Mike Ashley - Newcastle's best ever chairman/owner.

Benwell Lad

his success is nothing compared to what sjh achieved at the club. what i will say though, is that shepheard had 10 years in charge of the club, only 3 of which were anything near a success. ashley had one year, and we were moving forward, till this happened.

oh dear.

What exactly do you not understand about the fact that a minority shareholder doesn't own the club and can't do anything without the support and agreement of fellow shareholders ? This applies to both Hall Snr and Shepherd by the way.

Why does this have to be repeated so often.  :nope:

Two quotes here:

well, that is the same question as "who will buy the club that will do better than the Halls and Shepherd". Sadly, the answer from most people appeared to be "anybody".

I'm sure in your usual style, you will go scratting around looking for this comment, with nothing better to do. Don't think you will find it though, but keep making things up

So why is it okay for you to attribute opinions and quotes to multiple people - i.e. that supposedly everybody thought anybody could run the club better - when you then decry someone for attributing a view to you personally in much the same way?  You make stuff up yourself, it'd seem.  Can't have it both ways.

because the vast majority of people DID imply that qualifying regularly for europe was "shite" and pretty much anybody would do better, as if by right.

You're lost in a crowd of your own straw men.

Not really, considering I don't have a problem agreeing with you (or anyone else for that matter) if my opinion is the same as yours.

You're obsessed with Mick, Ozzie and others to a ridiculous degree, and have no intention of ever even entertaining their opinions. You're always right, they're always wrong.

He's obsessed with the past.

The title of this thread was intended to be provocative and make us think about the post Ashley era now he has been hounded out.

Even NE5 has to realise that whether FFS and Co gave us courageous and successful leadership or whether they gave reckless leadership leading towards oblivion, it doesn't really matter any more. They are not coming back.

It would be good if he could tell us what he wants post Ashley in specific real world terms rather than continuously using abstract expressions such as  its gaining success on the field that matters, and thats his main requirement which he must do to the best of his ability.  

We ALL know that and we ALL want that, it's just that a lot of us thought that's what Ashley was doing until Keegan walked and he may just still be our best chance.

If you want him out then specify what will improve our situation, but with specifics please not just "Ashley's s****, Keegan's a messiah, the old board were great" type remarks which frankly any retard can spout.

no, I'm not obsessed with the past. But you should learn from the past. I only used ex directors of the club to try and point out that showing ambition for the club was a matter of choice and not automatic, which appeared to be what many people thought.

Sadly, they have found out the hard way re recent events and witnessing new people running the club who have not chosen to take this route.

Looking forward, we need owners of the club who have the desire to succeed and the understanding of how to do it in terms of running one of the biggest clubs in the country. Until that happens, we won't match the european qualifications and the champions League run etc, and that is not looking in the past at all, its pointing out the blatantly obvious that many people chose to ignore and sadly STILL choose to ignore. The conclusion being - in keeping with your thread title - that any suggestion that Ashley is anywhere near being better than even the Halls and Shepherd, never mind the best ever, is ridiculous and utter nonsense.

It was fairly easy for me [and one or two others] to see the signs of the direction the club was going by the way, having seen it before. All it takes is to open your eyes.

Fine. But the only names you ever mention are from the past.

So WHO do you suggest is willing to buy the club and better placed than Ashley to do that in the future ? 

well, that is the same question as "who will buy the club that will do better than the Halls and Shepherd". Sadly, the answer from most people appeared to be "anybody".

Wrong.

All I know, is that I realised early on that Ashley was getting it wrong and wasn't the bloke for us. And I only realised it, because of seeing similar actions from previous owners and didn't have blinkers on.

So we can shout about the problem but can't come up with a viable solution.

We should hound Ashley out but we have no idea who can replace him and do better.

Fine.

The funny thing is NE5 used the same argument when Shepherd was here, " Name someone who will come in, buy the club and who are guaranteed to do better" of course nobody could because after all how could people on a football forum know of a billionaire who wants the club, yet now the boot is on the other foot and he's being asked that question he hasn't got a clue either.

You really couldn't make it up.

I'm sure in your usual style, you will go scratting around looking for this comment, with nothing better to do. Don't think you will find it though, but keep making things up  mackems.gif

i see your marvellous DOF system is working really well these days ?

