Mike Ashley - Newcastle's best ever chairman/owner.

Benwell Lad

Guest Mucky01

We don't actually know what those well publicised talks were about, do we? We can assume it was about coming back if we want.

that’s the point, we don’t know what the talks were about (“well publicised” are you kidding Edd!), what we do know are the clear contradictions in Ashley’s employment terms towards Keegan, the rest is pure speculation.

We also know when Keegan started to become unhappy with the situation. Its the same time that it appeared in the press, April 08.

You remember the Chelsea outburst? The comments about how clever Mike Ashley was as 'if i said something different than previously, he would pick me up on it'?

That evidence, which is in the 'Media thread' in this very forum, suggests that the terms of his employment were not 'all of a sudden' not to his liking.

Whether those terms changed or not, one thing is clear, if the much vaunted principles of a man who professes to love the club were at stake, they were at stake in April 08 and that waiting to September 08 only served to damage the club.

That doesnt back up the view that everyone had a lovely cosy agreement that suddenly became undermined on 31st August 08.

The picture is much murkier than some simplistic analysis of media statements whose primary purpose was to sell an image of the club to the outside world.

agreed.

Guest Mucky01

We don't actually know what those well publicised talks were about, do we? We can assume it was about coming back if we want.

that’s the point, we don’t know what the talks were about (“well publicised” are you kidding Edd!), what we do know are the clear contradictions in Ashley’s employment terms towards Keegan, the rest is pure speculation.

So, assuming Keegan was happy to work within the clubs structure, are you saying he still couldn't have come back for legal reasons?

It looks like the terms offered were unreasonable to Keegan and were not to the terms of his employment, thus being a constructive dismissal and so engaging the legal stand-off.

His walking has been supported by other managers responses, saying they it would not be acceptable to them including, Curbishley, O’Neill, Ferguson, Wenger, Benitez, etc.

Well that's lovely to hear, but is completely irrelevant to the question which you've ignored as I suspected you would.

You said "he couldn’t because of the legal implications, even if he wanted to." and I'm saying bullshit.   Keegan isn't here because, for whatever reasons, he doesn't want to be.  True or false?

the question itself is irrelevant and inapplicable because of the legal implications, Keegan and NUFC could not work together because of the legal impasse.

How is that so difficult to understand?

Do you do divorce stuff as well ?

never back down eh, even when owned.

Is that more legal jargon cos I don't really understand what you mean ?

Imagine that phrase in a courtroom.

Tom C to Jack N 'blah blah blah'

Jack N 'You want the Truth? You can't handle the truth!'

Tom C ' Never back down eh? Even when you're owned!'

(and shouldn't that be pwned seeing as we are on the interweb thingy?)

fair enough, if someone has been shown that they are wrong, it’s ‘pwned’, I accept my ignorance.

thats the point, we dont know what the talks were about (well publicised are you kidding Edd!), what we do know are the clear contradictions in Ashleys employment terms towards Keegan, the rest is pure speculation.

So, assuming Keegan was happy to work within the clubs structure, are you saying he still couldn't have come back for legal reasons?

It looks like the terms offered were unreasonable to Keegan and were not to the terms of his employment, thus being a constructive dismissal and so engaging the legal stand-off.

His walking has been supported by other managers responses, saying they it would not be acceptable to them including, Curbishley, ONeill, Ferguson, Wenger, Benitez, etc.

Well that's lovely to hear, but is completely irrelevant to the question which you've ignored as I suspected you would.

You said "he couldnt because of the legal implications, even if he wanted to." and I'm saying bullshit.   Keegan isn't here because, for whatever reasons, he doesn't want to be.  True or false?

the question itself is irrelevant and inapplicable because of the legal implications, Keegan and NUFC could not work together because of the legal impasse.

How is that so difficult to understand?

Do you do divorce stuff as well ?

never back down eh, even when owned.

There are no bloody legal reasons why Keegan could not take it in the interim get that through your head.  The only thing that could stop Keegan taking over is some form of ban for an offence in newcastle much like Joey Barton.  I doubt Keegan did that.  Any contractual agreement preventing his return could be anulled if agreed by both fucking parties.

No, once they started legal action against each other, they could no longer work together, end.

Stop talking absolute bollocks like Colo's Short and Curlies said it's not a criminal case both parties could end it.  If you show me some evidence I'll believe you but you can't because you're talking shite so stop going on about it, you're making yourself look like an idiot.

Guest Mucky01

No, once they started legal action against each other, they could no longer work together, end.

They could stop the legal action at any time

True, but while they in the process of legal action against each other, which they are (and this clearly isn’t going to change), they can no longer work together.

