The Newcastle United Transfer Thread: D-Day [Spoiler: Not Much Happens]

LooneyToonArmy

There are plenty of threads whinging about Kinnear. Don't give me none of that "have you got any new transfer rumours then" bollocks either, the thread won't run off if we don't constantly keep posting in it.

Lowest paid manager in the league, isn't he?

Indeed he is. He's on f*** all apparently compared to even the second lowest paid manager in the league.

What is he on

10k per week apparantly

Cant see Brown, Pulis, Adams, Mowbray, Megson or Spragia being on much more

How do you know any of that?

There was an article floating around a couple of weeks ago. Having trouble finding it at the moment. Kinnear was the lowest paid by a long way if I remember right.

I was referring to him knowing the salaries of so many managers.

It'll all be pure speculation anyway, but I agree it's more than likely that Kinnear is near the very bottom of the pile.

Guest Howaythetoon

Funny how you were full of praise for Keegan last season even though their records are similar.

Like a fly to shit :lol:

KK was not claiming any kind of achievement much less saying he was proud of his record. As for the results under KK I never praised any of the poor performances or defeats and I was actually critical of some of his decisions.

Scouting report: Kyle Naughton, Sheffield United

Sheffield United's Kyle Naughton has the pace, discipline and positioning to become more than an ordinary right-back

I killed two birds with one stone here, as I had always wanted to sample the atmosphere of the Steel City derby and took in Kyle Naughton of Sheffield United into the bargain. I certainly wasn't let down by either experience.

Naughton, a right-back, was up against a tricky winger in Jermaine Johnson but showed immediately that he had the pace to match him - which is always a comforting thought for a defender. Naughton's game remained reasonably cautious because of the threat posed down his side and rightly so - he was disciplined as his side weathered early pressure.

His positioning was good, particularly when he was left facing two players. He did what every good defender does and closed down the man on the ball but made sure not to over-commit himself. As the pass was released he made up ground very quickly and put pressure on the man about to shoot, doing enough to make him hit the ball wide.

He did release himself once early on when he came late and fast around the back of everyone for a deep corner which he hit on the volley only for his shot to be blocked. From the resulting throw-in I simply wrote down "Wow" due to the distance he propelled the ball into the Wednesday box. He was also very good at picking players out from these throws which are clearly a potent weapon in United's armoury.

On the flipside he did need his right winger to bail him out and when the winger was then beaten he failed to get close enough to pressure the ball. I would have liked to see him being more demanding of the ball from his team-mates but this is understandable in someone so young.

He also needs to show the winger down the line when defending in deep areas around his own penalty area as on one occasion an opposing player came inside and shot on goal. But in the main his defending was excellent, such as when he made a brilliantly timed challenge on the run when he not only stopped a dangerous attack but then proceeded to set his own team-mates up for a chance.

Three bits of play showed me that this is no ordinary right-back. First, he played the ball inside his opposite full-back with the outside of his foot, brilliantly curling the ball around the man into the path of his team-mate. He then hit a cross-cum-half-volley, also with the outside of his foot, which fizzed across goal, and finally he received the ball just outside the box and flicked the ball to his winger in mid-air - skill you don't associate with a defender.

As you would imagine he struck the ball very cleanly - particularly with long diagonal passes which rarely missed their target - and on the odd occasion he used his left foot he looked more than capable.

Despite playing just 18 games on loan at Gretna last season and eight so far for Sheffield United, he is clearly getting the hang of things, and as a boyhood Blades fan he has already fulfilled a lifelong ambition shared by so many, playing for the club he supports. However, this is a player who has the talent to set his ambitions far higher.

Age 19

Born Sheffield

Position Defender

Height 5ft 11in

Weight 11st 7lb

From Youth team

Pace 9/10

Attacking 9/10

Passing 9/10

Heading 8/10

Team responsibility 8/10

Valuation £1m

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2008/oct/28/championship-sheffieldunited

Guest Howaythetoon

I often wonder where we'd be if he'd turned the job down and Hughton had still been in charge of the first team.  ???

Or the owner actually took some responsibility and sought to quickly end supporter tension by appointing a capable manager to replace KK, rather than playing the victim card and throwing his toys out of the pram and pushing us further into turmoil.

Regarding your question, another Joe Kinnear would have been found or maybe Ashley would have been forced to take responsibility and appoint a capable manager to fully replace KK.

Why should I be grateful an unemployed manager accepted a well paying job offer.

Who? Who would have taken the job? Who should Ashley have contacted first?

Are you genuinely interested in my opinion or do you expect me to answer that as if I should know?

Guest Howaythetoon

Getting back to transfer rumours. We were told a few weeks back that we need quality players with Premiership or top level pedigree by Kinnear himself and those kind of players would be the ones he'd be looking at, so why are we being linked with young Championship players?

Or is that Wise's list?

I think people will be in for a hell of a shock come February 2nd, Kinnear being one of them, like his predecessor in the previous transfer window.

Getting back to Championship players. We were told a few weeks back that we need quality players with Premiership or top level pedigree by Kinnear himself, so why are we being linked with young Championship players?

Or is that Wise's list?

I think people will be in for a hell of a shock come February 2nd, Kinnear being one of them, like his predecessor.

Kinnear was the one talking about Championship players first of all.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Getting back to Championship players. We were told a few weeks back that we need quality players with Premiership or top level pedigree by Kinnear himself, so why are we being linked with young Championship players?

