Coloccini wants out; Sevilla confirm interest

Guest Howaythetoon

Guest Howaythetoon

Naturally fans are inclined to big up "bright stars" in an otherwise dark sky which Bassong has been, especially with youngsters who show a good appetite and didn't cost a great deal, hallmarks of his emergence, but we need to be careful not to get ourselves carried away because with such players it can easily go tits up or should that be Titus/Tayls up...

Treat his emergence as a bonus, nothing more.

Guest fraser

Against Liverpool Coloccini disappointed me the most, which is not to blame him for the outcome. Drawn into midfield by the lummox Kuyt, leaving space for Gerrard, or whoever, to run into, defending poorly at set pieces and just having a stinker. Still a good player though.

Guest Howaythetoon

Colo is class and still learning his trade over here. Still have a lot of faith in him but it's certainly Bassong out of the two who's looked the £10m defender

Bassong doesn't look nor has performed like a £10m defender - he is performing like a young player with no fear, playing on confidence due to playing regularly with an added bit of spotlight on him not because he's been simply outstanding but because the rest or most of those alongside him are either performing crap or not so well as they can do making him seem all the more better. He's playing reasonably well and showing promise, nothing more.

Who are these people around him playing crap?

Err, the team? Surely that didn't need explained. If I was going to be specific I'd have said the defence or named the individuals. I'm talking about the team in general performing crap either performances wise or results wise while Bassong has performed well, although nowhere near well enough to deserve "looks like a £10m player" or predictions of a future great. I exaggerate of course... along with a good few in here regarding his performances and potential.

Colo is class and still learning his trade over here. Still have a lot of faith in him but it's certainly Bassong out of the two who's looked the £10m defender

Bassong doesn't look nor has performed like a £10m defender - he is performing like a young player with no fear, playing on confidence due to playing regularly with an added bit of spotlight on him not because he's been simply outstanding but because the rest or most of those alongside him are either performing crap or not so well as they can do making him seem all the more better. He's playing reasonably well and showing promise, nothing more.

Err, the team? Surely that didn't need explained. If I was going to be specific I'd have said the defence or named the individuals. I'm talking about the team in general performing crap either performances wise or results wise while Bassong has performed well, although nowhere near well enough to deserve "looks like a £10m player" or predictions of a future great. I exaggerate of course... along with a good few in here regarding his performances and potential.

Funny that because I thought the team done well away to Chelsea and Boro, the whole team played well against Portsmouth and in the first half against Stoke too.

What game were you thinking about where he was really good and the rest of the team were shite?

Beye, Coloccini and Bassong all looked very assured in the same defence, the clean sheets despite the woeful midfield speak for themselves.

Bassong's performance's against Chelsea, Spurs and Portsmouth show more then promise tbh, he's shown excellent physicality, discipline, and game reading abilities. Happy to agree with Kinnear on this one, he's been an absolute revelation

Guest Howaythetoon

Funny that because I thought the team done well away to Chelsea and Boro, the whole team played well against Portsmouth and in the first half against Stoke too.

What game were you thinking about where he was really good and the rest of the team were s****?

OK then a player surrounded by a defence playing well, will err, actually play well. The same applies. My point is that we can't or shouldn't be making anything of it really, not to the length of claiming he's a 10m player or going to be this and that or that he's playing like a beast. He's playing well enough without being outstanding although he was very good against Spurs. Knock yourselves out though.

What game were you thinking about where he was really good and the rest of the team were s****?

OK then a player surrounded by a defence playing well, will err, actually play well. The same applies. My point is that we can't or shouldn't be making anything of it really, not to the length of claiming he's a 10m player or going to be this and that or that he's playing like a beast. He's playing well enough without being outstanding although he was very good against Spurs. Knock yourselves out though.

Of course the same doesn't apply, one minute you're claiming that he's playing well because everyone around him is playing shit and now you're claiming he's playing well because all of the defence is playing well.

You're talking fucking rubbish basically.

I like Coloccini, Typical foreign centre half with a "hands on approach" however he has great feet and good understanding of the game.

As for Bassong, he's a good young lad but we need someone of a bigger stature, with more experiance playing alongside Coloccini. Bassong should be serving his apprenticeship in our squad, learning the trade and having a bit part.

We made the mistake of thinking Taylor is better than he is and he hasn't improved in the way we had hoped, let's not do the same thing with Seba. I'm not saying he should be dropped but he should not be in our starting 11 come the start of next season.

Guest Howaythetoon

Of course the same doesn't apply, one minute you're claiming that he's playing well because everyone around him is playing s*** and now you're claiming he's playing well because all of the defence is playing well.

You're talking f***ing rubbish basically.

