Should Shola be offered a new contract?

TRon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Success in the premier league is squad based

Frankly, Shola isnt anything amazing, very average at best, but the lad trys, and we have got to stop letting players go, we are going through transfer windows by letting players go first, then trying to replace them, which is very difficult and risky. we need players like shola to play in cup games, or when we are desperate, and that makes he more valuable when u need to rest players and stuff

Give shola a new contract, for how long i dont know, but we need to start building a sqaud and stop letting players go without replacing them

:lol:

Success in the premier league is squad based

Frankly, Shola isnt anything amazing, very average at best, but the lad trys, and we have got to stop letting players go, we are going through transfer windows by letting players go first, then trying to replace them, which is very difficult and risky. we need players like shola to play in cup games, or when we are desperate, and that makes he more valuable when u need to rest players and stuff

Give shola a new contract, for how long i dont know, but we need to start building a sqaud and stop letting players go without replacing them

Drivel. Makes me want to throw up even, a mixture of popular myths with half truths. Your logic is pretty skewed.

Amazing how many people would give him a new contract because of a small resale value. The guy is like a bad stench; he won't leave unless his contract ends and we give him the boot; last summer has proven that. As a player he is nowhere near the desired level. With Owen, Viduka and him likely to leave our strikeforce needs a major overhaul anyway. Keep Martins as a squad player and find two or three other players capable of performing consistently at Premiership level.

Guest Stephen927

Amazing how many people would give him a new contract because of a small resale value. The guy is like a bad stench; he won't leave unless his contract ends and we give him the boot; last summer has proven that. As a player he is nowhere near the desired level. With Owen, Viduka and him likely to leave our strikeforce needs a major overhaul anyway. Keep Martins as a squad player and find two or three other players capable of performing consistently at Premiership level.

They cost money, who knows how much is going to be made available, either with Ashley here or any potential new owners.

If there was money to replace Shola and the other players who's contracts are running out, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

They cost money, who knows how much is going to be made available, either with Ashley here or any potential new owners.

If there was money to replace Shola and the other players who's contracts are running out, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Agree 100%, and until we know there is any money available we can't afford to get rid of players as we might not be able to replace them.

Agree 100%, and until we know there is any money available we can't afford to get rid of players as we might not be able to replace them.

We could replace him without spending a penny tbh. I'd give Ranger his chance to see what he can do for a start.

In fact, getting Shola off the payroll and promoting Ranger wouldn't harm the team and trim the wage bill substantially.

We could replace him without spending a penny tbh. I'd give Ranger his chance to see what he can do for a start.

In fact, getting Shola off the payroll and promoting Ranger wouldn't harm the team and trim the wage bill substantially.

Is Nile Ranger a target man who will win the ball in the air? I always had the impression he was more of an Anelka type, big but better with the ball at his feet.

The genuine target men in our side for me are Viduka, Shola, Carroll and Xisco. Viduka will cost 80k/wk to sit on his arse if we want to give him a new contract, Xisco wasn't getting a start ahead of Shola, and that leaves us with Carroll.

I think with Shola at least you know what you will get and a 1-2 year contract would be a decent option for a back up target man.

The two of you are off your head. The last thing we should be doing if money is thight (which would be a disgrace, but that's another matter) is handing out contract extension to players who have proven themselves over years and years to not be good enough..

The two of you are off your head. The last thing we should be doing if money is thight (which would be a disgrace, but that's another matter) is handing out contract extension to players who have proven themselves over years and years to not be good enough..

If we apply that logic to our club we would end up with a squad of about 6 players.

If we apply that logic to our club we would end up with a squad of about 6 players.

Exactly. Yes in a perfect world we would get rid of shola, but unless we are in a position to actually bring in a player to replace him with we should keep him on for an extra year at least. Ofcourse Ranger and other youngesters should be given their chance, but what happens if they're aren't any good?

There was one time in his career here when that stuff about his potential, etc, was true. That was going into the 06/07 season when we'd signed Martins, and he was on a really good run of form. Then he got that hip injury and he's generally been even worse than when he was before that little run under Roeder. He's come in and done a relatively acceptable job lately but his goal record still absolutely stinks. Time to go. It was time to go several seasons ago, tbh.

Exactly. Yes in a perfect world we would get rid of shola, but unless we are in a position to actually bring in a player to replace him with we should keep him on for an extra year at least. Ofcourse Ranger and other youngesters should be given their chance, but what happens if they're aren't any good?

NE5 has a point you know. A club of our size owes it to itself and us supporters to have a level of ambition that matches the club's stature. Over the past few seasons not only our results have dwindled, but it now seems our expectations are also getting significantly lower. I don't think that is acceptable. The owner, whether it was Shepherd, Ashley or a new man needs to be prepared to fund continuous improvement. If they aren't, we will fall further behind, because the competition certainly IS investing and improving. For me, it would be another sign of lowered ambition if we offered a below par player a new contract. If that's the best the owner can offer the club they are really letting us down and deserve to be hounded out.