What a typically unoriginal reply from you, is this where I say about you admitting Dennis Wise's signings blew your socks off?

EDIT - Btw a quick search of the word guaranteed by you throws up plenty of shit like this...

"Also please tell us, who in your opinion, meets your criteria to run the club and is guaranteed to improve our performance over the last decade where only 4 clubs have a higher average league position and qualified more for europe ?

As you insist you know best, go ahead and prove it."

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=28620.msg541938#msg541938

So now I've shown you to be a liar, can you name people who will come in with the money to buy the club and are guaranteed to move it forward?

As you insist you know best, go ahead and prove it.

"meets the criteria" ? Abramovic ? Bill Gates ? Realistic or not ?

matthew lad, I reckon you too should admit that your marvellous DOF system has failed, and instead of commenting on me, comment on where I've made your mate mick to be a liar, unless you too have a personality driven agenda ?

All I know, is that Ashley has not been a good owner, so replacing him with better will be an easier job that replacing the Halls and Shepherd with better  bluelaugh.gif

As YOU were one of those who appeared to suggest that replacing the Halls and Shepherd with better would be easy, please explain why it hasn't been the case.

Or better still, bugger off and play on the internet with your phone or something. Or throw a strop ie throw your toys out of the pram again, the very thing you accuse Keegan of doing.

I've no intention of getting into a row with you and getting banned again by the way. So thats it I'm afraid. You can go back onto the Spurs message boards telling them how wonderful they are, and how pleased you are that we are following their lead.

Still avoiding the question I see.

Name these people who are going to buy this club that are guaranteed to do better, as you insist you know best, go ahead and prove it.

Also if you knew Ashley was going to be so bad then why did you rush out and sell your shares to him at the first chance you got? Or signing up to his 3 year deal?

No surprise to see you waffling rubbish to try and avoid answering the question, no comment on me proving you a liar either, don't worry though Steve we don't want your toys coming out of the pram again. mackems.gif

haha.........as if I was able to hold onto my few shares when Ashley bought over 90% and enforced the sale.  Are you always so dumb ?

Why didn't you buy any by the way ? Were you just about to embark on the 100 games you've seen in your life in 27 years  bluelaugh.gif

I'm not a liar, but your mate mick is. Proven.

I don't know who will take over the club, but its easier to improve on someone doing badly than someone doing well.

Have a good time on the Spurs message boards.

Bye.

You sold long before you had to, in fact you couldn't wait to sell to Ashley.

I didn't buy any because it would have been a waste of money, as shown on the amount you lost when you sold them I was right.

You're a liar, I've already proven it in this thread.

So you can't name someone who will be guaranteed to move the club forward like Ashley moved us forward based on league position last season? I would have thought a smart bloke like yourself who can remember a song sung in 1977 would be all over this. mackems.gif

I'll leave it there Steve as I can see your toys are coming out of the pram, the last thing I want is for you to piss in your rocking chair again. mackems.gif

Bye bye. :-*

What we need is an honest Chairman who will look after the interests of his club. I'm sure Shepherd is buying Mallorca because he wants to invest his money for no return other than to see Spanish children skipping and singing gaily of his generosity towards local welfare.

The Shepherd out brigade do look a bit stupid now, my concern is how stupid the Ashley out brigade are going to look in a couple of years.

I'd say a high percentage of them are the same people.

Like dogs chasing cars, as soon as they catch it, they move on to the next one.

Guest elbee909

Two quotes here:

I'm sure in your usual style, you will go scratting around looking for this comment, with nothing better to do. Don't think you will find it though, but keep making things up

So why is it okay for you to attribute opinions and quotes to multiple people - i.e. that supposedly everybody thought anybody could run the club better - when you then decry someone for attributing a view to you personally in much the same way?  You make stuff up yourself, it'd seem.  Can't have it both ways.

because the vast majority of people DID imply that qualifying regularly for europe was "shite" and pretty much anybody would do better, as if by right.