Apologies for any my miscommunication.

They could stop the legal action at any time

True, but while they in the process of legal action against each other, which they are (and this clearly isnt going to change), they can no longer work together.

Apologies for any my miscommunication.

I can see what you are trying to say, but lets go back to the beginning here to clear up this mess.

(1) Keegan is taking the club to court for construcitve dismissal (no evidence that this is happening but the scenario assumed it was)

(2) Reason for constructive dismissal is Wise (for simplicity)

(3) Keegan can not return to club as it would render his case impotent (this is where you end)

(4) Scenario put forward that KK is happy to return (you say he cant due to steps 1-3)

(5) (The clever bit) as KK is happy he drops case and returns to club.

Guest Mucky01

or,

(6) the club back down and let KK return on the terms initially agreed.

– back to square one.

See (4) Scenario put forward that KK is happy to return

sorry I misread, clearly at an impasse though.

Whether or not Keegan had come back under duress to manage the team until it was sold (and we have no idea how long that will take) it doesn't change the fact that we have a threadbare squad which has been exposed by the current injuries & suspensions, or take away the fact that everyone at the club will be unsettled due to the owner looking to sell up. Keegan may have been able to coax the team into getting a few more points from the past few games, but it's by no means certain that even he could have gotten anything more out of the current midfield.

I don't get this Keegan walked out at the worst possible time argument either. Had Keegan left earlier, say in July after Jonas & Guthrie or even before then, would supporter reaction have been any different? I don't see why, maybe it would not have been as vociferous as there would be less people feeling conned for buying 3 year STs, but there would have been protests none the less. Would Ashley have reacted differently? Again, I don't see why he would. Disgruntled supporters would have more easily been able to hit the club financially by not buying season tickets. So I don't see how we would not have been in the situation we are now, but during the transfer window. How many of the players we did get in would have signed coming into that situation? How many more existing players would have put in transfer requests? I can only see how it could have been far, far worse if Keegan had left before the end of the transfer window.

If he'd stayed on until January say, we would have struggled along, probably lower mid table (he's not a miracle worker). What happens when he leaves then? We would very probably go into the same freefall we are in now, but with less of the season to rectify the situation, and at the time when the other teams at the bottom typically start to up their game. Far more likely to get relegated in that situation IMO than we are now when there is plenty of time for new ownership to come in and stabilise things.

Although I'm not saying any of this thought went into Keegan's decision (how could he have forseen Ashley selling up at the first sign of a misspelt banner), knowing what we do now about the reactions on both sides of the fence (supporters & Ashley), I can't think of a less damaging time that Keegan could have left.

A lot of the statements on here seem to be based on the premise that because he's the owner, everything that's happened must be his fault.

There was a lot that he got right. But a Chairman once said that all the decisions that he made paled into significance beside the one concerning the choice of manager. And Ashley got that wrong, at least for the plan that he had in mind.

Where he can't be blamed is for the manner and timing of Keegan's departure, which has caused so much damage. Keegan has a lot to answer for there.

Once again Bob you've got it spot on.

I loved KK and hoped it would work out, but his appointment was Ashley's big mistake. I will now never forgive Keegan for the way he walked out, sure things didn't suit him but he could have been man enough to stay with the team and fans he allegedly loved while a sensible resolution was worked on. It appears that in the days following his walkout Ashley tried everything possible to find a compromise but Keegans only concern was attempting to preserve his pay off. Hence King Kev has said nothing to enlighten those he supposedly loved.

“Ashley tried everything possible to find a compromise” in your mind yes, to the vast majority Ashley didn’t compromise rather he refused to limit the mess caused by Derek Llambias (and possibly from Dennis Wise), putting Keegan in a situation most managers would have walked from – if you don’t know the many supporting facts by now that substantiate this, then your are a deluded idiot.

Others are keeping an open mind until they hear the facts – which in your case you don’t have any facts to back your argument other than: you support Ashley who is walking out – and you hate Keegan for walking out.

Keegan (nor should Ashley but he tried and failed) can’t “enlighten” anyone because of the legal complications, so why chastise him for that until you know the facts? The question that is still to be answered is why did Keegan leave?

Until you post your opinions based on any facts you just end up looking like you’re just blindly kissing Ashley’s arse.