:lol:

The team is playing shite so because he isn't, he stands out even more where as when the defence is playing well, it stands to reason so will he be as he's a feature of that defence. Again nothing should be drawn from that other than a young player full of confidence, playing regularly in a shit site, is looking good. There is nothing special about that or significant because its quite typical where as Bassong's form isn't because he hasn't been here long enough or done anything of note for his form or ability to be regarded as typical which is what people are basically saying, that this is the typical mark of a top player or a future great and therefore he is that or will be that. Fuck me its hard work on here.

Of course the same doesn't apply, one minute you're claiming that he's playing well because everyone around him is playing s*** and now you're claiming he's playing well because all of the defence is playing well.

The team is playing shite so because he isn't, he stands out even more where as when the defence is playing well, it stands to reason so will he be as he's a feature of that defence. Again nothing should be drawn from that other than a young player full of confidence, playing regularly in a shit site, is looking good. There is nothing special about that or significant because its quite typical where as Bassong's form isn't because he hasn't been here long enough or done anything of note for his form or ability to be regarded as typical which is what people are basically saying, that this is the typical mark of a top player or a future great and therefore he is that or will be that. Fuck me its hard work on here.

So now you're saying he stands out when the team is playing shite but stands out even more when the defence is playing well?

So he stands out whatever the circumstances then. :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

The team is playing s**** so because he isn't, he stands out even more where as when the defence is playing well, it stands to reason so will he be as he's a feature of that defence. Again nothing should be drawn from that other than a young player full of confidence, playing regularly in a s*** site, is looking good. There is nothing special about that or significant because its quite typical where as Bassong's form isn't because he hasn't been here long enough or done anything of note for his form or ability to be regarded as typical which is what people are basically saying, that this is the typical mark of a top player or a future great and therefore he is that or will be that. f*** me its hard work on here.

So now you're saying he stands out when the team is playing s**** but stands out even more when the defence is playing well?

If you can't read a finer point that's your problem and all the Lols in the world won't hide the fact you can't grasp what has been laid out for you, Lol.

I like Coloccini, Typical foreign centre half with a "hands on approach" however he has great feet and good understanding of the game.

As for Bassong, he's a good young lad but we need someone of a bigger stature, with more experiance playing alongside Coloccini. Bassong should be serving his apprenticeship in our squad, learning the trade and having a bit part.

We made the mistake of thinking Taylor is better than he is and he hasn't improved in the way we had hoped, let's not do the same thing with Seba. I'm not saying he should be dropped but he should not be in our starting 11 come the start of next season.

why do we need someone with a bigger stature? Bassong is strong enough, big enough and has the pace to go with it

and if he proves himself this season, why shouldn't he start next season? Taylor has been in the team for years under the premise that he CAN improve - very few people have suggest he's ever been the finished article, and if they have, they're fucking insance basically.

The team is playing s**** so because he isn't, he stands out even more where as when the defence is playing well, it stands to reason so will he be as he's a feature of that defence. Again nothing should be drawn from that other than a young player full of confidence, playing regularly in a s*** site, is looking good. There is nothing special about that or significant because its quite typical where as Bassong's form isn't because he hasn't been here long enough or done anything of note for his form or ability to be regarded as typical which is what people are basically saying, that this is the typical mark of a top player or a future great and therefore he is that or will be that. f*** me its hard work on here.

So now you're saying he stands out when the team is playing s**** but stands out even more when the defence is playing well?

If you can't read a finer point that's your problem and all the Lols in the world won't hide the fact you can't grasp what has been laid out for you, Lol.

Nobody has said he's a future great though, they just note that he's come in and played well both as an individiual and as part of a defensive unit.

You seem to be making a fuss over nothing.

Because when he has played at centre back the whole back four have been playing well, not just as individuals but as a unit, apart from Enrique who has the odd stinker.

You make it sound like when he has played the rest of the defence have been awful.

Most of the team are poor or we would not be where are. You were slamming Beye not so long ago saying Chimpmunk at Sunderland is better than him.

Because when he has played at centre back the whole back four have been playing well, not just as individuals but as a unit, apart from Enrique who has the odd stinker.

You make it sound like when he has played the rest of the defence have been awful.

Most of the team are poor or we would not be where are. You were slamming Beye not so long ago saying Chimpmunk at Sunderland is better than him.

Because Beye is awful going forward, which doesn't give us options when we attack.

Since Bassong has came in we've looked much better as a unit, I'm not sure how people can dispute that but I understand the Taylor fanboys have to try.

Guest Howaythetoon

Because Beye is awful going forward, which doesn't give us options when we attack.

Since Bassong has came in we've looked much better as a unit, I'm not sure how people can dispute that but I understand the Taylor fanboys have to try.

