Coloccini wants out; Sevilla confirm interest

Guest Howaythetoon

Colo is class and still learning his trade over here. Still have a lot of faith in him but it's certainly Bassong out of the two who's looked the £10m defender

Bassong doesn't look nor has performed like a £10m defender - he is performing like a young player with no fear, playing on confidence due to playing regularly with an added bit of spotlight on him not because he's been simply outstanding but because the rest or most of those alongside him are either performing crap or not so well as they can do making him seem all the more better. He's playing reasonably well and showing promise, nothing more.

Who are these people around him playing crap?

Because when he has played at centre back the whole back four have been playing well, not just as individuals but as a unit, apart from Enrique who has the odd stinker.

You make it sound like when he has played the rest of the defence have been awful.

Most of the team are poor or we would not be where are. You were slamming Beye not so long ago saying Chimpmunk at Sunderland is better than him.

Because Beye is awful going forward, which doesn't give us options when we attack.

Since Bassong has came in we've looked much better as a unit, I'm not sure how people can dispute that but I understand the Taylor fanboys have to try.

When was this then? The times the defence has looked any good has been away from home when low and behold all 11 ment played behind the ball and we played for a draw, i.e. Boro, Chelsea. Portsmouth away? They created numerous chances and the defence was all over the place at times like it has been consistently save those clean sheet games against Boro and Chelsea. Individually certain players played well defensively against Posrtmouth but as a unit the defence were nothing special.

Against Portsmouth all of our defenders played well with Colo and Bassong covering each other when needed.

The only way you could say they didn't defend well as a unit was because they were not tested enough.

Thats 2 defenders not a whole defense, I watched that game and time and time again Crouch and Defoe either got through or caused us problems, Shay having to make several saves. Only after the break when we pushed up and they sat off a bit did we keep them at bay and get at them with their defence all over the place like ours was, i.e. we were doing to them what they did to us. It was far from an impressive defensive display and while both Colo and Bassong done well, they were hardly magnificent.

They only had 3 shots on goal all match and one of those was a deflected shot off Butt and Colo before Given saved.

We handled them well and Portsmouth were mostly shooting from distance because they couldn't get through.

Bollocks they were being invited to shoot (Crouch, Defoe, even Johnson I think( because our defence were running back scared and all over the shop.

Why repeatedly shoot from distance if we could easily be broke down?

Because Shay always concedes from long range[/Crumpy]

Seriously, how the heck would I know am I some kind of mind reader?!

I'll agree to disagree, I didn't see a top defensive performance as a unit that day or stellar performances from Colo and Bassong, just decent enough from those two.

Anyway 3 games where we shock horror kept a clean sheet is hardly turning the corner defensively is it? Not looking at that goals against column it ain't anyway.

I didn't say it's turned the corner, I've said that we look far better when Colo and Bassong are partnered together, I'm not sure ow anyone who has watched us can dispute that.

As for the Portsmouth game, anyone defensive unit that can restrict the opposition from making many chances in the box and forces them to shoot from distance has done a good job in my eyes, if you don't agree then we've obviously got different opinions on what we think is good.

Guest Howaythetoon

I didn't say it's turned the corner, I've said that we look far better when Colo and Bassong are partnered together

In 3 isolated matches aye, otherwise its been a shambles at the back all the same. Whether its Bassong and Colo or Taylor and Colo. Just like at our goals against column. Having said that they are but two players and not the defence, they just form a part of it. Midfield and up front is critical to the defence and those two areas of our side just so happen to be lacking balance and quality in general.

I didn't say it's turned the corner, I've said that we look far better when Colo and Bassong are partnered together

In 3 isolated matches aye, otherwise its been a shambles at the back all the same. Whether its Bassong and Colo or Taylor and Colo. Just like at our goals against column. Having said that they are but two players and not the defence, they just form a part of it. Midfield and up front is critical to the defence and those two areas of our side just so happen to be lacking balance and quality in general.

I think the point Baggio is making is the defence is better when Taylor is not playing.

Guest Howaythetoon

I think the point Baggio is making is the defence is better when Taylor is not playing.

:lol: I sussed that a while back.

It isn't really though, not far better anyway. Although Bassong plays better than Taylor and so its quite an easy choice to keep him in over Taylor.

