FORUM UPDATES: Slow tonight for 15 mins, doing some digging...

Dave

Any SMF connection errors for anybody tonight?

I dealt with the new hosts today and they made some changes to the database (nowt to do with hosting) that they were hoping would enable us to manage many more users than we've had so far.

At least if that happens we know it's not the actual hosting at fault, moreso the board technology (surprise, surprise)!

If anyone has had any SMF connection errors since teatime, please say so.

Worst night so far in terms of loading speed.

How bad has it been? (Are we talking just general slowness or the page creation times?)

You've been a massive help mate, keeping this thread going.

Worst night so far in terms of loading speed.

How bad has it been? (Are we talking just general slowness or the page creation times?)

You've been a massive help mate, keeping this thread going.

I feel like a twat every time I post in it :lol:

I had a few SMF errors around 5pm at work, then its been page creations that have been very slow earlier this evening.

All fine and dandy now though. :thup:

The changes didn't take place until about 5.30pm, so not too worried with anything prior to that (apparently there was some built-in setting in the forum code that meant we were tripping over when it got busy, carried over from the previous one obviously.)

How slow are we talking on the pages? I average at about 0.1 seconds, I think, generally.

If the SMF errors have been rectified by Tagadab then it's up to us to get an Optimizer installed on the forum (can yield speed/performance improvements of up to 80% apparently and comes highly recommended). Unfortunately this isn't the most simple of procedures and we may need outside help to get it sorted.

I know it's a pain in the arse the length of time it's taking to get everything to how it should be, but it's the nature of the beast unfortunately, have to tackle it bit by bit.

If nobody posts errors then we don't know anything's wrong, as well, so I'm honestly grateful. If we can narrow down the times of when we're at our slowest it means I can gather data across that period and send it to Tagadab and they can hopefully do something about it, like they did tonight. That's only been fixed because the likes of yourself reported it with a time and we were able to pinpoint what exactly what was wrong.

:clap:

Any SMF connection errors for anybody tonight?

I dealt with the new hosts today and they made some changes to the database (nowt to do with hosting) that they were hoping would enable us to manage many more users than we've had so far.

At least if that happens we know it's not the actual hosting at fault, moreso the board technology (surprise, surprise)!

If anyone has had any SMF connection errors since teatime, please say so.

I had that problem earlier but forgot to post in here so have no idea at what time, sorry.

The changes didn't take place until about 5.30pm, so not too worried with anything prior to that (apparently there was some built-in setting in the forum code that meant we were tripping over when it got busy, carried over from the previous one obviously.)

How slow are we talking on the pages? I average at about 0.1 seconds, I think, generally.

If the SMF errors have been rectified by Tagadab then it's up to us to get an Optimizer installed on the forum (can yield speed/performance improvements of up to 80% apparently and comes highly recommended). Unfortunately this isn't the most simple of procedures and we may need outside help to get it sorted.

I know it's a pain in the arse the length of time it's taking to get everything to how it should be, but it's the nature of the beast unfortunately, have to tackle it bit by bit.

If nobody posts errors then we don't know anything's wrong, as well, so I'm honestly grateful. If we can narrow down the times of when we're at our slowest it means I can gather data across that period and send it to Tagadab and they can hopefully do something about it, like they did tonight. That's only been fixed because the likes of yourself reported it with a time and we were able to pinpoint what exactly what was wrong.

:clap:

Don't tell them how to fix problems, if they do something and it doesn't work then don't pay for it.  If you tell them what you want them to do and it comes at a cost then you can't really complain if you don't gain anything from it.

PS

I think the problems I had earlier were before 5:30 but I had problems getting on here about 10 to 20 minutes ago, it just wouldn't load a page.

Hadn't really had anything to report until i read this... i mean, the pages take quite a while to load for me - in comparison to that anyhow. What happens is that the banner at the top comes up with a grey background - for like four seconds - and then the rest pops up. It's hardly an issue like, i'm not complaining or owt, just reading that surprised me.

It took me from 02:54 to 02:57 to load a page, it can't be the server spec' as only 22 users and 2 guests were online at the time.  Even a low spec' server working right should be able to handle that sort of load.

It seems to me that the problem is not in the host's service, but some sort of database inconsistency or an unlikely bottleneck in the SMF code.. If you have access to the log files, make sure you note which is the last accessed page and what's the exact query that was executed before the db error.