Given linked with Spurs

Syrette

I'd take Gomes and £5m.

Big fan of Given, but that would be a great deal.

mackems.gif

Good one.

Also, I love the implication he's likely to win things at Spurs. :lol: Shay looked really desperate to leave when he was celebrating Oba's goals last night btw. Or not.

Has never won anything, so why the hell would he want to go to spurs..

Because now Harry is there they are winners! Although Harry is averaging 1 major trophy for every 25 years in management, so if Shay plays for them until he is 55 he might win something.

Guest Howaythetoon

Shay wont be going anywhere. He'll finish his career at Newcastle unless the club decided to cash in. Like Shearer before him he still foolishly clings onto the dream of winning silverware with Newcastle before his career is over and it is that and his settlement in Newcastle that will keep him here.

I'd take Gomes and £5m.

Do you write this kind of stuff so you can just get quoted?  It works, i will give you that.  Or is it just to be controversial?

I don't see in a million years how that is possibly a good deal.

Guest The Libertine

he'll probably have played 500 games for us by the end of next season. we could have done with a few more players like him in that time.

For fear of getting back to the paranoia about the press but its funny that after a good win last night, our 2nd on the trot, that the press should come up with a story to try and unsettle our most established player.

They just cant have us finding any kind of stabilty.

I'd take Gomes and £5m.

Do you write this kind of stuff so you can just get quoted?  It works, i will give you that.  Or is it just to be controversial?

I don't see in a million years how that is possibly a good deal.

I'm pretty sure he was taking the piss.

Shay wont be going anywhere. He'll finish his career at Newcastle unless the club decided to cash in. Like Shearer before him he still foolishly clings onto the dream of winning silverware with Newcastle before his career is over and it is that and his settlement in Newcastle that will keep him here.

foolish or not, dont knock it!

Guest Alan Shearer 9

I'd love to punch Harry Redknapp in the face, then Jamie Redknapp in the balls, and then repeatedly punch Louise in the fanny with my dong while the other two are screaming in agony.

Guest optimistic nit

I'd take Gomes and £5m.

until we are stable again any star newcastle player (given) going can only mean bad things for the club.

Guest optimistic nit

shite, as usual.

• 2 weeks later...

Given is going nowhere - Kinnear

Newcastle intermim manager Joe Kinnear has warned Tottenham goalkeeper Shay Given is not for sale.

Spurs manager Harry Redknapp has made no secret of his admiration for the Republic of Ireland international.

But Kinnear said: "I can tell Harry not to bother even picking up the telephone because there is no way Shay's leaving.

"We want to build up Newcastle United and get good players in, not good players out. And why would he want to go to Spurs? This is a bigger club."

Given, 32, has returned to top form after finally shaking off a series of injury problems.

Kinnear, who remains Magpies' manager on a temporary basis, added: "Shay has a lot of presence - all great goalkeepers have it.

"He reminds me a lot of Pat Jennings, who I played in front of for most of my time at Spurs.

"I have the utmost respect for Shay Given, as have most people in the game. He has vast experience and he is vital to us - and not only that, he is a decent fella."

Tottenham's first-choice keeper is currently Brazilian Heurelho Gomes.

Signed by previous boss Juande Ramos from PSV Eindhoven last summer for £7.8m, his erratic displays have attracted much criticism this season.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/7730100.stm

:coolsmiley: