FA rescind Beye red card

Dave

I thought it was a three match ban only for a red card for violent conduct. I think it's a one game band for the Beye scenario.

2 yellows 1 match

straight red 3 match

Wrong. LoveItIfWeBeatU is correct.

As things stand we'll miss Beye for one game.

© PLAYERS SENT OFF UNDER LAW 12 (4) and (5)

A Player who is dismissed from the Field of Play for denying a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity by physical means or by handling the ball, will be suspended automatically from all approved First Team matches commencing forthwith, until such time as his Club's First Team has completed its next match in an approved Competition.

Guest Hoop Blah

Yep, and right the way down to Sunday League level.

Well how about a second ref, one to be ahead of the ball and one behind it wherever possible. Though I'm fairly sure sports that do already employ technology have not implemented it through all levels of the sport.

And who's decision is final?

As for video replays, the best arguement against them is any Sky coverage of a game with a controversial decision in it.  How many times do they sit there with their panel of 'experts' who all have a different opinion on whether it was a foul/goal/penalty etc etc

The only technology they could introduce is one for the factual decision of whether or not the ball is out of play.  Apart from that the game will be slowed down far too much by having video technology involved, and in far too many cases the video is inconclusive.

As for Beye's tackle last night.  It was borderline for me, as a neutral.  Although you're all pretty convinced, I think it's a very very close call as to whether he took the man before the ball and so I can't believe the slating Styles has taken over giving the decision.  I'm still not convinced either way having seen the replays this morning.

Don't know if this has been posted yet...

Newcastle United v Manchester City

AND THEN CAME MONDAY!!

My opening paragraph is thrown out the window following yet another Rob Styles penalty fiasco and the credibility of referees is sent spiralling downwards by his “mate” Graham Poll unbelievably defending him on Setanta.

Had this had been another ref, I am certain Poll would have been scathing over the awarding of a penalty but it was one of the few mates he has in the game so he skirted round the issue.

Instead, he talked about how it can still be a foul even if the ball is played first. In essence, that is correct but that is not what happened in this instance.

The ball was won clearly and any contact between defender and attacker was merely based on momentum. In fact, I am not convinced that there was any contact as the City player appeared to jump over the tackle.

The Laws state that a free kick/penalty should be awarded when the ball is played when the tackle is reckless, dangerous or with excessive force. This was clearly not like that.

From his position, Styles could not possibly have given a foul. He was fifteen yards behind play with a Newcastle player appearing to obliterate his view.

He would not have been able to assess accurately if Beye had got the ball or not. In essence he guessed, which is unbelievable especially for someone of his experience.

Styles has had quite a few penalty howlers over the last few seasons but being one of the blue eyed boys with the authorities, he usually gets away with it, as happened recently with the “non” penalty he gave for Manchester United against Bolton.

A usual ploy from Poll and his closest allies has been to let the assistant referee carry the can when the shit hits the fan but I cannot see how on this occasion he would have been involved at all in the penalty decision.

The bottom line is that a Newcastle side who are starting to show some fight were left to play well over an hour with only ten men and admirably got a point.

The stats show that they had little possession and Manchester City had tons more shots than them but on factual decisions, this should have been 2-1 to the Magpies and not a 2-2 draw.

Verdict: 2-1 to Newcastle instead of 2-2

http://www.jeffwinterentertainmentandmedia...oi/0809011.html

Guest Hoop Blah
The thing about Poll's comments, I see that as a position he's adopted. He'll always try and back the refs because he knows what the jobs like. he's not going to say anything to make their job more difficult. He's a spokesperson for ref's and as such he's completley biased.

I've never read his column or watched him on the telly, but, according to Mick Dennis on Sky this morning Poll has actually been quite outspoken against a the refs since going into punditry and has ruffled a fair few feathers along the way.

I think Dennis is reasonably close to Poll, but I can see Poll saying anything to make himself stand out and create a bit of attention for himself, which might well be the case here.

Don't think this has been posted yet. I've suddenly softened ever so slightly on the fat, orange, shit-scared-of-a-bit-of-snow, Smoggie media whore:

Newcastle United v Manchester City

AND THEN CAME MONDAY!!

My opening paragraph is thrown out the window following yet another Rob Styles penalty fiasco and the credibility of referees is sent spiralling downwards by his “mate” Graham Poll unbelievably defending him on Setanta.

Had this had been another ref, I am certain Poll would have been scathing over the awarding of a penalty but it was one of the few mates he has in the game so he skirted round the issue.

Instead, he talked about how it can still be a foul even if the ball is played first. In essence, that is correct but that is not what happened in this instance.

The ball was won clearly and any contact between defender and attacker was merely based on momentum. In fact, I am not convinced that there was any contact as the City player appeared to jump over the tackle.

The Laws state that a free kick/penalty should be awarded when the ball is played when the tackle is reckless, dangerous or with excessive force. This was clearly not like that.

From his position, Styles could not possibly have given a foul. He was fifteen yards behind play with a Newcastle player appearing to obliterate his view.