To be fair to Ashley most people would leave if 50000 people wanted them to and threats of physical violence are involved.  Even a bloke that looks like Ashley's been attacked.  Do you expect him to bring his kids to games and sit in a stadium of 52000 people shouting abuse at him?  Keegan maybe should have walked but once Ashley came out and said he was selling he should have come back in the interim at least.  If he loved the club as much as people think he wouldn't be able to watch us fall down in this manner.  I'm not pro-ashley or anti keegan but our fans and I'm including you in this  based on your post have made us look like a bunch of retards who are living in the past.... again

I was happy with Ashley, good if only a few signings, the finances where starting to be in order and we had a decent chance of achieving something,  he should of sanctioned the deals KK wanted but I've heard many a rumour saying Keegan turned down alot of the picks Jimenez, Vetere and Wise made and we'd have made a much more significant investment had he sanctioned them.  Keegan was out of the game for too long and needed the back up on the transfer front, nothing should have went over his head but Vetere (who targets said players) is said to be one of the best scout's in the world. 

I hope this takeover goes through soon so we can put this mess behind us and hopefully the world will forget the stigma that we have that we are retards but I doubt it as we'll still have the same twats outside SJP talking about things they have no information on, mis-spelling signs and generally talking bollocks.

do you mean the 2nd division [ie whatever its called these days], or matching the european qualifications ?

Nowt like making out the old regime did absolutely nothing.

A lot of the statements on here seem to be based on the premise that because he's the owner, everything that's happened must be his fault.

There was a lot that he got right. But a Chairman once said that all the decisions that he made paled into significance beside the one concerning the choice of manager. And Ashley got that wrong, at least for the plan that he had in mind.

Where he can't be blamed is for the manner and timing of Keegan's departure, which has caused so much damage. Keegan has a lot to answer for there.

I loved KK and hoped it would work out, but his appointment was Ashley's big mistake. I will now never forgive Keegan for the way he walked out, sure things didn't suit him but he could have been man enough to stay with the team and fans he allegedly loved while a sensible resolution was worked on. It appears that in the days following his walkout Ashley tried everything possible to find a compromise but Keegans only concern was attempting to preserve his pay off. Hence King Kev has said nothing to enlighten those he supposedly loved.

Ashley tried everything possible to find a compromise in your mind yes, to the vast majority Ashley didnt compromise rather he refused to limit the mess caused by Derek Llambias (and possibly from Dennis Wise), putting Keegan in a situation most managers would have walked from if you dont know the many supporting facts by now that substantiate this, then your are a deluded idiot.

Others are keeping an open mind until they hear the facts which in your case you dont have any facts to back your argument other than: you support Ashley who is walking out and you hate Keegan for walking out.

Keegan (nor should Ashley but he tried and failed) cant enlighten anyone because of the legal complications, so why chastise him for that until you know the facts? The question that is still to be answered is why did Keegan leave?

Until you post your opinions based on any facts you just end up looking like youre just blindly kissing Ashleys arse.

To be fair to Ashley most people would leave if 50000 people wanted them to and threats of physical violence are involved.  Even a bloke that looks like Ashley's been attacked.  Do you expect him to bring his kids to games and sit in a stadium of 52000 people shouting abuse at him?  Keegan maybe should have walked but once Ashley came out and said he was selling he should have come back in the interim at least.  If he loved the club as much as people think he wouldn't be able to watch us fall down in this manner.  I'm not pro-ashley or anti keegan but our fans and I'm including you in this  based on your post have made us look like a bunch of retards who are living in the past.... again

I was happy with Ashley, good if only a few signings, the finances where starting to be in order and we had a decent chance of achieving something,  he should of sanctioned the deals KK wanted but I've heard many a rumour saying Keegan turned down alot of the picks Jimenez, Vetere and Wise made and we'd have made a much more significant investment had he sanctioned them.  Keegan was out of the game for too long and needed the back up on the transfer front, nothing should have went over his head but Vetere (who targets said players) is said to be one of the best scout's in the world. 

I hope this takeover goes through soon so we can put this mess behind us and hopefully the world will forget the stigma that we have that we are retards but I doubt it as we'll still have the same twats outside SJP talking about things they have no information on, mis-spelling signs and generally talking bollocks.

do you mean the 2nd division [ie whatever its called these days], or matching the european qualifications ?

I mean't we had a chance of bettering last season and having some fun for once.  I loved watching that run we went on under Keegan towards the end of the season and we started in a similar vein.  I also said nowt about the previous regime unless you consider Ashley to be the previous regime.

Guest elbee909

Ashley tried everything possible to find a compromise in your mind yes, to the vast majority Ashley didnt compromise rather he refused to limit the mess caused by Derek Llambias (and possibly from Dennis Wise), putting Keegan in a situation most managers would have walked from if you dont know the many supporting facts by now that substantiate this, then your are a deluded idiot.

Others are keeping an open mind until they hear the facts which in your case you dont have any facts to back your argument other than: you support Ashley who is walking out and you hate Keegan for walking out.

