The Newcastle United Transfer Thread: D-Day [Spoiler: Not Much Happens]

LooneyToonArmy

Sorry am i a scout suddenly put in place to determine all the possible players the world over that we could have bought.

Give up with your useless arguments.

You are quite clearly severely deluded about our position and think we're in absolutely no trouble whatsoever regardless of the fact that our whole side is becoming cripples & our curent manager shows no tactical awareness whatsoever whilst all the other sides around us bar portsmouth and middlesborough  are getting better results.

Guess what, if current form of each side continues in a similar manner, we'll be the 3rd side in the drop zone. I dont believe our form will improve with Everton, Man utd, arsenal & chelsea coming up. You clearly do, good luck with that.

The end

so you're demanding we should have brought more (decent, you said) players in but you cant name anybody you would go for with £10 million? even on a harmless, not actually real, internet forum?

or has reality just smacked you between the eyes?

Mate if you think i have the same player knowledge as our scouting system then that once again is just a massive failure for Ashley isnt it, the guy you're endlessly backing.

How about Skjelbred, the guy keegan supposedly turned down the last window. A young playermaker with lots of potential who was also a newcastle fan. Jay simpson, the lad west brom got on loan.

I am not going to waste 10 minuted looking around all the players we've been linked with just because you're to slow to consider that the argument you're making is an absolute joke.

Ah the witch hunt is starting to gather momentum.

Cracking how without full knowledge of what's going on people point the finger regardless. We can't praise the recruitment team because they didn't do their job but at the same time I'd like to know why before I start blaming them.

How about we just blame Ashley as he's the one who put it all in place.

Ok good plan

so you're demanding we should have brought more (decent, you said) players in but you cant name anybody you would go for with £10 million? even on a harmless, not actually real, internet forum?

Reality is our first team is now worse than it was in December. Of the £10M Kinnear allegedly was handed for transfers, the club have spunked a whopping fuck all, not counting profit from the sales of our best player and a whinging French cunt.

Regrettably I am in the camp that believes we will be relegated now. It isn't because we didn't sign more players in this window (although that certainly has not helped) but because we have a seriously incompetent manager who has no idea how to get the best out of the players we currently do have. If he remains in charge we will go down. If he is replaced then we might have a chance. i know the usual cry will go up as to who would come to Newcastle, but if MA throws enough cash and incentives to keep us up to a good manager then he could be persuaded to come and do a rescue job. After all there is basically nothing for him to lose as if we still go down it would not be his fault given the squad etc but if he kept us up he would get all the plaudits going.

Guest The Libertine

Sorry am i a scout suddenly put in place to determine all the possible players the world over that we could have bought.

You are quite clearly severely deluded about our position and think we're in absolutely no trouble whatsoever regardless of the fact that our whole side is becoming cripples & our curent manager shows no tactical awareness whatsoever whilst all the other sides around us bar portsmouth and middlesborough  are getting better results.

Guess what, if current form of each side continues in a similar manner, we'll be the 3rd side in the drop zone. I dont believe our form will improve with Everton, Man utd, arsenal & chelsea coming up. You clearly do, good luck with that.

The end

Mate if you think i have the same player knowledge as our scouting system then that once again is just a massive failure for Ashley isnt it, the guy you're endlessly backing.

How about Skjelbred, the guy keegan supposedly turned down the last window. A young playermaker with lots of potential who was also a newcastle fan. Jay simpson, the lad west brom got on loan.

I am not going to waste 10 minuted looking around all the players we've been linked with just because you're to slow to consider that the argument you're making is an absolute joke.

you're the one who demanded "decent" players be brought in yet you can only think of a player we've already turned down and a player already on loan at WBA.

im sure if a thread was made asking who each poster would buy within a £10 million budget you'd be surprised by the lack of "decent" realistic players available for such a small price to allow us to buy 2 or 3 of them. if you want to give it another go then go ahead.

Guest black n white

nzogbia on five live now...didnt get on with kinnear

Who knew!

News to Kinnear, presumably.

;D

I don't see how I'm taking your points that widely. What I'm saying is 'we've consistently failed to get what we need in transfer windows while under Ashley's administration' and I'm identifying that a factor present in each of those windows is Ashley's administration. There's more to it than that, of course, there's the fact that all three of his managers have expressed deep dissatisfaction with the way his administration conducts its behaviour during windows, for example. Seems logical, then, to hold suspicions.

If we ARE going to look at the wider picture, then things look even worse. There's the fact he's gone through three managers in 18 months and the latest of them is Joe Kinnear. Wider circumstances thus make the results of our affairs with the transfer market even more important. This latest failure is all the more significant, therefore.

