Newcastle United 2 - 1 West Brom - 28/10/08 - post match reaction from page 24

Dave

I do think the second half performance was partly due to fatigue as we did work extremely hard in the first half.

Also, Kinnear was just so desperate for a win, he couldn't help himself with the more defensive approach.

Hopefully, now the first win under Kinnear is out of the way, we he can just loosen up a bit and be more positive over the 90.

To Kinnear's credit he got the starting lineup right, which was a pretty big deal tonight.

Good post, completely agree.

I feel as though i'm being a bit over the top, but Christ.

Aye, three points. I do feel marginally better. Do Wigan, Fulham, Bolton and Stoke all play different teams tomorrow night (ie, not each other i mean)? We could be 19th again. :lol:

Serious papering of cracks though. Kinnear hasn't got a clue. He's like the uber-Allardyce.

Great performance in 1st half, shockin in 2nd

Typicle NUFC coming out 2-0 up and deciding to sit back on it, everyone knew they'd get one back and we'd shite ourselves for half an hour...as usual.

Still 3pts, need to be looking to beat Villa now tho.

I was too pissed off to be nervous tbh. Was just so predictable that they were gonna score... fortunately, West Brom are shite. Shame Kinnear didn't acknowledge that.

Andy Gray can say what he likes about their nice passing football; they were shite and we should have knocked a bundle past them.

Newcastle United doesn't consolidate a victory. We learnt that with Allardyce - it's just not what we do. We've got players there that are too vulnerable to sit back and defend a result. We're just not good enough at it! We're back to Allardyce only worse like this. We're quite clearly a footballing side, if we put our mind to it, we've got a lot of quality in an attacking sense. Don't play all-out defense with an attacking unit.

Crying out loud.

Fucking woeful management.

Woah now, common lets not go far to far now, we do have a problem with trying to sit back and defend leads far to much at the moment but we are not worse then we were with Allardyce!  With Allardyce we used to defend the 0-0 from the start!.. against Derby now less!  We played zero Football, at least now we can pass the ball on the floor.

:rolleyes: Nailz.

;) Aye, that's probably fair enough. Still frustrating as fuck though. We are in trouble, no two ways about it, if he's gonna stop our good footballers playing football.

West Brom are no mugs this year

Until Manu they had only lost by the odd goal to Villa, Arsenal, beat boro away, beat fulham, beat west ham

Good result

A bit of bloody sense at last. Kinnear deserves a lot of praise IMO for what he's achieved here, not contempt.

Definitely, while I can see the mistake being made as clearly as everyone else the criticism of Kinnear is over the top.  We'd lost 5 games in a row before he came in, now in his first four games in charge we've gotten two draws a win and one loss.

Some huge over-reactions on here tbh, to a win as well. We're not really in a position to be critical of the standard of football in the heat of a relegation battle and Kinnear has got us 2 draws against strong opposition and a win. To come out and knock that while calling for the man's head is just ridiculous imo. Take it for what it is and move on - the players have some confidence back now with a bit more space and hopefully won't drop deep like that again.

Edit: Teasy beat me to it  :blush:

Guest timmy boy

Duff had an awsome run in the second half. Beating 3 men, nutmegging one on the way. Class.

Also near the end where he picked it up, beat a couple of players and won the free kick in injury time to soak up pressure and buy us some time.He is looking better this season but that's not really hard compared to how woeful he has been for us.At least he is beating players now.He needs to push on from here and get some consistency.

I said i'd reserve judgement of Kinnear till after tonight. I was encouraged by his obvious motivational skills, but tactically, things were left to be desired.

Tonight did absolutely nothing for me to suggest he's got his head screwed on. Two games in a row now - scared to death, negative, consolidatory, shocking substitutions, not deserving to win on either occassion. We were great in the first half but that merely qualifies the point - a leopard doesn't change his spots. Negative manager - which is exactly what we don't need.

The fact of the matter is, yeah - three nice tasty points - but it papers over the cracks.

Guest Heneage

I've not seen anyone calling for Kinnear's head tonight. ???

Collective questions have to be asked of that second half, that's all.

I know what you mean. Normally we improve in second halfs. City, Everton. His changes are still dodgy for me to.

I was too pissed off to be nervous tbh. Was just so predictable that they were gonna score... fortunately, West Brom are shite. Shame Kinnear didn't acknowledge that.

Andy Gray can say what he likes about their nice passing football; they were shite and we should have knocked a bundle past them.

Newcastle United doesn't consolidate a victory. We learnt that with Allardyce - it's just not what we do. We've got players there that are too vulnerable to sit back and defend a result. We're just not good enough at it! We're back to Allardyce only worse like this. We're quite clearly a footballing side, if we put our mind to it, we've got a lot of quality in an attacking sense. Don't play all-out defense with an attacking unit.

Crying out loud.

Fucking woeful management.