Keegan (nor should Ashley but he tried and failed) cant enlighten anyone because of the legal complications, so why chastise him for that until you know the facts? The question that is still to be answered is why did Keegan leave?

Until you post your opinions based on any facts you just end up looking like youre just blindly kissing Ashleys arse.

I mean't we had a chance of bettering last season and having some fun for once.  I loved watching that run we went on under Keegan towards the end of the season and we started in a similar vein.  I also said nowt about the previous regime unless you consider Ashley to be the previous regime.

By not mentioning the old regime you obviously have an agenda against it.  Eh? :lol:

Allardyce moaning about Ashley and making excuses for his dismal reign again...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article1775330.ece

SAM ALLARDYCE reckons Newcastle owner Mike Ashley was only ever in it for the money.

Ashley has always rubbished claims of wanting to cash in instantly on the club before being forced to jump ship following Kevin Keegan’s controversial exit.

But Allardyce, who was sacked by the Toon supremo after just six months in charge, claims the billionaire’s sole intention WAS to make a quick buck.

Big Sam cannot believe the mess Ashley has made with Newcastle third from bottom and said: “It is going from bad to horrendous now.

“There is a part of me that makes me think I’m glad I’m out of it. It is crystal clear now what the motives were for Mike Ashley.

“I think, in the end, he did buy the club in the hope he thought he could quickly sell it on for a vast profit.

“What I did wasn’t in the same line as him. I was in it for the long term.

“I was in it for a four-year contract and the building of a football club that over the years had declined.”

Ashley hopes to find out today which bidders are serious about helping him quit the Geordies.

But SunSport understands it could take until Christmas before everything is completed.

Allardyce has been shocked at the meltdown at St James’ Park.

He added: “They finished 14th under Glenn Roeder, the year I took over, and when I left they were 11th.

“There was no danger of relegation — we were 12 or 13 points from the relegation zone.

“When I was there this time last year, we had the best start in 10 years and I think people lose sight of that.

“As a manager you always blame yourself first because you’re the one in charge.

“But in the six months I was there we worked tremendously hard and put a fantastic backroom staff in charge.

“Then we needed the players and the players just didn’t materialise because the money didn’t materialise to buy the sort of players the passionate fans demand so much.

"We only had a net spend of £9million. I thought Kevin Keegan was going to get that money but he never did.

“The continuous sales and players moving in and out over the summer obviously caused Kevin to conclude the job was untenable and the club was thrown into chaos.”

It has been chaos all the way since Joe Kinnear took over as interim boss.

But he was breathing a sigh of relief last night after escaping an FA charge for breaking touchline-ban rules.

Kinnear tried to get messages to the dugout during Sunday’s 2-2 draw at Everton before the fourth official instructed a police officer to send him away.

His presence in the tunnel was reported by ref Howard Webb.

But Soho Square chiefs will only give the former Wimbledon chief a slap on the wrist by reminding him of the rules.

Kinnear is being forced to wait for an answer from former Spurs boss Gerry Francis about a part-time coaching role.

Francis would help on the training ground twice a week but he has a similar role at Stoke and is unsure about taking up the Toon offer.

what a load of rot.

Ref your first paragraph - plenty of people have said in the past, when it suited them, everything stops with the owner [personally I don't necessarily agree] but why move the goalposts ?

2nd paragraph - I really don't think he did too much right at all

3rd para - of course he's to blame. He even had a chance to reverse the situation but didn't. The manager is his most important employee, so how the hell can you absove him of any blame

:lol:

what a load of rot.

Ref your first paragraph - plenty of people have said in the past, when it suited them, everything stops with the owner [personally I don't necessarily agree] but why move the goalposts ?

3rd para - of course he's to blame. He even had a chance to reverse the situation but didn't. The manager is his most important employee, so how the hell can you absove him of any blame

< sigh >

please tell us what you disagree with and why

what a load of rot.

< sigh >

please tell us what you disagree with and why

No mate, it's not that I disagree necessarily. I just found it funny that you made sure to cover all your bases from criticism with a good all-round use of the English language. Everything here is Ashley's fault, yet not everything was Shepherd's fault.

edit: I thought bobyule's post was very reasoned, and told it like it is

what a load of rot.

mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif

what a load of rot.

3rd para - of course he's to blame. He even had a chance to reverse the situation but didn't. The manager is his most important employee, so how the hell can you absove him of any blame .

NE5 decoded:

The owner is to blame for everything, except when the owners are Hall and Shepherd.

Ashley was wrong to appoint Keegan, whereas Shepherd was right to appoint Souness.

(Insert emoticon for someone talking out their arse here -->  )