FORUM UPDATES: Slow tonight for 15 mins, doing some digging...

Dave

Just to let everyone know, we (well, Rich, SMF people and our host) are still messing with things behind the scenes. So some errors will continue for the time being, and some new ones may well show up.

Please keep reporting them. :thup:

Had SMF errors earlier and some about half an hour ago too. TBH id rather a couple of errors everyday that starting the forum over again! That would be terrible and it could potentially take months to get back to what it is now as im sure people would rather just use other forums that 1 with only a few threads in its database.

Had SMF errors earlier and some about half an hour ago too. TBH id rather a couple of errors everyday that starting the forum over again! That would be terrible and it could potentially take months to get back to what it is now as im sure people would rather just use other forums that 1 with only a few threads in its database.

It shouldn't come to that. As it stands we're doubling our RAM on Monday afternoon at a cost of £10 more per month, as we've been recommended to do so by 2 SMF tech guys and a technical support guy from our new host. Also, I'm currently working with those SMF guys to "fix" certain things they've found wrong with the forum already, which will hopefully help even further.

Basically there's SMF tech guys working on some aspects (i.e. discovering what exactly causes slowness/errors - discovered so far that the Search function is a real issue, but this should be fixed tonight), Tagadab tech guys working on some other aspects (i.e. tuning the server to support the forum better) and myself doing stuff under instruction.

There'll be more downtime in the early hours tonight as I hopefully fix the Search function once and for all, I'll try and do it as late as possible so as to disrupt as few people as possible. It won't be down all night though.

Overall though now, thanks to Dave setting us away with the SMF guys I feel I've got the support I need to be able to finish the job (as it were) and with me in constant contact with Tagadab I feel as though the whole thing is well-covered. It was getting extremely frustrating battling it all on my own with only Google and stuff as any sort of knowledge base.

Although it's cost us, it'll be worth it in the long run I'd expect. Restarting the forum is an absolute last resort.

"Search" has been disabled today for two reasons:

1) While I work to get it speeded up I don't want people using the function/potentially affecting the process.

2) If some inconsiderate fuckers search during the game (like people were last week!) then it could cabbage the whole forum for everybody - and we know that it's gonna be a barrel of laughs on here this afternoon, so would hate for that to happen.

I'll let people know when it's all back to normal. Since 7am I did manage to get one other large problem fixed (the IP lookup function that we have as Admins), so progress is still being made!

I've got stuff going on in the background that won't be helping at all. Will stop it at 1pm so it's fine for the pre-match build, the match and the inevitably glorious aftermath.

Will set it away again around midnight and leave it going overnight, so the forum will be a bit slower than usual then.