Coloccini wants out; Sevilla confirm interest

Guest Howaythetoon

Got raped off Can't Control. Worrying.

Ah gerraway man. You were the one who made the thread about the Beye/Colo/Bassong/Enrique backline, praising it, and you were right. Colo's got his weaknesses but the entire defensive unit - from strikers to defenders - were pretty shoddy all day long. As i've said earlier, i cannot for the life of me understand why we didn't drop a yard or so back, when it was clear within the opening encounters that we might get skinned by a long ball or a counter-attack. Their second goal was a contribution of the two, on-rushing forward makes a good run and receives a good ball. It was only gonna need to happen once.

Kinnear always seems to play a very compressed formation with a very very high line. It's cost us some points imo.

Ah gerraway man. You were the one who made the thread about the Beye/Colo/Bassong/Enrique backline, praising it, and you were right. Colo's got his weaknesses but the entire defensive unit - from strikers to defenders - were pretty shoddy all day long. As i've said earlier, i cannot for the life of me understand why we didn't drop a yard or so back, when it was clear within the opening encounters that we might get skinned by a long ball or a counter-attack. Their second goal was a contribution of the two, on-rushing forward makes a good run and receives a good ball. It was only gonna need to happen once.

Kinnear always seems to play a very compressed formation with a very very high line. It's cost us some points imo.

I liked the attacking unit we had out in the first half, the wingers were high up the pitch and were very wide, and it was definitely working. The centre-halves though... they were too high up the pitch.

But like i say, everyone was responsible today. I like Geremi but i thought he was shite from a defensive point of view. Spread the play nicely when in possession but was either invisible or brushed aside when West Ham had the ball. Carroll played on the last man and didn't offer himself enough in our half. The wingers didn't track back as much. We just didn't defend as a team today. Colo had a bit of a mare, and i've seen him have one before, but i'm not worried by his form. Two or three more games like this then maybe.

I'm worried at how often a £10m+ defender is being dominated by very average strikers.

He's not worth £10m, that's just what it took to get him here. Every man and his dog on here knows that deep down, it's pointless bringing it up. OMG he's not worth £10m!!! Aye, we know...

The bottom line is that he's a decent defender, has his troubles, but could still get better with more time in the Premier League. He's been troubled by some sub-par strikers like Camara, Fuller, Cole... but I can remember him having tricky feckers like Carew, Anelka and Kalou in his back-pocket aswell.

You can say i'm making excuses for him but if we don't defend as a team, it's unfair for him to shoulder the responsibility of an entire backline. I'll grant you that - that is a tad worrying, because it shouldn't be happening - we should have bought someone else if that's what he was going to be brought in for. But i'm confident he'll improve in time, even though he's not a whippersnapper or anything. He's only been in this country a short while in fairness.

I'm worried at how often a £10m+ defender is being dominated by very average strikers.

Like Fuller?  Didn't have an answer to a ten bob striker. 

To be fair to the lad, we've seen it before when defenders come into a team, or a league and look poor in the first season, so ,as long as we are still here next year, I am looking to next year to judge him.  Unfortunately he's come into a team where the back four has just about picked itself due to the staff available and has had no respite since he came.

I just think when we have Beye, Bassong, Coloccini and Enrique we look pretty ok, because defensively they are all good in the air and on the ground. They all have pace, understanding and anticipation.

A bit harsh on Carlton Cole. He is very physical and strong striker and on his good days can cause problems for certain.

Coloccini at the moment tends to pick up the best strikers on the teams we face. I think its a big ask for him at the moment. Colo reminde me a bit of Carvalho, with a Terry type beside him i.e. bigger stronger experienced guy, he would be a lot better off. Colo will struggle against the Carlton Coles and Drogbas otherwise. I think it was an absolute tragedy we didn't keep Faye too partner Colo really.

Guest Jawesome

Thing is, where are we in terms of stature and stability?  We can't expect to be able to field the best centre half in the land.  Colo is good enough for us.

A bit harsh on Carlton Cole. He is very physical and strong striker and on his good days can cause problems for certain.

Coloccini at the moment tends to pick up the best strikers on the teams we face. I think its a big ask for him at the moment. Colo reminde me a bit of Carvalho, with a Terry type beside him i.e. bigger stronger experienced guy, he would be a lot better off. Colo will struggle against the Carlton Coles and Drogbas otherwise. I think it was an absolute tragedy we didn't keep Faye too partner Colo really.

From the replay, it looked like Taylor was meant to be marking Cole, and when Colo noticed that he slipped past Taylor, he tried to cover for him and it made him look quite bad.

Coloccini's 'mistake' today was to get caught out by a fantastic bit of movement and a good pass. If Beye had been there instead of Taylor the goal probably wouldn't have happened as one would have covered the other instead of concentrating hard on pointing the arm in the air at the crucial moment.

I`ve been reading through to see if anyone else noticed this. As I wasn`t at the match I only had match choice to go by but I`m sure Coloccini had his back to the danger whilst Taylor watched unfolding pointing to Colo to do something about it when it was quite clear if Taylor actually reacted rather than pointed he could have done somethng.  I think today highlighted Beye playing could have been the difference between a draw and a win today not just because of that one mistake.

Both goals would have been scored against top defences imo. You guys nit pick a bit too much as if good defenders don't ever concede goals, or concede only from stunning strikes! West Ham's goals were fantastic imo, and yes maybe only Taylor had a chance of picking up Cole who made a superbly timed run. I would say if anything Given should have been mopping up in exactly the same way Rob Green had done the entire match.

