Steve Hayward (non-executive Director) & they went out & got Dennis Wise (Executive Director (Football)), Tony Jimenez (Vice President (Player Recruitment)), Jeff Vetere (Technical Co-ordinator), David Williamson (Executive Director (Operations)), John Irving  (Financial Controller)  & Derek Llambias (Managing Director & Chairman). That crew ran/led or currently run/lead Newcastle United. Elsewhere mid 2007 the Chairman of Sports Direct left after a boardroom wrangle (I f***ing KID YOU NOT!!), Mike could not get anyone in (REALLY I AM NOT SHITTING YOU), so he went back to running the SportDirect as Chairman from Dec 2007. He leads SportsDirect, he owns Newcastle United Football.

Don't bother. If you get as excited as you did about that one line you may have a heart attack or spontaneously combust or something.

Anyway now that your and the rest of the pie boycotters have got what you want we can look forward to a better plan for the future and better leadership than Ashley gave us. Can't we ?

I will reply to the rest of you ramble as & when :thup:. What was this plan for the future, feel free to tell me this great leadership you saw.

You see thats your problem you assume I am a boycotter of pies because of this rumpus but I made it clear to you I was boycotting them pies pre-Ashley as they are £1.80 a pop. Of course on a cold Intetoto cup game TheSpence has been known to buy one of these molten lava delights & whack it under his seat & nosh it down after it has had 45mins + stoppage time to cool down to a level humans can eat.

I have also been known to eat the "GUEST PIE" does anyone know if they still do that?

Anyway now that you and the rest of the pie boycotters have got what you want we can look forward to a better plan for the future and better leadership than Ashley gave us. Can't we ?

I will reply to the rest of you ramble as & when :thup:. What was this plan for the future, feel free to tell me this great leadership you saw.

You see thats your problem you assume I am a boycotter of pies because of this rumpus but I made it clear to you I was boycotting them pies pre-Ashley as they are £1.80 a pop. Of course on a cold Intetoto cup game TheSpence has been known to buy one of these molten lava delights & whack it under his seat & nosh it down after it has had 45mins + stoppage time to cool down to a level humans can eat.

I have also been known to eat the "GUEST PIE" does anyone know if they still do that?

Nah, they only have eel pies since the cockney mafia took over.

(1) As I've said elsewhere Ashley's vision for the club was long term and involved building from the acadamy. Maybe he sees qualities in the two mentioned that goes on behind the scenes. If Keegan hadn't walked adn we had got 6 points from Hull and Blackburn, 1 from West Ham and beaten Spurs nobody would have had a problem. The Keegan factor has clouded every other action which has gone on at the club since last summer.

(2) The £20m was over and above what the club could generate, maybe it would have been spent in January. We will never know

Best leader?!?! He appointed: Chris Mort (Loan-Chariman) the fucker could not even get him on a full time deal & Steve Hayward (non-executive Director) & they went out & got Dennis Wise (Executive Director (Football)), Tony Jimenez (Vice President (Player Recruitment)), Jeff Vetere (Technical Co-ordinator), David Williamson (Executive Director (Operations)), John Irving  (Financial Controller)  & Derek Llambias (Managing Director & Chairman). That crew ran/led or currently run/lead Newcastle United. Elsewhere mid 2007 the Chairman of Sports Direct left after a boardroom wrangle (I FUCKING KID YOU NOT!!), Mike could not get anyone in (REALLY I AM NOT SHITTING YOU), so he went back to running the SportDirect as Chairman from Dec 2007. He leads SportsDirect, he owns Newcastle United Football.

:lol:

Guest TheKingOfNewcastle

2) Were you at said meeting? That "wow" thing was something put out by some third rate blog. Money was spent. - No I was not at the meeting but and I quote from NUFC website 'Money will be available for the right signing' what has he actually spent, 10 Mil - Colo, 2 Mil Bassong, 2 Mil Guthrie and 5 Mil Xisco, I make that 19 Mil and 12 back from Milner so his net spend was about 5 mil not 20 Mil?

Don't for get the money recouped on selling Emre, Rozenhal and Faye. We made a profit on transfers this summer. Ashley spent fuck all.

Well I don't know about anyone else but I read the £20 million comment by Ashley as meaning that is what he was prepared to allow the club to lose as a trading loss each year. This is light years away from saying that he was prepared to invest £20 million in the squad each year. If he doesn't sell the club by 1st January just prepare youselves for him starting to make inroads into that loss - Given and Zoggy are now on the books at nowt, and Owen and Oba at next to nowt. Most of what we get would be profit.

I'm really not saying our best players are all gone in one window but we now have a regime that looks at players as financial assets as opposed to what they deliver on the park. I don't know if the quote about the club looking at the "residual value" of players was real or not, but it seems to be what has been going on. Up for debate is what the residual on someone like Xisco is - he looks ordinary to date but plenty of foreign players take time to adapt, trouble is they need class and confidence around them :weep:.  We haven't got a squad that can allow for the learning process - maybe Keegan knew that all along.

Here we go...

Lol, why would I give you a juvenile response back, I thought this was a forum.

Anyway,

1) Ashley is off himself, so why would or should he sack them? He should sack them for his public image if nothing else, for an intensely private man (before he joined NUFC) he needs to repair the damage done by all this and removing the problem (Wise) would show he can lead, which to the World it current looks like he can't

3) I agree with this point, but on the other hand I'm not sure what they could have said that would have placated us fans other than to update us with the progress of certain things. Better to say something than nothing at all, though. He could have been honest that would placate us, I am sure no team in the Country would rather we where succesful from home grown or nutured talent than NUFC but you cannot put up a wall of silence, he said nothing and look at the reaction it got, do you think on reflection the clubs silence was a good move?

4) What did they retract? - They slagged Keegan off saying he was in dream land asking from Ronaldinho, etc but retracted when they saw the backlash to 'Kevin and I always got on' if they always got on that surely he is two faced for laughing at him behind his back?

5) Maybe he wasn't officially told to, just advised off the record by a random officer or something? For the Police to make a statement I think that is highly unlikely, more like Wise and Co said 'bloody hell, Mike, you don't wanna be going up there anymore'

He told us of his plans before the protests. You missed them if you don't think he did. - If I missed this then fair enough, but all I see from before this shambles was 'kevin has the final say on all team matters' from both Wise and Ashley, something which was obviously a lie.

1) He's on his way anyway like I said, his reputation won't recover any time soon, so removing the likes of Wise from the club would be ultimately worthless from his point of view. Whether the new owners choose to move him in is up to them.

2) Money was spent, we just made a profit on it. Every single time someone makes a point of saying that we did spend money they are countered by the Milner £12m sale. We brought some good players in for fair prices and made a very good sale with Milner. Since when was making a profit automatically seen as a negative outcome?

I'm not too bothered that we made a profit if that is what we did but on the other hand we definitely should have spent more and we definitely need more players in than what we got.

3) No I don't think the silence was a good move, hence me making statements like "Better to say something than nothing at all, though".

4) Who actually made that statement about Keegan? I don't think Ashley did.

5) Like I said and will repeat, maybe it was just said off the record, by a random officer. Not an official statement.

The best leader the club has had?  Mike Ashley? :kasper:  He's the anti leader FFS!  He's invisible 99% of the time.. :lol:

The club's getting sold isn't it? That means he's making way for whichever next best leader who is willing to put his money where his mouth is. That's how it is, that's how it's always been.