Newcastle vs Wigan 15/11/08 - Pre-Match Thread

Guest Darth Toon

Sibierski gutted to miss St James's Park return

Nov 14 2008 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

FORMER United star Antoine Sibierski has revealed his disappointment at missing out on a return to St James’s Park.

Wigan striker Sibierski is on loan at Norwich City under Glenn Roeder, who took him to St James’s Park two seasons ago.

But the man who hit eight goals in his one season with the Magpies, insists this is the one match he would not want to miss above all others.

“I wanted to know when Wigan played at St James’s Park, and when I found out I would miss the game, I was very disappointed,” Sibierski, 34.

“If there was one game I didn’t want to miss, it was this one.

“I had a great year up there, maybe the best in my career.

“I just tried to be honest, and to be a man. If Newcastle fans see you are not lazy, and trying your best, they will support you.

“It’s sad to see where they are now, because I’m still a big Newcastle fan.

“Every weekend I hope they win, and I look for their result. If they lose, I’m disappointed.

“When I retire, I’m going to go with my son to see Newcastle play, as they’re the team I support.

“But Wigan have got some very good players, and they play very well. They are not on a good run, but they are capable of going to St James’s Park and playing well.”

When i think back to that woeful 06/07 season i think of Sibierski. :) I've got oodles of respect for him tbh, and i know the only reason why we loved him was cos he did better than shit, but he had some quality touches. Made Europe exciting atleast. That winner against Fenerbahce was absolutely mint. :thup:

Guest Heneage

I love Sib, came in under a cloud of fans being gutted we had got him and what a shit signing he was, but he not only scored some really important goals like Fenebache at Home but he did it with a smile and showed no dis-taste to the fans at all. I was waiting once after work and he actually began talking to me, I was in shock, 99% of players sit their button lipped playing with phones, but along with Pav he is the nicest guy I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.

Guest rebel_yell12

Did anybody notice if Owen took the armband when he come on last week?  I was told elsewhere online that he did not.  Does this (and the fact that JK will only give him a few minutes this week as well) indicate that Owen is no longer captain?  It seems a bit odd to have the captain on the "bench" despite being fit and the match being a "must win" against similarly placed opposition.

Did anybody notice if Owen took the armband when he come on last week?  I was told elsewhere online that he did not.  Does this (and the fact that JK will only give him a few minutes this week as well) indicate that Owen is no longer captain?  It seems a bit odd to have the captain on the "bench" despite being fit and the match being a "must win" against similarly placed opposition.

He didn't, but it's normal.

Seems a bit harsh to take the band off Butt when he's had it for 70 minutes of the game. Same happened when Shearer came off the bench

Wigan Athletic and Egypt goal scoring sensation Amr Zaki is set to miss tomorrows game against Newcastle United at St. James` Park but Antoine Sibierski could make a surprise return.

Zaki hasn`t travelled with the Latics squad up to the North East and neither as Emile Heskey but there is a return to the fold for former Newcastle striker Sibierski who has been out on loan at Norwich City for the past few weeks

With both Latics strikers out injured and only Henri Camara in reserve it isn`t surprising that boss Steve Bruce has recalled Sibierski and the Frenchman could well be in line for his first Premier League start of the season

http://www.wigan.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=131962

Wigan Athletic and Egypt goal scoring sensation Amr Zaki is set to miss tomorrows game against Newcastle United at St. James` Park but Antoine Sibierski could make a surprise return.

Zaki hasn`t travelled with the Latics squad up to the North East and neither as Emile Heskey but there is a return to the fold for former Newcastle striker Sibierski who has been out on loan at Norwich City for the past few weeks

With both Latics strikers out injured and only Henri Camara in reserve it isn`t surprising that boss Steve Bruce has recalled Sibierski and the Frenchman could well be in line for his first Premier League start of the season

http://www.wigan.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=131962

excellent news for us

Zaki definitely out

"In a phone call between Amr Zaky and his official website AmrZaky.com, Zaky said that he is not fit to face Newcastle United tomorrow and he is rulled out of the team trip due to injury.

Zaky did not train this morning because of his injury and the coach decided not to rush him into tomorrow hard clash.

http://www.amrzaky.com/en/news6.htm "

Same site says Heskey out and Sib attended Wigan training. Oh my.

Great having Zaki had some sick premonition about him scoring a brace or three, while on the subject of letting in goals any news on who's going to partner Colo, surely not Cacapa agian ...

These are the games Taylor comes unstuck in, ones where we take the initiative and the defence pushes up. He fails to position himself and gets drawn towards the ball too easily, meaning they can get in behind us with a 1-2. (See West brom)

Guest toonlass

These are the games Taylor comes unstuck in, ones where we take the initiative and the defence pushes up. He fails to position himself and gets drawn towards the ball too easily, meaning they can get in behind us with a 1-2. (See West brom)

Good job he has been ruled out as unfit then, eh?

The games keep on getting bigger as the weeks go by for Newcastle.

Whilst I suggested earlier in the week that the defeat to Fulham wasn't that much of a body blow, it does in the same breath make this game doubly important. A passionate home crowd as per, combined with a motivated set of players should see the points staying at SJP.

Much of the pre-match talk has been about whether Owen will be recalled, and in all likelihood, he will. (Though, it would be a refreshing sight to see JK keep faith in Martins and Ameobi who, let's face it, haven't done an awful lot wrong). The thing with Owen is however, he is always liable to get on the end of a through ball, a loose pass, etc. Put it this way, when you've got the goal at your mercy from 10 yards out, who out of Owen, Shola or Martins would you want to be the offensive player on the ball? As much as it'd be nice to see Martins smash the ball at 2,864.67km/h, or Shola fall over in an ever-comical fashion, I'd want Owen there. Granted, a goal is not guaranteed, as last weekend showed. But I digress.

These are the sorts of games where I think we could just see the best of Jonas. It's a game against, quite frankly, mediocre opposition, in terms of the PL at least. It's a game that provided he gets on the ball enough, havoc can be caused. If he compliments his tehnical skills and speed with the right attitude (which, I must say, at Fulham didn't seem to be entirely there throughout), then Wigan will be in deep, errr, waste material.

In terms of what Wigan have to offer, if Heskey isn't playing then I must say, it's a huge blow to them. Whilst Zaki has been getting the plaudits for some excellent striker's play (and rightly so), Heskey continues to work his socks off, winning aerial battles, holding the play up for midfielders to join the attack, and generally give defenders an uncomfortable afternoon. Zaki without Heskey is not the same as the Zaki with Heskey, but with the Newcastle defence always liable to get up to their old tricks of, well, generally not defending, either of these 2 players could cause problems.

But with the home support, a JK pep-talk and Cacapa leading the line (well, maybe not), a home win looks likely.

So for me, a 2-1 win to Newcastle, although I doubt it will be as straightforward as some people seem to be suggesting. Owen to get a goal to make an average performance look good, and Jonas to get the other in a MOM performance. Ameobi to fall over 3 times or more, as well.

I can also see Wigan taking the lead. A win from that situation would be an ideal afternoon's work.

Guest Heneage

Zaki definitely out

"In a phone call between Amr Zaky and his official website AmrZaky.com, Zaky said that he is not fit to face Newcastle United

He must really rate us.