Allardyce - Ashley in it for the money (who'd have thought?!)

TRon

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/newcastle/3148248/Newcastle-United-owner-Mike-Ashley-in-it-for-the-money-says-Sam-Allardyce-Football.html

It was the first time that Allardyce had openly criticised the sports retail tycoon since he was sacked by the billionaire last January to make way for Kevin Keegan.

"It is going from bad to horrendous now at Newcastle," said Allardyce, who was appointed by Freddy Shepherd in May 2007, just weeks before Ashley parked his tanks on the then chairman's lawn.

"There is a part of me that makes me think I'm glad I'm out of it. It is crystal clear now what the motives were, obviously, for Mike Ashley.

"I think that really in the end he did buy the club in the hope that he thought he could quickly sell it on for a vast profit. What I did wasn't in the same line as him. I was in it for the long term. I was in it for a four-year contract and the building of a football club that, over the years, had declined."

Allardyce claimed that Newcastle's flagging fortunes were down to Ashley's transfer policies, which meant the Sports Direct founder maintained a tight grip on the club's purse strings.

"As a manager you always blame yourself first because you're the one in charge," Allardyce said. "But in the six months I was in charge there we worked tremendously hard and put a fantastic backroom staff in charge but the money didn't materialise to buy the sort of players that the passionate Newcastle fans demand.

"We only had a net spend of £9 million. I thought that Kevin Keegan was going to get that money but he never did. The continuous sales and players moving in and out over the summer obviously caused Kevin to conclude that the job was untenable as far as he was concerned and the club was then thrown into chaos."

The former Bolton manager, who has been out of work since leaving Newcastle, is determined to prove that Ashley was wrong to dispense with his services. "As a man being sacked dents your pride, it dents our professionalism but unfortunately you have to accept it," he said. "They finished 14th under Glenn Roeder the year I took over and when I left they were 11th. There was no danger of relegation – we were 12 or 13 points from the relegation zone.

"When I was there this time last year we had the best start in 10 years. I was at Newcastle for six months and left them when they were 11th and they have never improved on that position since I left.

"I definitely want to come back into management and I definitely want to prove a point regarding the Newcastle thing. I just hope that I don't become the forgotten man and everyone remembers what I've done."

Ashley put Newcastle up for sale following the furore that was caused by Keegan's surprise resignation last month, just 16 months after he bought the club in a £134.4 million takeover.

In an open letter to fans on the club's website, Ashley said: "I did not buy Newcastle to make money. I bought Newcastle because I love football."

A City insider said yesterday: "I'm sure even Mike Ashley didn't expect to put the club on the market so quickly. There seems to be confidence that a buyer will be found for him by [investment bankers] Seymour Pierce so there should be a fairly swift deal but it will be a worry if a deal cannot be consummated.

"If it's an overseas bidder the money will have to be checked out by a clearing bank to make sure it's clean, which could mean it will be mid-November before a deal is agreed de facto or in principle.

"There have been serious expressions of interest and I would expect something similar at Newcastle to the discreet way Randy Lerner took over Aston Villa. His takeover came right out of the blue."

Allardyce on Ashley on Sept 3, 2008: "You have to resolve this situation and ensure it’s a learning curve so it doesn’t happen again. And with Mike Ashley you can be confident that will be the case."

Allardyce on Ashley on Oct 6, 2008: "I think that really in the end he did buy the club in the hope that he thought he could quickly sell it on for a vast profit."

I find it hard to believe Fat Sam has the nerve to complain he only got £9m net to spend considering how it was spent. Alan Smith alone is probably costing us £10-12m, I dread to think who else he'd have bought given a chance.

"It is crystal clear now what the motives were, obviously, for Mike Ashley".

"I think that really in the end he did buy the club in the hope that he thought he could quickly sell it on for a vast profit"

100% correct. Some on here still thinking otherwise though is beyond me. Extreamley gullible. He has a track record of buying into things only to sell after a short while at a large increase.

Well apart from teeing up another Sam hatefest does anyone think he's right about Ashley being in it to make a quick turnround profit?

I personally think Ashley bought into the club with good intentions but having done no due diligence he found himself hitched to a business that needs investment beyond what he was able to commit. He's obviously now trying to move it on for the best possible price - but anyone who has decided to get out of a business would do the same.

I completely disagree that Ashley always wanted to sell quickly for a profit. I think he wanted some fun and somewhere to go on a saturday, and badly underestimated how much he would need to keep investing.

Obviously he wants the best price now, but I don't think that was his intention from day one.

Sam is a bitter, bitter man, and should keep his mouth firmly closed on the subject of NUFC.

