The Newcastle United Transfer Thread: D-Day [Spoiler: Not Much Happens]

LooneyToonArmy

Newcastle midfielder Geremi has told skysports.com that he could be ready to leave St James' Park in search of regular first-team football.

The former Real Madrid, Chelsea and Middlesbrough man has not started a match under Magpies boss Joe Kinnear since the 2-2 home draw with Stoke City on 6th December.

Geremi, who is under contract until summer 2010 and captained the club for a stint at the start of the 2007/08 campaign, has made just 12 appearances all season.

The versatile Cameroon international, who is equally comfortable at right-back, has been linked with Turkish giants Besiktas or a January switch to France.

Involved

Geremi, 30, told skysports.com: "I want to be involved on the football field. I am nearing the end of my career and I don't want to sit on the bench.

"I heard there is a bid for me from a club in Europe but I am waiting to decide what to do.

"To be honest, I want to play. If not, we will have to take a decision to satisfy everyone."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_4759489,00.html

IF we can get a million or two and replace him with someone younger, I'd be all for it.  Knowing Ashley we'll probably get about 11 million for him though.

Newcastle midfielder Geremi has told skysports.com that he could be ready to leave St James' Park in search of regular first-team football.

The former Real Madrid, Chelsea and Middlesbrough man has not started a match under Magpies boss Joe Kinnear since the 2-2 home draw with Stoke City on 6th December.

Geremi, who is under contract until summer 2010 and captained the club for a stint at the start of the 2007/08 campaign, has made just 12 appearances all season.

The versatile Cameroon international, who is equally comfortable at right-back, has been linked with Turkish giants Besiktas or a January switch to France.

Involved

Geremi, 30, told skysports.com: "I want to be involved on the football field. I am nearing the end of my career and I don't want to sit on the bench.

"I heard there is a bid for me from a club in Europe but I am waiting to decide what to do.

"To be honest, I want to play. If not, we will have to take a decision to satisfy everyone."

as long as we get a good replacement, heres the door geremi :)

Involved

as long as we get a good replacement, heres the door geremi :)

Before we let him go we should get a player in first. He hasn't got any pace, but at least he can spot a pass.

Portsmouth boss Tony Adams has made Newcastle midfielder Joey Barton his top target in the January transfer window, skysports.com understands.

Adams is in the market for midfield reinforcements after seeing Lassana Diarra move to Real Madrid and Papa Bouba Diop suffer a long-term injury.

Pompey have money to spend this month as Adams looks to rebuild his squad at Fratton Park and he is a big fan of the one-time England international.

Adams is believed to have sounded out a move for the 26-year-old as he believes Barton would be the ideal replacement for Diarra.

Portsmouth's pursuit of Barton has been given a boost with the news that the midfielder is due to return to action within the next week after recovering from the knee injury which has sidelined him since November.

The former Manchester City ace, who was available for £2million in the summer, had impressed in the Newcastle side before suffering his injury against Wigan.

Newcastle could be tempted to cash-in on Barton if Portsmouth make a suitable offer as Magpies boss Joe Kinnear looks to raise funds for his own signings this month

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11674_4759610,00.html

Portsmouth boss Tony Adams has made Newcastle midfielder Joey Barton his top target in the January transfer window, skysports.com understands.

Adams is in the market for midfield reinforcements after seeing Lassana Diarra move to Real Madrid and Papa Bouba Diop suffer a long-term injury.

Pompey have money to spend this month as Adams looks to rebuild his squad at Fratton Park and he is a big fan of the one-time England international.

Adams is believed to have sounded out a move for the 26-year-old as he believes Barton would be the ideal replacement for Diarra.

Portsmouth's pursuit of Barton has been given a boost with the news that the midfielder is due to return to action within the next week after recovering from the knee injury which has sidelined him since November.

The former Manchester City ace, who was available for £2million in the summer, had impressed in the Newcastle side before suffering his injury against Wigan.

Newcastle could be tempted to cash-in on Barton if Portsmouth make a suitable offer as Magpies boss Joe Kinnear looks to raise funds for his own signings this month

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11674_4759610,00.html

Bollocks will we sell him, he's our best cm and imo, it's our weakest area.

