Given linked with Spurs

Syrette

Guest nufc_kev

Needs to shut his fkn mouth, nothing at all to do with this c***..

Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Twatattoni has recommended Newcastle goalkeeper Shay Given to at least three top Italian clubs. (Daily Mail)

FYP. Not a chance he'd move to Italy IMO. He wouldn't put his family through such a lifestyle change.

Would almost not mind Shay going for a couple of reasons, one to show the rest of the world he's as good as he is (when a stupid amount of people I speak to rate Reina, Almunia and Cudicini higher) and also to show the fans here without a clue how much we'd miss him.

If we are actually going down the shitter, might as well sell our best players  :pow:

Find it a bit strange that Trappatoni would be touting him around like this without Given's blessing.  If he wants to stay, surely he would have a quiet word with Trappatoni and say thanks for the compliments but I don't want to move.

If Shay was to leave, I would much prefer him to go abroad that to Spurs.

Thought he was diplomatic in the Sky interview yesterday without being particularly supportive of Kinnear when he said that he couldn't say whether JFK should be given the job because no-one knows what is going on at the club - a bit different to Duff.

I think Given in particular seems to have been distressed by recent events and so for the first time may be considering his options.  I think it would be difficult decision for him to leave especially not knowing what could happen.  If he left and then Shearer became manager shortly afterwards, I think he would be gutted about that.

I think the Club would be daft to sell him unless he asked to leave.  Although we are well stocked with goalkeepers, he is one of our best assets and I would prefer that the next manager made the decisions about who should leave rather than an interim manager and Dennis Wise.  If Wise and co are trying to sell him just to raise cash then again, it is another example of how little regard they have for a player who has been a superb servant to the club.

Guest elbee909

I've been told shay want's to leave now, say's the club has been a joke the last 4 years

Surely he only means the last year and a bit, everything was great prior to that.

I've been told shay want's to leave now, say's the club has been a joke the last 4 years

Surely he only means the last year and a bit, everything was great prior to that.

It started going to he dogs after we blew the champs league, finished 5th and then appointed Souness.  Souness was here from 2004. So 4 years is about right.

Guest elbee909

It started going to he dogs after we blew the champs league, finished 5th and then appointed Souness.  Souness was here from 2004. So 4 years is about right.

I was being subtly sarcastic, so I do agree. :)

I was being subtly sarcastic, so I do agree. :)

:-[

Thought he was diplomatic in the Sky interview yesterday without being particularly supportive of Kinnear when he said that he couldn't say whether JFK should be given the job because no-one knows what is going on at the club - a bit different to Duff.

I saw that interview. In the past Shay has been quick to rubbish talk of him leaving. He hasn't this time.

Can't blame him to be honest. The sooner the ownership situation is sorted out the better.

Guest Darth Toon

Shay on his way? Surely the Toon can't afford to begin asset-stripping

Last updated at 11:28 AM on 19th November 2008

What is going on with Shay Given? One minute he is being linked with a move to Tottenham and the next Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni is hawking him around Italy.

The suspicion is that Newcastle think they might be able to cash in on the 32-year-old to the tune of £6 million, while the goalkeeper is looking for a final pay day after more than 10 years at St James' Park.

Yet the Irishman is one of the best players at the club and, while Steve Harper is an able deputy, it doesn't make much sense to sell off one of the guys giving you a chance of survival.

With Michael Owen's future already uncertain and James Milner sold off in the last transfer window, could it be that owner Mike Ashley has decided to asset strip the club if he can't sell it?

January could make Newcastle the comedy club once again, but it wouldn't be very funny for anyone connected to them outside the boardroom.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1087399/HATCHET-MAN--Shay-way-Surely-Toon-afford-begin-asset-stripping.html?ITO=1490

Just fucking depressing now really.  :thdn:

I think if he leaves in January that it is going to send out some very bad messages. 

Given has put up with a lot but has always been positive that things are going to improve - if he is now ready to jump ship, thas does not bode well for what he thinks the future is for the club.

Also, if our most respected player is allowed to leave, it shows that the management are prepared to sell anyone and that will make us vulnerable to other clubs trying to poach our better players.

Guest Jawesome

If we sell him and he is willing to stay I think that might be the final straw for me with this club.  He makes me think 'Newcastle United' in a way that others can't.

Guest nufc_kev

He's the only one i'd not bemoan a move, Owen take note you t***.

What an idiotic comment to call Owen a twat. He's been nothing but a model professional at our club, and has handled all the shite that's gone on around him brilliantly.