They didn't though, did they?  They, whoever 'they' are, just didn't imply this.  I'd be happy to admit I'm wrong if you can find some vast majority evidence of this.  If people had grievances then it was down to the shite such as the Souness appointment, that was really the straw that broke the camel's back for most people.  All it'd have taken was a quality appointment after Robson and Shepherd could have bummed a donkey and I wouldn't have cared.  It seems European football is the only criteria you have to prove long term success but that those European nights started disappearing long before Ashley appeared on the scene.

The Shepherd out brigade do look a bit stupid now, my concern is how stupid the Ashley out brigade are going to look in a couple of years.

There are 4 groups of people in this debate (loosely defined around Ashley as we dont know who will takeover).

Shepherd Out / Ashley in - Tron etc

Shepherd In / Ashley Out - NE5 etc

Shepherd In / Ashley In - ChezGiven etc

Shepherd Out / Ashley Out - Mongs.

There are 4 groups of people in this debate (loosely defined around Ashley as we dont know who will takeover).

Just to clarify, I don't back Ashley as such, but I consider it futile driving out an owner without knowing what the future holds.

Shepherd I consider a well meaning pleb mostly, and I'm not going to start revising my opinion because of what's happened recently.

Just to clarify, I don't back Ashley as such, but I consider it futile driving out an owner without knowing what the future holds.

Shepherd I consider a well meaning pleb mostly, and I'm not going to start revising my opinion because of what's happened recently.

My post was tongue in cheek really and i am on the same wavelength re: Ashley because people found him guilty on Tuesday 2nd September. I'm fundamentally against anyone who forms an opinion like that (right or wrong).

Two quotes here:

because the vast majority of people DID imply that qualifying regularly for europe was "s****" and pretty much anybody would do better, as if by right.

They didn't though, did they?  They, whoever 'they' are, just didn't imply this.  I'd be happy to admit I'm wrong if you can find some vast majority evidence of this.  If people had grievances then it was down to the s**** such as the Souness appointment, that was really the straw that broke the camel's back for most people.  All it'd have taken was a quality appointment after Robson and Shepherd could have bummed a donkey and I wouldn't have cared.  It seems European football is the only criteria you have to prove long term success but that those European nights started disappearing long before Ashley appeared on the scene.

About 2 months actually.

15-Mar 2007 UEFA Cup Rnd 16(2)

and as for those who thought Ashley would be better than H&S (before anyone knew anything about him or his supposed intentions for the club):

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=40582.0

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/8433/99144770mk4.png

Btw voting happy in a poll doesn't necessarily mean they expected Ashley to be 'better than H&S'. The former is leaving after just one year, so it's a bit unfair to compare his admittedly disastrous one year to the best of Shepherd and Hall, spread over a period of ten years plus.

We'll never know what the club was capable of under Ashley as he's quitting at the first sign of trouble.

Guest elbee909

Two quotes here:

because the vast majority of people DID imply that qualifying regularly for europe was "s****" and pretty much anybody would do better, as if by right.

They didn't though, did they?  They, whoever 'they' are, just didn't imply this.  I'd be happy to admit I'm wrong if you can find some vast majority evidence of this.  If people had grievances then it was down to the s**** such as the Souness appointment, that was really the straw that broke the camel's back for most people.  All it'd have taken was a quality appointment after Robson and Shepherd could have bummed a donkey and I wouldn't have cared.  It seems European football is the only criteria you have to prove long term success but that those European nights started disappearing long before Ashley appeared on the scene.

About 2 months actually.

and as for those who thought Ashley would be better than H&S (before anyone knew anything about him or his supposed intentions for the club):

That poll isn't actually 100% relevant.  You must admit there's a difference between everyone buzzing over a major shift in club ownership and thinking the best, rather than the worst, and the sentiment that's been applied retrospectively that everyone is meant to have thought anyone could do better.

Re. European nights, ok, let's say 'qualification' instead.  Why not count intertoto appearances as proof of success...

Ashley only had the job for one year, during which there was a lot of upheaval that was not entirely within his control. No-one will be able to definitely say whether things would have worked out well or not in the long-term. Personally I think he had the right ideas.

Two quotes here:

About 2 months actually.

Why do all the Shepherd cheerleaders always insist on linking his years in charge with SJH? John Hall was a visionary and our best years were when he was at the helm. When he stepped back and Shepherd took over, there was a definite decline set in. Not that it hasn't been pointed out a hundred times before.

Not really, considering I don't have a problem agreeing with you (or anyone else for that matter) if my opinion is the same as yours.

You're obsessed with Mick, Ozzie and others to a ridiculous degree, and have no intention of ever even entertaining their opinions. You're always right, they're always wrong.

He's obsessed with the past.

The title of this thread was intended to be provocative and make us think about the post Ashley era now he has been hounded out.

Even NE5 has to realise that whether FFS and Co gave us courageous and successful leadership or whether they gave reckless leadership leading towards oblivion, it doesn't really matter any more. They are not coming back.

It would be good if he could tell us what he wants post Ashley in specific real world terms rather than continuously using abstract expressions such as  its gaining success on the field that matters, and thats his main requirement which he must do to the best of his ability.  

We ALL know that and we ALL want that, it's just that a lot of us thought that's what Ashley was doing until Keegan walked and he may just still be our best chance.

If you want him out then specify what will improve our situation, but with specifics please not just "Ashley's s****, Keegan's a messiah, the old board were great" type remarks which frankly any retard can spout.

no, I'm not obsessed with the past. But you should learn from the past. I only used ex directors of the club to try and point out that showing ambition for the club was a matter of choice and not automatic, which appeared to be what many people thought.

Sadly, they have found out the hard way re recent events and witnessing new people running the club who have not chosen to take this route.

Looking forward, we need owners of the club who have the desire to succeed and the understanding of how to do it in terms of running one of the biggest clubs in the country. Until that happens, we won't match the european qualifications and the champions League run etc, and that is not looking in the past at all, its pointing out the blatantly obvious that many people chose to ignore and sadly STILL choose to ignore. The conclusion being - in keeping with your thread title - that any suggestion that Ashley is anywhere near being better than even the Halls and Shepherd, never mind the best ever, is ridiculous and utter nonsense.

It was fairly easy for me [and one or two others] to see the signs of the direction the club was going by the way, having seen it before. All it takes is to open your eyes.

Fine. But the only names you ever mention are from the past.

So WHO do you suggest is willing to buy the club and better placed than Ashley to do that in the future ? 

Wrong.

All I know, is that I realised early on that Ashley was getting it wrong and wasn't the bloke for us. And I only realised it, because of seeing similar actions from previous owners and didn't have blinkers on.

So we can shout about the problem but can't come up with a viable solution.

We should hound Ashley out but we have no idea who can replace him and do better.

Fine.

The funny thing is NE5 used the same argument when Shepherd was here, " Name someone who will come in, buy the club and who are guaranteed to do better" of course nobody could because after all how could people on a football forum know of a billionaire who wants the club, yet now the boot is on the other foot and he's being asked that question he hasn't got a clue either.

You really couldn't make it up.

I'm sure in your usual style, you will go scratting around looking for this comment, with nothing better to do. Don't think you will find it though, but keep making things up  mackems.gif

i see your marvellous DOF system is working really well these days ?

What a typically unoriginal reply from you, is this where I say about you admitting Dennis Wise's signings blew your socks off?

EDIT - Btw a quick search of the word guaranteed by you throws up plenty of shit like this...

"Also please tell us, who in your opinion, meets your criteria to run the club and is guaranteed to improve our performance over the last decade where only 4 clubs have a higher average league position and qualified more for europe ?

As you insist you know best, go ahead and prove it."

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=28620.msg541938#msg541938

So now I've shown you to be a liar, can you name people who will come in with the money to buy the club and are guaranteed to move it forward?

As you insist you know best, go ahead and prove it.

"meets the criteria" ? Abramovic ? Bill Gates ? Realistic or not ?

matthew lad, I reckon you too should admit that your marvellous DOF system has failed, and instead of commenting on me, comment on where I've made your mate mick to be a liar, unless you too have a personality driven agenda ?

All I know, is that Ashley has not been a good owner, so replacing him with better will be an easier job that replacing the Halls and Shepherd with better  bluelaugh.gif

As YOU were one of those who appeared to suggest that replacing the Halls and Shepherd with better would be easy, please explain why it hasn't been the case.