We can not afford to lose a midfielder until another one comes in.  In any case, if it does come down to selling Barton we wnt daft money for him, or at least our cash back.

2 million my arse.

As much as I'd like rid of Barton, we can't possibly let a central midfielder go this window.

Exactly I'm confused as to why people would be pleased with the likes of Butt, Geremi and Shola leaving. I know they aren't brilliant but people don't seem to realise the situation we're in. We're in a relegation battle with a wafer thin squad, how is selling players going to help? It's January, clubs aren't going to be willing to flog as readily as they would in the summer. What if we let the three of them go and we don't get adequate replacements in on time? We'll either end up with no one, or an equally average/poor player.

The club is an injury crisis away from deep shit, we need to be adding to the squad not reducing it.

As much as I'd like rid of Barton, we can't possibly let a central midfielder go this window.

Exactly I'm confused as to why people would be pleased with the likes of Butt, Geremi and Shola leaving. I know they aren't brilliant but people don't seem to realise the situation we're in. We're in a relegation battle with a wafer thin squad, how is selling players going to help? It's January, clubs aren't going to be willing to flog as readily as they would in the summer. What if we let the three of them go and we don't get adequate replacements in on time? We'll either end up with no one, or an equally average/poor player.

The club is an injury crisis away from deep s***, we need to be adding to the squad not reducing it.

ashley wont spend...so we can´t rebuild the squad before they leave! the sooner the better! Know we could go down....but the players u mention is easy to replace.....and they are not the players who would keep us up anyway!

caroll, xisco could easily do ameobis job....not worse at leat! butt is the biggest joke! why he is getting a new deal is the weirdest thing i can think of!

dont care about our position at the end of the season as long we are trying to do something long term. That means 6-7-8 players have to leave the sooner the better!

The club is an injury crisis away from deep s***, we need to be adding to the squad not reducing it.

ashley wont spend...so we can´t rebuild the squad before they leave! the sooner the better! Know we could go down....but the players u mention is easy to replace.....and they are not the players who would keep us up anyway!

caroll, xisco could easily do ameobis job....not worse at leat! butt is the biggest joke! why he is getting a new deal is the weirdest thing i can think of!

dont care about our position at the end of the season as long we are trying to do something long term. That means 6-7-8 players have to leave the sooner the better!

You'd care about our position if we were in the bottom 3, sorry but we need a couple of short term fixes to see us through.  I'm afraid the long term plan needs to be put on hold for now.

You'd care about our position if we were in the bottom 3, sorry but we need a couple of short term fixes to see us through.  I'm afraid the long term plan needs to be put on hold for now.

im afraid your right! and i know it can be difficult to do good business in this window! my opinion is just that we need to get rid of 6-8 players before we can get a decent squad again! if we can´t start now it will take even longer to rebuild! hopefully we can start all over again in the summer and still be in the pl...at least about 3 months until we sack our new manager which will come in at the of the season :crazy2:

TBH, we may need to get rid of 6-8 players but that pretty much the guts of our thin squad.  And going off the last few transfer windows i'm not expecting much from this one or the next summer transfer window.

Løvenkrands got his contract cancelled with schalke today.....stay away joe stay away :snod:

We nearly signed him a few years back before he went to Rangers,  I can't remember why we pulled out but I remember him saying he would show NUFC what they missed out on or something, much like when John Salako said the same thing when I believe we signed David Ginola instead.

This winter kind of reminds me of 2006-2007. We went into the winter thinking that we all thought we'd make some big signings because the squad was literally falling to pieces. Unfortunately, all we got was the Gooch on loan.

January is just a bitch. Nobody wants to sell, everybody wants to buy. Unless you're rolling in cash it's a fairly safe bet that your club won't be doing any business.

Personally I think we'll sell no-one and buy no-one (excluding various youngsters) this winter. And if that happened, I wouldn't be too bothered. We're not getting relegated this year unless something truly ridiculous happens.

Summer is when you buy players. Experience has told me that you should never, ever expect anything from January.