Or is that Wise's list?

I think people will be in for a hell of a shock come February 2nd, Kinnear being one of them, like his predecessor.

But Wille Mckay said we were buying 5?

I often wonder where we'd be if he'd turned the job down and Hughton had still been in charge of the first team.  ???

Or the owner actually took some responsibility and sought to quickly end supporter tension by appointing a capable manager to replace KK, rather than playing the victim card and throwing his toys out of the pram and pushing us further into turmoil.

Regarding your question, another Joe Kinnear would have been found or maybe Ashley would have been forced to take responsibility and appoint a capable manager to fully replace KK.

Why should I be grateful an unemployed manager accepted a well paying job offer.

Are you genuinely interested in my opinion or do you expect me to answer that as if I should know?

I'd be interested to see who you think Ashley should have realistically gone for and stood a chance of getting.

Scharner is a very good player!

Aye, have liked him for quite a while. Can play centre back or in midfield aswell. Wanted us to get him when Wigan did, sure he only cost them something like £2m!

Guest LucaAltieri

Scharner is a very good player!

Aye, have liked him for quite a while. Can play centre back or in midfield aswell. Wanted us to get him when Wigan did, sure he only cost them something like £2m!

Good player and a cool bastard, too.

Guest Howaythetoon

I'd be interested to see who you think Ashley should have realistically gone for and stood a chance of getting.

Does it matter? Could he have taken a different approach or not to the one he did? Was it either Kinnear or no-one or as you're implying, Kinnear or Hughton and therefore lets all be grateful to good 'ol Joe because we'd be dead and burried by now with Hughton still at the helm which was the only other alternative?

As to your question, I don't know, but I'm positive he could have taken a different approach to the one he did and that there would have been a number of managers out there who would have been interested. According to Baggio Deschamps, Terim and Advocaat at least were all interested :razz:

Does it matter? Could he have taken a different approach or not to the one he did? Was it either Kinnear or no-one or as you're implying, Kinnear or Hughton and therefore lets all be grateful to good 'ol Joe because we'd be dead and burried by now with Hughton still at the helm which was the only other alternative?

So you can't give me any names then?

On second thoughts, you're right it doesn't fucking matter. Forget it.

Guest Howaythetoon

On second thoughts, you're right it doesn't f***ing matter. Forget it.

I edited my most, read above arsey ;)

Guest LucaAltieri

On second thoughts, you're right it doesn't fucking matter. Forget it.

It's all speculation anyway.

The only other bloke who wanted the job was that crazy Turk (from memory).

Would he have been a better appointment?

More or less risky?

It's impossible to know.

One thing's for sure; he'd have been more expensive and more bother to Ashley.

Have just found this on the 606 website:

After all this talk of us losing our senior players like Given (i bloody hope not!) and Owen, what do you think about these rumours from the papers of the youngsters we're looking to sign. I think it said they're from a lower Northern League and play for the same team, Dynamo something. It said ones a rapid striker and one a talented goalkeeper. Future replacements? Or should we be looking for some older proven talent. Im personally quite excited that we're taking more of a youth approach.

Does anyone know which team or players this person is talking about?

Guest Howaythetoon

Or is that Wise's list?

Kinnear was the one talking about Championship players first of all.

Was he? I was left with the impression that he was looking at Premiership players or players of that ilk, hence his comments about Riise and that those PL players he claimed he was after know he's after them.

But then again he talks that much s*** and that often, its hard to remember exactly what he said and when he said it.

Still.... if that's the standard we are looking at I suppose if we ever did get relegated at least they can claim to have planned for that and have the experience to play at that level. We need proven quality with experience not some young hopeful or 5 from the lower leagues.

If Ashley was offering proper contracts & not weekly/monthly contracts I reckon plenty would of. Most managers takeover a club because it is in the shit that is how most of them get jobs.

"I'm proud of what we have achieved so far and I feel we can build on it." - Joe Kinnear

You have achieved absolutely nothing so far Joe and if you're proud of your poor-to-average record as manager of Newcastle United thus far it is no wonder Shay Given, a player with exceptionally high standards, appears to be wanting out if this is how you define success. Of the 14 matches so far only two performances were acceptable, away to both Chelsea and Portsmouth. The rest have been a mixed bag of crap and unease to witness and I include the wins over Aston Villa, Tottenham and most notably West Bromwich Albion at home in that. Wins wise you have only managed a mere 4 victories in your time here despite playing a number of teams of lesser or equal ability and in a good number of those games failed to clinch success from winning positions. This is nothing to be proud of Joe. In fact you ought to be fairly embarrassed and angry with the majority of performances your side has put in under you and the megre points total that has since followed your arrival, like the anger and embarrassment you so often demonstrably display towards the media and match day officials. Perhaps if you did, we would perform much better and collect more points. But then I suppose after years of managing dross and fighting relegation battles I suppose this is living the high life to you. Not to me it ain't, it's f***ing awful to watch, painful to see and simply not good enough. Must do better - make it a new years resolution along with no more spouting absolute nonsense to the media.

You do realise he's talking about the team ('we') as a whole and not about himself ('I')?

Even if he was talking about 'his' achievements I think he's done an excellent job under the circumstances, certainly exceeded my expectations anyway.