Or better still, bugger off and play on the internet with your phone or something. Or throw a strop ie throw your toys out of the pram again, the very thing you accuse Keegan of doing.

I've no intention of getting into a row with you and getting banned again by the way. So thats it I'm afraid. You can go back onto the Spurs message boards telling them how wonderful they are, and how pleased you are that we are following their lead.

Still avoiding the question I see.

Name these people who are going to buy this club that are guaranteed to do better, as you insist you know best, go ahead and prove it.

Also if you knew Ashley was going to be so bad then why did you rush out and sell your shares to him at the first chance you got? Or signing up to his 3 year deal?

No surprise to see you waffling rubbish to try and avoid answering the question, no comment on me proving you a liar either, don't worry though Steve we don't want your toys coming out of the pram again. mackems.gif

haha.........as if I was able to hold onto my few shares when Ashley bought over 90% and enforced the sale.  Are you always so dumb ?

Why didn't you buy any by the way ? Were you just about to embark on the 100 games you've seen in your life in 27 years  bluelaugh.gif

I don't know who will take over the club, but its easier to improve on someone doing badly than someone doing well.

Bye.

You sold long before you had to, in fact you couldn't wait to sell to Ashley.

I didn't buy any because it would have been a waste of money, as shown on the amount you lost when you sold them I was right.

You're a liar, I've already proven it in this thread.

So you can't name someone who will be guaranteed to move the club forward like Ashley moved us forward based on league position last season? I would have thought a smart bloke like yourself who can remember a song sung in 1977 would be all over this. mackems.gif

I'll leave it there Steve as I can see your toys are coming out of the pram, the last thing I want is for you to piss in your rocking chair again. mackems.gif

Bye bye. :-*

see first link, and read down further in the thread.

Liar.

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=40533.msg842563#msg842563

also see this for interest

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=40533.msg865510#msg865510

Bye

He spent £10m on Coloccini. Where was the fool-proof residual value in that?

There is plenty, Spurs signed Berba at 25(1 year younger than Colo) & after 2 seasons  they are getting £30 million. Of course being a Newcaslte defender usually means you leave free or at vastly reduced reduced price from what we paid...I see your point :thup:

Anyone know the last couple of defenders we have bought & then sold for a profit? I think Faye this year was one, before him?

There is plenty, Spurs signed Berba at 25(1 year younger than Colo) & after 2 seasons  they are getting £30 million. Of course being a Newcaslte defender usually means you leave free or at vastly reduced reduced price from what we paid...I see your point :thup:

Anyone know the last couple of defenders we have bought & then sold for a profit? I think Faye this year was one, before him?

I thought we got what we paid for Faye? Although why we sold him at all is beyond me. Woodgate is the role model for money made on defenders I think you'll find.

Bye.

Of course you're not a liar, you're not Leazes either are you or that bloke who rated Souness so highly and you didn't get backed up on here by your brother, it was a total stranger, no, you're not a proven liar. :lol:

Think we made profits, or close to our money back on Dumas, Charvet, Domi, Goma & Pistone.

I thought we got what we paid for Faye? Although why we sold him at all is beyond me. Woodgate is the role model for money made on defenders I think you'll find.

I had a look on Wiki & it seems to suggest we made £250K

Woodgate :thup:

Think we made profits, or close to our money back on Dumas, Charvet, Domi, Goma & Pistone.

I dont think we did on Goma. Do you reckon we did on the rest?

:thup:

I dont think we did on Goma. Do you reckon we did on the rest?

:thup:

I'm pretty sure we got the same money back from PSG for Domi, and I know we sold Charvet & Dumas for about double their price (bought for under £750k, and sold for around £1.5m).

Bye.

Of course you're not a liar, you're not Leazes either are you or that bloke who rated Souness so highly and you didn't get backed up on here by your brother, it was a total stranger, no, you're not a proven liar. :lol:

no, I didn't make a post saying "how highly I rated Souness", and you won't find it either. I admit I was happy with Allardyce though, and not spinning shit like you do saying you never rated Dalglish [luckily before we all started chatting on message boards], which I'm betting is a lie just like you and this Gordon Lee business.

so you're happy you have what you wished for ? Are you going to lie about it or admit it ?

You aren't really a long term supporter of the club either are you ?