I think it's a bit unfair to call the last transfer window a failure in terms of the actual business we did. Selling Milner without a real replacement was a disappointment but all in all it was pretty good. The defence isn't perfect but looks 100% better, we brought in a winger, an attacking midfielder and a striker. Yes with hindsight for various reasons some haven't worked but the two notable disappointments are the two that haven't been given a chance for one reason or another.

The consistent problem is we continue to sell so we're never addressing the issue of depth. I'm all for selling off the dead wood or even average first teamers for the right price and that's what we have done. Unfortunately in doing this we've left ourselves a bit short and this has been exposed horribly by the recent injury crisis.

We had a chance to address this in this window and that's why it is particularly disappointing. So I'd say we have got what we wanted it's just we've left ourselves with no back up as such which in its self in an error but not one to constitute all of the Ashley regime's transfer windows a failure.

Other manager's have expressed their dissatisfaction about the way things are done but I don't think that's because the transfers themselves it's more the fact they weren't getting the specific players they wanted. That's a mistake of appointing the wrong man for the job, not of bringing in the wrong players. A mistake as you correctly pointed out fits into the much bleaker wider perspective.

Failure can only really be defined in context. On one occasion more success may be required than on another occasion for them both to be considered as being comparatively useful. It's for that reason that I consider this particular window to be particularly detrimental. As for last Summer, taken in isolation it wasn't singularly awful, but it was certainly disillusioning and like I say, windows can only really be taken in relation to their circumstances and its final week was the crescendo which brought us to where we are now.

Incidentally, just to clarify where I think we are now, this is the first time in recent history that I can seriously envisage us going down. Certainties? Maybe not, but I didn't feel that the club would go down under Souness etc. - not because the managers would not take us down but because the club fundamentals were superior or even because I felt the bad manager would be ousted and 'new man syndrome' would carry us over the finishing line, in the way Roeder did. This last point relates very heavily to Ashley, both regarding transfer windows and generally - I am consistently amazed by the actions or lack of action taken by his administration. To visit your last point about managerial dissatisfaction, it doesn't solely relate to the players chosen - would that it were. Instead, at the fourth attempt, we have Kinnear complaining about the lack of activity coming from above and having to call meetings to get arses moving. Why haven't they learnt? Its why I've come to not take seriously ideas that 'all kinds of things are taking place behind the scenes' - there appears to be a consistent lack of urgency or appreciation of the position the club is in at any given point.

Anyway, back to general management and one of the reasons we may go down. I don't have much time for Kinnear, and I understand you don't either. If it looks like we're in serious trouble with a few games to go, what do you see the Board doing to help our cause in any way? I'm not convinced they'll do the right thing at the right moment, I'm not convinced they'd get someone appropriate in afterwards and because of the state the club is widely perceived as being in, I'm not sure they could bring that appropriate person in if they wanted to.

The last window put into context was a good window for transfers but a disastrous window for Newcastle United. For me that wasn't down to the players, it was down to the board trying to squeeze Keegan into a position when he was never right for that position for day one and as you say that spiralled and we are where we are now. It really depends what context your choosing to put it in.

However rather than call this window an absolute disaster I'd call this window a missed opportunity. The threat of relegation becomes greater by the month this transfer period was an opportunity to relive that pressure and for one reason or another we didn't take it. For me that doesn't take us any closer to the sword but similarly it doesn't take us any further away. So rather than call it damaging or anything along those lines I'd stick with a disappointment, the signings we did make were handy, it was the lack of them that made it underwhelming.

As for your point about the administrations lack of urgency I'd have to agree. As you say we have to do the right thing at the right time and I can't help but feel we've left it too far along the line to make any kind of major change without doing more harm than good. Our position is perilous now, but searching for a new manager post-transfer window and the third manager this season? It'll only get worse.

Guest The Libertine

Reality is our first team is now worse than it was in December. Of the £10M Kinnear allegedly was handed for transfers, the club have spunked a whopping fuck all, not counting profit from the sales of our best player and a whinging French cunt.

harper or given? given is better, although its a lot closer than some people think.

nolan or butt, geremi, smith or the ever reliable barton? thats easy.

lovenkrands or n'zogbia? a player who wouldnt have ever kicked a ball for us again or anybody? easy.

taylor is very versatile and a decent player who'll add depth.

if kinnear was handed £10 million then blame him if you're not happy.

The end

you're the one who demanded "decent" players be brought in yet you can only think of a player we've already turned down and a player already on loan at WBA.

im sure if a thread was made asking who each poster would buy within a £10 million budget you'd be surprised by the lack of "decent" realistic players available for such a small price to allow us to buy 2 or 3 of them. if you want to give it another go then go ahead.