He's also clutching at Mike Ashley and Dennis the DOF type straws

Relevance?

Relevance?

and your relevance is what ?

Relevance?

Computer says no.

Relevance?

Computer says no.

no relevance ?

Relevance?

Computer says no.

no relevance ?

About as much as (weakly) attempting to start an argument with Baggio about Ashley/Wise/DOF in a thread about the footballing ability of Coloccini.

Relevance?

Computer says no.

no relevance ?

About as much as (weakly) attempting to start an argument with Baggio about Ashley/Wise/DOF in a thread about the footballing ability of Coloccini.

no, you're wrong. Look at where Baggy talked about "taylor fanboys", and repost your post there instead.

Don't suppose you will though.

Rather than respond with "Cacapa fanboys", I just said in response to a different post, that "he's grasping at Ashley and Denis the DOF type straws". Because he is. He doesn't have to reply by the way and I'm not really arsed if he does.

Was just thinking today how we have been linked with a number of centrebacks and not really many midfielders.

Perhaps Coloccini might be moved to DM where I really think he could be very good. I like him as centreback and I think he will continue to improve and get better, but he is so good on the ball he could really improve our midfield.

If we could partner someone like Samba with Bassong and slot Colo in midfield it could be a good way to go.

Was just thinking today how we have been linked with a number of centrebacks and not really many midfielders.

Perhaps Coloccini might be moved to DM where I really think he could be very good. I like him as centreback and I think he will continue to improve and get better, but he is so good on the ball he could really improve our midfield.

If we could partner someone like Samba with Bassong and slot Colo in midfield it could be a good way to go.

I totally agree with that. Colo looks a bit slow and not that strong, so if he gets caught in the wrong position, he can't recover in the way that Bassong does. His passing and his reading of the game though is excellent, so let's push him forward.

Its quite bad when our centre half (Colloccini) and left back are our best crossers off the ball. If we had another centre half like Bassong I think it would be good idea to push him into a defensive midfield position. We have always got Taylor to play centre half  :undecided:

Was a bit poxy today. I wish he was a little bit more consistent because when he's good, you couldn't drive a bus through him. His weaknesses remain the same, pace on the turn (we were playing too high up today anyway, that was evident from the second minute but nothing was changed) and his strength one on one. I've never had a problem with his aerial ability and i think his positional awareness is very good. I was about to say that he's good at 'getting in the way', but that sounds a bit simplistic - it's to do with his nouse and reading of the game, where to be and when to be. He's had some seriously good performances regarding this, Chelsea away springs to mind.

It'd be pretty hasty to shove him into midfield, really. He's a centre-back and a pretty decent one. I thought we were gash all day from a defensive point of view.

Was a bit poxy today. I wish he was a little bit more consistent because when he's good, you couldn't drive a bus through him. His weaknesses remain the same, pace on the turn (we were playing too high up today anyway, that was evident from the second minute but nothing was changed) and his strength one on one. I've never had a problem with his aerial ability and i think his positional awareness is very good. I was about to say that he's good at 'getting in the way', but that sounds a bit simplistic - it's to do with his nouse and reading of the game, where to be and when to be. He's had some seriously good performances regarding this, Chelsea away springs to mind.

It'd be pretty hasty to shove him into midfield, really. He's a centre-back and a pretty decent one. I thought we were gash all day from a defensive point of view.

The thing is Coloccini actually has played in midfield regularly in his career, as well as at right back. These are positions he plays comfortably in, so it wouldn't be as though we were shoehorning him into midfield.

Coloccini's 'mistake' today was to get caught out by a fantastic bit of movement and a good pass. If Beye had been there instead of Taylor the goal probably wouldn't have happened as one would have covered the other instead of concentrating hard on pointing the arm in the air at the crucial moment.

Got raped off Can't Control. Worrying.

Ah gerraway man. You were the one who made the thread about the Beye/Colo/Bassong/Enrique backline, praising it, and you were right. Colo's got his weaknesses but the entire defensive unit - from strikers to defenders - were pretty shoddy all day long. As i've said earlier, i cannot for the life of me understand why we didn't drop a yard or so back, when it was clear within the opening encounters that we might get skinned by a long ball or a counter-attack. Their second goal was a contribution of the two, on-rushing forward makes a good run and receives a good ball. It was only gonna need to happen once.