When was this then? The times the defence has looked any good has been away from home when low and behold all 11 ment played behind the ball and we played for a draw, i.e. Boro, Chelsea. Portsmouth away? They created numerous chances and the defence was all over the place at times like it has been consistently save those clean sheet games against Boro and Chelsea. Individually certain players played well defensively against Portsmouth but as a unit the defence were nothing special. Bassong playing instead of Taylor hasn't shored up the defence any more further as it is still all over the place hence all those goals against and lack of wins as we can't keep teams out, which you seem to be claiming. Bassong is playing better than Taylor but Taylor not being in the side hasn't shored it up and neither has Bassong being in it which actually what this is all about, Taylor, isn't it Baggio?

When was this then? The times the defence has looked any good has been away from home when low and behold all 11 ment played behind the ball and we played for a draw, i.e. Boro, Chelsea. Portsmouth away? They created numerous chances and the defence was all over the place at times like it has been consistently save those clean sheet games against Boro and Chelsea. Individually certain players played well defensively against Posrtmouth but as a unit the defence were nothing special.

Against Portsmouth all of our defenders played well with Colo and Bassong covering each other when needed.

The only way you could say they didn't defend well as a unit was because they were not tested enough.

Your clutching at straws claiming others people are  fan boy. Read up this thread I have said Bassong is our best defender & he leads it, which I noticed sitting closer to pitch level recently. Colo when he doesn't have the pace & leadership of Bassong next to him is exposed as the average/poor player none of the 4 clubs he was at for a season wanted to sign. We all know Jose is only playing because there is nee one else.  

No need to lash out at me because NE5 has rinsed you a few times today O0

Your clutching at straws claiming others people are  fan boy. Read up this thread I have said Bassong is our best defender & he leads it, which I noticed sitting closer to pitch level recently. Colo when he doesn't have the pace & leadership of Bassong next to him is exposed as the average/poor player none of the 4 clubs he was at for a season wanted to sign. We all know Jose is only playing because there is nee one else.  

rinsed me where? Or is it because you don't like being called a Taylor fanboy? :lol:

The fact is we've looked better with bassong partnering Colo, if you agree with that which seems to be the case then what are you arguing about?

Guest Howaythetoon

When was this then? The times the defence has looked any good has been away from home when low and behold all 11 ment played behind the ball and we played for a draw, i.e. Boro, Chelsea. Portsmouth away? They created numerous chances and the defence was all over the place at times like it has been consistently save those clean sheet games against Boro and Chelsea. Individually certain players played well defensively against Posrtmouth but as a unit the defence were nothing special.

Against Portsmouth all of our defenders played well with Colo and Bassong covering each other when needed.

The only way you could say they didn't defend well as a unit was because they were not tested enough.

Thats 2 defenders not a whole defense, I watched that game and time and time again Crouch and Defoe either got through or caused us problems, Shay having to make several saves. Only after the break when we pushed up and they sat off a bit did we keep them at bay and get at them with their defence all over the place like ours was, i.e. we were doing to them what they did to us. It was far from an impressive defensive display and while both Colo and Bassong done well, they were hardly magnificent.

rinsed me where? Or is it because you don't like being called a Taylor fanboy? :lol:

The fact is we've looked better with bassong partnering Colo, if you agree with that which seems to be the case then what are you arguing about?

I am really not that bothered if you refer to me as a fanboy or not, I would of been upset maybe if I was 10 years old but I do know you take your NE5 rucks seriously.

I was really posting in the Coloccini thread about Colo being average at best. O0

Thats 2 defenders not a whole defense, I watched that game and time and time again Crouch and Defoe either got through or caused us problems, Shay having to make several saves. Only after the break when we pushed up and they sat off a bit did we keep them at bay and get at them with their defence all over the place like ours was, i.e. we were doing to them what they did to us. It was far from an impressive defensive display and while both Colo and Bassong done well, they were hardly magnificent.

They only had 3 shots on goal all match and one of those was a deflected shot off Butt and Colo before Given saved.

We handled them well and Portsmouth were mostly shooting from distance because they couldn't get through.

Guest Howaythetoon

They only had 3 shots on goal all match and one of those was a deflected shot off Butt and Colo before Given saved.

We handled them well and Portsmouth were mostly shooting from distance because they couldn't get through.

Bollocks they were being invited to shoot (Crouch, Defoe, even Johnson I think( because our defence were running back scared and all over the shop.

Bollocks they were being invited to shoot (Crouch, Defoe, even Johnson I think( because our defence were running back scared and all over the shop.

Why repeatedly shoot from distance if we could easily be broke down?

Guest Howaythetoon

Why repeatedly shoot from distance if we could easily be broke down?

Because Shay always concedes from long range[/Crumpy]

Seriously, how the heck would I know am I some kind of mind reader?!

I'll agree to disagree, I didn't see a top defensive performance as a unit that day or stellar performances from Colo and Bassong, just decent enough from those two.

Anyway 3 games where we shock horror kept a clean sheet is hardly turning the corner defensively is it? Not looking at that goals against column it ain't anyway.