Woah now, common lets not go far to far now, we do have a problem with trying to sit back and defend leads far to much at the moment but we are not worse then we were with Allardyce!  With Allardyce we used to defend the 0-0 from the start!.. against Derby now less!  We played zero Football, at least now we can pass the ball on the floor.

:rolleyes: Nailz.

;) Aye, that's probably fair enough. Still frustrating as fuck though. We are in trouble, no two ways about it, if he's gonna stop our good footballers playing football.

Personally I don't believe that's going to be a problem.  I think at the moment the players are getting nervous and sitting too deep because of that, which is compounded by our better players being unfit and getting tired early.  Kinnear mentioned after the game that he was unhappy with how the team sat back too much in the second half.  I think with some more confidence and fitness our second half performances will improve.

These last 2 games remind me of Keegan's first few in charge tbh, putting up a fight in the first half only to capitulate in the second - Villa and the Arsenal FA Cup game in particular were quite similar performance-wise.

Without producing some sort of corny comparison just to mention Everton, I do feel the way both our sides "defend" a lead are similar. And both quite worrying. Kinnear's static nature seemed to be apparent in the 2nd half, and although I'm no manager, taking off Martins was bizarre, as was Gutierrez's change. Perhaps because they've come back from injuries. Still, surely put N'Zogbia or someone one who can cause them some sort of problems.

But, who am I to criticse. At least you can hold onto a 2-0 lead...

Fucking hell that was absolutely woeful, well the second half was. They were there for the taking first half, then absolutely awful tactics in the second from Kinnear, absolutely awful, which allowed them to get back in. But still, a much needed three points.

I agree with many on here that we sat back too much in the 2nd half however, I also think our front players need a kick up the arse for bolloxing so many chances, we could have had the game dead and buried in the first half if either had a brain or first touch.

Was really good to see the game out, was sure they were going to nick another goal late on. Bartons start to the game and Beye were highlights today. We should have exploited their weak right side more. Everytime Zuiverloon had a one-on-one he shat himself, and Donk wasn't the most reliable centre-half I've seen. Still, with Martins, Gutierrez and Barton not in full match fitness, we lack the ability to threat opposition with this line-up. Can't wait to see Owen back and a full-time managerial appointment.

Also - and I know it was only a couple of minutes - Xisco looked no better than a Spanish version of Carroll when he came on.

Anyone else think Joe K. looked like death warmed up tonight? I know it was brass monkey weather but he spent 99% of the game sat upon the royal heater warming his onions and only popped up a couple of times. Nothing worse than cold weather to bring on the angina that's for sure. Hope he had the TNT handy just in case and he needs to wear a wooly hat instead of a tin one.

A spot of realism.

Shola did well, but he's a bit like Heskey for England he bashes around a bit and creates a few chances but ultimatlely presents zero goal threat.  Problem is that we don't have a Rooney to play with him so he sould be dropped.

The second half was poor but we've had a horrible run and were bricking it, you could feel it in the crowd no one believed in us really.  JK can't be blamed for the performance too much, he made one big mistake and that was taking off Martins for Xisco it should have been Shola.

In a word relieved.

Some huge over-reactions on here tbh, to a win as well. We're not really in a position to be critical of the standard of football in the heat of a relegation battle and Kinnear has got us 2 draws against strong opposition and a win. To come out and knock that while calling for the man's head is just ridiculous imo. Take it for what it is and move on - the players have some confidence back now with a bit more space and hopefully won't drop deep like that again.

Edit: Teasy beat me to it  :blush:

We would have gained more confidence if we'd gone at them in the second half than we will have from sitting back and letting them come at us, we gave them the goal because if we had put them under some pressure I couldn't see them scoring.

Did Duff gift them the ball which they then played forward to wrong foot Coloccini?

A bit of bloody sense at last. Kinnear deserves a lot of praise IMO for what he's achieved here, not contempt.

We were lucky to get a win tonight against a team who could pass but had nothing at either end and he made some of the strangest substitutions I've seen for a long time, I'll not praise him for that.

would've been nice to see martins anticipate a few ameobi flick ons like (i know, i know), you dont get much standing square of your strike partner. barton and guthrie far too square for their goal, and aye duff gifted it to them but it happens, i'm getting sick of enrique like, looks heavy, never plays a pass confidently, just very un-convincing.

Jonas made a massive difference and it was nice not to have to shout at Butt, hopefully barton and guthrie can get a bit more organised and keep him out of the team, for the rest of time.

a horrible second half, but still, Barton 2-1, £75 :frantic:

f***ing hell that was absolutely woeful, well the second half was. They were there for the taking first half, then absolutely awful tactics in the second from Kinnear, absolutely awful, which allowed them to get back in. But still, a much needed three points.

Agreed, I still can't work out what benefit we were getting from sitting back again, it was doing my head in.