So your argument is that unless i can name exact players that were available with some form of encyclopedic knowledge of each clubs transfer list & players they would be willing to sell, i  shouldnt expect us to sign anyone ?

See to me thats a laughable argument, which logically makes no sense as i am not in charge of scouting and should not contain the same level of knowledge as those hired for months to search out players across the globe and bring them to Newcastle. I pay very little attention to foreign leagues actually. Yet to you, that makes sense does it ?

Sums it all up really doesnt it.

Skjelbred was supposedly turned down by Keegan only because he was unhappy at that point already with players coming in he didnt know.

Your argument about Jay simpson just sums up the amount of logic you are using once again. Perhaps genius i am suggesting that we should have loaned jay simpson before west brom did.

Kinnear isn't the one who negotiates the deals. Ashley and Llambias are the people responsible for this mess. The £10M were most likely never there, a lie just like last window when promises were made and broken.

Nolan is mediocre, so is Løvenkrands, so is Ryan Taylor. Shay Given is class. That's one class player leaving and three mediocre players coming in, three players who will help out in our injury situation but not at all improve the first team. The first team is still shit, and the squad is still shit.

Guest BigTrev

the only good think about the window is the people we have signed sound like they are happy to be here and want to do well

Guest The Libertine

The end

So your argument is that unless i can name exact players that were available with some form of encyclopedic knowledge of each clubs transfer list & players they would be willing to sell, i  shouldnt expect us to sign anyone ?

See to me thats a laughable argument, which logically makes no sense as i am not in charge of scouting and should not contain the same level of knowledge as those hired for months to search out players across the globe and bring them to Newcastle. I pay very little attention to foreign leagues actually. Yet to you, that makes sense does it ?

Skjelbred was supposedly turned down by Keegan only because he was unhappy at that point already with players coming in he didnt know.

Your argument about Jay simpson just sums up the amount of logic you are using once again. Perhaps genius i am suggesting that we should have loaned jay simpson before west brom did.

i admire you're stubbornness.

you dont need a massive knowledge of worldwide football, just players YOU think are currently "decent", who would sign for us and would have a small enough fee to allow us to buy 2 or 3 of the players on your list for £10 million. its not as complicated as you're trying to make it.

btw, simpson went on loan on january 1st as a prior agreement between the 2 clubs. genius you say?

Guest The Libertine

Kinnear isn't the one who negotiates the deals. Ashley and Llambias are the people responsible for this mess. The £10M were most likely never there, a lie just like last window when promises were made and broken.

Nolan is mediocre, so is Løvenkrands, so is Ryan Taylor. Shay Given is class. That's one class player leaving and three mediocre players coming in, three players who will help out in our injury situation but not at all improve the first team. The first team is still shit, and the squad is still shit.

that top bit is pure speculation. you believe that if you want.

is nolan better than smith, butt, geremi and the injured jailbird barton? he is.

is lovenkrands better than a player on permanent strike? he is.

is taylor decent enough cover for a few positions we're short in? he is.

bye.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Trying to look on the bright side, thank God we didn't sign any Glasgow Rangers rejects and McManus from Celtic

they probably rejected us

Regrettably I am in the camp that believes we will be relegated now. It isn't because we didn't sign more players in this window (although that certainly has not helped) but because we have a seriously incompetent manager who has no idea how to get the best out of the players we currently do have. If he remains in charge we will go down. If he is replaced then we might have a chance. i know the usual cry will go up as to who would come to Newcastle, but if MA throws enough cash and incentives to keep us up to a good manager then he could be persuaded to come and do a rescue job. After all there is basically nothing for him to lose as if we still go down it would not be his fault given the squad etc but if he kept us up he would get all the plaudits going.

Well said. I totally agree.

The end

i admire you're stubbornness.

you dont need a massive knowledge of worldwide football, just players YOU think are currently "decent", who would sign for us and would have a small enough fee to allow us to buy 2 or 3 of the players on your list for £10 million. its not as complicated as you're trying to make it.

btw, simpson went on loan on january 1st as a prior agreement between the 2 clubs. genius you say?

Quick look at the last few days of the window, jimmy bullard, giles barnes, Savio Nsereko, Carlo Cudicini are some we could have gone in for.

How about Luis Garcia or M'bia as we were once going to.

How about WE should have been the side to make a prior agreement over Jay simpson before west brom.

Are you related to Mike Ashley ? You seem more than ready to find any possible excuse for none of this being his fault whatsoever.

If i understand rightly, you're argument is that there were simply no players other on the planet that we could possibly have bought.