I think after Ashley took over, the unexpected problems that he found were the degree to which the club was overspending on salaries, and how much of future income had already been spent. There was a basic income / expenditure problem that was going to take a while to turn round, and which restricted his investment on the transfer side.

He has said that he was planning to put in £20 million of his own money every year, and there have been complaints about that not being reflected in the transfer budget. Well, nowadays, player's salaries are by far the biggest outgoings that a club our size has to make.

But overall, no, I don't think he was in it for a fast buck. I think he wanted a long-term involvement and it's the Keegan departure and the reaction of the majority of fans that have made him change his mind.

You really can't tell him to go, and then when he does, say that it was what he was plotting all along. That's trying to have your cake and eat it.

Even if he did want to buy the club and sell for a profit, I find it a bit rich that this fat bastard is complaining when sanctioning some of his big money signings has proved extremely expensive. Barton, Smith and Viduka are hardly earning their massive salaries are they?

I think what Ashley did was trying to improve the club as much as he can without making any personal loss

How dare he!!??? the selfish greedy fat cockney twat!!!!  :doh:

I agree Zero - although some will have you believe Ashley is the boogeyman.

On the topic of Allardyce, if I were Mike Ashley, I would have never sacked him, and would have given him at least 2 full seasons to show the direction he was leading the club toward. I don't believe for one minute that we were going down. The vast majority on here will disagree I'm sure, and will be thinking, good job themanupstairs isn't Ashley :lol:

I completely disagree that Ashley always wanted to sell quickly for a profit. I think he wanted some fun and somewhere to go on a saturday, and badly underestimated how much he would need to keep investing.

Obviously he wants the best price now, but I don't think that was his intention from day one.

Sam is a bitter, bitter man, and should keep his mouth firmly closed on the subject of NUFC.

Won't disagree that perhaps he wanted his bit of fun too of owning a premiership club. But he never expected to hang around too long.  Have his fun then cut and run laughing all the way to the bank. He could still have keegan here if he really wanted. Alarm bells should be ringing now and the penny has hopefully dropped for some now he wants 300-400m for the club he paid just £133m for (ok plus paying off £80m) .

Won't disagree that perhaps he wanted his bit of fun too of owning a premiership club. But he never expected to hang around too long.  Have his fun then cut and run laughing all the way to the bank. He could still have keegan here if he really wanted. Alarm bells should be ringing now and the penny has hopefully dropped for some now he wants 300-400m for the club he paid just £133m for (ok plus paying off £80m) .

I just don't think he'd bother with the hassle of the takeover and the review of the club etc if he only wanted to hang around for a season.

All the signs were that he was planning for the long term, don't know how anyone can say otherwise. The only thing he did wrong was bottling out when things got tough.

Guest Stephen927

Right now, he's obviously in it for getting the best deal for himself.

But when he came into the club, it was to help make it self sustaining and to set up a structure that would continue that trend with some exciting new youngsters coming into the team for little money.

It's all this Dennis Wise and Kevin Keegan bullshit thats fucked everything up for him.

"I think that really in the end he did buy the club in the hope that he thought he could quickly sell it on for a vast profit"

100% correct. Some on here still thinking otherwise though is beyond me. Extreamley gullible. He has a track record of buying into things only to sell after a short while at a large increase.

You mean he bought some shares in Adidas once and sold them on after a few weeks for a profit, any other examples?

What company's has he bought 100% of and sold on for a profit?

You mean he bought some shares in Adidas once and sold them on after a few weeks for a profit, any other examples?

You're right, his typical MO is to buy a quality brand name company (Slazenger, Karrimor, Kangol), and then use that respected brand name to sell cheaper, lower quality goods.

No comparison with what he was trying to do at Newcastle at all.

"They finished 14th under Glenn Roeder the year I took over and when I left they were 11th. There was no danger of relegation – we were 12 or 13 points from the relegation zone.

Hmmmmmm.... not so sure about that myself Mr Allardyce

"They finished 14th under Glenn Roeder the year I took over and when I left they were 11th. There was no danger of relegation – we were 12 or 13 points from the relegation zone.

ffs we weren't gonna go down! how long did it take Keegan to win his first league game? we still survived comfortably. sam would've turned it around eventually

ffs we weren't gonna go down! how long did it take Keegan to win his first league game? we still survived comfortably. sam would've turned it around eventually

So you think there was "no danger" ?

It was thanks to Keegan that we eventually survived. If Sam had remained, I am pretty sure the morale would have just sunk lower and lower and would woudlnt have amassed enough points

Guest guinness_fiend

Spot on.  There are some seriously misinformed people on here.