Should Shola be offered a new contract?

TRon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest toonlass

Doesn't matter whether we think he should or not, with Joe now in place as manager until the end of the season he will be given a new contract and probably at double his wages for the next 5 years!

No...

wait...

yes...

I rate him more than I rate Ashley!

So...

Lets get rid of Ashley instead, he's done next to nada after he discovered that the £10 he had in his pocket was a little bit short to run an EPL club.

Ultimately he's got to go, but considering the squad we have at the moment and assuming there's no massive spending in January I don't think we can afford to let him go before the end of the season when his contract expires.

Players like Shola, Smith, Duff & Butt are holding the club back and ironically would be the type of player who would probably stay if we got relegated.  They're not good enough, too old, too slow, or some combination of all three.  Add to that they're on very decent wages and we're left with players that are on too high wages to go to a club more fitting to their abilities and aren't anywhere near good enough of playing for a UEFA or CL club who might pay their wages.

So we end up stuck with them until their contract expires, even then the manager/board are sometimes convinced to offer them a new contract under some misplaced sense of loyalty.

Offering him a short-term contract sounds like trying to hedge your bets. You either have to give him a vote of confidence and make him a decent offer or let him go.

I'd offer him a long-term contract. That doesn't mean that he has to play every week, or that you're abandoning any effort to bring someone else in. Realistically, Viduka is now neither use nor ornament, and Shola is the only target man we have.

Guest Stephen927

Offering him a short-term contract sounds like trying to hedge your bets. You either have to give him a vote of confidence and make him a decent offer or let him go.

I'd offer him a long-term contract. That doesn't mean that he has to play every week, or that you're abandoning any effort to bring someone else in. Realistically, Viduka is now neither use nor ornament, and Shola is the only target man we have.

Aye, handing him a one year deal makes it clear to everybody that we simply want a fee for him.