The Newcastle United Transfer Thread: D-Day [Spoiler: Not Much Happens]

LooneyToonArmy

Miracles? Who the f*** was expecting miracles?

We were lacking both quality AND quantity this window, but sorting out quantity would have been enough to keep us up in the short term. We needed bodies pure and simple.

Here's the cold, hard facts: our main relegation rivals, Hull, West Brom, Stoke, Portsmouth, and Blackburn have all strengthened majorly in this window or at least made an effort to shore up their weaknesses.

We've gone and made a f***ing profit.

Idiocity of the absolute highest order.

im not fully up on the other transfers (so correct me if if needs be)

hull - bought jimmy bullard and a defender we rejected. we bought nolan and a versatile defender/midfielder who is decent.

west brom - just loaned a midfielder? not major strengthening.

stoke - james beattie and etherington. they've done well enough but they'll still go down imo.

pompey - sold their best 2 players for a s*** load of money and didnt replace either well enough. barely spent anything.

blackburn - bought diouf. lost derbyshire. not too good either.

sunderland - lost diouf, chimbonda and chopra and got ben haim. poor.

boro - swapped mido for king. meh.

like i say, if i've missed anyone fill the names in, but that doesnt look to me like they've done much better than us. if we get a few players back then we'll be fine.

They also dont have their 14 players out with injury especially to those in key positions. They also have just released their best goalkeeper have they.

Stop comparing us to other sides, it is quite clear we are not in equal positions.

Mike Ashley could of won over ALOT of supporters today.  A pure half arsed effort!!

He never stood a chance, the volume and signings that would have made people praise him was impossible.

(Sorry, but it's could have.)

Utter bollocks.

In what way?

I know you're an intelligent poster, so what would have been 'good enough'? And also, how would that compare to what a premiership club has ever done in a January window?

We were lacking both quality AND quantity this window, but sorting out quantity would have been enough to keep us up in the short term. We needed bodies pure and simple.

Here's the cold, hard facts: our main relegation rivals, Hull, West Brom, Stoke, Portsmouth, and Blackburn have all strengthened majorly in this window or at least made an effort to shore up their weaknesses.

hull - bought jimmy bullard and a defender we rejected. we bought nolan and a versatile defender/midfielder who is decent.

stoke - james beattie and etherington. they've done well enough but they'll still go down imo.

pompey - sold their best 2 players for a shit load of money and didnt replace either well enough. barely spent anything.

like i say, if i've missed anyone fill the names in, but that doesnt look to me like they've done much better than us. if we get a few players back then we'll be fine.

Fair point

But (and it's a big but) have any of them clubs got the huge injury list we have?

Mike Ashley could of won over ALOT of supporters today.  A pure half arsed effort!!

He never stood a chance, the volume and signings that would have made people praise him was impossible.

Utter bollocks.

In what way?

I know you're an intelligent poster, so what would have been 'good enough'? And also, how would that compare to what a premiership club has ever done in a January window?

Premiership survival would have suited me. I realise that was a bit much to ask for.

pompey - sold their best 2 players for a s*** load of money and didnt replace either well enough. barely spent anything.

They also dont have their 14 players out with injury especially to those in key positions. They also have just released their best goalkeeper have they.

Stop comparing us to other sides, it is quite clear we are not in equal positions.

Surely the fact that we've got all these injuries and still aren't in the drop-zone is a positive?

Utter bollocks.

In what way?

Premiership survival would have suited me. I realise that was a bit much to ask for.

Are we relegated then? Shit, I take it all back.

Would anyone be surprised if in the next few days, we see the likes of Wise & Llambias sacked?

why sack them , he brought them in to make sure he spent nowt on players, and they done this.

Keegan worked this out , and challenged them to spend, they wouldnt, he left.

Utter bollocks.

In what way?

So because we're not mathematically gone now, he's done enough? Dear me.

Utter bollocks.

In what way?

Name 6 games we have the slightest chance of winning on current form.

Guest The Libertine

just because im not crying like a bitch about being "omg!! relegated" because we didnt spend £60 million? the squad HAS improved. like ive said many times, not by a huge margin, but its better. if you look at other clubs around us in the table you'll be surprised at how badly some of them have done.

as for the scouting thing, we've signed about 5 promising youngsters from around the world this window and improved the squad a bit on a very tight budget. i wasnt expecting miracles, it appears some people were.

Tripe like that really doesn't help your argument.

there's about 100 pages of people screaming "omg f***ing buy anyone!!!!" "who? f*** it, buy him!!"

they're almost suicidal because we havent significantly improved the squad on a very small budget.

Libertine, please explain "very small budget" we just sold given and zog for around 14/16 mill. We spent about 5.

Perhaps the money was there, perhaps our scouting system failed, perhaps our negotiators are crap & failed at their jobs or Ashley, a man quite obviously clueless about football, is gambling on the idea that these signings are good enough to improve a side with 14 injuries.

Perhaps there are many many far more likely & understandable positions to take than the load of nonsense you're spaffing out and the rest of us are ligitamately annoyed for a good reason.

we got the money for those 2 within the last 48 hours with very little guarantee of either deal going through (failed medicals, n'zog possibly waiting for a better offer) so to spend that money before we get it (with the state of our finances) would be suicidal. the last minute bids (£16 million) were last minute because we got the money last minute. the rest is up to you whether you believe kinnear was really bidding on players for the last few weeks (from the "£10 million" quote).

say what you want about all that, but the squad has improved a bit.

You are right (both). 

The Given sale and then the failed attempt at signing Johnson, showed us their incompetence - it also brings up so many unanswered questions about their motivation for actually strengthening the team.

Utter bollocks.

In what way?

If we'd signed someone like Johnson (young, talented, attacking central midfielder), I think pretty much everyone would have praised the owner for taking a positive step to address our biggest problem through investment in the first team, even if some wanted yet more.

I just can't stand this 'you wanted £60m spent'/'it was impossible for Ashley to win' argument. It's totally inaccurate; simply muck-spreading.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

The only thing that's of any solace at the moment is the fact that Boro and West Brom are worse than us. We're just in a dogfight with the 8 clubs around us for that final relegation spot, in my most humble opinion.

Don't stop believing lads

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1vQSTs4S4EA

Let's see on Sat how good W Brom are.

aye, they've lost Greening and Valero from the centre of their midfield, so I'm hopeful.

It doesn't need saying, but we HAVE to win this weekend

Surely the fact that we've got all these injuries and still aren't in the drop-zone is a positive?

We were one unfair penalty decision away from being there...

We just lost owen & barton once again.

If things do not pick up soon, it is quite clear WE are not a side that will be able to pull ourselves out of the sht if we land in it. We'll have to rely on other teams, problem being their run in of games is not as hard as ours. We look increasingly likely to get relegated. A LOT relies on Martins and us beating West brom, possibly our future in the prem.

Utter bollocks.

In what way?

I didn't say that, you brought up 'premiership survival'.

I always said I would have liked more signings, but I think we did alright considering what is achievable in January.

I can't be bothered typing 'but obviously I would have liked more players' on the bottom of every post.

Guest icemanblue

Then again there's no player, who would also be a realistic target, that you could say would guarantee survival. 

No, but there's strength in numbers.

Utter bollocks.

In what way?

Dear me, you're the one saying we're pretty much relegated.