I haven't read the last page or so, but did anyone notice how well Coloccini managed to spring the offside trap on Bellamy every single time nearly? It definitely looked like a training ground plan, where the other 3 would stay up and let Coloccini be the one to make the decision to step out at the right moment.

He relies heavily on his timing and his reading of the game, because he's not very strong or quick. Most of the time he gets it right, but if he gets it wrong, there's no way back. His defending from set pieces is also pretty poor.

I don't think it's too early to judge now. He does a decent job and we've no-one better, but I'd like to see us get a new CB and try Colo in the DM position.

He relies heavily on his timing and his reading of the game, because he's not very strong or quick. Most of the time he gets it right, but if he gets it wrong, there's no way back. His defending from set pieces is also pretty poor.

I don't think it's too early to judge now. He does a decent job and we've no-one better, but I'd like to see us get a new CB and try Colo in the DM position.

Makes a lot of sense and offers support to 2 positions with just 1 signing. We just have to hope the management at NUFC have also seen his DM potential

I wouldn't mind him in midfield, as he's a good footballer, and has a pretty good passing range. Having said that, we finally have a solid stable (ish) defence for the first time in years, and seeing as it's only their first season together, I think the way they have performed is something to be proud of. At times they (as a unit) have struggled to hack the ball clear in recent games, but I think that's mental lethargy symptomatic of the whole team in phases. When they pick up their act and get on top of things, the rest of the team follows suit.

I'm not too unhappy with our defence, and I think the current 5 are good to take us into the near future. When Beye's long term replacement is found, I think they're good to take us well into the future, with Enrique potentially becoming the best of the lot.

A good reader of the game, but unfortunately not capable of matching forwards when beaten for pace...

He also gets caught on the wrong side of a forward's run, incorrectly guessing which direction the attacker will go.

To be fair, I think his confidence is shot to pieces in this team ; its his first season in the Prem and he has more assets as a defender than Jonas has as a forward in my opinion -  he is a good footballer...there are 3 decent defenders at the club, Beye Coloccini and Bassong, although I still want to see more of Bassong before I make my mind up fully. Taylor is erratic and prone to fouling....

The midfield is so poor that the defence often finds itself under tons of pressure as their colleagues give the ball away to the opposition, so they are going to make mistakes.

Time will tell whether Coloccini is up to it, but I reckon he could end up back in Spain.

To be fair yesterday, Taylor was at fault on quite a lot of occasions which made Colo look bad. Obviously Taylor was out of position at RB so can't be totally blamed. When Noble got clean through he played them all onside, likewise when Cole scored. Also he was closest man at that point, so should have been picking him up, not pointing and blaming. Also Taylor made a mistake when he needlessly shoved their player when Neill scored an own goal. All in all a poor day for him.

Saying that I still think Colo would be best deployed as our Defensive mid, he looks comfortable on the ball, has decent pace and strength and certainly is a much better player than Butt. With Taylor and Bassong at CB, Colo in CM I actually think we'd have a relatively solid spine.

Average yesterday, but you can't really blame him for the second goal.  Cole made a run in behind him unseen, while Taylor stood, watched Cole run past him and pointed.  I'll make allowances for Taylor if he makes a mistake playing in an unfamiliar position at right-back, but that had nothing to do with it in this situation.

Get a decent DM in front of them and I'm sure the whole of the back 4 will look like different players.  They are far too exposed ATM.

Guest neesy111

the main problem is the fact we can't defend as a team, we just let the opposition attack us and we only try to defend in our 1/3 of the pitch not all over the pitch as it should be

has anyone noticed at how scared we are to tackle in games as well, very worrying

A good reader of the game, but unfortunately not capable of matching forwards when beaten for pace...

He also gets caught on the wrong side of a forward's run, incorrectly guessing which direction the attacker will go.

To be fair, I think his confidence is shot to pieces in this team ; its his first season in the Prem and he has more assets as a defender than Jonas has as a forward in my opinion -  he is a good footballer...there are 3 decent defenders at the club, Beye Coloccini and Bassong, although I still want to see more of Bassong before I make my mind up fully. Taylor is erratic and prone to fouling....

The midfield is so poor that the defence often finds itself under tons of pressure as their colleagues give the ball away to the opposition, so they are going to make mistakes.

Time will tell whether Coloccini is up to it, but I reckon he could end up back in Spain.

I liked Colcinni at first, but since then I have started to think that he doesn't stand up enough for me, and is a bit too delicate to be a good central defender in the premiership.

Not saying he is shit, just that he lacks the above. Depends what you want from centre halfs I suppose, we have 3 good central defenders at the club but I prefer Taylor and Bassong.

Guest Howaythetoon

He's a soft fairy like, out muscled plenty of times yesterday and it infuriates me no end when players just back off which Colo did several times. He's an intelligent footballer, quite classy with time and space to his advantage, but too timid and too passive in his tackling, marking and positioning which are key aspects of football in England. I guess what I'm trying to say is that he lacks any kind of aggression in those 3 areas hence why average Premier League forwards are getting the better of him on an increasing basis worryingly.

He's a soft fairy like, out muscled plenty of times yesterday and it infuriates me no end when players just back off which Colo did several times. He's an intelligent footballer, quite classy with time and space to his advantage, but too timid and too passive in his tackling, marking and positioning which are key aspects of football in England. I guess what I'm trying to say is that he lacks any kind of aggression in those 3 areas hence why average Premier League forwards are getting the better of him on an increasing basis worryingly.

A worse Rio Ferdinand, perhaps.