He would not have been able to assess accurately if Beye had got the ball or not. In essence he guessed, which is unbelievable especially for someone of his experience.

Styles has had quite a few penalty howlers over the last few seasons but being one of the blue eyed boys with the authorities, he usually gets away with it, as happened recently with the “non” penalty he gave for Manchester United against Bolton.

A usual ploy from Poll and his closest allies has been to let the assistant referee carry the can when the shit hits the fan but I cannot see how on this occasion he would have been involved at all in the penalty decision.

The bottom line is that a Newcastle side who are starting to show some fight were left to play well over an hour with only ten men and admirably got a point.

The stats show that they had little possession and Manchester City had tons more shots than them but on factual decisions, this should have been 2-1 to the Magpies and not a 2-2 draw.

Verdict: 2-1 to Newcastle instead of 2-2

EDIT: bollocks. :lol:

I'm gonna have to remember that rule about it being a free kick if you win the ball by  a tackle that uses excessive force for the next bout of 5 a side! :-)

Guest Heneage

Sometimes you've gotta think if this happened at five a side or your local pub town would the penalty be given? I reckon not, I reckon the striker would be told to get up.

The thing about Poll's comments, I see that as a position he's adopted. He'll always try and back the refs because he knows what the jobs like. he's not going to say anything to make their job more difficult. He's a spokesperson for ref's and as such he's completley biased.

I've never read his column or watched him on the telly, but, according to Mick Dennis on Sky this morning Poll has actually been quite outspoken against a the refs since going into punditry and has ruffled a fair few feathers along the way.

I think Dennis is reasonably close to Poll, but I can see Poll saying anything to make himself stand out and create a bit of attention for himself, which might well be the case here.

Poll backs his mates in refereeing circles & has no problem criticising those he didn't like.

According to his book, Rob Styles is one of his best mates in football.

Even Winter saying it was wrong. f***ing hell.

To be honest, it reads like someone who has a grudge (it is Jeff 'Geordie dickheads' Winter afterall). Still correct though and glad to see pressure being put on that cunt Styles and the joke that is Graham Poll.

That tackle just reminded me what a good defender Beye is and just why he is such a cult hero at Newcastle. I've seen nicky Butt give away at least two penalties attempting to tackle players in similar style this season and not get anywhere close. The fact that Beye made the tackle on a quicksilver player like Robinho after giving him a yard just showed his undoubted class really.

That tackle just reminded me what a good defender Beye is and just why he is such a cult hero at Newcastle. I've seen nicky Butt give away at least two penalties attempting to tackle players in similar style this season and not get anywhere close. The fact that Beye made the tackle on a quicksilver player like Robinho after giving him a yard just showed his undoubted class really.

I'd given up the goal as the ball came over (lovely ball from SWP mind) but in the split second it became clear that Beye was going to put a tackle in, I never doubted that he'd get the ball, I had total confidence in him in that moment. What a waste of a fantastic tackle.

I'd given up the goal as the ball came over (lovely ball from SWP mind) but in the split second it became clear that Beye was going to put a tackle in, I never doubted that he'd get the ball, I had total confidence in him in that moment. What a waste of a fantastic tackle.

It's sad to think we'd have been better off if he hadn't even tried to get the ball. Depressing really.

Even Winter saying it was wrong. f***ing hell.

To be honest, it reads like someone who has a grudge (it is Jeff 'Geordie dickheads' Winter afterall). Still correct though and glad to see pressure being put on that cunt Styles and the joke that is Graham Poll.

Maybe so, but Dermot Gallagher was on the side of Beye too on SSN this evening. Nice to see they don't all just stick up for each other.

Sky have got the best deal with Dermot Gallagher, he's putting forward a very fair opinion every time and not just blindly backing his mates.  I don't think there's any coincidence he was possibly the best respected referee during his time.

I never doubted for a second Poll would back his mate.

in one of todays papres there was a pic of the incident. (may have been the sun back page...but its not on the website)which nailed it. foot to ball acroos the front of the man.

Aye it was the Sun.

Looks like good news (touch wood)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/oct/22/premierleague-newcastleunited

Newcastle United are likely to succeed in having Habib Beye cleared for Saturday's north-east derby against Sunderland, with the referee Rob Styles expected to admit that he got a tight call wrong after examining replays of Beye's challenge on the Manchester City striker Robinho in Monday's 2-2 draw.

A further indication that Styles is perceived to have got a second high-profile penalty award in three weeks wrong came in the decision not to let him referee a Premier League game this weekend. Instead he will be fourth official at Stamford Bridge on Sunday for Chelsea's match with Liverpool, before returning to the middle in a Championship game between Bristol City and Sheffield United next Tuesday.

Newcastle's appeal over Beye's sending-off will be heard by the Football Association tomorrow. Refereeing sources maintain that Styles has not been dropped, with Beye's dismissal viewed as a misjudgment rather than a blatant mistake such as the penalty Styles recently gave Manchester United against Bolton, to whom he later apologised.