The Newcastle United Transfer Thread: D-Day [Spoiler: Not Much Happens]

LooneyToonArmy

I think his defensive capabilities and physique are good but his decision making is generally pretty bad, and that comes down to general intelligence IMO.

Taylor has never struck me as the brightest lad and i think that might be the reason he drops so many clangers. Becoming a good CB has more to do with coaching than natural ability because it's relies on concentration, positioning and timing, and less on instinct and natural ability. Therefore you need to be relatively intelligent to understand the positional theory and apply it at the right times throughout the 90 minutes.  If you're thick you're less likely to make it as a top class CB because you don't have the speed of thought to ensure you're always in the right position at the right time.

That's my take on it anyway!

mine too

Guest toonlass

Kinnear looking for another Irish homey?

Keane and Owen swap?

Cash plus Owen and we could have him I reckon.

Player would turn it down, surely.

He knows he would get regular football here, and none of the other top 4 will come in for him. Aston Villa are sorted for strikers, Everton couldn't afford him, same with Pompey, Scum, Boro, Wigan or Fulham. Citeh have just signed Bellemy.

Why would Keane want to come here ?

To get away from Rafa and play a few games.

Which he could go to many other clubs to do just that and probably clubs who will be in Europe next season unlike ourselves. Isn't his goal record not that great either which at the minute is the type of striker we need because we have a midfield who can't score for the £60k wages a week they are getting let alone anything else.

Why would Keane want to come here ?

To get away from Rafa and play a few games.

Which he could go to many other clubs to do just that and probably clubs who will be in Europe next season unlike ourselves. Isn't his goal record not that great either which at the minute is the type of striker we need because we have a midfield who can't score for the £60k wages a week they are getting let alone anything else.

He won't come cheap and will want big wages, Owen as part of the deal would free up wages but even without another off Keane would rather stay at Pool.

We don't want to sell, so if they want truly want him than they should meet our demands, I'm sure they can afford to.

says JFK...i think we NEED to sell him, and man city will know this too

We'll automatically be weaker as a team if he goes. He's not a player who is really all that expendible.

Rafa would never take Owen back.

He would now the pressure is getting to him. If we were to offer cash plus Owen for Keane i reckon he would snap our hands off. Not that Keane would come here.

Funnily enough I was just saying the exact same thing to my mate at work.

Would be a good deal all round. Well, apart from for Keane :lol:

Sorry if already posted.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/7851263.stm

Newcastle United have made an enquiry about the availability of Celtic captain Stephen McManus.

The English club contacted the Scottish champions after Celtic enquired about Newcastle full-back Jose Enrique.

Newcastle manager Joe Kinnear is keen on McManus and wants to include him as part of any deal for the Spaniard.

Celtic have said that they are not looking to off-load the centre-back, but Newcastle could make an offer before the end of the transfer window.

McManus, 25, made his debut for Celtic in 2003 and was made club captain after the departure of Neil Lennon in May 2007.

He has made 17 appearances for Scotland and has captained the national team in the absence of midfielder Barry Ferguson.  MY SPORT: DEBATE

Give your reaction to this story

Celtic have been exploring options to fill their left-back berth, although manager Gordon Strachan has stated he would be happy to see out the remainder of the current campaign without adding further to his squad.

Former Newcastle manager Sam Allardyce brought Jose Enrique to Tyneside on a five-year deal from Villarreal in August 2007 for a fee of £6.3m.

The 23-year-old has represented Spain once, against Georgia, when he scored the only goal and was also sent-off in his country's 1-0 European Championship qualifier win.

Surely we are in for a LB if we are even considering letting Enrique go.

Is he any good?

Not according to many Celtic fans.

Easy better then Taylor so I would have him.

Pretty stupid transfer anyway if we sell our only LB and get in another CB.

Unless Zoggy is going to play there for the rest of the season which would be terrible.

Not sure about the Robbie Keane link tbh.

His wages would be pretty high and he is getting on a bit.

Not sure he fits Mike Ashley's criteria for the young and sexy.

i'm not sure about it because he would never come in a million years

Wake up, Joe.. Jose is good enough!

I'd be seriously pissed if we get rid of him this window.. even if we bring in another left back

He is the weakest member of our first team, him and Butt.

I'd agree with that, although Enrique is often very steady defensively and unlike Butt, is young and can only improve.

I'm not optimistic we can buy a better LB right now and that he'll click immediately. We must have cover.

Guest firetotheworks

Wake up, Joe.. Jose is good enough!

I'd be seriously pissed if we get rid of him this window.. even if we bring in another left back

He is the weakest member of our first team, him and Butt.

Enriques still nowhere near bad enough to justify getting rid though. His passing is woeful at times, but defensively he's sound imo. Certainly less of a liability than Butt, Duff and Taylor imo.

STEPHEN McManus could be on his way to the English Premiership after Newcastle United put in a bid for the Celtic skipper.

St James's Park gaffer Joe Kinnear is reported to have offered £4m to take the central defender to Tyneside.

It is believed the move may have been sparked after Celtic inquired about the Toon's out-of-favour left-back Jose Enrique.

The Parkhead club have no desire to sell one of their stars but already have a replacement lined up with Spartak Moscow stopper Radoslav Kovac in their sights.

McManus, 25, has been a solid performer for the Celts since making his debut in 2003 and has formed a formed a reliable partnership at the heart of the defence with Gary Caldwell.

The Scotland regular was awarded the club captaincy two years ago when Neil Lennon switched to Nottingham Forest.

The deal could see Spain international Enrique, 23, arriving at Parkhead to fill the troublesome left-back slot.

But a potential problem could be Enrique's wages which are thought to be way above even the highest earners at Celtic.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2009/01/26/newcastle-make-bid-for-celtic-captain-stephen-mcmanus-86908-21072849/