Shearer Yes or No?

Guest sicko2ndbest
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

No. I don't want to see the new owners pander to the mob again. I don't know why people think we couldn't get anyone else, if we get taken over i expect we will be quite attractive, Redknapp has just left Pompey for Spurs ffs.

Spurs are historically a bigger team than Pompey though, and have a better squad of players to work with. I can understand why he has done so.

Btw following on from what 2J said about us being a laughing stock, it always bothers me to an irrational degree that you get various numpties in the media saying 'Shearer is who the Newcastle fans want' based on asking about four people, as though it's a universal opinion.

Nah, definitely wouldntwant him here, not yet anyway. This is such a big appointment,  it needs to be right and for me its gotta be someone who's gonnna recognise the defincies with certain players in our squad, and put any sort of favouritsm aside.

Shearer strikes me as someone who would put personalities ahead of actual ability.

I dont think he'd build a technically proficient squad like SBR, but one full of strong personalites with dogged determination like Souness.

On the plus side, i imagine if he did a crap job and knew it he'd quit....

Guest sicko2ndbest

Anyone who thinks it was Roeder and not Shearer that got us into that european spot a few seasons ago is deluded tbh

Shearer demands and commands utmost respect. He is a private man who would promote NUFC into a high profile club, thus creating a feel good factor that would get sponsors and fans flooding in.

I can see him doing things simply, not overcomplicating tactics for instance. He is 100% the man we need at this moment

Nah, definitely wouldntwant him here, not yet anyway. This is such a big appointment,  it needs to be right and for me its gotta be someone who's gonnna recognise the defincies with certain players in our squad, and put any sort of favouritsm aside.

Shearer strikes me as someone who would put personalities ahead of actual ability.

I dont think he'd build a technically proficient squad like SBR, but one full of strong personalites with dogged determination like Souness.

What dogged determination was in a Souness NUFC team?

We tended to get done doggy style buts all i can think of.

The one thing to think about with Shearer is what Keane's doing down the road. He went in there with fuck all experience and is doing relatively well I suppose (:hmm:). He put aside previous disagreements with Quinn too, and has dispelled similar thoughts that he'd be a stubborn fucker like when he played.

He's learnt from the master though...

The one thing to think about with Shearer is what Keane's doing down the road. He went in there with fuck all experience and is doing relatively well I suppose (:hmm:). He put aside previous disagreements with Quinn too, and has dispelled similar thoughts that he'd be a stubborn fucker like when he played.

It's all down to the money, nothing more, nothing less

Fair enough. :thup:

What dogged determination was in a Souness NUFC team?

We tended to get done doggy style buts all i can think of.

:lol:

He tried to build a determined team full of grafters who would play "proper football". Failed, but tried. Its clear that Shearer backed him all the way, whilst not supporting SBR's decisions with Bellamy etc.

The one thing to think about with Shearer is what Keane's doing down the road. He went in there with f*** all experience and is doing relatively well I suppose (:hmm:). He put aside previous disagreements with Quinn too, and has dispelled similar thoughts that he'd be a stubborn fucker like when he played.

Hmmm, not quite.

Yes it does help but remember Souness had 38 million to spend.

No, i wouldn't. It's too soon on so many levels. Not only do we know nothing of his managerial ability - he hasn't proved himself at any level whatsoever - but i just don't know if it would have that positive an effect on the community/crowd. Yes, to 95% of people he is a legend, but he isn't forgotten-about enough yet, a la Keegan's two appointments - it wouldn't be as euphoric as it could be five or six more years down the line.

Also, we've just lost Keegan - he'd still be in his shadow, regardless of his stature.

Not forgetting, the media will be on his and our backs instantly, which does make a difference to things. It effects preparation, and it would effect how easily he would settle into the job. We've seen it with the last two managers in Keegan and Kinnear.

Too soon, get someone proven in. I'm not sure who is, but Shearer's not the one for me atm.

Agreed. I think most managers could have achieved Premiership survival with Sunderland if they had £70m to spend. They've underachieved if they ask me, given the money they've spent. They won't finish in, or anywhere near, the top half this season imo.

We desperately need something special this time around also, and i belive Shearer can give us that, just cause he can get this place buzzing again, much like Keegan last year.

Yes from me. Also can't think of many, if any, better options at this very moment.

Shearer possibly learnt a bit from Sir Bobby? I imagine he picked up a few things at least. Personally I think Shearer would be the one we need at the moment, someone that can get us fighting and someone with the spine to make the tough decisions. I would like him here, although I admit it is a bit of a risk.

Anyone who thinks it was Roeder and not Shearer that got us into that european spot a few seasons ago is deluded tbh

Shearer demands and commands utmost respect. He is a private man who would promote NUFC into a high profile club, thus creating a feel good factor that would get sponsors and fans flooding in.

I can see him doing things simply, not overcomplicating tactics for instance. He is 100% the man we need at this moment

Come on man, you dont really beleive that do you? I'd put what happened all down to the teams response to no longer playing under the souness regime. We see it happen all the time, Spurs will go on a similar run now...

For what its worth, i agree with the rest of your post re: his character.

Though he's not the man for the job for me.

Shearer would be far too much of a gamble, a gamble which we probably can't afford to take at this time.

Agreed. How devastating would it be for Shearer to be the man that took us down?

I couldn't handle Shearer being in charge at the moment. I just don't think it would work.