The Newcastle United Transfer Thread: D-Day [Spoiler: Not Much Happens]

LooneyToonArmy

Arsenal fan at work would "love" them to sign Steven Taylor, the same one who thinks Beye is the "shit shortarse" we have in defence.

Just goes to show how different the view is sometimes from the outside.

funnily enough taylor thinks he'll be at arsenal or liverpool within a year ;D

Guest toonlass

From the BBC Gossip section:

As he bids to bring new players in during the January transfer window, Newcastle manager Joe Kinnear says he has "a full scout force [out there] and they are on red alert, going to various parts of the world".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To put up tents, sit round campfires, tie knots and sing "Ging Gang Goolly"!

As he bids to bring new players in during the January transfer window, Newcastle manager Joe Kinnear says he has "a full scout force [out there] and they are on red alert, going to various parts of the world".

Why aren't the scout force out there during the rest of the year, and then line deals up to COMPLETE in the transfer window?

What are our scouts paid for the rest of the year?  To sit in their mansions and sing "Ging Gang Goolly", possibly.

West Ham turned down a £10 million bid for Bellamy and are holding out for £15 million!

Won't be surprised if they come in for Owen instead.

If they offer the same £10 million I think we should take it.

West Ham turned down a £10 million bid for Bellamy and are holding out for £15 million!

Why would Manchester City want Bellamy or Owen though. It makes no sense. They want to emulate the big four, correct? So why are they looking to sign players on their secnd to last legs. When you look at Chelsea's transfer strategy in the early years under Abramovich, it was genius compared to what The Citizens are going after. Chelsea didn't sign a whole bunch of huge names, but they certainly did not go after players who were nearing 30 and had the last few seasons ravaged by injury. They'll need to replace them in two or three years, and that's assuming they haven't fallen of the football map due to injury. Certainly have no potential high resale value either.

Why would Manchester City want Bellamy or Owen though. It makes no sense. They want to emulate the big four, correct? So why are they looking to sign players on their secnd to last legs. When you look at Chelsea's transfer strategy in the early years under Abramovich, it was genius compared to what The Citizens are going after. Chelsea didn't sign a whole bunch of huge names, but they certainly did not go after players who were nearing 30 and had the last few seasons ravaged by injury. They'll need to replace them in two or three years, and that's assuming they haven't fallen of the football map due to injury. Certainly have no potential high resale value either.

Chelsea were far better established than Citeh the years before RA, they also have capital pull. It's going to be hard to attract the best until a firm base of success is there, and these signings Hughes is making, or trying to, are him trying to get in what he knows works in the league; and kudos to the board allowing him to do that, but at some point they'll pull rank and buy another Robinho out of the blue.

Resale value matters little when they are trying to make an impact. Buying big players off the continent is big risk ala Shevchenko, whereas proven EPL goalscorers like Owen are available on the cheap and would do a regular job.

Guest VegasToon

If we sign Nigel Quashie I'm going to drink a mouthful of my own piss...

Come on Ashley, I think just the fact he would do the above is worth it. 

:lol:

and just picturing a bunch of NUFC-official-wear-clad scouts singing that.....  mackems.gif

Newcastle midfielder Geremi has emerged as a target for Turkish club Besiktas, while FC Porto midfielder Raul Meireles may be making a £4m switch to St James' Park. (Daily Mail)

Newcastle boss Joe Kinnear wants midfielder Nigel Quashie, whose three-month loan move to Birmingham from West Ham expires after this weekend, to help the Magpies stave off relegation. (Daily Mirror)

Newcastle midfielder Geremi has emerged as a target for Turkish club Besiktas, while FC Porto midfielder Raul Meireles may be making a £4m switch to St James' Park. (Daily Mail)

:thup:

Newcastle boss Joe Kinnear wants midfielder Nigel Quashie, whose three-month loan move to Birmingham from West Ham expires after this weekend, to help the Magpies stave off relegation. (Daily Mirror)

:thdn:

Guest Guinness

Someone's on the wind up with the Quashie rumour surely? I know we're struggling for money, but surely we're not after him.

van bommel and bayern can reach an agreement over an extension! bayern have reached their limit and van bommel isnt happy about the offer plus bayern have signed  Anatoli Timoschtschuk from Zenit!

there is still some years left in van bommels legs! think he could be a good signing and leader!

van bommel and bayern can reach an agreement over an extension! bayern have reached their limit and van bommel isnt happy about the offer plus bayern have signed  Anatoli Timoschtschuk from Zenit!

there is still some years left in van bommels legs! think he could be a good signing and leader!

= can´t

Someone's on the wind up with the Quashie rumour surely? I know we're struggling for money, but surely we're not after him.

I'd rather we signed players like this than give JK any real money to spend.

What a crazy way of thinking.

What's to say JK won't get quality players in?

Don't be daft.

= can´t

thats what I thought when I read it.

Don't be daft.

You may be right, but I can't see JK being here next season so what is the point in brining in expensive players on long term deals when we'll most likely have a new manager next season. Although I suppose it's irrelevant as Wise will most likely pick the players and if he continues to bring in the quality he has I'll be more than pleased.  I'm just abit concerened about giving someone alot of money to spend when they've been out of the game too long and I'm pretty sure Ashley won't anyway.

Don't be daft.

You may be right, but I can't see JK being here next season so what is the point in brining in expensive players on long term deals when we'll most likely have a new manager next season. Although I suppose it's irrelevant as Wise will most likely pick the players and if he continues to bring in the quality he has I'll be more than pleased.  I'm just abit concerened about giving someone alot of money to spend when they've been out of the game too long and I'm pretty sure Ashley won't anyway.

Why do people think this? If he keeps us up and wants the job Ashley isn't going to suddenly change Managers. If he likes him and JFK seems to be getting on with the players he'll be here as long as he's wanted. Unless of course he does a KK and rebels at the transfer budget....

Don't be daft.

Why do people think this? If he keeps us up and wants the job Ashley isn't going to suddenly change Managers. If he likes him and JFK seems to be getting on with the players he'll be here as long as he's wanted. Unless of course he does a KK and rebels at the transfer budget....

He's only contracted till the end of the season though, either way its not worth risking a heavy investment as theres at least a 50% chance of him going.