The Newcastle United Transfer Thread: D-Day [Spoiler: Not Much Happens]

LooneyToonArmy

Meanwhile, midfielder Joey Barton will not return to first-team action until March due to a knee injury he sustained last month.

''It's more serious than we thought,'' said Kinnear. ''It means we'll be looking for a midfielder in the transfer window now.''

The 'now' is slightly worrying if he wasn't planning on trying to sign a midfielder in January anyway.

This reminds me of when Shearer retired and then Owen got seriously injured. We all knew we needed a striker to replace Shearer anyway, but the Owen injury basically forced Shepherd & Roeder to go and get Martins.

Think the Barton injury could be the same. There's no doubt the manager knows we need a midfielder, this just forces his hand.

This reminds me of when Shearer retired and then Owen got seriously injured. We all knew we needed a striker to replace Shearer anyway, but the Owen injury basically forced Shepherd & Roeder to go and get Martins.

Think the Barton injury could be the same. There's no doubt the manager knows we need a midfielder, this just forces his hand.

Aye hopefully. Might also mean we target somebody of higher quality now too.

Rumours we've been linked with Europe's top goalscorer Marc Janko, has scored 30 goals from 21 games this season (albeit in the relatively weak Austrian league), but has also picked up international goals against Italy, Serbia and France whilst playing Austria. Is 6ft 5 so could easily fill the 'target man-esque' gap left by Viduka, has scored some decent goals in his time and there is a very good video of all his goals this season which I can't link to because people on these forums do not like video links :(

Could he do a job over here, do we need a striker and when will we ever sign a quality centre mid?!

The beauty of players coming from "lesser" leagues is that they generally don't cost very much.  If he's cheap, then I say he's worth a punt if he'll actually get some first-team minutes.  If not, then fuck it and don't even bother.  Btw, we do have Xisco who had in the top 3 (although there's some debate?) best goals/minute ratios in his league which was far superior to the Austrian league and he doesn't even get minutes on the pitch.  Everything's relative.

Rumours we've been linked with Europe's top goalscorer Marc Janko, has scored 30 goals from 21 games this season (albeit in the relatively weak Austrian league), but has also picked up international goals against Italy, Serbia and France whilst playing Austria. Is 6ft 5 so could easily fill the 'target man-esque' gap left by Viduka, has scored some decent goals in his time and there is a very good video of all his goals this season which I can't link to because people on these forums do not like video links :(

Could he do a job over here, do we need a striker and when will we ever sign a quality centre mid?!

Rumoured where?

Guest LucasUnger

had this story here in austria 2 months ago. ;)

i don't know if he could handle the premier league???

he plays excellent though this season.

who knows??

Very interesting little segment on soccer Saturday with Kinnear. Talking about the work he has done over the last few years, and apparently he has been watching players all over the world for different clubs. Talked about spending a month in Argentina doing this just before joining us, also mentioned being in Chile etc.

Can only bode well for us in the transfer market in the future.  :thup:

Very interesting little segment on soccer Saturday with Kinnear. Talking about the work he has done over the last few years, and apparently he has been watching players all over the world for different clubs. Talked about spending a month in Argentina doing this just before joining us, also mentioned being in Chile etc.

All sounded good until I realised that the feckless wonder couldn't spot a better left back than Riise after scouring the whole of Argentina and Chile.

Tried to Google JFK's Wimbledon signing record and could not find any comprehensive list of the transfers. Some articles claim he was good at picking up unknowns and this could be another of his plus points to MA given that he is not prepared to spend much on us anymore. Just enough to keep things going ....Does anyone have JFK's list of transfers done in his Wombles or other Managerial roles?

We are being linked with Mamadouu Sakho, an 18 year-old 'wonderkid'. He is a CD and plays for PSG. We have been linked with him before.

It's in The People paper but I can't find a link. Hopefully he'll be the next Bassong

He's also already captained PSG

Guest MrSundlofer

We are being linked with Mamadouu Sakho, an 18 year-old 'wonderkid'. He is a CD and plays for PSG. We have been linked with him before.

It's in The People paper but I can't find a link. Hopefully he'll be the next Bassong

I think Sakho is wanted by all top clubs in Europe. In France, they regard him better than Bassong. Will be hard for us to get him here.

Bullard isn't a replacement for Butt.  Get him in June but not now --- we deadly need a defensive midifielder to kick Butt out.

But we need a midfielder we know can do a job in the league and is available now. Bullard fits the bill, so if we got him and a few more bassong-type signings to pad out the squad then I'd be happier going into the tail end of the season.

I think Sakho is wanted by all top clubs in Europe. In France, they regard him better than Bassong. Will be hard for us to get him here.

Yeah, he'd have no reason to come here and PSG no reason to sell to us. He'll play in Paris a few more years before his inevitable move to one of the "super clubs".